Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Manager 16:06 - Jan 28 with 15180 viewsPetros

I've been really supportive of most of his decisions, and like the way he does things. But what was that? Playing Willock, who clearly lacks the energy and intensity for a game of such magnitude, ahead of Smith? No high pressing, except once in the second half when their defender duly gave it straight to us? Sticking Willock and Chair on the wings with obvious orders not to roam, which is their (theoretical) strength? Eleven men back for every set piece when we have the fastest player on the pitch at centre forward? Was he playing for a draw? Mystifying, and very poor.
The Manager on 22:15 - Jan 28 with 2131 viewsLblock

Is he unquestionable then?

I personally think hes made as many bad decisions as good
He’s learning on the job in this league and there in lays my issue - a novice yet again.
Marti is a great coach and we are without doubt chalk n cheese compared to Ains. However if you cannot instill urgency into whatever collection of cowskuntz you have under you for that game then there’s questions to answer
Zero intensity at times and I just don’t get that

Marti can come out of this season with his stock high.
I’m convinced he will not manage us in League One
If that doesn’t concern people here then more fool them; for me we are in for a massive bad new dawn IF we finish where it looks like we will

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

The Manager on 22:17 - Jan 28 with 2077 viewsstainrods_elbow

The Manager on 17:52 - Jan 28 by Hunterhoop

The issue is not Cifuentes. Whilst I genuinely don’t think our football (when in possession) is much better than under Ainsworth, you can see what he’s trying and he’s a good ‘un in my view. But he’s not the messiah either!

The players are the issue and have been all along.

It is cut and dry for me. Smyth should start over Willock. In a relegation scrap you need players who want the ball and who want to go forward. We only stay up from here by scoring goals. Smyth keeps coming on with 10-20 left and improving us. Start him and give him a run of games.

Willock is protecting his body. He doesn’t want the ball and he doesn’t really want to sprint after it. He did not pull a muscle when he pulled up. If he had he would not have been able to run again, but he did, several times. He thought he might have, so he pulled up clutching his hamstring, but he hadn’t, so he played on. That is where he is at mentally. He is protecting his body. That’s understandable but you cannot start a player who is doing that. Bodies on the line and so forth.

Otherwise, we were poor. Huddersfield were better. We were lucky to get something.

But as Brian said, we live to fight another day.
[Post edited 28 Jan 18:21]

You agree the manager is not the issue, but then shoot your own argument in the foot by telling us how it was wrong to start Willock. Willock didn't start Willock - Marti did!

I agree (underlining this if only to get the usual agricultural suspects on here off my back who just want to abuse me, though, tellingly, not others who espouse a similarly balanced view) that it's mostly the players who are responsible for our plight, but to say that the management team bears no culpability for today's debacle is plain stupid.
[Post edited 28 Jan 22:20]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

The Manager on 22:23 - Jan 28 with 2042 viewsstainrods_elbow

The Manager on 19:20 - Jan 28 by numptydumpty

I think someone said something but it was of no consequence !!!!

😆

Just do yourself a favour and go back to sleep!
[Post edited 28 Jan 22:24]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

The Manager on 22:39 - Jan 28 with 2006 viewsslmrstid

Some crazy nonsense posted on here.

Here's a newsflash - our team is crap. They have been crap for 2 years. Football Manager is not real life - there is not a magic tactic that will make your team of crap players sweep all before them.

They are crap, and its not because of Marti.
The Manager on 22:56 - Jan 28 with 1934 viewsNed_Kennedys

The Manager on 18:37 - Jan 28 by StreathamRanger

Can't really disagree with this. All I would say is that if we can play that bad and still pick up a point then maybe that can be seen as a positive. After all, we've played better and lost. Hopefully a better performance up at Blackburn who are in dreadful form and then we could be unbeaten in 3. Could be a start.

Far too accepting of that dreadful performance and we were lucky to grab a draw.
Huddersfield were in poor form and their manager’s job on the line: they turned up and we didn’t. Literally nobody in our team had a good game.
Play like that against Blackburn away and they will beat us easily.
The Manager on 23:04 - Jan 28 with 1904 viewsPunteR

The Manager on 18:19 - Jan 28 by Hunterhoop

At goal kicks?!! C’mon Dave. When is anyone free half way up the pitch at goal kicks. It’s a trap with the defender giving himself the time to attack it.

