Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dykes in midfield? 18:09 - Dec 30 with 4337 viewssevenhoop

How about this? We put Dykes in midfield , thought he did well when moved there last night. Where he can use his massive energy bank, is right footed, can offer much more going forward than the others, and it’s hardly a loss to lose him out of the forward line. And as our striking options are so limited, a flexible 4-6-0?
Dykes in midfield? on 19:24 - Dec 30 with 3576 viewsstainrods_elbow

Brilliant idea - he can clearly pick a pass, has tight control, and is outstanding when it comes to making/linking up play. Any other revolutionary brainwaves?
[Post edited 30 Dec 2023 19:28]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Dykes in midfield? on 19:26 - Dec 30 with 3601 viewsWatford_Ranger

Pretty much anyone fit is probably playing against Cardiff.

No, not you Aaron.
Dykes in midfield? on 21:46 - Jan 14 with 3023 viewssevenhoop

Dykes in midfield? on 19:24 - Dec 30 by stainrods_elbow

Brilliant idea - he can clearly pick a pass, has tight control, and is outstanding when it comes to making/linking up play. Any other revolutionary brainwaves?

Thought that was one of his best games for us today and looked a player, in a kind of advanced 8 role. Gave us a lot more than anyone in midfield has given us all season
Dykes in midfield? on 21:50 - Jan 14 with 2978 viewsQPRConor2000

Dykes in midfield? on 21:46 - Jan 14 by sevenhoop

Thought that was one of his best games for us today and looked a player, in a kind of advanced 8 role. Gave us a lot more than anyone in midfield has given us all season

Could it be the way forward perhaps for him?
Dykes in midfield? on 21:55 - Jan 14 with 2932 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Dykes in midfield? on 19:24 - Dec 30 by stainrods_elbow

NFM
[Post edited 14 Jan 21:58]
Dykes in midfield? on 21:56 - Jan 14 with 2927 viewsbosh67

The problem is that we know that Dykes actually can score goals if he is running forwards into the box, particularly with his head and sometimes with his foot. Mostly when he doesn't have time to think. My amazing plan is that we find a way to get the ball onto his head and possibly his foot running forward in the area from the wings? I know, it's madness.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Dykes in midfield? on 22:02 - Jan 14 with 2889 viewssevenhoop

Dykes in midfield? on 21:56 - Jan 14 by bosh67

The problem is that we know that Dykes actually can score goals if he is running forwards into the box, particularly with his head and sometimes with his foot. Mostly when he doesn't have time to think. My amazing plan is that we find a way to get the ball onto his head and possibly his foot running forward in the area from the wings? I know, it's madness.

Don’t disagree Bosh - how are you, btw? - if he had any kind of striker’s instinct to be in the right place at the right time, but he doesn’t
Dykes in midfield? on 22:07 - Jan 14 with 2855 viewsLblock

How about putting him in a field?

One that’s part of a sanctuary
With lots of carrots

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Login to get fewer ads

Dykes in midfield? on 22:19 - Jan 14 with 2828 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I thought he contributed more playing deep today, and ha a clearly been coached too.
Dykes in midfield? on 22:55 - Jan 14 with 2761 viewsstevec

He had that little rumble with Livermore and thereafter gave him a lot of space. All a bit odd as he hadn’t been too bad up until then.
Dykes in midfield? on 23:25 - Jan 14 with 2711 viewsParkRoyalR

Dykes in midfield? on 22:55 - Jan 14 by stevec

He had that little rumble with Livermore and thereafter gave him a lot of space. All a bit odd as he hadn’t been too bad up until then.

Actually did close him down for 1st goal but that was some strike and Colback had dropped too deep for 2nd.

