Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The rise and fall of a player 18:34 - Feb 10 with 6303 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Really impressed by Armstrong in the first half, his decision making has vastly improved and he caused all sorts of problems with pace. Second half faded, but a decent performance I thought.

Willock; what has happened? Looks an absolute shadow of 2 years ago. The injuries have finished him. Saw Marti screaming at him first half for not pressing etc, surprised he came out for the 2nd half. So sad to see. Can see Anderson starting ahead of him.

Just interesting to 2 players going in opposite directions.
The rise and fall of a player on 15:05 - Feb 12 with 1922 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The rise and fall of a player on 14:51 - Feb 12 by Wegerles_Stairs

He's a professional footballer; it goes with the territory. Blackpool is hardly Mars, is it? I can just imagine the opprobrium Todd Kane would have got if he'd made the same decision.

It really doesn‘t. Not sure why he’s even getting flak for this.

He didn’t stay for greed or to my knowledge act unprofessionally. He‘s also not a young player looking for games anymore.

I’d rather keep keep than Willock frankly.

My thoughts might be different if he’d disparaged a fellow player and was banned for making a zenophobic remark though.
[Post edited 12 Feb 15:06]
The rise and fall of a player on 15:09 - Feb 12 with 1905 viewsWatford_Ranger

The rise and fall of a player on 14:51 - Feb 12 by Wegerles_Stairs

He's a professional footballer; it goes with the territory. Blackpool is hardly Mars, is it? I can just imagine the opprobrium Todd Kane would have got if he'd made the same decision.

It’s a job. It’s not like he’s refusing to play or playing but holding back. He gives everything whenever he plays. Kane was adamant he was better than QPR and 2.5 years later isn’t a footballer.
The rise and fall of a player on 15:19 - Feb 12 with 1875 viewsWadR

Been a frequent defender of Willock but find watching him now sad and frustrating.

There was a point in the first half where he picked up possession just inside our half with room to drive - not dissimilar to the position he started his run to score the wonder goal v Boro last season - and he just didn't have the legs. Couldn't beat players for pace and invariably has to check back rather than take people on. That's the part I find sad.

What's infuriating is his consistent half arsing especially in the defensive side of the game. He bottles every 50/50 - there was one against Huddersfield which was more like an 80/20 in his favour and he flailed the meekest limb at the ball, we lost possession and Huddersfield had a dangerous attack. Having knackered hamstrings doesn't excuse that.
The rise and fall of a player on 16:16 - Feb 12 with 1758 viewsWegerles_Stairs

The rise and fall of a player on 15:05 - Feb 12 by BazzaInTheLoft

It really doesn‘t. Not sure why he’s even getting flak for this.

He didn’t stay for greed or to my knowledge act unprofessionally. He‘s also not a young player looking for games anymore.

I’d rather keep keep than Willock frankly.

My thoughts might be different if he’d disparaged a fellow player and was banned for making a zenophobic remark though.
[Post edited 12 Feb 15:06]

Yet you're criticising Willock for turning down a move. Seems a bit odd to criticise one player (who is actually in our first team and contributing) while defending another who does the same yet is currently turning out for the development squad.
The rise and fall of a player on 18:19 - Feb 12 with 1634 viewsStainrod

I thought it was poor of Kakay not to go, albeit his attitude appeared previously very good. Lack of professional ambition and pride. He knows he is not first choice and probably not even second choice. If he is in the development squad that is the manager telling him loud and clear he is not part of Marti's plans. Footballers get much higher than average wages but the condition is careers are short and they have to move about. This was his chance to put himself in the shop window and earn a move. When his contract runs out and he can't get a club he shouldn't be that surprised.
The rise and fall of a player on 18:32 - Feb 12 with 1591 viewsdavman

The rise and fall of a player on 09:48 - Feb 12 by BazzaInTheLoft

Anderson hopefully resolves the Willock problem.

Maybe unjustly and maybe rashly, I just don’t want Willock near this team. I think what he brings us in a goals and assists every blue moon he takes away in reliability, lack of work rate, and the disruptive contract situation. Rumours again, but I understand he refused £25k p/w from Hull in the window.

