Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Loftus Road journey 08:02 - Apr 19 with 4834 viewsGaryBannister86

Just realising the only place I've not sat is the Upper Loft. A total mystery to me up there.

What's your Loftus Road journey? Mine....

80s - South Africa Road with Dad, then Ellerslie with Dad
90s - South Africa Road with Dad, then Loft seating with mates
2000s - Loft seating with mates then Loft family stand with son
2010s - Loft family stand with son
2020s - Loft standing with son

As son turns 18 on Sunday, am thinking I will soon be a flat-capped singleton doddering to games on my own with a flask of Horlicks. Where does one sit for that? Back to South Africa Road? Or is that what is in the mysteries of the Upper Loft?
Loftus Road journey on 10:59 - Apr 19 with 1155 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Loftus Road journey on 10:08 - Apr 19 by ngbqpr

haha that reminds me, our group did a couple of seasons in the Paddock when it went from seats to standing for a while - we were right by the tunnel, and christened it "Dissers corner" - partly to show we were down with the new hip hop lingo of the time; and partly cos there was a group of regulars who did nothing but moan and slate everyone (ours and theirs) all game.

But I'm sure that wasn't you CCJ!

Had a very entertaining run in with Steve Sedgeley, we managed to wind him right up.

Haha you never know mate.

We did see a sizeable increase in the people standing around us as Alan Mullerys record and performance got worse and worse as manager. It was a great place to abuse the dugout from.
One incident that still makes me laugh when I think about it was my mate shouted to Ian Rush 'Oi Rush you big nosed See you next..' He just looked at us and shook his head
Loftus Road journey on 11:04 - Apr 19 with 1124 viewsDavieQPR

There wasn't a Loft when Iv first went. Used to be a brick wall at the front and all the kids were lifted over it. Health and Safety would have a field day now with loads of kids behind the goal and almost on top of the pitch
Loftus Road journey on 11:05 - Apr 19 with 1119 viewsBlackAndGoldRanger

90s - Young but sat in various places in Ellerslie for a few games a season. Mainly R block.
Early 00s - Started going more, mainly in Ellerslie, used a friends spare ST in JU of the Loft 5-7 times a season too. One game at the front of SA Road when I was mascot, Luton FA Cup replay. Chris Kiwomya let me warm-up with the team.
04/05 - Got my first season ticket in R block, haven't moved since.
Loftus Road journey on 11:26 - Apr 19 with 1080 viewsTheChef

I've sat everywhere around LR for a QPR game, except in the School End.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Loftus Road journey on 11:30 - Apr 19 with 1067 viewsqpr_1968

60's kids pen loft end...
70's...loft terrace right at the back....
80's....SAR what is A block now....
90's with the kids, loft upper
'97 onwards next to the fence that divides the loft upper and ellerslie road...
2010/11 and 2011/12 season ticket ellerslie road x block....
2012 SAR A block to present....

but since 1968 have stood and sat in every part of the ground....including the boxes.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Loftus Road journey on 11:32 - Apr 19 with 1057 viewsEsox_Lucius

Schoolboy enclosure at both the School end and the Loft, stood in both the School end and the Loft sat in Ellerslie Rd. Stood & sat in SAR, spent many years just to the right of the RH goalpost at the front of the Loft, same spot at away games with roughly the same people as home games. Been in Row A in MU for approx the last 20 years and will probably be the final stop in the tour around the ground for me.
Also sat in the West Stand at Highbury for home games.

The grass is always greener.

Loftus Road journey on 11:35 - Apr 19 with 1049 viewsdmm

The loft kids' pen was a magic place. I used to stand with a mate just to the right of the goal. We'd always try and get in early enough to claim a coveted place leaning on the front wall for the best view.
Loftus Road journey on 11:38 - Apr 19 with 1038 viewsqpr_1968

Loftus Road journey on 11:32 - Apr 19 by Esox_Lucius

Schoolboy enclosure at both the School end and the Loft, stood in both the School end and the Loft sat in Ellerslie Rd. Stood & sat in SAR, spent many years just to the right of the RH goalpost at the front of the Loft, same spot at away games with roughly the same people as home games. Been in Row A in MU for approx the last 20 years and will probably be the final stop in the tour around the ground for me.
Also sat in the West Stand at Highbury for home games.

good shout with highbury esox....north bank for me.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Login to get fewer ads

Loftus Road journey on 11:49 - Apr 19 with 1015 viewsE17hoop

Every stand except Lower School. Done both Paddocks - and never seen us win. Upper School End once for a game in the early 80s v Notts County (we lost). Longest has been ER where I had my first ST in row A and now in the R block for some 20+ years on and off.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

Loftus Road journey on 12:21 - Apr 19 with 956 viewsToast_R

Lower Loft where ever there was space until it became a family stand, then Upper Loft in PU for a few years as a season ticket holder and now back on Lower Loft either the Family area with my son or in the standing area if he's not with me.