On his toes and good anticipation for his goal today but with Willock + Chair not firing, today's formation is probably our Plan A and with better finishing we should have got something out of that game + formation today.
Dykes in midfield? on 23:31 - Jan 14 with 2701 viewsQPunkR

Ignore the goal from half a yard. I thought Dykes played better in that withdrawn role today. We need Armstrong up front to worry defences with his pace/threat of murdering them in cold blood but Dykes behind him can win some headers and flick on to him, plus did actually run about a bit today and close down the oppo

QPR - "shit but local"

Dykes in midfield? on 01:44 - Jan 15 with 2621 viewsJules4367

Can’t we just put him in a field - don’t care which field or where he chooses to stand in it !

Some options other than midfield:-

A Mine field though would be my preference - then for once he might be the explosive striker we thought we were getting

A cow pat covered field is my next choice and we could give him, Dozell, Dunne, Begovic, Kakay their own cow pats and play spot the difference!

Westfield - with a price sticker on and sales banner saying striker with striker’s boots - hardly used

Magnetic field (place magnets in the goal posts and ram a lump of iron into him to make him a more ‘attractive ‘ striker.

Just take him away from my field (of vision) and play Khoi!!
Dykes in midfield? on 07:15 - Jan 15 with 2447 viewsParkRoyalR

Dykes in midfield? on 23:31 - Jan 14 by QPunkR

Ignore the goal from half a yard. I thought Dykes played better in that withdrawn role today. We need Armstrong up front to worry defences with his pace/threat of murdering them in cold blood but Dykes behind him can win some headers and flick on to him, plus did actually run about a bit today and close down the oppo

Ignoring the half a yard and you ignore the very good movement, anticipation + being on his toes that went before it that was actually very good.

Very few lone striker's will score enough goals on their own to keep a side up and with Willock + Chair likewise this season not scoring enough and with no goals from midfield, if we've sorted set piece defensive weakness next priority is how we create more chances + score more goals.

Getting a goal-scorer in the transfer window might help as neither Dykes or Armstrong are natural goal-scorers but reckon we need to play the hand we have better.

On current form a 4-2-3-1 with Chair in the middle of Smyth and Armstrong is our best bet as for all Willock's undoubted ability just doesn't seem match fit or up for it.
Dykes in midfield? on 08:01 - Jan 15 with 2366 viewsDiscodroids

I'd be willing to give anything a roll of the dice at this point. I think relegation is about 90% certain as it stands.

Older posters on here will Remember Paul warhust being shifted up front from center back about 20 years ago for Sheffy Wendy and going on an emilio butragueño style blitzkreig goalscoring spree for about a dozen games. Who knows.. shift Clarke salter up front for a couple of games to create chaos from the conformity and banality , which so far this season, has left us neck deep in a shitpit.

fair enough, it's about as likely to happen as Keir Starmer taking up a job to clean protein depoists from second hand dildo's with a Q-tip, but fu ck it...

Play Avant-garde jazz Rangers, before it's too late. Which it probably is.
[Post edited 15 Jan 8:41]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Dykes in midfield? on 08:02 - Jan 15 with 2362 viewsstevec

This side is like a Frankenstein monster.

Doesn’t matter if the organs don’t work, we’ll just move them to a different part of the body.
Dykes in midfield? on 08:05 - Jan 15 with 2358 viewsMidlands_Ranger

Its not a bad idea leaving Dykes out in the middle of a field somewhere far away and hope he doesn't find his way back
Dykes in midfield? on 09:17 - Jan 15 with 2266 viewsStanFan

Just don't get the hatred for Dykes. Yes, he's a limited striker but he works hard, is rarely injured and never hides. I thought he had a good game yesterday - and he scored.
Dykes in midfield? on 09:27 - Jan 15 with 2236 viewsAntti_Heinola

Thought Dykes played really well yesterday. He now has 2 in 2 for the first time in yonks. If we have any chance at all of staying up, it needs him to find one of his rare goalscoring streaks, like when Austin joined. Maybe having sinclair up there with him helps.

Bare bones.

