Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Manager 16:06 - Jan 28 with 15179 viewsPetros

I've been really supportive of most of his decisions, and like the way he does things. But what was that? Playing Willock, who clearly lacks the energy and intensity for a game of such magnitude, ahead of Smith? No high pressing, except once in the second half when their defender duly gave it straight to us? Sticking Willock and Chair on the wings with obvious orders not to roam, which is their (theoretical) strength? Eleven men back for every set piece when we have the fastest player on the pitch at centre forward? Was he playing for a draw? Mystifying, and very poor.
The Manager on 12:01 - Jan 29 with 1898 viewsSK_hoops

The Manager on 10:51 - Jan 29 by daveB

I stayed and clapped them off, they looked devastated by it all so don't think it hurts to offer some encouragement

Imo just makes it look like performances like that are accceptable.
The Manager on 12:08 - Jan 29 with 1852 viewsQPRConor2000

The Manager on 22:15 - Jan 28 by Lblock

Is he unquestionable then?

I personally think hes made as many bad decisions as good
He’s learning on the job in this league and there in lays my issue - a novice yet again.
Marti is a great coach and we are without doubt chalk n cheese compared to Ains. However if you cannot instill urgency into whatever collection of cowskuntz you have under you for that game then there’s questions to answer
Zero intensity at times and I just don’t get that

Marti can come out of this season with his stock high.
I’m convinced he will not manage us in League One
If that doesn’t concern people here then more fool them; for me we are in for a massive bad new dawn IF we finish where it looks like we will

Marti wont leave imo unless he gets poached by another club or is sacked.

Hes stayed with teams who went down, and theres no reason why he wont do the same with us.

The fact hes basically assumed Chris Ramsey's role, does tell me he is here for the long term.

I do like Marti and I think if we got him last summer, wed be in a better position imo.
The Manager on 12:12 - Jan 29 with 1843 viewsQPROslo

The Manager on 11:27 - Jan 29 by daveB

A midfield player who is brave and can receive the ball on the turn and push forward would transform this team into an average one, hopefully they address that this week

Agreed. Said on another thread we missed Dozzell or a good replacement for him yesterday. Our 2 in midfield were outnumbered and overrun so we never had a decent possession base, or built up any decent play, key to the way Marti wants us to play football, and we ended up hoofing it upfield often pretty aimlessly. We certainly need a decent central midfielder in quick with Field out for 2 games and Colback likely to follow, though no idea if the Club is able to do that.
The Manager on 12:18 - Jan 29 with 1814 viewsJuzzie

I'm not sure if anyone on here has managed at, for example, Sunday League, Youth etc level but as my son has being playing youth football (currently U9) for a couple of years now I've certainly seen an insight at training each week and the games themselves that I never saw from 25+ years of attending QPR games.

When we play, there's a game plan in place. If it's not working you need to have a plan B.

You also pick your best players but sometimes they just have an off-day.
Last week we came up against a team that had two very big boys for their age and were quite physical (as well as slightly cheating which the homer ref did fk all about) both legitimately and illegitimately.
It was difficult to get the boys to adjust to that in-game. Our own plan went out of the window a bit trying to adapt. My son had to drop from attacking midfield into a defensive midfield position and basically try and handle those two big lads on his own! He's the oldest (by some way) in the squad and can handle himself a bit better than a couple of the other lads who are the youngest and smallest in the team but it was still a tough ask but he handled it the best he could including getting punched in the chest.

One of our boys who's a striker scored a hat-trick in a 5-2 win the other week but just after Christmas he had an absolute stinker. Wouldn't pass, always tried to dribble his way through the entire opposition and so on. Then the other boys wouldn't pass to him but they didn't have the calibre to score themselves and also then tried to do the same.
You could see the coaches getting exasperated.

Last week our usually dependant other striker couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo. Just seemed to withdraw into himself. Had multiple chances on goal and wasted most of them. Goalie made some good saves too but a lot were hit straight at him.

Both those games we lost (we've lost three out of 16 all season).

Yes, the boys are only 8 years old but they now at a stage where things like that shouldn't be happening.

I'm no Marti, Gareth, or Manager in general apologist but I do see that sometimes what you want to happen just doesn't happen. It shouldn't be like that, but it is.
Yes, they pick the team, makes the substitutions and so on but if you have a bunch of players that aren't good enough or phone it in, you're basically getting closer to your P45 each week.
This is why there's a huge turnover in Managers. Not 'cos they're schit (mainly) but players get away with absolute murder, they are untouchable now.

