Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
General Election Thread 17:46 - May 22 with 88245 viewsloftboy

This will be the first election that I have no idea who to vote for, will never vote Tory again after the lies during covid where my dad lost his life, don’t trust starmer, would never vote for a bunch of racists like reform , anyone give me a clue?

This post has been edited by an administrator

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

General Election Thread on 09:07 - Jun 4 with 2420 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I deliberately ignored it at the time, but someone further up the thread labelled people critical of Starmer ‘cranks’.

You’ll have to include Blair supporting, Cambridge PPE attending, and classmate of David Cameron journalist Michael Crick.

General Election Thread on 09:55 - Jun 4 with 2352 viewscolinallcars

Labour will ban the import of foie gras. That'll cause a stir in Shepherds Bush which of course is now in the new constituency of Hammersmith & Chiswick.
[Post edited 4 Jun 10:00]
General Election Thread on 10:05 - Jun 4 with 2300 viewsdmm

General Election Thread on 09:55 - Jun 4 by colinallcars

Labour will ban the import of foie gras. That'll cause a stir in Shepherds Bush which of course is now in the new constituency of Hammersmith & Chiswick.
[Post edited 4 Jun 10:00]

Shay Boo, puleeeeease!
General Election Thread on 11:36 - Jun 4 with 2198 viewsSonofpugwash

It'll be Starmergeddon I tel 'ee.
And I am unanimous in this.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

General Election Thread on 12:36 - Jun 4 with 2120 viewsslmrstid

I think it'll be a lot tighter than all the polls are saying right now.

As an outsider looking in, it does seem to me that everytime Labour get a sniff of being in power they immediately get spooked about it and start doing every self sabotage thing of turning on each other they can possibly think of to bugger themselves up.

It does feel to me sometimes that the left want to be the Dean Smith Justice League winners of being righteous if only they were in power, whilst secretly being quite glad they aren't, whilst the Tories are the annoying Preston North End types who'll do what it takes to win by any means necessary, including every sh*thousing trick they can possibly think of that winds everyone up, but gets results time after time.

Probably a pretty bad analogy as football/politics goes but hopefully gets my point across!
General Election Thread on 12:52 - Jun 4 with 2075 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

General Election Thread on 12:36 - Jun 4 by slmrstid

As an outsider looking in, it does seem to me that everytime Labour get a sniff of being in power they immediately get spooked about it and start doing every self sabotage thing of turning on each other they can possibly think of to bugger themselves up.

It does feel to me sometimes that the left want to be the Dean Smith Justice League winners of being righteous if only they were in power, whilst secretly being quite glad they aren't, whilst the Tories are the annoying Preston North End types who'll do what it takes to win by any means necessary, including every sh*thousing trick they can possibly think of that winds everyone up, but gets results time after time.

Probably a pretty bad analogy as football/politics goes but hopefully gets my point across!

‘The Left’ is a subjective term defined by our own Overton window, as is ‘the Right’.

It’s not really a useful description of a section of the electorate in the same way ‘car owner’, or ‘under 18’ is.
General Election Thread on 13:49 - Jun 4 with 1957 viewsBucksRanger

Objectively, the left know what an Overton window is, the right have to look it up.
General Election Thread on 18:19 - Jun 4 with 1761 viewscolinallcars

I hope if someone throws a drink over me, it's a pint of bitter.
Login to get fewer ads

General Election Thread on 19:33 - Jun 4 with 1650 viewsFDC

General Election Thread on 12:36 - Jun 4 by slmrstid

The power v righteousness dichotomy is a useful framing for the labour right who like to present themselves as pragmatic and grown up, as opposed the left who are niave and idealistic.

This is nonsense. The reality is that the labour right are not pragmatic but desire power for it's own sake (and for the access it provides their future careers on company boards), but as we're about to find out, getting into government with neither a policy platform or a mandate to actually do anything, having not presented a vision for anything (as a consequence of not actually having a vision for anything) means that you have very little room for maneuver and are not able to fix anything.

I suspect we're about to witness something quite unusual: an enormous landslide followed by an enormously unpopular term in office. Which probably says a lot about the state of British politics.
General Election Thread on 19:48 - Jun 4 with 1630 viewsGus_iom

General Election Thread on 19:33 - Jun 4 by FDC

The power v righteousness dichotomy is a useful framing for the labour right who like to present themselves as pragmatic and grown up, as opposed the left who are niave and idealistic.

This is nonsense. The reality is that the labour right are not pragmatic but desire power for it's own sake (and for the access it provides their future careers on company boards), but as we're about to find out, getting into government with neither a policy platform or a mandate to actually do anything, having not presented a vision for anything (as a consequence of not actually having a vision for anything) means that you have very little room for maneuver and are not able to fix anything.

I suspect we're about to witness something quite unusual: an enormous landslide followed by an enormously unpopular term in office. Which probably says a lot about the state of British politics.

It may well be a landslide in terms of the number of seats they win, but probably not in terms of the percentage of the electorate who vote for them. So they will have a mandate to govern and won't, at the same time. Its not going to be easy.
General Election Thread on 20:02 - Jun 4 with 1600 viewsdmm

I'll be interested in the turn out in this election. It's very much been on the low side since the turn of the century and I wouldn't be surprised if this one is too.