Couldn‘t imagine a player I’d hate to be a right back behind more.

Looking forward to getting Kolli back too. Between he and Anderson I’m hoping that spells the end of Willock‘s term here. Thanks for the goals and assists, all of which came when nothing was at stake.
[Post edited 12 Feb 9:54]

Agree.

He was always going to go into self preservation mode at some point irrespective of our position in the league - it's just him, it's what he does.

He's got every right to run his contract down and not even entertain an extension with this club who bought him back from the obscurity of Benfica's B Team.

And we've got every right to greet him back to LR in whatever way we want after he leaves.

Such a shame; he really looked to be growing Eze-esque at one point in his second season. A quiet, but likeable lad with a really good attitude on the pitch. But the modern day footballer - no tosses given for the team that pays his wage; all purely transactional on his and his dad's part, just waiting to maximise earnings by turning up at a place as a free agent taking part of what would have been a transfer fee all for himself.
The rules mean that they can do that and the rules mean (yet again) that clubs on limited income will be on even more limited income whilst the top teams and Chel*** can spend wtf they want with no repercussions.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

The rise and fall of a player on 18:35 - Feb 12 with 1577 viewsdavman

The rise and fall of a player on 12:57 - Feb 12 by TheChef

Likewise - his heart is clearly not in it and he's just protecting himself from injury ahead of his move in the summer. Assuming the money is good enough and Daddy approves.

I can understand though why Cif is starting him currently. But probably not long till Andersen starts in his place.

Thing is dropping him is a risk in itself as his point of not giving a s**t may be bought forward a month or two. We may need even a semi interested Willock due to the thin squad we have.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

The rise and fall of a player on 18:40 - Feb 12 with 1577 viewsqueensparker

I don’t think Willock can’t be arsed and it’s a mental thing, he seems physically changed after the hamstring injuries. He’s just not the same player, he’s not going to join someone like Hull and turn into Willock 2021 and start sprinting about.

It’s sad to see but that’s the player he is now. He should take any decent move he can get
Login to get fewer ads

The rise and fall of a player on 19:00 - Feb 12 with 1520 viewsjoe90

I didn’t think Willock played nearly as bad as some are making out. He was getting a lot of undue stick for his defensive work, I thought he read the game well and knew when to commit and when not to. One notable example first half 3v3 he went to his man, won the ball and set up a counter. Another time a 2v3 and people around me screaming at him to press the man on the ball, obviously he’s not going to do that. Third example, there was a spare Norwich player behind him, people screaming at him to get tight but without looking at what was actually going on in the game. As soon as Norwich were in a position to cross Willock was on him.

I think people need to give him a break. He won’t be with us forever and whilst we need him we should just get behind him.
The rise and fall of a player on 19:06 - Feb 12 with 1484 viewsNorthantsHoop

The rise and fall of a player on 19:00 - Feb 12 by joe90

I didn’t think Willock played nearly as bad as some are making out. He was getting a lot of undue stick for his defensive work, I thought he read the game well and knew when to commit and when not to. One notable example first half 3v3 he went to his man, won the ball and set up a counter. Another time a 2v3 and people around me screaming at him to press the man on the ball, obviously he’s not going to do that. Third example, there was a spare Norwich player behind him, people screaming at him to get tight but without looking at what was actually going on in the game. As soon as Norwich were in a position to cross Willock was on him.

I think people need to give him a break. He won’t be with us forever and whilst we need him we should just get behind him.