[Post edited 29 Jan 13:26]
The Manager on 12:58 - Jan 29 with 1705 viewsCFW

The Manager on 12:18 - Jan 29 by Juzzie

I'm not sure if anyone on here has managed at, for example, Sunday League, Youth etc level but as my son has being playing youth football (currently U9) for a couple of years now I've certainly seen an insight at training each week and the games themselves that I never saw from 25+ years of attending QPR games.

When we play, there's a game plan in place. If it's not working you need to have a plan B.

You also pick your best players but sometimes they just have an off-day.
Last week we came up against a team that had two very big boys for their age and were quite physical (as well as slightly cheating which the homer ref did fk all about) both legitimately and illegitimately.
It was difficult to get the boys to adjust to that in-game. Our own plan went out of the window a bit trying to adapt. My son had to drop from attacking midfield into a defensive midfield position and basically try and handle those two big lads on his own! He's the oldest (by some way) in the squad and can handle himself a bit better than a couple of the other lads who are the youngest and smallest in the team but it was still a tough ask but he handled it the best he could including getting punched in the chest.

One of our boys who's a striker scored a hat-trick in a 5-2 win the other week but just after Christmas he had an absolute stinker. Wouldn't pass, always tried to dribble his way through the entire opposition and so on. Then the other boys wouldn't pass to him but they didn't have the calibre to score themselves and also then tried to do the same.
You could see the coaches getting exasperated.

Last week our usually dependant other striker couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo. Just seemed to withdraw into himself. Had multiple chances on goal and wasted most of them. Goalie made some good saves too but a lot were hit straight at him.

Both those games we lost (we've lost three out of 16 all season).

Yes, the boys are only 8 years old but they now at a stage where things like that shouldn't be happening.

I'm no Marti, Gareth, or Manager in general apologist but I do see that sometimes what you want to happen just doesn't happen. It shouldn't be like that, but it is.
Yes, they pick the team, makes the substitutions and so on but if you have a bunch of players that aren't good enough or phone it in, you're basically getting closer to your P45 each week.
This is why there's a huge turnover in Managers. Not 'cos they're schit (mainly) but players get away with absolute murder, they are untouchable now.

[Post edited 29 Jan 13:26]

Twenty-five years ago I took a boys team from under 7 to under 16's. We had a decent team especially in the early years winning the league three seasons in a row along with winning cup competitions. Then at under 12 we lost three boy's who were picked up by pro clubs and did not allow them to play Sunday league football.

Whilst I admit I was not a great coach I was assisted by two parents who played the game at quite a high level and think overall at that time we assisted the boys the best we could given our circumstances. Don't forget at that time small boys played on full size pitches which was a joke. As a manager I made it very clear right from the start no parent will make any remarks about a players performance and any negative comments would not be tolerated under any circumstances. I have to say in all the years I managed the team we NEVER once had any problems with the parents.

Fast forward to now - my 7 year old grandson (only just 7) is showing signs of being a tidy player and obviously I watch him as often as I am able. The whole youth football has changed and is a million miles away from where it was all those years ago. He has played against the Ipswich, Spurs, Palace and Brentford academy teams at their training grounds (facilities are unbelievable) and the way the boys are coached is impressive. However, the pressure on the boys is off the scale and the parents are almost out of control. Because their little lad has been picked up by a pro club they think they are something else.

When playing against these academy teams it is the big, strong, athletic boys who stand out and are coached to use their speed, strength to bully boys who are smaller than themselves. Our team are coached to play out from the back, get the ball look up and look for a pass, make space for themselves and play for each other - I have not seen that in the pro-team academy sides. Spurs had twenty-four boys who train two/three times a week - at 7 years old?? My grandson has homework to do along with other activities.

Good luck with your son's team and hope he does well.
The Manager on 12:59 - Jan 29 with 1699 viewsJimthehip

Marti is a good manager and we should stick with him.
The Manager on 13:19 - Jan 29 with 1632 viewsPunteR

The Manager on 11:46 - Jan 29 by daveB

Oh yeah they are certainly a part of the problem, completely agree with you on Paal especially yesterday.

i think we'd both agree the team needs major surgery all over the pitch but for now if we could get in a 2021 version of Stefan Johansen we'd stand a much better chance of getting out it in the short term

Isn't that what Colback is for?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

The Manager on 13:20 - Jan 29 with 1624 viewsJuzzie

The Manager on 12:58 - Jan 29 by CFW

Twenty-five years ago I took a boys team from under 7 to under 16's. We had a decent team especially in the early years winning the league three seasons in a row along with winning cup competitions. Then at under 12 we lost three boy's who were picked up by pro clubs and did not allow them to play Sunday league football.

