Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Country 22:25 - Mar 31 with 3960 viewscolinallcars

Seeing as we've got a couple of music threads going……I think I may be the only country fan on here but Beyonce has a country album out which newspaper critics are wetting themselves over. The Times had a little list of essential country records which surprise, surprise, would not appeal to real country fans.
Anyone heard her album?
I expect I'll find it on youtube eventually.
Country on 18:38 - Apr 1 with 1281 viewsToast_R

I really like Ryan Bingham and went to see him in 2019. Not sure if you would call that country though but he did write a few tracks for Crazy Heart starring Jeff Bridges.
Country on 11:17 - Apr 2 with 1162 viewssouthbound_tram

Country on 17:55 - Apr 1 by BrianWilson

Love appalachian and bluegrass style stuff...

"Will The Circle Be Unbroken" (LP) was the gateway there for me. Doc Watson in particular. Highly recommended.
Country on 12:29 - Apr 2 with 1152 viewsBrianWilson

Country on 11:17 - Apr 2 by southbound_tram

"Will The Circle Be Unbroken" (LP) was the gateway there for me. Doc Watson in particular. Highly recommended.

Yes, it was in a way for me too. Guys like Jimmy Martin. Doc Watson, Earl Scruggs, Roy Acuff, Merle Travis...I hadn't known much of before. The mix of old and new with the Nitty Gritty guys made for a classic album.

Ralph Stanley and the Stanley Brothers are at the top of the genre for me. Later on guys like John Hartford.

"a diseased bunch of mofos if there ever was one, their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons." - Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

Country on 14:15 - Apr 2 with 1127 viewsEsox_Lucius

Not just a Wichita Lineman...

The grass is always greener.

Country on 14:21 - Apr 2 with 1112 viewshubble

Country on 18:30 - Apr 1 by London_Pride

Gillian Welch - pure class

Love Gillian Welch, pure class, as you say. Her partnership with guitarist Dave Rawlings has produced a rare, intensely moving musical experience.

Hard to pick an all-time fave, but it's between this and Everything is Free now.

[Post edited 2 Apr 14:22]

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Country on 14:26 - Apr 2 with 1098 viewsEsox_Lucius

I doubt if many have heard of these but they were different for sure.

The grass is always greener.

Country on 14:26 - Apr 2 with 1098 viewscolinallcars

Country on 14:21 - Apr 2 by hubble

Love Gillian Welch, pure class, as you say. Her partnership with guitarist Dave Rawlings has produced a rare, intensely moving musical experience.

Hard to pick an all-time fave, but it's between this and Everything is Free now.

These two are superb. I have all the albums and a DVD of their British tour.
The only less good album is the one they recorded at home during Covid.
Country on 16:10 - Apr 2 with 1052 viewsNed_Kennedys

Ah I love a bit of country though I’m more metal and hip hop really.

Check out Charley Crockett for more traditional country and Johnny Cash of course. Satan Is Real by The Louvin Brothers mainly for the brilliant album sleeve.

Recent stuff I like by Carly Pearce, Margo Price, Old Dominion, and Kacey Musgraves who I’m seeing at the Roundhouse soon.

Best country artist for me was the awesome Gram Parsons: two amazing solo albums but before that Sweetheart Of the Rodeo with The Byrds and The Gilded Palace of Sin with the Flying Burrito Brothers.

Login to get fewer ads

Country on 16:31 - Apr 2 with 1036 viewsSalisburyHoop1968

A big shout out for Rodney Crowell. Saw him live 20 years ago and was blown away. Never considered myself a country fan but he is fantastic. Fates right hand and the outsider are two fantastic albums. He was also married to Rosanne Cash (daughter of the legend) so great Gene's.
Country on 16:58 - Apr 2 with 1009 viewsRangersDave

'country' you say?

well, here's a classic about it 🤪

Double bubble here guys.
[Post edited 2 Apr 16:59]

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Country on 18:02 - Apr 30 with 784 viewsBluce_Ree

This might not count as country. I don't know. But I heard it the other day in a restaurant and had to Shazam it because it was good. Turns out it's a Sheryl Crow song. Hmm.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Country on 18:32 - Apr 30 with 758 viewsdmm

Never been much of a Country fan. I didn't even like the New Riders of the Purple Sage or the Grateful Dead, which didn't go down well back in the day.
Country on 19:13 - Apr 30 with 727 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Beyonce covered Jolene by Dolly and changed the words. Enough said about that.....