Willock was given the ball countless times and didn’t want it and gave it straight back to Drewe. He pulled out of several runs. He didn’t get his body across his man between him and the on several occasions.

He’s protecting himself.

If anyone thinks he’s giving 100% and putting his body on the line they are utterly deluded.

There was a reason why Ainsworth wasn't starting him.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

The Manager on 07:45 - Jan 29 with 1723 viewstraininvain

The Manager on 23:04 - Jan 28 by PunteR

There was a reason why Ainsworth wasn't starting him.

Yeah Ainsworth was a real visionary. For all the criticism, Willock’s got more goals and assists than anyone else since Cifuentes joined.

Willock has three goals and two assists in 22 appearances with 14 starts.

Smyth has two goals and one assist in 27 appearances with 18 starts.

It’s not difficult to see why Cifuentes prefers Willock in a team that’s struggling to score goals.
[Post edited 29 Jan 7:59]
The Manager on 07:54 - Jan 29 with 1695 viewsconnell10

The Manager on 16:09 - Jan 28 by Landshark

At least we saw why Willock looks so half arsed all the time. The one time he has to make a significant run and he pulls up injured. He always looks like he is playing well within himself, like he knows if he has to run he will get injured.

So basically he is a footballer who relies on speed but cant run....

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Login to get fewer ads

The Manager on 08:13 - Jan 29 with 1626 viewsPunteR

The Manager on 07:45 - Jan 29 by traininvain

Yeah Ainsworth was a real visionary. For all the criticism, Willock’s got more goals and assists than anyone else since Cifuentes joined.

It’s not difficult to see why Cifuentes prefers Willock in a team that’s struggling to score goals.

I'm not arguing Willocks quality, im just agreeing with the posts above that he's protecting himself or playing within himself because of injuries. Whether that's because he's out of contract in the summer and doesn't want to jeopardise a move or he's just managing his own fitness who knows.?
My gut instinct is the former and maybe Ainsworth thought that too, hence his weird selection of willock. Bringing him on with a minute left in the game etc.

The Manager on 08:30 - Jan 29 with 1573 viewsstevec

The Manager on 07:45 - Jan 29 by traininvain

Give him the ball in the right position and he’s still dangerous because he’s a very good footballer.

Trouble is they’ll be 89 other minutes where he’ll be a handicap having him out there.

The way he pulled up when finally asked to run for a ball in the position he should still be dangerous in was embarrassing and rather sad at the same time.

His hamstring is mostly in his head now and he doesn’t look like getting over that.
The Manager on 08:33 - Jan 29 with 1577 viewstraininvain

The Manager on 08:13 - Jan 29 by PunteR

I'm not arguing Willocks quality, im just agreeing with the posts above that he's protecting himself or playing within himself because of injuries. Whether that's because he's out of contract in the summer and doesn't want to jeopardise a move or he's just managing his own fitness who knows.?
My gut instinct is the former and maybe Ainsworth thought that too, hence his weird selection of willock. Bringing him on with a minute left in the game etc.

I agree that Willock’s not fully fit. He tried to sprint yesterday and you could see that he was expecting his hamstring to have gone afterwards. If he’s intentionally playing to protect himself then he’s not doing his career any favours as it’ll have an impact on his next move, future earnings etc. So I’m not sure I buy this theory.

My point is more to do with the idea that it’s a no brainer to start Smyth ahead of Willock. As you can see from the stats above, Willock has nearly twice as many goal contributions in fewer starts and appearances. We lack quality in the final third and Willock has consistently shown a good eye for goals and assists irrespective of whether he’s fully fit.

It could actually be argued that we’d be better off if Ainsworth had given Willock more game time and by not doing so it’s increased our chances of getting relegated.
[Post edited 29 Jan 8:36]
The Manager on 08:36 - Jan 29 with 1554 viewsnumptydumpty

The Manager on 22:23 - Jan 28 by stainrods_elbow

Just do yourself a favour and go back to sleep!
[Post edited 28 Jan 22:24]

ooh angry man !!!!!

humour is lost on some people

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

The Manager on 08:44 - Jan 29 with 1504 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Given our predicament, if the manager has to motivate you to give it your all then, as experience has taught us: it's pwaper fcking fcked!