I sort of gave up on Willock a while back, like the look of Andersen already and Smyth for all his faults with a final ball can cause problems with his pace and is a trier
The rise and fall of a player on 21:20 - Feb 12 with 1304 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Not sure Marti felt his defensive work was that good considering the bollocking he was giving him in the first half.
He looks physically shot, and definitely lost a half yard of pace. His body language isn't good, he looks disinterested when he doesn't have the ball.
The rise and fall of a player on 21:37 - Feb 12 with 1258 viewsjoe90

The rise and fall of a player on 19:06 - Feb 12 by NorthantsHoop

I sort of gave up on Willock a while back, like the look of Andersen already and Smyth for all his faults with a final ball can cause problems with his pace and is a trier

I thought Andersen looked superb, want see him play a few more times before getting too excited.Agree with you on Smyth.
[Post edited 12 Feb 21:38]
The rise and fall of a player on 21:44 - Feb 12 with 1244 viewsjoe90

The rise and fall of a player on 21:20 - Feb 12 by Wilkinswatercarrier

Not sure Marti felt his defensive work was that good considering the bollocking he was giving him in the first half.
He looks physically shot, and definitely lost a half yard of pace. His body language isn't good, he looks disinterested when he doesn't have the ball.

Agree about his body language. I thought against Huddersfield he was much worse and hung Cannon out to dry on a number of occasions.

As I said, he’ll be gone soon enough, but we need him until the end of the season so might as well get behind him for the remaining games.
The rise and fall of a player on 00:29 - Feb 13 with 1074 viewsAntti_Heinola

Agree with a lot of this. So many fans around me, as an example, when the oppo have the ball wide on our left, they scream at Reggie (or whoever is at RB) for leaving their left winger unmarked, as if it's sensible for him to run away from play and leave a ruddy great hole between himself and Cook to mark someone on the bloody touchline. I don't profess to know much about how defending works, but I do know that as a team you need to be compact!

Bare bones.

The rise and fall of a player on 07:33 - Feb 13 with 910 viewslassel

The rise and fall of a player on 00:29 - Feb 13 by Antti_Heinola

Agree with a lot of this. So many fans around me, as an example, when the oppo have the ball wide on our left, they scream at Reggie (or whoever is at RB) for leaving their left winger unmarked, as if it's sensible for him to run away from play and leave a ruddy great hole between himself and Cook to mark someone on the bloody touchline. I don't profess to know much about how defending works, but I do know that as a team you need to be compact!

It shouldn’t be *that* surprising AH - a lot of people saw Kakay do exactly that at The Den and still complain that Marti immediately realised he couldn’t let him in the pitch anymore.
The rise and fall of a player on 07:54 - Feb 13 with 886 viewsNorthernr

The rise and fall of a player on 00:29 - Feb 13 by Antti_Heinola

That's been one of the big improvements under Cifuentes. The defence is compact, in shape, defends the width of the penalty box. Before he got here the general consensus was we had to play a back three and could only ever get away with a four if you parked a load of defensive central midfielders in front of it. Now we're getting results against teams like Hull and Norwich with a four.

It does mean you risk conceding a goal exactly like that second on Saturday though, with a full back in field and a big overlap beyond him. But every system is going to have strengths and weaknesses.
The rise and fall of a player on 08:29 - Feb 13 with 840 viewstraininvain

The rise and fall of a player on 21:20 - Feb 12 by Wilkinswatercarrier

But Marti must feel it’s worth the risk otherwise he wouldn’t be starting him every week. Anderson gives us another option now but Willock still has the quality to hurt teams at this level and I’m sure he will play his part between now and the end of this season.

[Post edited 13 Feb 8:29]
The rise and fall of a player on 09:12 - Feb 13 with 787 viewsTheChef

The rise and fall of a player on 18:35 - Feb 12 by davman

Thing is dropping him is a risk in itself as his point of not giving a s**t may be bought forward a month or two. We may need even a semi interested Willock due to the thin squad we have.

Well now we have Andersen as well the squad is not as thin as it was.