There's an increasing number of people who have lost all faith in the political process and they're quite likely not to vote. And who can blame them? That and the inevitability of a Labour landslide is certain to have an effect.
General Election Thread on 20:07 - Jun 4 with 1582 viewswestlondonisRs1882

I have read most of the comments and have been pleasantly surprised by the good nature of the responses. I did expect it to be a $&it show.
We are all entitled to our own analysis and conclusions and our single vote won’t make a great deal of difference.
One observation I have made is that the old Left V Right debate had been superseded by the Establishment v Anti Establishment. So you appear to see evidence of many people being disillusioned and seemingly having no one to vote for.
I think election night may be quite interesting.
General Election Thread on 20:29 - Jun 4 with 1520 viewsderbyhoop

General Election Thread on 19:48 - Jun 4 by Gus_iom

It may well be a landslide in terms of the number of seats they win, but probably not in terms of the percentage of the electorate who vote for them. So they will have a mandate to govern and won't, at the same time. Its not going to be easy.

Based on all the polling over the last 2 years, Labour's share of the vote looks set to be 40-47%, which would be huge. Especially compared to Tories running at 18-25%.
There is so much work to do for any new Govt and v little money to do it with. Labour's caution is understandable. Perhaps the Leader debates may show us a vision for the future but you wouldn't want to bet on it.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

General Election Thread on 21:15 - Jun 4 with 1459 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

General Election Thread on 20:29 - Jun 4 by derbyhoop

Based on all the polling over the last 2 years, Labour's share of the vote looks set to be 40-47%, which would be huge. Especially compared to Tories running at 18-25%.
There is so much work to do for any new Govt and v little money to do it with. Labour's caution is understandable. Perhaps the Leader debates may show us a vision for the future but you wouldn't want to bet on it.

47% is still a coalition in every other European country except us and Belarus.

Getting 47% of the vote but 80% of the seats isn’t representative.
General Election Thread on 22:40 - Jun 4 with 1349 viewscolinallcars

Just struggled through the TV debate. I know it's about policies rather than personalities, but Starmer is wooden.
Say what you like about Blair but he had charisma and Brown had gravitas.
General Election Thread on 01:00 - Jun 5 with 1211 viewsjohncharles

General Election Thread on 18:19 - Jun 4 by colinallcars

I hope if someone throws a drink over me, it's a pint of bitter.

You mean, like me, you smell of beer anyway. Whoever threw milk on Farage knew what they were doing. Sour, rancid milk is going to stink to high heaven.

Strong and stable my arse.

General Election Thread on 01:26 - Jun 5 with 1198 viewsbob566

General Election Thread on 22:40 - Jun 4 by colinallcars

Just struggled through the TV debate. I know it's about policies rather than personalities, but Starmer is wooden.

I'm not uk. I'm irish. But doesn't this guy go by lord starmer. Is that not the anti of everything Labour uphold. Representing the working classes. Sorry if I'm out of touch.
General Election Thread on 02:33 - Jun 5 with 1157 viewsSydneyRs

General Election Thread on 01:26 - Jun 5 by bob566

I'm not uk. I'm irish. But doesn't this guy go by lord starmer. Is that not the anti of everything Labour uphold. Representing the working classes. Sorry if I'm out of touch.

You are right, but even as far back as Blair Labour could not get elected without becoming tory lite, thanks mainly to the largely right wing UK media. They had to abandon the Kinnock, Foot type leader and get posh boy Blair in with his nice suits to win in 97. And that was after nearly 20 years of the tories being in govt.

Sad state of affairs but until a fair and unbiased media exists, which will properly never happen, nothing will change. I reckon as a minimum these newspapers and media websites should have to prominently display the fact they are supportive of certain political parties, a bit like the warnings on cigarette packets that disclose something which should be obvious to everyone but clearly isn't.
General Election Thread on 02:35 - Jun 5 with 1155 viewsSydneyRs

General Election Thread on 22:40 - Jun 4 by colinallcars

Luckily for Starmer, Sunak is no better when it comes to charisma. Charisma shouldn't matter when electing a PM, but sadly does.

I think people forget how good Blair was when he started out and he certainly had plenty of charisma. Power does strange things to people though. It gets lost in the boring "war criminal" narrative that has emerged around him. A war that was backed by the opposition at the time plus conservative governments in the US and Australia, yet is used as a stick to beat Labour/Blair with. If anyone can show me the tories vehemently protesting against it at the time, I'd love to see it.
[Post edited 5 Jun 2:39]
General Election Thread on 02:41 - Jun 5 with 1150 viewsSydneyRs

General Election Thread on 19:48 - Jun 4 by Gus_iom

Tbf, with FPTP this has always been the case. Parties winning by a "landslide" with around 40% of the vote.
General Election Thread on 06:47 - Jun 5 with 1025 viewsHunterhoop

General Election Thread on 01:00 - Jun 5 by johncharles

You mean, like me, you smell of beer anyway. Whoever threw milk on Farage knew what they were doing. Sour, rancid milk is going to stink to high heaven.

Apparently it was the girlfriend of Reform UK’s press officer…so they definitely knew what they were doing.
General Election Thread on 07:24 - Jun 5 with 934 viewsWegerles_Stairs

General Election Thread on 06:47 - Jun 5 by Hunterhoop

Apparently it was the girlfriend of Reform UK’s press officer…so they definitely knew what they were doing.

No, it wasn't.

https://victb.co.uk/

NSFW
General Election Thread on 07:30 - Jun 5 with 927 viewsPaddyhoops

Didn’t bother watching even though I love my politics.
Got the main bullet points on the radio this morning.
Nothing new from either of them .
Sunak trying do defend the indefensible.
Starmer trying to get the red wallers back into the fold.
Don’t expect much to change regardless of the result.
General Election Thread on 08:03 - Jun 5 with 863 viewsdmm

A general election debate is just a reality TV show. The idea we could understand complex political issues through 45 second soundbites is simply ludicrous. No one should watch these shows to make any kind of informed decision on who to vote for.
General Election Thread on 08:24 - Jun 5 with 843 viewsdaveB

I feel like I've gone back in time. Farage is ranting about immigration and having drinks thrown on him, is it 2016 again
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024