MC has managed to get a semblance of a tune out of them; despite this being arguably, the worst squad in living memory!

Señor Marti is not the problem. Its the deeply ingrained cancerous incompetence and lethargy that's underpinned my 50 plus years of following that shower save, a few uncharacteristic periods of nirvana, when we got it right! You sign wastrels, employ turkeys, and develop poor players this is what you get.

Forget the Titanic, Señor C and the new boy wonder and his clever maths have a lot of work to do to turn the iceberg round.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

The Manager on 08:54 - Jan 29 with 1457 viewsngbqpr

I'll start with the caveat that I think we'll go down, and we under-performed today.

But still bewildered by some of the gripes on here.

Millwall was a big game. MC picks Smyth, showing that's his preference - he's injured, Willock comes in, plays well. So (a) you keep the winning team to try to get some momentum; and (b) we don't know the extent of Smyth's injury, but a bit of caution was surely understandable.

First half, we played primarily down the left...now I'm not a note taker / stats type, but I'd be willing to wager that when we did use Willock, he fed in more useful crosses than those on the left did.

Armstrong did what Armstrong does. Caused their defence real concern but was too often let down by his rawness & inexperience. That's where we are squad wise. Dykes by contrast was anonymous - I missed the Millwall game where all say he did well, but today it wasn't working so seemed right to hook him. I'd have moved Chair to 10, Willock left and Smyth right, but tbf I thought EDB came on and made a difference. Oh and by the way his chance came from our pressing.

I thought the defence had an excellent game and deserved the clean sheet they were one offside / pinball goal away from getting. A word for Drewe - again, caveat, I'm not convinced he's ready for this level, but after getting an early, undeserved booking, in the second half I thought he stood up really well to a dangerous, experienced opponent, arguably HTFC's best player.

I think they shaded it. Maybe some credit due to them and their under pressure manager - perhaps their squad dealt with the high pressure stakes better...maybe being bolstered by 4 new signings (something we could only dream of) gave them a boost.

So yeh, not a great performance, especially going forward...and I think we're going down...but we had enough about us to get a 95th minute equaliser, and we have a coach who is so much better than not only Ainsworth but also Beale & Critchley, that I'm not gonna dig him out for the sort of stuff on this thread,

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

The Manager on 09:28 - Jan 29 with 1347 viewsCFW

As many people have already said the game yesterday was god awful, we look like a pub team with zero creativity apart from the odd moment from Chair. Everything was down our left hand side to try and give Chair a chance to make an impact on the game. However, when it did get played out on the right and Willock was on the ball we did look like creating something. Whilst I accept he does not look fully fit and is protecting himself I would have introduced Smith earlier and moved Willock into a more central role where he can link up with Chair etc. Dykes did nothing and he is no more a midfield player than he is a striker.
The Manager on 10:06 - Jan 29 with 1271 viewsTheChef

The Manager on 18:19 - Jan 28 by Hunterhoop

At goal kicks?!! C’mon Dave. When is anyone free half way up the pitch at goal kicks. It’s a trap with the defender giving himself the time to attack it.

Willock was given the ball countless times and didn’t want it and gave it straight back to Drewe. He pulled out of several runs. He didn’t get his body across his man between him and the on several occasions.

He’s protecting himself.

If anyone thinks he’s giving 100% and putting his body on the line they are utterly deluded.

Well he's got to be thinking about that move in the summer hasn't he?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

The Manager on 10:28 - Jan 29 with 1233 viewsPunteR

The Manager on 10:06 - Jan 29 by TheChef

Well he's got to be thinking about that move in the summer hasn't he?

100%. Which ever way you look at it.

The Manager on 10:38 - Jan 29 with 1205 viewsPunteR

The Manager on 08:33 - Jan 29 by traininvain

I agree that Willock’s not fully fit. He tried to sprint yesterday and you could see that he was expecting his hamstring to have gone afterwards. If he’s intentionally playing to protect himself then he’s not doing his career any favours as it’ll have an impact on his next move, future earnings etc. So I’m not sure I buy this theory.

