Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread 13:39 - Apr 9 with 11382 viewsSuperhoops2808

With the football season coming to a close in a months time, some here will turn their attention to the smell of freshly mown grass and long days sat in the hot sunny weather watching the great game of cricket.

As a member of Kent Cricket Club, I got to enjoy my first match of the season against Somerset at Canterbury over the last few days. Unfortunately, as is always the way starting the season this early, the first day was lost to rain. In fact nearly all the games were affected by rain, some without a ball even being bowled.

But I did manage to get to see 2 centurions at Canterbury yesterday and a very enjoyable day of cricket (even if I did get sun burned head - Yes I know should have taken a cap).

Did anyone else get to see cricket over the last few days? I know we have several Middlesex supporters who no doubt enjoyed the 'runfest' at Lords (over 1300 runs I believe)
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 07:33 - Jun 5 with 1893 viewsBlackAndGoldRanger

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 07:20 - Jun 5 by GaryBannister86

Not enjoying Matthew Mott saying that we were favourites to chase down 109 in 10 overs against Scotland. Uneven bounce, we were playing poorly, world cup chasing pressure - an even game at best even with our batting line-up.

A strange thing to be bullish about, obviously don't want to come out and say we were struggling but I think it was a tad disrespectful, a bit delusional, to say we were clear favourites. I think his back is against the wall with this job and he knows it.

Was an ordinary bowling performance again, apart from one over by Adil we lacked class and guile. As much as Jordan is a phenomenal fielder he really does go round the park more often than not.

I've always said with Jordan he has 1 good game in 5. Can be amazing in the death overs but can serve up some buffet bowling otherwise.
I do think we would have chased it but agree that the coach didn't need to go on about it, suppose it's about getting confidence in the players.
Scotland did very well and could be a threat for qualification now. England need to win all 3 games to guarantee it. Thought the cut off time was ridiculous. They should have left it until natural light was due to go (as it was deemed a day game)
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 07:39 - Jun 5 with 1869 viewsGaryBannister86

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 07:33 - Jun 5 by BlackAndGoldRanger

I've always said with Jordan he has 1 good game in 5. Can be amazing in the death overs but can serve up some buffet bowling otherwise.
I do think we would have chased it but agree that the coach didn't need to go on about it, suppose it's about getting confidence in the players.
Scotland did very well and could be a threat for qualification now. England need to win all 3 games to guarantee it. Thought the cut off time was ridiculous. They should have left it until natural light was due to go (as it was deemed a day game)

Scotland are a serious threat now. If we presume the not unlikely scenario that Australia beat both us and Scotland, it is seemingly a NRR battle with them. So I hope our brains trust, who appear frazzled to me, work out that we need not just to beat Namibia and Oman but in a way that gets our NRR unassailable. Not sure if that means it is best to bat or bowl first but we need to ignore the conditions and work that out as a major priority.

Or just beat Oz but we look out of form I fear.
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 09:26 - Jun 5 with 1773 viewsTheChef

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 07:39 - Jun 5 by GaryBannister86

Scotland are a serious threat now. If we presume the not unlikely scenario that Australia beat both us and Scotland, it is seemingly a NRR battle with them. So I hope our brains trust, who appear frazzled to me, work out that we need not just to beat Namibia and Oman but in a way that gets our NRR unassailable. Not sure if that means it is best to bat or bowl first but we need to ignore the conditions and work that out as a major priority.

Or just beat Oz but we look out of form I fear.

Really?

We look great - decent batting, some great pace bowlers, tricky slower bowlers. We should be up there amongst the favourites. Need to put it all together out in the middle of course.

Mott's post match comments yesterday were odd though. A la David Lloyd "we flippin' murdered them".

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 09:45 - Jun 5 with 1749 viewsGaryBannister86

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 09:26 - Jun 5 by TheChef

Really?

