Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
West London Sport 13:52 - Jan 20 with 22056 viewsQPRSteve

Anyone know what's going on at WLS?

No report on the new CEO and now nothing on the Dozzel move.

Dave McIntyre seems to be very quiet at the moment. Is he OK?
West London Sport on 23:23 - Feb 28 with 5376 viewsSydneyRs

West London Sport on 09:10 - Feb 28 by PlanetHonneywood

I just don't get Twitter!

I went on it once at the suggestion of a friend at BA, because I had an issue with them and their customer (dis)service weren't responding. 'Tweet them. They'll act then!' Bloody did too.

But I never hear anything positive about Twitter, and everyone seems to moan about the idiots on it. Plus, anything that gives people like Trump and Barton a platform isn't good, and then I look at Musk and think: would I go for a beer with you? And the answer is no, my caant radar screams avoid. And he's a dangerous one at that!

I would say Twitter contains both the best and worst of the internet. You can manage things with blocking and muting so that the more odious content and people/accounts are largely avoided. On the flip side, there is some really great content too and also some terrific banter and humour at times.

Despite its many faults I find it to be the best of the social media platforms.
[Post edited 28 Feb 23:24]
West London Sport on 23:30 - Feb 28 with 5349 viewsSydneyRs

West London Sport on 11:48 - Feb 28 by SheffieldHoop

Twitter = Decentralization of the media. They're losing their control, and they don't like that.

I find it really funny because the exact same people who made Twitter a thing, spent years telling us all to get on it....are now telling us it's too dangerous because they don't like some of the things people say on it, usually about their mates. I think the vendetta against Musk (And subsequently twitter) started when he called that Diver bloke a "Pedo guy" - The Media didn't like that one bit.

I find it all hilariously entertaining. But probably because I see it through the "Right wing conspiracy theorist" lens rather than the "Liberal type who only believes things are true after they've been published in the media" lens.
[Post edited 28 Feb 11:52]

The media are not losing control at all, they still form the narrative on most things and to most people. Twitter is just another outlet now controlled by a billionaire using it for their own ends, just like most of the mainstream media.
West London Sport on 09:04 - Feb 29 with 5072 viewsLazyFan

In the old days that paid 0898 number Club Call, QPR was ranked 4th for people who would call that.

Of course, this was when we were in the Prem, but still higher than many other bigger clubs.

The reason was that the papers (this is before the web really got going) gave us almost zero coverage despite being in the Prem. You may remember it well, the Standard doing constant puff pieces on Maure on the back page, Arsenal on the inside back, Spurs with a column and possibly Palarse with a snippet and that's it. Nothing on QPR for ages until they felt obliged to do at least a little piece on us. Remember this was a Prem QPR.

The only way to find out what going on at the club, like, for example, we had signed Andy Sinton from Brentford and what sort of player he was, was to call Club Call.

What does all this mean? It means QPR fans have a high desire for information on their club, and this could be monetized even if it's just the usual ads and offer bait. The demand is there; WLS filled it along with sites like these, but as they drop out, I would expect this site and some others to pick up.

As the demand is there.

zzzzzzzzzz

West London Sport on 09:22 - Feb 29 with 5021 viewsNW5Hoop

West London Sport on 09:04 - Feb 29 by LazyFan

In the old days that paid 0898 number Club Call, QPR was ranked 4th for people who would call that.

Of course, this was when we were in the Prem, but still higher than many other bigger clubs.

The reason was that the papers (this is before the web really got going) gave us almost zero coverage despite being in the Prem. You may remember it well, the Standard doing constant puff pieces on Maure on the back page, Arsenal on the inside back, Spurs with a column and possibly Palarse with a snippet and that's it. Nothing on QPR for ages until they felt obliged to do at least a little piece on us. Remember this was a Prem QPR.

The only way to find out what going on at the club, like, for example, we had signed Andy Sinton from Brentford and what sort of player he was, was to call Club Call.

What does all this mean? It means QPR fans have a high desire for information on their club, and this could be monetized even if it's just the usual ads and offer bait. The demand is there; WLS filled it along with sites like these, but as they drop out, I would expect this site and some others to pick up.

