Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Manager 16:06 - Jan 28 with 15159 viewsPetros

I've been really supportive of most of his decisions, and like the way he does things. But what was that? Playing Willock, who clearly lacks the energy and intensity for a game of such magnitude, ahead of Smith? No high pressing, except once in the second half when their defender duly gave it straight to us? Sticking Willock and Chair on the wings with obvious orders not to roam, which is their (theoretical) strength? Eleven men back for every set piece when we have the fastest player on the pitch at centre forward? Was he playing for a draw? Mystifying, and very poor.
The Manager on 17:59 - Jan 28 with 2199 viewsRangersw12

The Manager on 16:38 - Jan 28 by stainrods_elbow

You dickheads manage to be both hilarious and embarrassing - complacent insults instead of worthwhile counter-arguments. Glad you've fallen asleep, as you're clearly anesthetised.

😂😂😂

Try not to get too uptight old boy as if you carry on you might have to pull the red cord in your nursing home
The Manager (n/t) on 18:02 - Jan 28 with 2179 viewsQPsyR

The Manager on 16:38 - Jan 28 by stainrods_elbow

You dickheads manage to be both hilarious and embarrassing - complacent insults instead of worthwhile counter-arguments. Glad you've fallen asleep, as you're clearly anesthetised.

[Post edited 29 Jan 8:37]

FKA AcidPixie

The Manager on 18:09 - Jan 28 with 2113 viewsdaveB

The Manager on 17:52 - Jan 28 by Hunterhoop

The issue is not Cifuentes. Whilst I genuinely don’t think our football (when in possession) is much better than under Ainsworth, you can see what he’s trying and he’s a good ‘un in my view. But he’s not the messiah either!

The players are the issue and have been all along.

It is cut and dry for me. Smyth should start over Willock. In a relegation scrap you need players who want the ball and who want to go forward. We only stay up from here by scoring goals. Smyth keeps coming on with 10-20 left and improving us. Start him and give him a run of games.

Willock is protecting his body. He doesn’t want the ball and he doesn’t really want to sprint after it. He did not pull a muscle when he pulled up. If he had he would not have been able to run again, but he did, several times. He thought he might have, so he pulled up clutching his hamstring, but he hadn’t, so he played on. That is where he is at mentally. He is protecting his body. That’s understandable but you cannot start a player who is doing that. Bodies on the line and so forth.

Otherwise, we were poor. Huddersfield were better. We were lucky to get something.

But as Brian said, we live to fight another day.
[Post edited 28 Jan 18:21]

Willock made multiple runs first half at goal kicks into acres of space but never picked out, Begovic instead so slow starting any attacks.

I can see why Smyth comes off the bench, his energy and pace when teams are tired has more of an impact than when he starts
The Manager on 18:19 - Jan 28 with 2056 viewsHunterhoop

The Manager on 18:09 - Jan 28 by daveB

Willock made multiple runs first half at goal kicks into acres of space but never picked out, Begovic instead so slow starting any attacks.

I can see why Smyth comes off the bench, his energy and pace when teams are tired has more of an impact than when he starts

At goal kicks?!! C’mon Dave. When is anyone free half way up the pitch at goal kicks. It’s a trap with the defender giving himself the time to attack it.

Willock was given the ball countless times and didn’t want it and gave it straight back to Drewe. He pulled out of several runs. He didn’t get his body across his man between him and the on several occasions.

He’s protecting himself.

If anyone thinks he’s giving 100% and putting his body on the line they are utterly deluded.
The Manager on 18:26 - Jan 28 with 2005 viewsStreathamRanger

The Manager on 18:19 - Jan 28 by Hunterhoop

At goal kicks?!! C’mon Dave. When is anyone free half way up the pitch at goal kicks. It’s a trap with the defender giving himself the time to attack it.

Willock was given the ball countless times and didn’t want it and gave it straight back to Drewe. He pulled out of several runs. He didn’t get his body across his man between him and the on several occasions.

He’s protecting himself.

If anyone thinks he’s giving 100% and putting his body on the line they are utterly deluded.

I tend to agree with this. If he's not signing a new contract and has a potential new club lined up as some have suggested then it's no surprise at all he's not giving 100%. I'd start Smyth in the next game and hopefully our new striker will be good for 20-30 minutes off the bench.
The Manager on 18:33 - Jan 28 with 1948 viewssevenhoop

The most frustrating thing for me today is that we didn’t ’turn up’. After the highs of Millwall and all the positive vibes this week, you’d have thought we’d start with high intensity, pressing all over the park and trying to light up a crowd that was ready to be lit up. Instead another damp squib of a start, we were out pressed and outthought all over the pitch. Frankly lucky to escape with a draw.
The Manager on 18:37 - Jan 28 with 1937 viewsStreathamRanger

The Manager on 18:33 - Jan 28 by sevenhoop

The most frustrating thing for me today is that we didn’t ’turn up’. After the highs of Millwall and all the positive vibes this week, you’d have thought we’d start with high intensity, pressing all over the park and trying to light up a crowd that was ready to be lit up. Instead another damp squib of a start, we were out pressed and outthought all over the pitch. Frankly lucky to escape with a draw.