We look great - decent batting, some great pace bowlers, tricky slower bowlers. We should be up there amongst the favourites. Need to put it all together out in the middle of course.

Mott's post match comments yesterday were odd though. A la David Lloyd "we flippin' murdered them".

I agree on paper with your sentiments, but watching yesterday it all seemed a bit off, as it has done for a while. Hopefully just first game nerves, rust, but we hardly look full of confidence.
[Post edited 5 Jun 9:55]
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 13:54 - Jun 5 with 1635 viewsthame_hoops

I do think we'd have chased the target easily yesterday, all this talk that Scotland fancied it, im sorry but with 10 wickets in hand and those short boundaries, we win that in the 8th over. Im not Mott's biggest fan at all. He has to find the fine line between positive talk and sounding like Chris silverwood used too
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 02:36 - Jun 6 with 1518 viewsB_Wad

There's a big QPR England flag at the Australia - Oman match in Barbados tonight.
Someone from this crowd?
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 08:44 - Jun 7 with 1401 viewsToast_R

USA done alright ain't they?
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 17:59 - Jun 8 with 1251 viewsMalintabuk

Is today a must win game?
Login to get fewer ads

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 18:22 - Jun 8 with 1235 viewsGaryBannister86

Oh dear. Jacks bowling? Buttler and Mott are clueless at the moment, getting slaughtered
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 18:28 - Jun 8 with 1219 viewsMalintabuk

Thank the lord for Archer
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 18:59 - Jun 8 with 1199 viewsMalintabuk

It is going to take something special to win this from here. Aussie will go at it hard from 14th over on with wickets in hand... could be looking at 200 on a 170/180 wicket
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 19:43 - Jun 8 with 1151 viewsnumptydumpty

If we lose against aussies, maybe tricky to qualify...

Think we have done reasonably OK after 70 off first five overs.

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 19:57 - Jun 8 with 1138 viewsMalintabuk

Think if we go 2 down in the power play it will be all over.... scoreboard pressure and that 1st match is going to put real pressure on us
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 21:02 - Jun 8 with 1081 viewsSuperhoops2808

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 18:22 - Jun 8 by GaryBannister86

Oh dear. Jacks bowling? Buttler and Mott are clueless at the moment, getting slaughtered

I mean against the world champions and you bring a part time spinner in the 2nd over of a powerplay, was never gonna end well. I have not been impressed with Jacks so far anyway, but at least him being there means hes not playing for Slurry
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 21:49 - Jun 8 with 1047 viewsthame_hoops

Taxi for Mott, he’s drained the life out of this white ball team. I’d love it for morgs to come back and coach, or an out of the box choice would be Aaron Finch.
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 21:56 - Jun 8 with 1047 viewsJamesB1979

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 21:49 - Jun 8 by thame_hoops

Taxi for Mott, he’s drained the life out of this white ball team. I’d love it for morgs to come back and coach, or an out of the box choice would be Aaron Finch.

Team just looks like it can’t be bothered. Very little fight. Pathetic and embarrassing.
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 06:46 - Jun 9 with 937 viewsGaryBannister86

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 21:49 - Jun 8 by thame_hoops

It's shocking from Mott, totally out of his depth and Buttler just can't seem to make any good decisions.

Now back to the 90s one day scenario, sweating about net run rate and hoping the Aussies don't deliberately play slowly against Scotland to knock us out. To be honest I don't care because we will get stuffed in the final stages anyway.

Even worse, the debate seems to be that Topley (bang average at best) would be our saviour. I am sure he will be against Namibia and Oman but then watch him disappear with the rest against a good side.

How has Mott not moved this team forward? Why are past-it players like Moeen, Bairstow, Jordan still in the side? Why is it still a batting line up of entirely big hitters who seem unable to construct a chase, unless it is six after six? Why are we relying on a guy as our main bowler who has bowled about 20 overs in the last 3 years?