My point is more to do with the idea that it’s a no brainer to start Smyth ahead of Willock. As you can see from the stats above, Willock has nearly twice as many goal contributions in fewer starts and appearances. We lack quality in the final third and Willock has consistently shown a good eye for goals and assists irrespective of whether he’s fully fit.

It could actually be argued that we’d be better off if Ainsworth had given Willock more game time and by not doing so it’s increased our chances of getting relegated.
[Post edited 29 Jan 8:36]

I never said it was the right call by Ainsworth either. Just saying he must of had his reason why he dropped Willock.

The Manager on 10:48 - Jan 29 with 1177 viewsSK_hoops

The Manager on 22:56 - Jan 28 by Ned_Kennedys

Far too accepting of that dreadful performance and we were lucky to grab a draw.
Huddersfield were in poor form and their manager’s job on the line: they turned up and we didn’t. Literally nobody in our team had a good game.
Play like that against Blackburn away and they will beat us easily.

They all got clapped off near me. Unbelievable.
The Manager on 10:51 - Jan 29 with 1162 viewsdaveB

The Manager on 10:48 - Jan 29 by SK_hoops

They all got clapped off near me. Unbelievable.

I stayed and clapped them off, they looked devastated by it all so don't think it hurts to offer some encouragement
The Manager on 11:15 - Jan 29 with 1092 viewsHunterhoop

The Manager on 10:51 - Jan 29 by daveB

I stayed and clapped them off, they looked devastated by it all so don't think it hurts to offer some encouragement

It doesn’t. Whether it is deserved is a different matter. But it can’t hurt.

The issue is, and has been for over a year now, really 2 years, is that we need to players to take responsibility and ownership for their performances (and the results). Play badly, bounce back and win the next? Get outfought or out worked one game? Come out in the next match and work your socks off? Concede from a set piece one week? Make sure it doesn’t happen next week. And so on.

The problem they just don’t.

As someone else put it well, they froze yesterday. Everyone (bar Armstrong) looked like they didn’t want the ball, didn’t want the responsibility. So many times players received it with their chest facing our goal and player it straight back. Hardly anyone received a pass whilst opening their chest to play forward. Equally our movement off the ball was poor and predictable. Other little things continued from recent weeks: back passes to Begovic’s left foot, passes to the full backs back should meaning they have to take a touch with their wrong foot and are facing inside. These aren’t hard to get right but it’s poor execution or a lack of concentration.

Chair is one of the few players willing to take responsibility in this team, but he’s not at his best and still holds on too long allowing defenders to get back in. Armstrong wants it and, credit to him, looks like he’s up for the fight, but he still lacks composure, finishing and he can’t do 90 minutes full on. Smyth is another I think who wants to take responsibility, have the ball and go forward. All 3 should start all the time precisely for that reason. Too few want to take responsibility for getting us up the pitch and into a goal scoring opportunity. Colback’s performance yesterday was chalk and cheese with his Millwall one. People talk about Field but Colback player backwards far more yesterday. And let’s not pin it on the central midfielders who were outnumbered 2 to 3 yesterday, although they have to be braver. The full backs are a critical part of playing out in modern football and Paal and Cannon have been very poor for weeks. Paal turns down so many opportunities to move it quickly up to Chair, taking an extra touch when receiving it. Cannon is taking no risks and often underhitting his passes. Neither have been close to positioning themselves as inverted full backs in the last month in spite of doing so in Marti’s first games. And, whilst Drewe gave his all and just about did enough defensively, he is not a Championship player. His passing is awful, he’s too small, can’t read the game well, and his positioning has to be very cautious so as not to get destroyed.

If you’re outnumbered in the middle and your full backs are playing this badly (and cautiously), how can you play out?

Ultimately, the players look scared, up tight, and like they don’t want to be out there.

Cook apart, who is clearly a leader and wants to take responsibility, the rest of the squad needs to look at themselves and start taking ownership for the situation. Marti can set them up however he likes but it won’t matter if they won’t take responsibility for their performances.