As the demand is there.

That demand is almost impossible to monetise, because the bottom fell out of the digital ad market when the social media sites stopped prioritising stories from publications. Literally, entire business models went down the dumper overnight. Digital ad rates are low for publications with millions of viewers. They are minuscule for niche sites. I'm amazed WLS – a site from which journalists expect to earn a living by catering to a small and local audience – has lasted this long tbh.
West London Sport on 09:28 - Feb 29 with 4993 viewsNorthernr

West London Sport on 09:22 - Feb 29 by NW5Hoop

That demand is almost impossible to monetise, because the bottom fell out of the digital ad market when the social media sites stopped prioritising stories from publications. Literally, entire business models went down the dumper overnight. Digital ad rates are low for publications with millions of viewers. They are minuscule for niche sites. I'm amazed WLS – a site from which journalists expect to earn a living by catering to a small and local audience – has lasted this long tbh.

Same. If it wasn't for the Patreon I would have packed LFW in a couple of years ago.
West London Sport on 10:09 - Feb 29 with 4842 viewsdaveB

West London Sport on 23:30 - Feb 28 by SydneyRs

The media are not losing control at all, they still form the narrative on most things and to most people. Twitter is just another outlet now controlled by a billionaire using it for their own ends, just like most of the mainstream media.

Twitter, Facebok etc is all part of the media, just a different way of doing it
The only real difference is that the so called mainstream media, tv, newspapers, radio etc is regulated whilst social media isn't
[Post edited 29 Feb 10:09]
West London Sport on 10:09 - Feb 29 with 4831 viewsrobith

West London Sport on 11:09 - Feb 28 by daveB

laughable to say Les was a mole for Dave Mc, he was getting scoops for years before les was on the scene, he's just a very good journalist

He did say it was a number of factors as to why coverage has reduced but people want to only focus on one of them, we have no idea whats going on in Daves life and why he took this decision, people should lay off the man

People still have a mad thing about Les conspiracy theories, there's some QPR lad on the Championship subreddit who constantly posts about Les' "agenda" and saying he cost us money by giving cheap sponsorships to black owned businesses. Full brain worms stuff
West London Sport on 22:19 - Feb 29 with 4385 viewsSheffieldHoop

West London Sport on 23:30 - Feb 28 by SydneyRs

I think they are losing control, and it seems due to the lack of monetization, so do they. Why isn't anybody willing to pay for their content I wonder? Having witnessed how they've (Along with the deep state(s) + Social media) behaved over the previous decade and longer, I know why I'm not.

The twitter algorithm was made open source following the Musk takeover. It wasn't in the 15-odd years before that, when it was obviously censoring sensible people, amplifying a bunch of nutters, doing untold damage to many societies globally, and generally declaring its war on Western culture/Capitalism. But I guess you were fine with it back then.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Login to get fewer ads

West London Sport on 22:31 - Feb 29 with 4431 viewsNW5Hoop

West London Sport on 22:19 - Feb 29 by SheffieldHoop

I think they are losing control, and it seems due to the lack of monetization, so do they. Why isn't anybody willing to pay for their content I wonder? Having witnessed how they've (Along with the deep state(s) + Social media) behaved over the previous decade and longer, I know why I'm not.

The twitter algorithm was made open source following the Musk takeover. It wasn't in the 15-odd years before that, when it was obviously censoring sensible people, amplifying a bunch of nutters, doing untold damage to many societies globally, and generally declaring its war on Western culture/Capitalism. But I guess you were fine with it back then.

I can tell you very easily why people stopped paying for mainstream media. And it's nothing to do with deep states.

It's because people got used to getting things for free. Simple as that. Nothing more.
West London Sport on 07:27 - Mar 1 with 4142 viewshubble

West London Sport on 22:31 - Feb 29 by NW5Hoop

I can tell you very easily why people stopped paying for mainstream media. And it's nothing to do with deep states.

It's because people got used to getting things for free. Simple as that. Nothing more.

