Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stan’s Greatest Game 22:48 - Mar 2 with 1737 viewsShotKneesHoop

There were many games to chose from, but I give you one grey Saturday afternoon in the early seventies at Stamford Bridge, when it was a complete and utter shithole, a total dump, with a greyhound track with bent lights, the Shed full of Neanderthals, a pitch like a paddy field, a ref like Neil in Bottom, and Droy, Macready, Harris, Hutchinson, trying to kick lumps out of him.

Stan skipped over every tackle like Margot Fonteyn and went back for more. I think the game ended up as a 3-3 draw; but I’ve never seen anyone be so brave as to keep on wanting the ball, regardless of the consequences.

Rodney started it. Stan finished it.

I’m too far away and too old and too short of readies to be there at Loftus Road on Wednesday.

I live in West Norfolk now, and today I bumped into someone I know here who is a Carlisle supporter, who greeted me with a left foot shot and said “your lot stole him from us for only £112,000 - but at least he went to a good home.”

We both agreed that Stan was the most gifted footballer that both of us had seen. I hope he gets a special send off this Wednesday.

What’s your greatest memory of Stan The Man?

[Post edited 2 Mar 23:00]

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Stan’s Greatest Game on 23:03 - Mar 2 with 1644 viewsrbee

I was there as well and it was a 3-3 draw, a cracking game. MOTD cameras missed out big time!

Stan was the player of the match but fair play to Charlie Cook as he also played really well.
Stan’s Greatest Game on 23:23 - Mar 2 with 1604 viewsShotKneesHoop

Stan’s Greatest Game on 23:03 - Mar 2 by rbee

I was there as well and it was a 3-3 draw, a cracking game. MOTD cameras missed out big time!

Stan was the player of the match but fair play to Charlie Cook as he also played really well.

What year was it?

Cooke was the only Chelscum player who didn’t try to kick the opposition to death.

We should have walked that game, but I vaguely remember a couple of soft goals that we gave away after being comfortably in control-as is usually the case.

Considering lousy pitches, crap grounds, crap refs, heavy balls……., the entertainment was fantastic in those days.

Three bob to get in, a tanner for a programme, three pence for a packet of Percy Daltons.

And Stan was part of the deal.
[Post edited 2 Mar 23:25]

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Stan’s Greatest Game on 23:24 - Mar 2 with 1597 viewsrbee

Pretty sure that it was 1973
Stan’s Greatest Game on 23:29 - Mar 2 with 1559 viewsqpr_1968

Stan’s Greatest Game on 23:24 - Mar 2 by rbee

Pretty sure that it was 1973

saturday 23rd february 1974.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Stan’s Greatest Game on 23:31 - Mar 2 with 1553 viewsted_hendrix

Wasn't Droy that half ape half kangaroo with a beard?

Stan could play on mud for fun, I'm gonna get my old programmes out and reminisce.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Stan’s Greatest Game on 23:52 - Mar 2 with 1499 viewsBoston

Y'ep as others have said, '74. Great day, little nervy on the North Stand, thought I was going to get done at Fulham Broadway afterwards, but who cares.
Stan, fronting up to the 'giant' Droy was superb.

An FYI, Droy worked in an electrical supply house at the top of Ladbroke Grove when he knocked football on the head.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Stan’s Greatest Game on 23:54 - Mar 2 with 1494 viewsBoston

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Stan’s Greatest Game on 00:28 - Mar 3 with 1460 viewscaliforniahoop

Stan’s Greatest Game on 23:31 - Mar 2 by ted_hendrix

Stan could play on mud for fun, I'm gonna get my old programmes out and reminisce.

That’s him😂
Login to get fewer ads

Stan’s Greatest Game on 07:59 - Mar 3 with 1262 viewsHantsR

Stan’s Greatest Game on 23:31 - Mar 2 by ted_hendrix

I was at that 3-3 game and especially remember one of Stan's goals when he feinted with his left and scored with a right foot shot. A stupid recollection from that game was a loud- mouthed neutral bloke near me declaring to all and sundry at the end, 'two very poor sides!'- made me think I'm a lousy judge as I had enjoyed the game, mistakes and fouls nonetheless. I think it was another game when I saw Mickey Droy nearly slice Stan in half with a waist- high tackle that went unpunished.
[Post edited 3 Mar 8:02]
Stan’s Greatest Game on 08:04 - Mar 3 with 1233 viewsShotKneesHoop

So, on 23 February 1974, did we all witness Stan’s greatest performance for the Hoops??

Surely there were some other games worth mentioning- great as Stan THE Man was at Chelscum Dog Track that day!!
[Post edited 3 Mar 8:08]

Stan’s Greatest Game on 08:10 - Mar 3 with 1201 viewsstevec

Yeah, was there, they kicked him all over the place.

Was that the game where Ron Harris went through Stan and that picture of him going over Harris shoulder emerged? I’m pretty sure Chelsea have that framed picture in their hall of fame (or shame as I prefer to call it).
Stan’s Greatest Game on 11:16 - Mar 3 with 1048 viewsShotKneesHoop

Stan’s Greatest Game on 08:10 - Mar 3 by stevec

Yeah, was there, they kicked him all over the place.

Was that the game where Ron Harris went through Stan and that picture of him going over Harris shoulder emerged? I’m pretty sure Chelsea have that framed picture in their hall of fame (or shame as I prefer to call it).