Let’s see how they bounce back against Blackburn. I expect us to concede 1 in each half and lose 2-0.
The Manager on 11:27 - Jan 29 with 1069 viewsdaveB

The Manager on 11:15 - Jan 29 by Hunterhoop

It doesn’t. Whether it is deserved is a different matter. But it can’t hurt.

The issue is, and has been for over a year now, really 2 years, is that we need to players to take responsibility and ownership for their performances (and the results). Play badly, bounce back and win the next? Get outfought or out worked one game? Come out in the next match and work your socks off? Concede from a set piece one week? Make sure it doesn’t happen next week. And so on.

The problem they just don’t.

As someone else put it well, they froze yesterday. Everyone (bar Armstrong) looked like they didn’t want the ball, didn’t want the responsibility. So many times players received it with their chest facing our goal and player it straight back. Hardly anyone received a pass whilst opening their chest to play forward. Equally our movement off the ball was poor and predictable. Other little things continued from recent weeks: back passes to Begovic’s left foot, passes to the full backs back should meaning they have to take a touch with their wrong foot and are facing inside. These aren’t hard to get right but it’s poor execution or a lack of concentration.

Chair is one of the few players willing to take responsibility in this team, but he’s not at his best and still holds on too long allowing defenders to get back in. Armstrong wants it and, credit to him, looks like he’s up for the fight, but he still lacks composure, finishing and he can’t do 90 minutes full on. Smyth is another I think who wants to take responsibility, have the ball and go forward. All 3 should start all the time precisely for that reason. Too few want to take responsibility for getting us up the pitch and into a goal scoring opportunity. Colback’s performance yesterday was chalk and cheese with his Millwall one. People talk about Field but Colback player backwards far more yesterday. And let’s not pin it on the central midfielders who were outnumbered 2 to 3 yesterday, although they have to be braver. The full backs are a critical part of playing out in modern football and Paal and Cannon have been very poor for weeks. Paal turns down so many opportunities to move it quickly up to Chair, taking an extra touch when receiving it. Cannon is taking no risks and often underhitting his passes. Neither have been close to positioning themselves as inverted full backs in the last month in spite of doing so in Marti’s first games. And, whilst Drewe gave his all and just about did enough defensively, he is not a Championship player. His passing is awful, he’s too small, can’t read the game well, and his positioning has to be very cautious so as not to get destroyed.

If you’re outnumbered in the middle and your full backs are playing this badly (and cautiously), how can you play out?

Ultimately, the players look scared, up tight, and like they don’t want to be out there.

Cook apart, who is clearly a leader and wants to take responsibility, the rest of the squad needs to look at themselves and start taking ownership for the situation. Marti can set them up however he likes but it won’t matter if they won’t take responsibility for their performances.

Let’s see how they bounce back against Blackburn. I expect us to concede 1 in each half and lose 2-0.

A midfield player who is brave and can receive the ball on the turn and push forward would transform this team into an average one, hopefully they address that this week
The Manager on 11:31 - Jan 29 with 1040 viewsHunterhoop

The Manager on 11:27 - Jan 29 by daveB

A midfield player who is brave and can receive the ball on the turn and push forward would transform this team into an average one, hopefully they address that this week

Don’t underestimate the full backs, though. Paal and Cannon are getting very generous rides from the fans. Their build up play has been shockingly bad for a while now. Paal also continues with his woeful set pieces. He is better than this and needs to up it.
The Manager on 11:46 - Jan 29 with 1003 viewsdaveB

The Manager on 11:31 - Jan 29 by Hunterhoop

Don’t underestimate the full backs, though. Paal and Cannon are getting very generous rides from the fans. Their build up play has been shockingly bad for a while now. Paal also continues with his woeful set pieces. He is better than this and needs to up it.

Oh yeah they are certainly a part of the problem, completely agree with you on Paal especially yesterday.

i think we'd both agree the team needs major surgery all over the pitch but for now if we could get in a 2021 version of Stefan Johansen we'd stand a much better chance of getting out it in the short term
The Manager on 11:53 - Jan 29 with 969 viewsTheChef

The Manager on 11:31 - Jan 29 by Hunterhoop

Top scorer though!!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024