Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Everton points deduction reduced 13:50 - Feb 26 with 17904 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Reduced by 4 points to 6. Can't surely have them get relegated rather than little old Luton. What a joke.

Good thing is it pulls Brentford down a little further.
Everton points deduction reduced on 07:14 - Apr 4 with 3108 viewsenfieldargh

Everton points deduction reduced on 19:52 - Apr 3 by saxbend

This reminds me of another thought I had about a possible financial rule change. What if parachute payments were optional? Any relegated club could pay one point for every £10M they choose to receive as a parachute, up to whatever the maximum currently is. Of course P&S would still apply so a team choosing not to accept the payments who then breached their spending limit would get the corresponding points deduction anyway.

Que??

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Everton points deduction reduced on 08:23 - Apr 4 with 2992 viewsDannyPaddox

Everton points deduction reduced on 19:52 - Apr 3 by saxbend

This reminds me of another thought I had about a possible financial rule change. What if parachute payments were optional? Any relegated club could pay one point for every £10M they choose to receive as a parachute, up to whatever the maximum currently is. Of course P&S would still apply so a team choosing not to accept the payments who then breached their spending limit would get the corresponding points deduction anyway.

Eats parachutes and leaves?
Everton points deduction reduced on 10:01 - Apr 4 with 2840 viewsWilly_WonkR

The only way that I can see any kind of parity being restored is a wage cap. Spend what you like to buy a player but here's your budget for wages. Additional perks would need to be included as well, so no longer buying a house for the player's mum.

It won't happen of course because it would just put English clubs a a massive disadvantage compared to the other teams in the Champion's League. If the best players start leaving for France and Germany then the TV revenue will fall and the poor players will have to cope with 10s of million pounds a year rather than hundreds.

As for parachute payments, what always gets me is the double counting. A couple of years back Burnley get their parachute payments to pay the wages of their premier league players. Fair enough, they need to be able to assemble a mildly competitive team in the top division. But if they start selling players after relegation like Pope to Newcastle for £20m+ then they should no longer get the money to cover his wages. Any contract signed as a premier league club is subsidised by 50%, 30% and 10% (or whatever) over 3 years but only up to the point that they own that player.
Everton points deduction reduced on 11:09 - Apr 4 with 2720 viewsnix

Everton points deduction reduced on 10:01 - Apr 4 by Willy_WonkR

The only way that I can see any kind of parity being restored is a wage cap. Spend what you like to buy a player but here's your budget for wages. Additional perks would need to be included as well, so no longer buying a house for the player's mum.

It won't happen of course because it would just put English clubs a a massive disadvantage compared to the other teams in the Champion's League. If the best players start leaving for France and Germany then the TV revenue will fall and the poor players will have to cope with 10s of million pounds a year rather than hundreds.

As for parachute payments, what always gets me is the double counting. A couple of years back Burnley get their parachute payments to pay the wages of their premier league players. Fair enough, they need to be able to assemble a mildly competitive team in the top division. But if they start selling players after relegation like Pope to Newcastle for £20m+ then they should no longer get the money to cover his wages. Any contract signed as a premier league club is subsidised by 50%, 30% and 10% (or whatever) over 3 years but only up to the point that they own that player.

That's an excellent point. The parachute payments were designed to cover long term contracts at Premiership wages. If they're no longer paying those wages, then they shouldn't get compensation for them. I'm not sure how you'd police that though.
Everton points deduction reduced on 13:24 - Apr 4 with 2558 viewshantssi

Everton points deduction reduced on 07:14 - Apr 4 by enfieldargh

Que??

I’m glad it wasn’t just me!
Thought I was being really thick!
Everton points deduction reduced on 13:29 - Apr 4 with 2548 viewsR_from_afar

Everton points deduction reduced on 21:45 - Mar 18 by bosh67

I agree. The rules for all this seem to be being made as they go along. It's all allegedly being scrapped next season so what's the point?

The football authorities seem to me to like to wait until they are sure where a team will end up before they give them a major penalty. That way, they can give them a slap on the wrist without relegating them and triggering a massive legal battle.

You could call it the Derby County manoeuvre.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Everton points deduction reduced on 16:08 - Apr 4 with 2396 viewssaxbend

I posted the following in another thread on this topic not long ago. As per my thoughts on parachute payments to be paid for with points, it's just an idea, which no-one with the power to implement it would have any incentive to, but I do believe it's a solution to the problem that the very same people purport to care about in their frequent lipservice.