Whilst I admit I was not a great coach I was assisted by two parents who played the game at quite a high level and think overall at that time we assisted the boys the best we could given our circumstances. Don't forget at that time small boys played on full size pitches which was a joke. As a manager I made it very clear right from the start no parent will make any remarks about a players performance and any negative comments would not be tolerated under any circumstances. I have to say in all the years I managed the team we NEVER once had any problems with the parents.

Fast forward to now - my 7 year old grandson (only just 7) is showing signs of being a tidy player and obviously I watch him as often as I am able. The whole youth football has changed and is a million miles away from where it was all those years ago. He has played against the Ipswich, Spurs, Palace and Brentford academy teams at their training grounds (facilities are unbelievable) and the way the boys are coached is impressive. However, the pressure on the boys is off the scale and the parents are almost out of control. Because their little lad has been picked up by a pro club they think they are something else.

When playing against these academy teams it is the big, strong, athletic boys who stand out and are coached to use their speed, strength to bully boys who are smaller than themselves. Our team are coached to play out from the back, get the ball look up and look for a pass, make space for themselves and play for each other - I have not seen that in the pro-team academy sides. Spurs had twenty-four boys who train two/three times a week - at 7 years old?? My grandson has homework to do along with other activities.

Good luck with your son's team and hope he does well.

We have a few boys that play for Brentford Academy (I know, I know, but our club is local to Brentford, is affiliated to Brentford and has lots of Brentford fans as players and coaches, which, really is how it should be).

They're 8. They have to train multiple times a week. One is an only child (he's a QPR fan!) and the other has two older brothers. It's just such a huge commitment for both the boys and the parents.
I'm trying to get my son a trial there (I know, I know) as our Manager (Brentford ST-er) thinks he's got the ability to at least give it a go.

However, if it does goes well I just don't know what will be expected of him and us as parents. I'm exhausted as it is being a parent, working full-time, travelling to the office at least 3 times a week and so on.

I don't want it to become so all-consuming (as said, they have school work to do too) that I'm never at home weekends and multiple evenings during the week. I have a missus, daughter, cat & dog to think of too!
[Post edited 29 Jan 13:21]
Login to get fewer ads

The Manager on 13:25 - Jan 29 with 1589 viewsParkRoyalR

The Manager on 11:46 - Jan 29 by daveB

Oh yeah they are certainly a part of the problem, completely agree with you on Paal especially yesterday.

i think we'd both agree the team needs major surgery all over the pitch but for now if we could get in a 2021 version of Stefan Johansen we'd stand a much better chance of getting out it in the short term

We have him hiding in plain sight - Ilias Chair!

Only two moments of real threat yesterday were his 1st time cross from the left on his left foot (when they did'nt get time to double & triple-up on him) and his late cross from the right for Paal's goal.

Chair has to be given a free role in the middle so he's closer to Willock and can go left or right, otherwise we're down.
The Manager on 14:29 - Jan 29 with 1490 viewsdaveB

The Manager on 13:25 - Jan 29 by ParkRoyalR

We have him hiding in plain sight - Ilias Chair!

Only two moments of real threat yesterday were his 1st time cross from the left on his left foot (when they did'nt get time to double & triple-up on him) and his late cross from the right for Paal's goal.

Chair has to be given a free role in the middle so he's closer to Willock and can go left or right, otherwise we're down.

Chair is not the man you want picking up the ball from the centre halves that deep, if he was Marti would have done it by now
The Manager on 14:31 - Jan 29 with 1484 viewsNorthernr

The Manager on 12:12 - Jan 29 by QPROslo

Agreed. Said on another thread we missed Dozzell or a good replacement for him yesterday. Our 2 in midfield were outnumbered and overrun so we never had a decent possession base, or built up any decent play, key to the way Marti wants us to play football, and we ended up hoofing it upfield often pretty aimlessly. We certainly need a decent central midfielder in quick with Field out for 2 games and Colback likely to follow, though no idea if the Club is able to do that.