Dykes in midfield? on 09:37 - Jan 15 with 2203 viewsbosh67

Dykes in midfield? on 22:02 - Jan 14 by sevenhoop

Don’t disagree Bosh - how are you, btw? - if he had any kind of striker’s instinct to be in the right place at the right time, but he doesn’t

I'm okay Sevenhoop. Thanks for asking.

The thing with Dykes is that if he doesn't have time to think he's okay. It's when he seems to have time to think that he isn't too good. Most of his goals have come from running forward onto things and an instinctive header that he just connects with. We never seem to play to his strengths and although he doesn't have many, that ability to run on and connect to crosses put in quickly while he is facing the goal seem to work better for him. He can't do hold up play and he can't do one on ones. He's extremely limited but we don't make the most of the few things he can do, in my humble opinion.
[Post edited 15 Jan 9:39]

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Dykes in midfield? on 10:11 - Jan 15 with 2137 viewsParkRoyalR

Dykes in midfield? on 09:17 - Jan 15 by StanFan

Just don't get the hatred for Dykes. Yes, he's a limited striker but he works hard, is rarely injured and never hides. I thought he had a good game yesterday - and he scored.

It's mindless, same as grief Kakay gets and of late Dunne, it's group think bordering on herd mentality.

Warburton bought Dykes to play a role in a system, that system has now changed.

Clarke plays Dykes ahead of better strikers to play a key role in his system, knowing your 11 best players don't necessarily make you the best team (otherwise Larkeche would be be starting for us)

It's a bit like buying Sam Field and criticising him for not being a creative midfielder or scoring enough, mindless.

We have a few players who wear our shirt with pride, more often than not Dykes is in this small group.
Dykes in midfield? on 10:38 - Jan 15 with 2085 viewsdaveB

Dykes in midfield? on 09:17 - Jan 15 by StanFan

No real hatred for him, he's just not very good
Dykes in midfield? on 10:49 - Jan 15 with 2036 viewstraininvain

Dykes in midfield? on 10:38 - Jan 15 by daveB

No real hatred for him, he's just not very good

Exactly. This squad of players has won 8 games out of the last 60 odd. That’s one win in every 7.5 games.

They’re not very good yet we’re still talking about slight tweaks to tactics and starting 11 as some kind of silver bullet. Can’t believe the penny hasn’t dropped for some on here.
[Post edited 15 Jan 10:50]
Dykes in midfield? on 11:15 - Jan 15 with 1971 viewsParkRoyalR

Dykes in midfield? on 10:49 - Jan 15 by traininvain

Exactly. This squad of players has won 8 games out of the last 60 odd. That’s one win in every 7.5 games.

They’re not very good yet we’re still talking about slight tweaks to tactics and starting 11 as some kind of silver bullet. Can’t believe the penny hasn’t dropped for some on here.
[Post edited 15 Jan 10:50]

So we either give up and accept our fate or roll the dice one last time.

I cannot recall Chair playing in the CAM role often if at all.

Some of our fans were surprised we had no low-ball bids in the summer for him, I was'nt.

Some of our fans believe he's worth way north of £3m, I don't, but he could be.

I do believe though without a fully firing Willock he is our best chance of staying up, if, we can get him on the ball more in the middle and not allow him to be marginalised in games like he was on Sunday.

Watford's game plan was Livermore in that Quarter Back role, Wednesday likewise with Bannan, Man City at the weekend with Kevin De Bruyn who changed the dynamic of that team within 15 minutes of returning after a 5 month lay-off.

Armstrong & Smyth have shown they can fill the wide spots adequately in the absence of a fully fit Willock.

Until we move Chair into the CAM role, now that Manager has wised up to some of his mistakes, I hav'nt given up.
Dykes in midfield? on 11:44 - Jan 15 with 1893 viewsBluce_Ree

I used to think this about Mike Sheron.

He was reasonably skillful, seemed quite intelligent and could get past players. He just couldn't hit Dawn French with a banjo.

But the truth was that we were better off with him out of the squad. Which is probably the truth here too.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024