Did a few games in the SAR in the late 90s very early 2000's when I didn't go that often so wasn't a member for the Lower Loft. Terrible leg room .
Loftus Road journey on 12:22 - Apr 19 with 955 viewsCamberleyR

80s/early-mid 90s - West Paddock terracing
Mid 90s-circa 2000 - Upper Loft (first time with a season ticket)
2000-Mid 2005 - West Paddock seating (season ticket)
Various random games down the years in SAR and SBS

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Loftus Road journey on 12:37 - Apr 19 with 923 viewsJuzzie

Mid 80's-Mid 90' lower loft (terracing and seats). Usually to the left of the goal (as you are facing the pitch)

Mid 90's to around 2016, Ellerslie Road. Mainly blocks T and R.

Due to family commitments have only made a handful of games each season since and usually lower loft as it's the family stand and kid's for free.

Have had occasional game in the upper loft (the 0-6 v Arsenal I was stuck right in the corner, HU I think. Horrible)

Seen one game in the executive boxes. Blackburn in the 95/96 relegation season.

A few games scattered around the South Africa Road stand and a handful in the paddocks (6-0 v Chelsea was in the west paddock)

And have had a few games (most recently v Sheff Weds) in the school end lower.

The only place I've never sat in the school upper. Who knows, one day I may just give it a try just to be able to tick every box.
Loftus Road journey on 13:00 - Apr 19 with 876 viewsdsw2509

Lower Loft terrace or East Paddock in the early 80’s. Then season ticket in T block (wonderful view and great atmosphere). Since mid 2000’s have lived away so occasionally in SAR (more comfortable but less atmosphere). Occasional Upper Loft as well in the early 80’s. Never been in School End.
Loftus Road journey on 13:28 - Apr 19 with 848 viewsR_from_afar

Initially, I was always somewhere in the Ellerslie Road stand, but then I switched to the Upper Loft. Latterly, I have been in sections A to C of South Africa Road because my mate finds it easier with his limited mobility.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Loftus Road journey on 14:35 - Apr 19 with 771 viewsSheffieldHoop

I like the loft for extended half-time recreational purposes. The amount of goals I've only witnessed on the TV at the back of the loft is really quite disturbing (Altho perhaps not as disturbing as if I had seen them from my seat and without a drink)

The only stand I've never sat in for a game is the School End. Early years I was upper loft, then moved to R when I was about 9 or 10 (During 2003 promotion season), then Q at about 15, and H by the time I was 18/19. Moved away and came back a few times since and mostly still in H when I have the bandwidth to go. My order of preference is 1) Loft 2) Ellerslie 3) SAR - Probably reverse that for games I really want to watch and analyse closely, which is almost none nowadays.

Worst place I've sat more recently is probably A/B Block, dunno why people would turn up week in week out to sit there. Away fans giving it large, a bunch of complimentary ticket footballer hangers-on mixed in with you, Sombrero man (who I'm cool with but still) attracting endless abuse from away fans and just generally being a distraction, some bods who it seems are only allowed to attend 1 game every 3 years trying to earn themselves a new club ban - The view, atmosphere, the general vibe is pretty weird over there IMO.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Loftus Road journey on 14:56 - Apr 19 with 748 viewsPlanetHonneywood

First ticket with my dad was right by the tunnel in 1981 until they converted the Paddock from seats to standing.

Because of absences from London and eventually the UK, I have had STs intermittently three times in the Upper Loft, and twice in B block SAR.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Loftus Road journey on 14:59 - Apr 19 with 747 viewsBoston

Loftus Road journey on 11:04 - Apr 19 by DavieQPR

There wasn't a Loft when Iv first went. Used to be a brick wall at the front and all the kids were lifted over it. Health and Safety would have a field day now with loads of kids behind the goal and almost on top of the pitch

Kudos to you mate, you might be the most senior gent, if not at Loftus Rd, certainly on here.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Loftus Road journey on 15:21 - Apr 19 with 717 viewsPaddyhoops

Pretty much everywhere till I settled on lower loft about 16 years ago. NL . Pretty much same seat / standing.
Loftus Road journey on 15:30 - Apr 19 with 698 viewsstevec

SAR since the day it was built and opened (Chelsea 1968 I think).

Prior to that stood on the mud mound that became the SAR stand.

Have sat in all the stands for the odd game here and there but you can’t beat the view from SAR.
Loftus Road journey on 15:44 - Apr 19 with 664 viewsSharpediver

Superb thread this one. I love Loftus Road, it's in my bones, I even dream about it. In fact, I'd like to move in there if I could!

I've been in every bit of the ground - School Upper and Lower in c. 1980/1981 when it was the Home End and again (upper) in 1995 against Forest when I turned up late without a ticket for a sell out game. It was either take my chance with the Forest fans or go home so I chose the former.

The 1980 evening game against Orient I seem to remember was 0-0, Clive Thomas was the ref and I think he sent off Glen Roeder. Stan Bowles was playing for Orient.