Not quite as simple as, because you don't speak for me: I was a regular newspaper reader - mainly the Guardian in fact - until I became so disillusioned with their bias (that bordered on propaganda) that I gave up. Now I can curate my own news feed, which means I can read a far broader spectrum of views and information than ithe mainstream offer. However, I still miss reading a physical paper and would still buy one if there was one I felt I would enjoy reading.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

West London Sport on 09:51 - Mar 1 with 3973 viewsBrianMcCarthy

West London Sport on 07:27 - Mar 1 by hubble

Not quite as simple as, because you don't speak for me: I was a regular newspaper reader - mainly the Guardian in fact - until I became so disillusioned with their bias (that bordered on propaganda) that I gave up. Now I can curate my own news feed, which means I can read a far broader spectrum of views and information than ithe mainstream offer. However, I still miss reading a physical paper and would still buy one if there was one I felt I would enjoy reading.

I'm the same as Hubble. Used to buy The Guardian and The Telegraph. Been years since I trusted any newspaper now. I mean, they used to be biased, but you could factor it in. Now it's just lies.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

West London Sport on 12:06 - Mar 1 with 3731 viewsSheffieldHoop

West London Sport on 22:31 - Feb 29 by NW5Hoop

You reckon? I pay for the Spectator, 3 Patreons at the time of writing, Lotus Eaters (Since Youtube demonetized it, more deep-state stuff) - Also Sky Sports, BT Sport, all the other channels my family watches, Netflix, Spotify, I even had DAZN back when it was cheap. I pay for far more content than I can consume.

Meanwhile, the likes of Triggermonetry, Lotus Eaters, Novara have people throwing money at them. Clive doesn't show the number of Patreons he has, but starting at $3.5 a month I'd guess he's making a bare minimum $3500 - Probably 5x that

People not paying for content. In 2024. Yeah right.

West London Sport on 13:48 - Mar 1 with 3637 viewsNW5Hoop

Not speaking for you. I'm speaking for newspaper consumption patterns. Which are more important than any individual's reasons in assessing why people buy or don't buy. And it is that simple: circulation figures started falling off a cliff when people got used to information being free.

The reason you can curate your own news feed is because you don't have to pay for the information any longer. QED.
[Post edited 1 Mar 13:49]
West London Sport on 14:24 - Mar 1 with 3461 viewsSheffieldHoop

West London Sport on 13:48 - Mar 1 by NW5Hoop

Not speaking for you. I'm speaking for newspaper consumption patterns. Which are more important than any individual's reasons in assessing why people buy or don't buy. And it is that simple: circulation figures started falling off a cliff when people got used to information being free.

The reason you can curate your own news feed is because you don't have to pay for the information any longer. QED.
[Post edited 1 Mar 13:49]

"The reason you can curate your own news feed is because you don't have to pay for the information any longer" - This is fundamentally untrue, in fact, it's pure cope. Millions of us are still paying for the BBC, while they act as cult leader for the MSM, their Liar in Chief. Millions of us have given up on it, and the rest of them, and are now using news sources we can trust. We'll happily support journalists who won't try and tell us that men are women, Muslims are Christians, and so on.

Good content that explains things people are interested in, in ways they recognise and understand, is quite easily monetizable. This website is proof of that.

West London Sport on 10:20 - Mar 2 with 3198 viewsDorse

That's why I read Viz.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

West London Sport on 11:18 - Mar 2 with 3076 viewsStainrod

Wow. I’m quite thick so I hadn’t realised that the “mainstream media” (which includes such woke propagandists as the Mail) were indoctrinating me with such dreadful lies. I must try and seek out those sources one can “trust”, exposing conspiracies of the “deep state”. I’ve heard Tucker Carson is rigorous at fact checking and great at telling truth to power. It’s also encouraging the Boris is back as a journalist as he was always someone you could trust exposing great EU plots such as their plans to compulsorily feed us straight bananas.
West London Sport on 12:49 - Mar 2 with 2951 viewstraininvain

West London Sport on 11:18 - Mar 2 by Stainrod

Wow. I’m quite thick so I hadn’t realised that the “mainstream media” (which includes such woke propagandists as the Mail) were indoctrinating me with such dreadful lies. I must try and seek out those sources one can “trust”, exposing conspiracies of the “deep state”. I’ve heard Tucker Carson is rigorous at fact checking and great at telling truth to power. It’s also encouraging the Boris is back as a journalist as he was always someone you could trust exposing great EU plots such as their plans to compulsorily feed us straight bananas.