But like I said I think Marti will keep starting Willock because of that bit of quality he can provide given a chance. Most likely though he'll only be getting an hour or so when he has Smyth and Andersen as options from the bench.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

The rise and fall of a player on 09:50 - Feb 13 with 686 viewsdaveB

I thought he got better after the bollocking, nice cross for the goal as well but would be surprised if he is still starting games in a months time
The rise and fall of a player on 09:51 - Feb 13 with 680 viewsdaveB

The rise and fall of a player on 18:19 - Feb 12 by Stainrod

I thought it was poor of Kakay not to go, albeit his attitude appeared previously very good. Lack of professional ambition and pride. He knows he is not first choice and probably not even second choice. If he is in the development squad that is the manager telling him loud and clear he is not part of Marti's plans. Footballers get much higher than average wages but the condition is careers are short and they have to move about. This was his chance to put himself in the shop window and earn a move. When his contract runs out and he can't get a club he shouldn't be that surprised.

or he wants to stay and fight for his place
The rise and fall of a player on 09:51 - Feb 13 with 680 viewsTheChef

The rise and fall of a player on 09:50 - Feb 13 by daveB

I thought he got better after the bollocking, nice cross for the goal as well but would be surprised if he is still starting games in a months time

Mate of mine was suggesting Andersen is probably still a little way off from that.

Smyth clearly has pace and workrate but his delivery/use of the ball is more League One/Two unfortunately.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

The rise and fall of a player on 10:05 - Feb 13 with 662 viewsAntti_Heinola

The rise and fall of a player on 07:54 - Feb 13 by Northernr

That's been one of the big improvements under Cifuentes. The defence is compact, in shape, defends the width of the penalty box. Before he got here the general consensus was we had to play a back three and could only ever get away with a four if you parked a load of defensive central midfielders in front of it. Now we're getting results against teams like Hull and Norwich with a four.

It does mean you risk conceding a goal exactly like that second on Saturday though, with a full back in field and a big overlap beyond him. But every system is going to have strengths and weaknesses.

I mean, there were games at the beginning of this season where the space was ludicrous. If Norwich had played like that against us in early September, they could have scored as many as they wanted.

Bare bones.

The rise and fall of a player on 10:35 - Feb 13 with 588 viewsPhilmyRs

The rise and fall of a player on 09:51 - Feb 13 by daveB

or he wants to stay and fight for his place

I don’t blame him for not leaving, that’s entirely his call and he should do what’s right for him, but I would be seriously worried if we see much of Kakay before the end of the season. I’m pretty sure he’s been told he’s not in the Manager’s plans, which for me is entirely the right call. Kakay has been cut a lot of slack because he’s one of the few players that have come through our academy. There was hope that he could kick-on, similar to Darnell, and become a decent player for us, or somebody else, but it’s just never happened, despite the odd glimpse of potential. I don’t buy the argument that he’s decent cover, he’s not. Scouting the lower leagues, finding a player of Kakay’s ability or better still, someone with similar ability but more development potential to eventually become a first teamer, is achievable. Kakay isn’t young by development standards so the likelihood of him developing into the decent first team full back we crave is very slim. Yes he can cover a number of positions, but cover them well? Not for me. We need a player capable of covering full back when we rebuild in the summer, and Kakay shouldn’t be looked at as an option for doing that.
The rise and fall of a player on 10:44 - Feb 13 with 559 viewsWelsh_Ranger

The rise and fall of a player on 10:35 - Feb 13 by PhilmyRs

I don’t blame him for not leaving, that’s entirely his call and he should do what’s right for him, but I would be seriously worried if we see much of Kakay before the end of the season. I’m pretty sure he’s been told he’s not in the Manager’s plans, which for me is entirely the right call. Kakay has been cut a lot of slack because he’s one of the few players that have come through our academy. There was hope that he could kick-on, similar to Darnell, and become a decent player for us, or somebody else, but it’s just never happened, despite the odd glimpse of potential. I don’t buy the argument that he’s decent cover, he’s not. Scouting the lower leagues, finding a player of Kakay’s ability or better still, someone with similar ability but more development potential to eventually become a first teamer, is achievable. Kakay isn’t young by development standards so the likelihood of him developing into the decent first team full back we crave is very slim. Yes he can cover a number of positions, but cover them well? Not for me. We need a player capable of covering full back when we rebuild in the summer, and Kakay shouldn’t be looked at as an option for doing that.

It seams from what Clive implied is that they had players ready to come in once Kakay etc was shifted, maybe one was a full back that had some potential. Hopefully these could be revisited once we know what league we will be playing in next season, or even given the extra time other prospects could be identified.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024