In September 1981 (for my 13th birthday present), my old man took me and my brother into the upper School and we beat Newcastle 3-0. The stewards let us walk around on the newly installed Omniturf pitch afterwards. Incidentally, also ran onto the pitch in 1984 to celebrate the great season and to listen to Venables' speech that he was staying. Again in c. 1988 - last day of the Plastic pitch and we all got chased by police horses, and again in 1999 after we beat Palace 6-0 to stay up. No police horses that time.
(Maybe an interesting new thread is needed about times people have been on the pitch?)

The 1995 Upper School experience was very weird ( and wouldn't recommend it), being among vociferous and unfriendly Away fans in your own ground. I remember Stuart Pearce scything down Trevor Sinclair, in fact, sending him rattling into the advertising hoardings in front of us and the whole end (except me), jubilantly punching the air to the chant of 'Psycho, Psycho'...

Also went in the School Lower under it's modern, occasional Home fan guise - think it was the Rotherham game in 2015 when Stan walked around the pitch before the game.

Also, been in the boxes twice - once for a mate's stag do and another time as a box lottery winner. Bit overrated in there - you can't hear the crowd, although I did meet Stan in there the first time c. 1999 as he was doing match day hospitality.

In 45 years of going to Loftus Road, I've probably only been in the Ellerslie about 10 times max.

Otherwise:
Late 70s - old Loft by the right hand floodlight. Monkey nuts and occasional huge clouds of tobacco smoke drifting off above the heads.
1980s/90s - almost always stood on the new Lower Loft terrace - mostly near the back - you couldn't see the bottom of the goal, occasionally went in the Paddocks.
1996-2001 - Season ticket in the Upper Loft - Mu block then Pu block
2002 - 2005 - Season ticket in South Africa Road - F block
2005-2012 - occasional visits mainly Upper Loft
Season ticket in Upper Loft c. 2012 - 2015 (Glory Hunting) Ju block.
And now, mainly South Africa Road - anywhere there - I prefer the perspective from up high along the side, but still make occasional forays into the Loft - standing area and Upper.

I might do an Ellerslie Day next season - not been in there for over 10 years.

God, how I will weep at that last game if we ever have to leave.
Loftus Road journey on 16:23 - Apr 19 with 584 viewsdaveB

First games in early 80's was Paddock and Upper Loft
1984 - 1993 - Upper Loft season ticket
Rest of 90's didn't have a season ticket so did lower loft some games, Ellerslie, SA Road and Upper loft, moved around a lot
2001 - 2008 - Upper Loft P Block, my knees still haven't recovered
2008 - Now - Lower Loft
[Post edited 19 Apr 16:26]
Loftus Road journey on 16:46 - Apr 19 with 537 viewsted_hendrix

First game 1958 in the loft corner by the Ellerslie Road stand in front of the tea hut, enormous tea pot btw.
I've watched us from every part of this ground at some stage.
Yes, this Is as good as It gets.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Loftus Road journey on 17:26 - Apr 19 with 476 viewsLongsufferingR

First game was 1975 in Ellerslie (v Arsenal with my Arsenal supporting brother)

Moved to Canada for 2 years in summer 1975 so missed the best year of our past and probably our future.

Returned and used to sit in Paddocks until I got fed up with the low down view and got my first ST in SAR Upper in 1981 right on the halfway line. Got caught up in the Briatore nonsense and was forced to move further along in SAR where I've been since. Now accompanied by my 12 year old son who was most pleased to see his name on the seat.
Loftus Road journey on 18:36 - Apr 19 with 396 viewsDevonWhite

First game Luton away in 1988, aged 6
1989 - 2004: Season ticket in R block
2004-2007: Worked at the Lower Loft Ladbrokes kiosk, got paid and got to watch the games standing at the back of the Loft
2007-2012: Lived abroad, got back for around 10 home games a season, usually Upper Loft
2012-2020: Season ticket back in R block
2020-2024 Moved out of London and had kids, had to give up the ST. Lower Loft standing area for the games I get to.

Stood or sat on all four sides at one point or another.
Loftus Road journey on 19:02 - Apr 19 with 356 viewsJawadqpr

Haven’t posted on here in years and years, but love this thread so thought I’d add mine.

Started going in the 80s…we used to stand in the loft. My dad used to bring a green bucket with him so I could stand on it by the barrier and could see what was going on. If we ever forgot the bucket, he’d find a milk crate somewhere in the ground so I could stand on that. As I got older, I sometimes sat on the wall in the paddock with a friend.

We then got lucky and became friends with a couple of players so got tickets in SA Road. My dad has stayed there since and has a season ticket with my mum. I moved to the upper loft, back of PU, in 2000 with a couple of friends (when student tickets were £99!!). Then moved to NU with my best friends.

Now I’m in A block, back with my dad and with my 6 year old son and my two nephews. .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024