Yeh if there's one thing and outnumbered and overrun midfield needs it's the balls out, authoritative assertiveness of Andre Dozzell.
The Manager on 14:43 - Jan 29 with 1435 viewsParkRoyalR

The Manager on 14:29 - Jan 29 by daveB

Chair is not the man you want picking up the ball from the centre halves that deep, if he was Marti would have done it by now

Marti had Kolli and JCS marking in the 6 yard box for Cardiff's corners, what accent or colour UEFA Coaching Badge do you need to say mate, I think you've got this badly wrong.

Marti has made makes mistakes and learned from them, 6 yard line defenders are now Field / Cook / Dykes and JCS is nowhere near the line where you need courage to put your head in.

Likewise yesterday Drewe exposed to Thomas with Willock in front of him was a big mistake that he just about got away with.

Chair can sit in front of the CDM's and drop into the centre-circle to pick the ball up and transition us from defence to attack, in a role that EDB seemed to play when he came on.

The alternative to not freeing up Chair is yesterdays tactic where Cook was launching the ball over the top to Armstrong like we played at U12's football. That's relegation tactics.
The Manager on 14:58 - Jan 29 with 1393 viewsNorthernr

We really need to stop trying to convince ourselves that we're only a different team selection, formation or substitution away from salvation. All this achieves is it slowly builds the narrative that the manager is at fault, and then the club get rid of the manager and nothing changes. The manager is not the problem here, in fact he's the best thing about us. We're just complete shte.
The Manager on 15:24 - Jan 29 with 1319 viewsDeanoMD

The Manager on 14:58 - Jan 29 by Northernr

We really need to stop trying to convince ourselves that we're only a different team selection, formation or substitution away from salvation. All this achieves is it slowly builds the narrative that the manager is at fault, and then the club get rid of the manager and nothing changes. The manager is not the problem here, in fact he's the best thing about us. We're just complete shte.

Spot on.

We are going down bar a miracle and have been for some time now, the only shining light is that we currently have a Head Coach who if given the chance to re-build will deliver something far superior to this current squad which has haunted us for so long now.

One decent result against Millwall and everyone thinks we should be mid-table all of a sudden.

The only thing we truly know is that this squad is excellent at being consistently in-consistent.
The Manager on 15:25 - Jan 29 with 1317 viewsParkRoyalR

Maybe, but likewise in an open forum like this we can say the Managers taking time to learn the Division and his players, has made mistakes, has learned from them, but is maybe still making some mistakes, albeit a lot smaller one's (Drewe needed better cover than Willock yesterday), as long as we don't go full twitter on him.

One things for sure, with no Field and Colback for the next few games, what he's left with will be a real test, for any Manager, let alone a new manager to this division.
The Manager on 15:55 - Jan 29 with 1251 viewsQPROslo

The Manager on 14:31 - Jan 29 by Northernr

Yeh if there's one thing and outnumbered and overrun midfield needs it's the balls out, authoritative assertiveness of Andre Dozzell.

We needed to get control of the midfield and that involves keeping possession by moving the ball quickly and accurately rather than giving it away as we did continually yesterday to their press or by hoofing it anywhere. Dozzell is a quick and accurate passer of the ball and we need someone else in imo who can do that pretty quick. We were outnumbered and overrun with just the 2 in midfield, and of course Field's 2 game ban (I gather) and Colback probably to follow imminently leaves us...well short.
The Manager on 16:09 - Jan 29 with 1197 viewsWegerles_Stairs

The Manager on 15:25 - Jan 29 by ParkRoyalR

Maybe, but likewise in an open forum like this we can say the Managers taking time to learn the Division and his players, has made mistakes, has learned from them, but is maybe still making some mistakes, albeit a lot smaller one's (Drewe needed better cover than Willock yesterday), as long as we don't go full twitter on him.

One things for sure, with no Field and Colback for the next few games, what he's left with will be a real test, for any Manager, let alone a new manager to this division.

Look at the bench! Who on earth should he be playing that he's not? Our midfield is horrendous - he's forced to play Dykes there ffs - and our main striker is a rookie learning his trade. It's a train wreck of a squad.
The Manager on 16:24 - Jan 29 with 1164 viewslassel

I mean we have gotten into a situation whereby it’s somehow seen as defeatist to point out that these players who have won 10 games in 18 months putting another 8 wins on the board by the end of the season would not be a miracle, and is infact more likely than not.