Can't really disagree with this. All I would say is that if we can play that bad and still pick up a point then maybe that can be seen as a positive. After all, we've played better and lost. Hopefully a better performance up at Blackburn who are in dreadful form and then we could be unbeaten in 3. Could be a start.
The Manager on 18:43 - Jan 28 with 1882 viewsBklynRanger

I don't think we should understate the nerves today though. This team knows they, collectively, are a fcuk up. None of them have been able to be their best selves for a while - Cook talked about lack of confidence and it's clear every week.

In general I don't think effort is the problem. I know that's controversial. Regardless, today you had a ref who gave a foul against Paal (I think) in the 4th minute for having the temerity to go shoulder to shoulder with his opponent on the left wing. That worried me but I hoped he would at least be consistent. No chance - just a series of decisions and stoppages that broke up any rhythm these gimps would have been able to put together.

I didn't know their goal was apparently offside, and thank god most of the crowd didn't.

It's not a good enough excuse in many ways for a team of professionals on money we can only dream of, but you could see how the various calls were fcuking their heads up. A perfect context for what Huddeersfield had come here to do.

Colback didn't have the game he did last week, and we desperately needed some calm in the middle of the pitch.

They're a deeply flawed group and they know it, but I honestly felt for them today, that was a fcuking joke.
Login to get fewer ads

The Manager on 19:06 - Jan 28 with 1819 viewsdaveB

The Manager on 18:19 - Jan 28 by Hunterhoop

He’s protecting himself.

I'm not saying he played well but we never looked to find him when he did get into space, was very frustrating, I was far more annoyed with Begovic today than Willock
The Manager on 19:08 - Jan 28 with 1809 viewsmart_Goblin

Yeah tough one to work out today . I don’t think he is above criticism.
We were clearly outnumbered in the middle of the park. Field and Colback outnumbered and out fought and had no space to get the ball down at all.
I think the EDB for Dykes sub was to put an extra body in there but it should have been done way earlier. It didn’t really work either as it just isolated Sinclair who seemed to lose all his energy at half time . Maybe the hard decision was to take Armstrong off . Would have gone down very badly but he was ineffective second half as he run out of steam.
Still comes back to this squad being weak and thin and when the pressure really ramps up, this lot don’t have the fight , desire or ability to produce what’s needed.
This bunch are a weak bunch . Chair, Field, Willock, Dunne, Dykes all got there good points but that spine continues to let you down when it really matters.

Not sure what Marti can do about that really? I think we coach things better . Set pieces for example. We could be braver in ideas to break teams down . We just run out of ideas so many times .
But it dont really matter how many times you roll the turd in glitter……it’s still a turd
The Manager on 19:10 - Jan 28 with 1796 viewsQPunkR

The Manager on 18:33 - Jan 28 by sevenhoop

You'd only have thought that if you still didn't realise what embarrassing slop this squad serves up after every single half decent performance

QPR - "shit but local"

The Manager on 19:12 - Jan 28 with 1787 viewsHastings_Hoops

The Manager on 16:14 - Jan 28 by Ned_Kennedys

Keep saying it but Willock should not be starting any game in a relegation battle: need the effort and character of Smyth from the start.

If Dykes was not injured then replacing him with Dixon-Bonnar was weird.

I can understand why he added Dixon Bonner for Dykes. Dykes was hopeless today and we were conspicuous by our absence in midfield.
The Manager on 19:13 - Jan 28 with 1780 viewslassel

The Manager on 19:06 - Jan 28 by daveB

I'm not saying he played well but we never looked to find him when he did get into space, was very frustrating, I was far more annoyed with Begovic today than Willock

In Begovic’s defence he is clearly under orders to play it to a CB, and he wasn’t exactly Ederson when Ainsworth had him smashing it long..
The Manager on 19:15 - Jan 28 with 1771 viewsHastings_Hoops

The Manager on 16:31 - Jan 28 by traininvain

I’d probably start Smyth against Blackburn but i can see why Cifuentes prefers Willock. He’s clearly not fully fit and can’t sprint but he has the quality needed to get goals in this division and we’re not spoilt for choice in that department.

