Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Time to finish with the Dunne experiment? 18:07 - Apr 14 with 3486 viewsfournil

Was there yesterday and I’m afraid Marti got that one wrong 4 centre backs a la Swansea was horribly wrong. They were so mobile and tiny and there weren’t really any crosses to deal with. Desperately needed mobile full backs to close the gaps out wide and get up the pitch to pen them back.
We’ve also stopped utilising the advantages of having Dunne as an outlet at right back and it totally nullified him. Think back to the successes at Blackburn, West Brom, it was all about pushing Jimmy high and winning the knock down against smaller weaker wingers and full backs. We didn’t do that once yesterday.
Time to finish with the Dunne experiment? on 18:47 - Apr 14 with 2999 viewsnumptydumpty

Think Dunne as right back is OK for the home games.

Cannon should be better but has not excelled in any of his performances for us at all.

But think Paal will be back on the left if Cook and JCS both available at centre back.

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

Time to finish with the Dunne experiment? on 18:57 - Apr 14 with 2950 viewsngbqpr

Time to finish with the Dunne experiment? on 18:47 - Apr 14 by numptydumpty

Think Dunne as right back is OK for the home games.

Cannon should be better but has not excelled in any of his performances for us at all.

But think Paal will be back on the left if Cook and JCS both available at centre back.

Cannon was a bright spot yesterday I thought.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Time to finish with the Dunne experiment? on 19:05 - Apr 14 with 2923 viewsJamesB1979

No.
Dunne, Cook, JCS, Paal

Back to the defence that has for the most part been our best. Not the time for panic.

Frey for Dykes…..just for ours and his mental health.
Time to finish with the Dunne experiment? on 19:08 - Apr 14 with 2915 viewsfournil

Time to finish with the Dunne experiment? on 18:57 - Apr 14 by ngbqpr

Yeah - thought Cannon looked good - much more athletic.
Time to finish with the Dunne experiment? on 19:10 - Apr 14 with 2893 viewsthemodfather

we may need to score 2 goals v preston, goals are not easy for our forwards but we may have to gamble...do we roll the dice and go 3-5-2?
bergovic, dunne, cook and salter/clarke smyth, field, colback, chair and andersen and dykes willock???
Time to finish with the Dunne experiment? on 19:10 - Apr 14 with 2896 viewsngbqpr

Time to finish with the Dunne experiment? on 19:08 - Apr 14 by fournil

Yeah - thought Cannon looked good - much more athletic.

...and keen to prove a point.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Time to finish with the Dunne experiment? on 19:32 - Apr 14 with 2771 viewsGloucs_R

I said exactly the same in the match thread yesterday as the op did.

We were slow and cumbersome full stop both the back for and the two defensive midfielders.

Where as they were quick and nimble.

Edit...I didn't mean that I would drop Dunne. Only that Marti shouldn't have played 4 central defenders for that game
[Post edited 14 Apr 21:48]

Poll: Are we staying up?

Time to finish with the Dunne experiment? on 19:36 - Apr 14 with 2759 viewsdaveB

Cannon did well when he came on but would start Dunne next week
Login to get fewer ads

Time to finish with the Dunne experiment? on 20:00 - Apr 14 with 2673 viewsPaddyhoops

No
Time to finish with the Dunne experiment? on 20:22 - Apr 14 with 2609 viewsSpaceman_P

Yeah I personally don't get why Marti isn't just going with the team that played against WBA, just keep it the same, that WBA game, we played brilliantly almost as fluid as Hull were against us this weekend.
Time to finish with the Dunne experiment? on 21:30 - Apr 14 with 2405 viewsgazza1

Posters are being rather harsh on Dunne, I didn't think that he was good by a long way yesterday but it is just one game. Thought Cannon was much better when he came on and pleased for him because he has had a hard time and not played too well since he arrived.

MC will make changes for the Preston game and they will not be anyway near as good as Hull were yesterday.
Time to finish with the Dunne experiment? on 21:37 - Apr 14 with 2369 viewsnumptydumpty

Dunne is on a high still at home, am sure.

Cannon has played thirty minutes for first time in long long time

More risky to start with him.

He may get on the pitch, dependent on the state of the match though
[Post edited 14 Apr 21:37]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

Time to finish with the Dunne experiment? on 22:27 - Apr 14 with 2223 viewsQPunkR

One of the vanishingly small positives from yesterday - actually the only one apart from the Bristol penalty - was that Cannon looked good when he came on, invested again. Still think he shouldn't replace the Irish Cafu but looks like he's in a good place to act as backup

QPR - "shit but local"

Time to finish with the Dunne experiment? on 07:02 - Apr 15 with 1911 viewsessextaxiboy

Having Jimmy in the team has helped with our set piece problems at both ends of the pitch . .
Time to finish with the Dunne experiment? on 07:46 - Apr 15 with 1814 viewsstevec

Time to finish with the Dunne experiment? on 07:02 - Apr 15 by essextaxiboy

Having Jimmy in the team has helped with our set piece problems at both ends of the pitch . .