Mott out, Buttler removed as skipper, Eoin Morgan running the whole white ball show.
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 07:02 - Jun 9 with 926 viewsPhildo

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 06:46 - Jun 9 by GaryBannister86

It's shocking from Mott, totally out of his depth and Buttler just can't seem to make any good decisions.

Now back to the 90s one day scenario, sweating about net run rate and hoping the Aussies don't deliberately play slowly against Scotland to knock us out. To be honest I don't care because we will get stuffed in the final stages anyway.

Even worse, the debate seems to be that Topley (bang average at best) would be our saviour. I am sure he will be against Namibia and Oman but then watch him disappear with the rest against a good side.

How has Mott not moved this team forward? Why are past-it players like Moeen, Bairstow, Jordan still in the side? Why is it still a batting line up of entirely big hitters who seem unable to construct a chase, unless it is six after six? Why are we relying on a guy as our main bowler who has bowled about 20 overs in the last 3 years?

Mott out, Buttler removed as skipper, Eoin Morgan running the whole white ball show.

Morgan is so good at commentary and can probably get the next 25 years being flown around the world to do that you wonder would he want to
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 07:04 - Jun 9 with 918 viewsGaryBannister86

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 07:02 - Jun 9 by Phildo

Morgan is so good at commentary and can probably get the next 25 years being flown around the world to do that you wonder would he want to

That's true. I think Rob Key said it was a very difficult job to leave as you can have your opinions and it doesn't really matter if you are right or not. Key wanted to prove if he was (starting to look a little dodgy!).

Morgan has always been a leader though, an inspiration. I hope we at least try.
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 09:02 - Jun 9 with 838 viewsthame_hoops

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 07:02 - Jun 9 by Phildo

I was saying exactly the same to a Mate. Sounds like he’s got a lovely gig.thats why I suggested Aaron Finch.

I would relieve Butler of the wicket-keeping, bring in Jamie Smith instead of Bairstow. Dan Lawrence instead of Ali. Duckett for Livingstone.

Topley isn’t the saviour, but he is a very good left arm bowler who offers something different.
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 09:24 - Jun 9 with 816 viewsjohnhoop

It’s almost as if the England cricket team are trying to outdo the football team in the humiliation stakes.
“You thought losing to Iceland was embarrassing? Well we’ll top that by getting eliminated as reigning Champions in the World Cup by Scotland………at cricket.”
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 21:09 - Jun 9 with 672 viewsGaryBannister86

Well you've got to hand it to Scotland, slaughtering Oman and making sure their NRR becomes very decent.

I can't see how England get out of this. Aus v Scotland is last, so if Aus bat second they will know, presuming we beat Oman and Namibia, just how many balls to take in order to knock us out. Would be cold....but why not?

Won't be same scenario if they bat first as they will still want to win to top group. If I was Scotland, definitely bat first!

Only way is to go miles past Scotland run rate, but that will be very tough. Oh dear.
[Post edited 9 Jun 21:09]
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 23:16 - Jun 9 with 608 viewsthame_hoops

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 21:09 - Jun 9 by GaryBannister86

Well you've got to hand it to Scotland, slaughtering Oman and making sure their NRR becomes very decent.

I can't see how England get out of this. Aus v Scotland is last, so if Aus bat second they will know, presuming we beat Oman and Namibia, just how many balls to take in order to knock us out. Would be cold....but why not?

Won't be same scenario if they bat first as they will still want to win to top group. If I was Scotland, definitely bat first!

Only way is to go miles past Scotland run rate, but that will be very tough. Oh dear.
[Post edited 9 Jun 21:09]

According to the long range forecast, rain could affect several of the games which would eliminate England.
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 19:58 - Jun 13 with 349 viewsMalintabuk

Topley in..... need to bowl out Oman for under 150 and knock the runs off .... squeaky bum time
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 21:08 - Jun 13 with 299 viewsMalintabuk

We now need to get 51 in 5.3 overs to go above Scotland NRR
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024