Look at the first goal vs Millwall and I’d wager that Willock has scored/assisted more than anyone else in our squad since Cifuentes joined. Smyth also seems to perform better as an impact sub than a starter.

Spot on.

Today, Willock was poor. Other days it’s paid off. Marti doesn’t have a crystal ball, Willock is inconsistent but you have to play your best hand as you see it to start with and in this case it’s Willock.

Only criticism is that I would have hooked Willock for Smyth at half time.

And btw - Where does Willock recon he’s going in the summer… pretty sure no other club in the Championship will go near him now. Just sign another contract (frankly, on lesser terms now!) get your head down, start taking chances with your hamstring again - what’s the worse that’s going to happen?!
[Post edited 28 Jan 19:18]
The Manager on 19:20 - Jan 28 with 1732 viewsnumptydumpty

The Manager on 17:39 - Jan 28 by stainrods_elbow

Who am I? Who are you? I'm a fan like you, who has opinions you may or may not share. It's embarrassing that it's YOU and one or two others that can't bear contrary views, which you're then vulgar and stupid enough to project onto ME. If you had just a soupcon of self-awareness, you'd see this and reel your neck in.

I was actually agreeing with an OP on another thread protesting the coaching team getting a free pass for the failings of the team, so I'm not alone in my critique. And even if I was, so what? Better that than just conforming mindlessly to a supposedly collective view promoted by aggressive groupthinkers. Personally, I prefer to play devil's advocate when I can, and then of course the brickbats follow - especially when you're facing people down with their lopsided thinking. Of course, for some, fandom on a football messageboard entails cultishness and conformity, rather than the hard art of being an individual and speaking as one.

Does that help a little with your weird, hostile and bizarre/passive aggressive hilarity? If so, have a lovely evening.
[Post edited 28 Jan 17:41]

I think someone said something but it was of no consequence !!!!

😆

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

The Manager on 19:23 - Jan 28 with 1718 viewsdaveB

The Manager on 19:13 - Jan 28 by lassel

In Begovic’s defence he is clearly under orders to play it to a CB, and he wasn’t exactly Ederson when Ainsworth had him smashing it long..

I don't want him to smash it long but when both wide players made early runs pick one of them out, Cook was having a right go at him first half over it
The Manager on 19:23 - Jan 28 with 1711 viewssouthbound_tram

The Manager on 16:16 - Jan 28 by Wegerles_Stairs

Think Smyth for Willock is the only possible change, else its our strongest side...and therein lies the problem.

Think we need to give him time to assemble his own squad, rather than having to make do with the same players that have been garbage for two years. He's already started the clear-out, even if we don't have replacements yet!

Yep and I think he went for Willock to start as that kinda worked out last week. Potential continuity, with Smith and his energy to come on later.
Was the first choice to start last week and should be until Willock shows more.
The Manager on 19:25 - Jan 28 with 1696 viewsFDC

The Manager on 17:39 - Jan 28 by stainrods_elbow

Who am I? Who are you? I'm a fan like you, who has opinions you may or may not share. It's embarrassing that it's YOU and one or two others that can't bear contrary views, which you're then vulgar and stupid enough to project onto ME. If you had just a soupcon of self-awareness, you'd see this and reel your neck in.

I was actually agreeing with an OP on another thread protesting the coaching team getting a free pass for the failings of the team, so I'm not alone in my critique. And even if I was, so what? Better that than just conforming mindlessly to a supposedly collective view promoted by aggressive groupthinkers. Personally, I prefer to play devil's advocate when I can, and then of course the brickbats follow - especially when you're facing people down with their lopsided thinking. Of course, for some, fandom on a football messageboard entails cultishness and conformity, rather than the hard art of being an individual and speaking as one.

Does that help a little with your weird, hostile and bizarre/passive aggressive hilarity? If so, have a lovely evening.
[Post edited 28 Jan 17:41]

Pompous berk
The Manager on 19:27 - Jan 28 with 1683 viewstraininvain

The Manager on 19:13 - Jan 28 by lassel

Begovic is completely unsuited to playing out from the back. He’s too hesitant with his feet and often ends up putting our defenders under pressure. And far too immobile to sweep up like most keepers are expected to do nowadays.

It’s not his fault though. He was signed by a different manager for a completely different style of football despite it being a running joke on here that last summer’s signings would struggle when the club appointed a continental ball playing manager a few months into the season.