I would suggest a spending limit that applies to all clubs and is realistic for the clubs with the smallest budgets. If I were to define the rules, I would still allow clubs with more money to spend it on transfer fees, but not on wages, and any fees over a certain amount would only be allowed if paid to a club who spent the previous season at least one division below the club purchasing the player in question.

All player contracts would necessarily have wages based on the current division the club is in. Get promoted, your wages go up automatically. Get relegated, they go down. No need for parachute payments. Sign for a club in a different division, your wages will automatically reflect that.

I would also add an annual increase in wages (relative to the division modifier) for every consecutive year spent at the same club (regardless of how many times the contract is renewed). If you sign for someone else, you go back down to the starting wage for that club's division, regardless of age and experience.

Top players still get rich from playing football, but instead of it coming from their clubs, they receive extra prize money based on league and cup finishes, personal stats, player of the season awards, tv votes, season ticket holder votes, internet votes, etc. all paid for with the broadcast and sponsorship money that no longer goes on inflated wages or parachute payments.

That's how I'd do it anyway.
[Post edited 4 Apr 19:20]
Everton points deduction reduced on 18:23 - Apr 4 with 2202 viewsNed_Kennedys

Everton points deduction reduced on 13:29 - Apr 4 by R_from_afar

The football authorities seem to me to like to wait until they are sure where a team will end up before they give them a major penalty. That way, they can give them a slap on the wrist without relegating them and triggering a massive legal battle.

You could call it the Derby County manoeuvre.

I’m sure you are right: for example if Man City were 10 points clear at the end of the season then expect their thousands of charges to be suddenly processed very quickly and an 8 point penalty imposed…..
Login to get fewer ads

Everton points deduction reduced on 19:17 - Apr 4 with 2125 viewsMatch82

Everton points deduction reduced on 16:08 - Apr 4 by saxbend

I posted the following in another thread on this topic not long ago. As per my thoughts on parachute payments to be paid for with points, it's just an idea, which no-one with the power to implement it would have any incentive to, but I do believe it's a solution to the problem that the very same people purport to care about in their frequent lipservice.

I would suggest a spending limit that applies to all clubs and is realistic for the clubs with the smallest budgets. If I were to define the rules, I would still allow clubs with more money to spend it on transfer fees, but not on wages, and any fees over a certain amount would only be allowed if paid to a club who spent the previous season at least one division below the club purchasing the player in question.

All player contracts would necessarily have wages based on the current division the club is in. Get promoted, your wages go up automatically. Get relegated, they go down. No need for parachute payments. Sign for a club in a different division, your wages will automatically reflect that.

I would also add an annual increase in wages (relative to the division modifier) for every consecutive year spent at the same club (regardless of how many times the contract is renewed). If you sign for someone else, you go back down to the starting wage for that club's division, regardless of age and experience.

Top players still get rich from playing football, but instead of it coming from their clubs, they receive extra prize money based on league and cup finishes, personal stats, player of the season awards, tv votes, season ticket holder votes, internet votes, etc. all paid for with the broadcast and sponsorship money that no longer goes on inflated wages or parachute payments.

That's how I'd do it anyway.
[Post edited 4 Apr 19:20]

The surest way to guarantee no clubs are going belly up is to pay up front into a trust that subsequently gets distributed to the player over a period of time. Want to give a player £100k a week for 2 years? Great, put that £10.4M in a holding account up front. Extend the contract? Holding account gets topped up so that money is all there.

Will obviously never happen. Logistical nightmare and impossible to get from where we are now to that status.
Everton points deduction reduced on 14:14 - Apr 8 with 1769 viewsted_hendrix

Everton just deducted two more points, that'll teach em eh?

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Everton points deduction reduced on 14:25 - Apr 8 with 1709 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Everton points deduction reduced on 14:14 - Apr 8 by ted_hendrix

Better deals than Poundland. A 10-point reduction for one charge becomes an eight-point one for two charges. Well done, everyone concerned.
Everton points deduction reduced on 14:40 - Apr 8 with 1659 viewsNed_Kennedys

Everton points deduction reduced on 14:14 - Apr 8 by ted_hendrix

I hope they appeal: can get it down to half a point.
Everton points deduction reduced on 14:43 - Apr 8 with 1640 viewsdaveB

Everton points deduction reduced on 14:40 - Apr 8 by Ned_Kennedys

I hope they appeal: can get it down to half a point.

they are going to appeal, is madness, just take it and get on with it
Everton points deduction reduced on 14:59 - Apr 8 with 1541 viewsNed_Kennedys

Absolutely no deterrent to stop Everton or Forest doing it again, or other clubs from doing the same.
Invest heavily in the squad and blow FFP out the water to try to get into Europe. Great if you make it but no worries if you don’t as the points penalty will only mean a lower mid table position.