The good news is that you can ‘curate’ your news feed on social media so that it aligns with your beliefs and dismiss anything you don’t like as ‘MSM fake news’. What a time to be alive.
[Post edited 2 Mar 12:50]
West London Sport on 13:48 - Mar 2 with 2789 viewshubble

West London Sport on 12:49 - Mar 2 by traininvain

The good news is that you can ‘curate’ your news feed on social media so that it aligns with your beliefs and dismiss anything you don’t like as ‘MSM fake news’. What a time to be alive.
[Post edited 2 Mar 12:50]

Seeing as it was me who said I can "curate my news feed" it's a shame you omitted to include what I followed that with, which was "so that I can read a far broader spectrum of views and information than the mainstream offer." But then I guess that wouldn't suit your rather sneery snipe at anyone who eschews the mainstream news in favour of what are (in many cases) far more independent sources.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

(No subject) (n/t) on 14:44 - Mar 2 with 2693 viewstraininvain

West London Sport on 13:48 - Mar 2 by hubble

Seeing as it was me who said I can "curate my news feed" it's a shame you omitted to include what I followed that with, which was "so that I can read a far broader spectrum of views and information than the mainstream offer." But then I guess that wouldn't suit your rather sneery snipe at anyone who eschews the mainstream news in favour of what are (in many cases) far more independent sources.

West London Sport on 14:46 - Mar 2 with 2683 viewstraininvain

West London Sport on 13:48 - Mar 2 by hubble

Mainstream news is far from perfect and ultimately we all need to decide upon the reporting standards required for the news and content we consume online. Independent sources aren’t necessarily more reliable than mainstream and vice versa but critical thinking is required and all too often that’s exploited by those with a lower level of accountability.

See the number of Americans who still believe the 2020 election was stolen despite no substantive evidence to back up this claim in a court of law. Even Fox News is now clarifying that the election wasn’t stolen whenever Trump makes this claim but those who want to believe otherwise will find independent sources that continue to peddle this myth and that’s one of the dangers with curating your news via social media.

I’m not saying that you’re being exploited as you’re clearly a bright bloke with worldly experience and capable of critical thinking. But there are plenty of people out there who are solely consuming news from unverified sources on Twitter etc which only to serve to amplify their existing opinions and beliefs. And that’s how people end up in living in echo chambers of lies exploited by populist leaders who are embracing the truth as a commodity in the online era.

I’ll leave it there as I don’t want to p1ss off Clive by turning this into a lengthy back and forth on issues that have already been done to death on this forum.
West London Sport on 15:25 - Mar 2 with 2614 viewsJimmyR

Isn’t the guardian the only one that isn’t owned by a billionaire? I don’t disagree re: bias
Just all the others have owners that have influence that bias - which I’d say makes them propaganda/mouth pieces for their owners
I don’t know, maybe I’m wrong and some of the others aren’t owned by a billionaire
West London Sport on 12:53 - Mar 3 with 2370 viewsdmm

A bit more from Dave Mc. As I think most of us suspected, he confirms QPR is the most read on WLS.

West London Sport on 13:31 - Mar 4 with 2061 viewsSheffieldHoop

West London Sport on 11:18 - Mar 2 by Stainrod

West London Sport on 16:29 - Mar 8 with 1632 viewsQPRSteve

Looks like Dave's back. Hopefully things are looking up.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/cifuentes-hails-qpr-baller-and-explains-clar
West London Sport on 22:30 - Mar 8 with 1214 viewsBrianMcCarthy

West London Sport on 16:29 - Mar 8 by QPRSteve

Looks like Dave's back. Hopefully things are looking up.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/cifuentes-hails-qpr-baller-and-explains-clar

Good news.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024