The positive news as stated already is that the club is well aware that its extremely likely we are going down and are acting accordingly so hopefully they wouldn’t be fcking nuts enough to let Marti be driven out but this is QPR after a that we are talking about.
The Manager on 16:42 - Jan 29 with 1102 viewsTheChef

The Manager on 15:55 - Jan 29 by QPROslo

We needed to get control of the midfield and that involves keeping possession by moving the ball quickly and accurately rather than giving it away as we did continually yesterday to their press or by hoofing it anywhere. Dozzell is a quick and accurate passer of the ball and we need someone else in imo who can do that pretty quick. We were outnumbered and overrun with just the 2 in midfield, and of course Field's 2 game ban (I gather) and Colback probably to follow imminently leaves us...well short.

Yeah the one thing we missed yesterday was Dozzell's quick and accurate passing!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

The Manager on 16:50 - Jan 29 with 1054 viewsNorthernr

The Manager on 15:55 - Jan 29 by QPROslo

Once again, you and I watch different games on a Saturday.
We've been playing exactly as we did in this game for months and years now, and Dozzell has been a part of that the whole way. A completely anonymous part, but a part all the same. Andre Dozzell isn't even the answer to who's the best Andre Dozzell.
The Manager on 16:58 - Jan 29 with 1016 viewsqprmarkoct1966

I agree with Clive , we are just not good enough. Chris Willock has lost that yard of pace and can not go pass a defender, whether he lacks the energy , desire or is protecting his hamstring i do not see him getting it back. He knows it and was evidenced yesterday. Chair to move inside as a ten , Paul Smyth wide right , EDB with either Field or Colback whoever is suspended. Do not think it will be enough but we have to give it a go . The Division is a crock of shit and you never know !
The Manager on 17:02 - Jan 29 with 996 viewsNorthernr

The Manager on 16:58 - Jan 29 by qprmarkoct1966

I agree with Clive , we are just not good enough. Chris Willock has lost that yard of pace and can not go pass a defender, whether he lacks the energy , desire or is protecting his hamstring i do not see him getting it back. He knows it and was evidenced yesterday. Chair to move inside as a ten , Paul Smyth wide right , EDB with either Field or Colback whoever is suspended. Do not think it will be enough but we have to give it a go . The Division is a crock of shit and you never know !

Willock looks physically shot to me. You saw it again yesterday when he sprinted and stretched for that one on the touchline - basically gone again immediately. His hamstrings are held together with chewing gum. fascinating to see what deal he gets where for next season and how he goes.
The Manager on 17:13 - Jan 29 with 925 viewsrbee

This is the QPR conundrum because we are shte but not complete shte.

Even under Gareth in August and September we played some decent stuff. I remember thinking to myself if we can keep up this level of performance then we will be alright.

When Marti first took over we really did play some decent stuff and I remember thinking to myself if we can keep up this level of performance then we will be alright.

We do not keep up this level of performance and herein lies the problem.

Injuries and suspensions have played a part, the good football under Marti disappeared along with Colback.

Dozzell had a couple of games playing right midfield and did ok but after Colback was not available he didn't play in that position again.

At the moment I feel Marti is trying to play his best eleven players which in theory makes sense but some of them are not playing in their best positions partially due to the lack of depth in the squad. Armstrong could be better out wide, Willock is wasted playing wide right. Chair and Willock could swap over a few times during games.

Here's hoping Frey turns out to be half decent so Marti can tinker with his attacking options.
The Manager on 17:17 - Jan 29 with 918 viewstraininvain

The Manager on 17:02 - Jan 29 by Northernr

Willock looks physically shot to me. You saw it again yesterday when he sprinted and stretched for that one on the touchline - basically gone again immediately. His hamstrings are held together with chewing gum. fascinating to see what deal he gets where for next season and how he goes.

Your last sentence is why I don’t buy this theory that Willock’s intentionally holding back ahead of getting a big money contract elsewhere. Other clubs will be watching and noting every time he pulls up or struggles to sprint.

I’m sure someone will take a punt on him but you don’t command big wages by giving the impression that your hamstrings are held together with chewing gum.
The Manager on 17:18 - Jan 29 with 916 viewsqprmarkoct1966

The Manager on 17:02 - Jan 29 by Northernr

He is unable to produce the type of goal he scored at home to Boro last season. I will be vey surprised if he gets a deal with a top ten championship side and we have to cut our ties and let him walk away. Could end up at Hibs with Luke Amos
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024