100%.

Cannon offers nothing at corners either end of the pitch and we were constantly conceding, for those with short memories.

There are very few teams like Hull, Cannon probably a better option for games like this but for the bulk of games, Dunne is far more useful at both ends of the pitch.
Time to finish with the Dunne experiment? on 07:57 - Apr 15 with 1798 viewsmart_Goblin

Yea I agree with the previous 2 posts . Dunne has become so important at set pieces at both ends of the pitch he’s almost undroppable right now.

I think he was taken off because he’d been booked Saturday but it made sense anyway as he was being given the run around. He wasnt the only one though.
Time to finish with the Dunne experiment? on 08:20 - Apr 15 with 1747 viewsQPROslo

Time to finish with the Dunne experiment? on 18:57 - Apr 14 by ngbqpr

Thought Cannon was pretty good Saturday too. Hopefully he was able to spend the time he's been out recovering from the groin (?) Injury he was supposed to have been playing with. He looked fit enough at Hull anyway.
Time to finish with the Dunne experiment? on 08:41 - Apr 15 with 1666 viewsQPROslo

I think we should continue to use Dunne at RB, or at RCB if we go with a back 3, but there maybe some opponents like Hull where Cannon is a better option at RB.
Time to finish with the Dunne experiment? on 09:06 - Apr 15 with 1599 viewsTheChef

Time to finish with the Dunne experiment? on 19:36 - Apr 14 by daveB

Cannon did well when he came on but would start Dunne next week

Yes - Preston bigger than Hull and do well with set pieces.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Time to finish with the Dunne experiment? on 09:10 - Apr 15 with 1596 viewsNorthernr

As said higher up, Dunne provides an aerial outlet for when our centre backs and substandard goalkeeper get in a pickle trying to pass the ball. That, and his impact on set pieces at both ends, mean you stick with IMO. And I like Cannon.
Time to finish with the Dunne experiment? on 09:16 - Apr 15 with 1566 viewsTheChef

Time to finish with the Dunne experiment? on 09:10 - Apr 15 by Northernr

As said higher up, Dunne provides an aerial outlet for when our centre backs and substandard goalkeeper get in a pickle trying to pass the ball. That, and his impact on set pieces at both ends, mean you stick with IMO. And I like Cannon.

Agreed.

Saturday was not the game for Dunne, up against Hull's skilful pacy weebles.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Time to finish with the Dunne experiment? on 10:09 - Apr 15 with 1474 viewsfournil

Time to finish with the Dunne experiment? on 09:10 - Apr 15 by Northernr

Agreed about the set piece impact, but we've stopped utilising him as an out ball in both the Plymouth and Hull games. If he plays then we have to have Paal on the left to give us a better balance / more attacking outlet.

On a separate note, Willock on the left with Chair as the 10 worked much better in the 2nd half. I've never understood why we haven't re-implemented this since Willock has re-emerged as a player again. Think back to the Beale September and those beautiful triangles they and Paal used to form. When they've been on the pitch they have been physically miles apart which is weird when they play so well together.
Time to finish with the Dunne experiment? on 11:09 - Apr 15 with 1355 viewsBklynRanger

I'd keep Dunne where he is for Saturday as said above.

He had a tough time against Hull but so did all the defenders - JCS looked suitably downcast in his interview which was dead right I thought (seems he has come on massively mentally and physically under the right manager).

They were all up against difficult players, so Saturday will have been a bit of a learning curve for Jimmy as far as that position goes I think.
[Post edited 15 Apr 12:40]
Time to finish with the Dunne experiment? on 13:01 - Apr 15 with 1241 viewsLazyFan

Cannon looked good as he's had a long rest, and Hull's 1-2's were right up his defensive street. High crosses Cannon struggles with, which is why Dunne has the edge for reasons already stated.

What will happen is Paal will be back in the back four now. He's rested; hopefully, he's fully fit and ready to go now. Back to the Paal of old.

Marti has shown that anyone can be dropped, so you better perform. He dropped Chair once remember.

Lucky for Dykes, Armstrong is really a winger and Frey is injured, or he would be dropped for Frey. Dykes needs to perform for us to win against PNE. We need that once in a blue moon performance from him, whereby he dominates their defence and scores a decent goal and the other is some fumbled across-the-line effort. Getting himself a mythical brace.

For sure Dykes is gone in the summer, no way Marti will keep him.
Whereas Dunne has shown he can be adaptable if the manager wants it, those players stay.

Cannon needs to adapt or he's gone too. I think he could do a DMC job, saving us from having to find a Hayden replacement in the summer.
There is no way we shall spend that sort of money on Hayden, he will be at someone like Sheff Utd next season.

zzzzzzzzzz

Time to finish with the Dunne experiment? on 11:43 - Apr 17 with 749 viewsdmm

Here's the same guy who wrote about new keeper recruitment doing the same about right backs: https://medium.com/@greg.spires/qpr-recruitment-focus-right-back-46b26ca2b562
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024