However if someone like Luton tried it I bet the points deduction would be a lot higher…..
Everton points deduction reduced on 15:06 - Apr 8 with 1472 viewsLongsufferingR

Never thought I would ever be as ardent a Luton fan as I am for the rest of this season.
Everton points deduction reduced on 15:07 - Apr 8 with 1472 viewsted_hendrix

I wonder If Man City are getting Investigated? I honestly thought they were not that they'll get punished In any way similar to our neighbours I suppose.

It's all crap anyway................

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Everton points deduction reduced on 15:18 - Apr 8 with 1427 viewsTheChef

Everton points deduction reduced on 15:07 - Apr 8 by ted_hendrix

I wonder If Man City are getting Investigated? I honestly thought they were not that they'll get punished In any way similar to our neighbours I suppose.

Oh they will get investigated but probably in 5024 - takes a lot of time you see.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Everton points deduction reduced on 15:24 - Apr 8 with 1366 viewsJuzzie

Everton points deduction reduced on 15:07 - Apr 8 by ted_hendrix

Everton's original deduction was based on one charge. Man City have 115 covering something like 5 different situations. They are also, legally(!) of course, doing everything they can to purposely delay it all for as long as possible.
Everton points deduction reduced on 17:14 - Apr 8 with 1157 viewsthame_hoops

Everton and Forest deserve to get relegated, but they won’t because the standard in the Premier League this year is so bad. Luton, Burnley and Sheffield United are some of the worst teams to have ever played in the top flight
Everton points deduction reduced on 17:20 - Apr 8 with 1143 viewsloftboy

Everton points deduction reduced on 17:14 - Apr 8 by thame_hoops

Everton and Forest deserve to get relegated, but they won’t because the standard in the Premier League this year is so bad. Luton, Burnley and Sheffield United are some of the worst teams to have ever played in the top flight

Bit harsh on Luton who have more points than we got last time we were there with 6 games still to play

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Everton points deduction reduced on 17:29 - Apr 8 with 1080 viewsthame_hoops

Everton points deduction reduced on 17:20 - Apr 8 by loftboy

Bit harsh on Luton who have more points than we got last time we were there with 6 games still to play

Fair enough, they started slow, I did say ‘some’ of the worst ever teams, I’m aware we were bad
[Post edited 8 Apr 17:30]
Everton points deduction reduced on 17:35 - Apr 8 with 1069 viewsLblock

Hadn't heard this till read it just now.

An absolute farce.

I'm actually just back from a couple of pints where we were talking about this and the farce that is the Prem and hadn't realised this was happening.

Do these people on these committees not realise just how weak and complicit handing out these sort of punishments make them look?
The game really does need a hard crash reset - such a shame the Euro Super League never got off the ground. I'd happily wave those slags goodbye and focus on a more level playing field.
Sad thing is... that wouldn't stay level for long.

Alternatively - how about the authorities actually get a vehicle in place where any billionaire can come in and waste every penny they've got but not leverage it against the club? Make them deposit money in escrow to honour every Contractual penny they commit to through Contracts etc. THAT would really safeguard clubs but, sadly, might mean those at the top challenged by others so that just wont do.

The game has totally gone

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Everton points deduction reduced on 17:50 - Apr 8 with 1021 viewsdaveB

Everton points deduction reduced on 15:24 - Apr 8 by Juzzie

Everton's original deduction was based on one charge. Man City have 115 covering something like 5 different situations. They are also, legally(!) of course, doing everything they can to purposely delay it all for as long as possible.

Evertons one is an open and shit case really, you can only breach FFP by X amount and they went over so points deduction same as Forest

The Man City one is 115 charges relating to the Premier claiming the club were lying about incomes and that they were paying players and managers through off shore accounts that were not in the club accounts, this all relates to the years pre Pep Guardiola so has been going on a very long time and is very difficult to prove
Everton points deduction reduced on 17:56 - Apr 8 with 994 viewsPunteR

Everton points deduction reduced on 17:50 - Apr 8 by daveB

Evertons one is an open and shit case really, you can only breach FFP by X amount and they went over so points deduction same as Forest

The Man City one is 115 charges relating to the Premier claiming the club were lying about incomes and that they were paying players and managers through off shore accounts that were not in the club accounts, this all relates to the years pre Pep Guardiola so has been going on a very long time and is very difficult to prove

What's the problem with paying through other businesses though.?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Everton points deduction reduced on 17:57 - Apr 8 with 990 viewsJuzzie

Everton points deduction reduced on 17:50 - Apr 8 by daveB

It is shit, that's true....
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024