It’s mismanagement like this from the top down that’ll likely see us relegated this season. Couldn’t help but laugh at the irony when I looked up at the ‘Bhatia stand’ today.
The Manager on 19:41 - Jan 28 with 1613 viewsdavman

The Manager on 19:12 - Jan 28 by Hastings_Hoops

I can understand why he added Dixon Bonner for Dykes. Dykes was hopeless today and we were conspicuous by our absence in midfield.

He was, but as always, when he went off, because we'd already proven that we could not cope with a "light" high press, the out ball had no-one to aim at. We all know Dykes' limitations, but he is pretty good in the air and now he has people to run off him. Without him on the pitch, we were all about hoofing it up there and hoping that they'd make a hash of it.

They were much, much better than us AND had effort to match.

Scraped a point and we have to take that.

So we have the striker everyone was screaming for; shame we have no creative midfield to provide chances. EIGHT wins from somewhere - today HAD to be one of them, getting harder by the week now, sadly.

...and yep, whilst I will defend ANY manager that takes this lot on, not great today from MC. He probably wanted to keep a winning team together, but I'd start with Smyth all day ahead of Willock. Also, MC talks about the high press he likes to play with. In the last two games at LR, I've seen a good high press executed twice well by both visiting teams, whereas our consists of Colback pressing their full back by himself. Not seeing any kind of press from our lot. Is that because we're not going to do that or because we're not capable?

Night and Day from GA though; Night and Day...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

The Manager on 19:49 - Jan 28 with 1581 viewsmart_Goblin

I really think Marti needs to be braver in how he approaches the next game.
I think he’s been a breathe of fresh air but maybe he needs to just go for it Saturday .
We are missing the thickie twins in midfield so maybe drop Dykes in there as we need height in the side . Then put Chair central , move Willock (probably injured now) to his much favoured Left side and play Smyth with Armstrong up top. He brings Willock and Chair together as they might as well have been playing in different postcodes the last couple of games.

I don’t know. Maybe Dykes in there is a risk but someone has to play in there who doesn’t usually do it and I’d rather Dykes than Adomah .
I think he’s still slightly playing it safe in that respect and we have to go away and try to win.

The other thing is how unmotivated we looked and the huge lack of urgency in anything we did . So slow to do anything from a goal kick to a throw , players ambling over to get in postition and letting Huddersfield take their shape . Begovic driving me bloody mental at the moment . Put the ball down and bloody play !!!!!!!!
For one minute I don’t believe the players didn’t understand the importance of today or were instructed to take their time and look like they were knocking about in the park with a fag and a red stripe. Marti would not instruct that ! It’s on this bunch . They either don’t care enough or portray a bunch who don’t care . Paal took an age to go and take throw ins. Any danger you can have a little jog over there ??
So infuriating
The Manager on 19:59 - Jan 28 with 1534 viewsbaz_qpr

I thought Willock did ok first half with only him and Armstrong seemingly turning up. tbh I was more annoyed at our senior players Colback had a terrible game especially first half and was a real problem for us and not offering to get out of the press. Paal was very poor despite the goal. Chair could not get in the game and Dykes played in no mans land. Begovic distribution and decision making was diabolical. Had hoped we would get better second half but we got worse.

Lets be frank here the players froze, they did not press as they should have and no one stepped up to the plate to influence the game. I dont blame the manager for that
The Manager on 20:15 - Jan 28 with 1464 viewsHastings_Hoops

The Manager on 19:59 - Jan 28 by baz_qpr

I thought Willock did ok first half with only him and Armstrong seemingly turning up. tbh I was more annoyed at our senior players Colback had a terrible game especially first half and was a real problem for us and not offering to get out of the press. Paal was very poor despite the goal. Chair could not get in the game and Dykes played in no mans land. Begovic distribution and decision making was diabolical. Had hoped we would get better second half but we got worse.

Lets be frank here the players froze, they did not press as they should have and no one stepped up to the plate to influence the game. I dont blame the manager for that

Re Willock in the first half; I agree.
There was one move on about 30mins where Willock was in Acres of space and could have collected and been in the box for a shot within seconds and chair didn’t look up. Willock gave home a Bol£ocking and rightly so.
The Manager on 21:19 - Jan 28 with 1328 viewsQPRConor2000

I dont think he got it right today.

I personally think Smyth should of started over Willock, it was so clear to me that he offered a lot more when he came on compared to Willock, who looked very disinterested.

Marti isn't perfect, but I can cut him some slack purely cause of the quality of this squad, we lack depth in a lot of key areas, and its something imo that needs to be addressed.
The Manager on 21:52 - Jan 28 with 1251 viewsFredManRave

stainrods_elbow meets Marti Cifuentes.

Not 100% accurate but you get the idea and nothing wrong with finishing off a long day with some classic comedy....

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024