I'm seeing Sea Sick Steve in June in Kingston. Not really full country, but near enough.
Country on 19:55 - Apr 30 with 697 viewsdmm

Country on 14:21 - Apr 2 by hubble

I quite like her. Reminded me a bit of the Milk Carton Kids who I also like now and again.

Country on 20:17 - Apr 30 with 680 viewsTacticalR

The Rough Guide to Americana (2001) is a good collection which includes this Gram Parsons cover:

Air hostess clique

Country on 20:45 - Apr 30 with 654 viewsstowmarketrange

I was listening to Zoe Ball on Radio 2 this morning and she played a song from the new Jonny Cash album,which was put together by his son and if that is the standard I think they would’ve been better to bury the master copy with him.
I love the Jonny Cash classics,but this certainly isn’t one of them.I think it’s called “It’s alright”
It was about meeting a bird in the laundromat and him asking if he could carry her washing basket for her.A real pile of garbage in my opinion.
Country on 21:31 - Apr 30 with 605 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Country on 20:45 - Apr 30 by stowmarketrange

I was listening to Zoe Ball on Radio 2 this morning and she played a song from the new Jonny Cash album,which was put together by his son and if that is the standard I think they would’ve been better to bury the master copy with him.
I love the Jonny Cash classics,but this certainly isn’t one of them.I think it’s called “It’s alright”
It was about meeting a bird in the laundromat and him asking if he could carry her washing basket for her.A real pile of garbage in my opinion.

It's called 'Well Alright'. And I think if you listen to it again you realise it's not really about asking to carry her washing.

Then I opened up the dryer and I set it on soft and light. She said be gentle with my silk and lace, and I said, well alright.
Country on 22:29 - Apr 30 with 573 viewsstowmarketrange

Country on 21:31 - Apr 30 by Wilkinswatercarrier

It's called 'Well Alright'. And I think if you listen to it again you realise it's not really about asking to carry her washing.

Then I opened up the dryer and I set it on soft and light. She said be gentle with my silk and lace, and I said, well alright.

I’m still not getting it mate.
Country on 00:10 - May 1 with 527 viewsbob566

Country on 09:54 - Apr 1 by Esox_Lucius

I still listen to a lot of country music, along with Bluegrass, Cajun and Americana folk. There's no such thing, essentially, as bad music just music you don't like. I love listening to Dolly Parton just as much as I love listening to Pink Floyd, The Who, Infected Mushroom, System Of A Down or Wu Tang Clan. I am currently sat at my PC listening to Ozric Tentacles but may feel in the mood for some KLF later in the day or Ani DiFranco.
IMO, limiting your musical experience to a favourite genre greatly reduces your chances of stumbling across something you wouldn't normally listen to but discover that you love it. Recent stuff for me would be Destroy Boys, Pierce The Veil and Christine and the Queens.
A lot of what Punter posts here is not to my taste but even then I still enjoy odd tunes from Apache Indian and General Levy... if you like it, you like it.

What a great post. Love a bit of country. Love classical music at times. Love punk. Love new romance. Love rap. Love metal. Sometimes I even love spice girls if I'm in the mood at the time. What I don't Love is people saying e.g. they're crap about any band or artist. I hate music bashing.
Country on 08:41 - May 1 with 474 viewshubble

Country on 09:27 - Apr 1 by DaBurgh

Sorry Beyoncé doing country is right up there with Karen Carpenter doing death metal.
Being born north of the Mason Dixon line, country was never included within my musical sphere.
This guy is one of the few exceptions, he never got the credit he deserved, but I think he never craved it.
Short but sweet to the extreme;

Surely you're not saying JJ Cale never got the credit he deserved?

Sure, he tended to avoid the limelight, but he is undoubtedly one of the all time greats and widely revered by musicians and music fans alike.

Don't Go to Strangers is one of my faves.

Here's a nice tribute from a couple of reasonably well-know fans..

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Country on 20:59 - May 12 with 176 viewsTacticalR

Emmylou Harris's version of Sweet Old World by Lucinda Williams

Air hostess clique

Country on 22:04 - May 12 with 127 viewscolinallcars

Love Emmylou - and the blokes she's had in her many and various bands are like a Who's Who of top country musicians.
Country on 22:23 - May 12 with 120 views222gers

I like the “outlaw” side of country music - none more so than Johnny Paycheck.
Apparently not the nicest chap on the planet but songs full of boozing, villainy, trouble heartache and all the things that make up country.
Not with us anymore but one of his last songs was “ol' Pay aint checked out yet”
Another was DOA (Drunk On Arrival)
[Post edited 12 May 22:30]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024