Yes, the ref let Chelscum get away with 1970 FA Cup Final type fouls all over again.

Has anyone got a photo of the Ron Harris foul that they could post here?

Amazingly, I don’t think any one got booked.

Droy got away with murder. Stan embarrassed them all. Shame there’s no videos of him making those thugs look so stupid.
[Post edited 3 Mar 11:24]

Stan’s Greatest Game on 11:28 - Mar 3 with 1016 viewswelwynranger

Stan’s Greatest Game on 23:52 - Mar 2 by Boston

Y'ep as others have said, '74. Great day, little nervy on the North Stand, thought I was going to get done at Fulham Broadway afterwards, but who cares.
Stan, fronting up to the 'giant' Droy was superb.

An FYI, Droy worked in an electrical supply house at the top of Ladbroke Grove when he knocked football on the head.

He ran the company.
He now has a warehouse and electrical distribution centre in Welwyn Garden City.
And a shop at the Harrow Road end of Kilburn Lane
Westminster Electrics
Stan’s Greatest Game on 11:52 - Mar 3 with 972 viewsWatfordR

I mean I think it's probably a little bit like asking a Barca fan what was Messi's greatest game for them. Stan played at such a level of quality for so long, the answer for me is that most of his games were great. FWIW, I thought he was different gravy in the home games against Cologne and AEK, but (though I wasn't there), a few who were thought he was unplayable away to Slovan Bratislava.
Stan’s Greatest Game on 12:07 - Mar 3 with 953 viewswelwynranger

Stan’s Greatest Game on 08:04 - Mar 3 by ShotKneesHoop

So, on 23 February 1974, did we all witness Stan’s greatest performance for the Hoops??

Surely there were some other games worth mentioning- great as Stan THE Man was at Chelscum Dog Track that day!!
[Post edited 3 Mar 8:08]

Yea i was there that day.
But a month before that he scored to dump the scum out of the FA Cup at HQ with a great header..
Stan on 12:11 - Mar 3 with 949 viewsShotKneesHoop

I've found the photo,,but I'm struggling to upload it, so I've had to use a Chelscum site to get it on here. Please accept my apologies for polluting this page with scum links - but the photo makes up for it.

http://thechels.info/wiki/Chelsea_3-3_Queens_Park_Rangers_(1973-74_First_Divisio

Note that the ref was Roger Kirkpatrick, the show off egoist ref - whose party trick was to sprint backwards after awarding a free kick faster than he could run forwards. He really wound the crowd up when he did this. "oooooh, look at me". thank god the FA don't encourage refs like him anymore,

[Post edited 3 Mar 12:28]

Stan’s Greatest Game on 12:26 - Mar 3 with 910 viewsrbee

Great photo, thanks! Not from the 23 February 1974 game though as we played in the red and white quarters shirt that day.
Stan’s Greatest Game on 12:28 - Mar 3 with 904 viewsDannyPaddox

Previously on this channel …

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/forum/306671/50-years-a

Love all the recollections 💙🤍💙

ps: Rbee. We defo played in the red top / white collar that day.

[Post edited 3 Mar 12:33]
Stan’s Greatest Game on 12:32 - Mar 3 with 895 viewsShotKneesHoop

So maybe we did play in red and white quarters that day. I also note "Henry" Mancini in the background of the photo too.

Therefore I have great delight in blaming the Cheslcum site for providing this inaccurate data

It says something about Stan's memorable performance that we are here discussing what Stan did over 50 years ago.
[Post edited 3 Mar 12:35]

Stan’s Greatest Game on 12:58 - Mar 3 with 829 viewsDannyPaddox

This is important.

23 February 1974
Mild spring sunshine. Pitch soft.
Red top. White Collar.
Drew 3-3 (Givens, Bowles 2)
Name of Half time RAF Police Dog: Sheba
Att: 34,264

28 December 1974
Gale force winds. Pitch soft.
Red & White Quarters.
Won 3-0 (Francis, Givens 2)
First League win in the Stadium of Shyte
Att: 38,917

Stan’s Greatest Game on 13:00 - Mar 3 with 827 viewsrbee

According to Google the Micky Droy photo was taken during a cup tie?

I was at both games with my Chelsea supporting cousin, I guess my 50 year old memory can’t get everything right. Terry Mancini was no longer with us for the December game I am sure.
[Post edited 3 Mar 13:04]
Stan’s Greatest Game on 13:29 - Mar 3 with 778 viewsQPROslo

My greatest memory of Stan was a goal he scored at the Loft end. He had got himself out on the right side of the Opposition (Stoke?) penalty area faced by 2 defenders and a big name Keeper in goal for them (Banks or Shilton?). Stan moved to go right around them, the defender on the right went that way and fell over as Stan went back left. The other defender followed Stan's move to the left inside but lost his balance when Stan shymied back right again. Stan then pushed the ball between the 2 of them, jumped over their legs and put the ball in the far corner. It was a bit like the Sunderland goal shown a lot only he left 2 defenders on the ground as he went between them, looking comical. Never seen that goal again after that day but for me the best goal I've ever seen from just behind the Loft goal same side. Was probably the 76/77 season.
Edit. Looks like it was Shilton in goal for Stoke 25 September 1976. We won 2-0 , Givens with the other goal.
[Post edited 3 Mar 13:55]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024