Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Friday Tuneage - the gig that got away 10:01 - Jul 5 with 1955 viewsBluce_Ree

Today's topic. What band do you wish you had seen at their peak, and what would be the song you wanted to hear them play?

I'm torn between two...

The B 52s. Before all that Love Shack shit. I think they would have been amazing. Dirty Back Road is the song.

Talking Heads. I mean they were just so unf**kwittable musically. For me it'd be this song at this gig.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Friday Tuneage - the gig that got away on 10:05 - Jul 5 with 1368 viewsTonto

Queen.

A few friends bunked off school (with their parents permission) to see them at Knebworth. My parents wouldn't allow me.

Then Freddie got sick.
[Post edited 5 Jul 10:10]

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Friday Tuneage - the gig that got away on 10:08 - Jul 5 with 1364 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Great idea for a thread. I'm reading Levon Helm's autobiography at the moment. Man, this band could play!

edit: the video works, but only on Youtube.

[Post edited 5 Jul 10:09]

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Friday Tuneage - the gig that got away on 10:35 - Jul 5 with 1297 viewsqprxtc

Hmmm. Blimey, let me think. Tough one.

Perhaps this mob. I’ve heard good things about them.

Friday Tuneage - the gig that got away on 10:35 - Jul 5 with 1296 viewswombat

Friday Tuneage - the gig that got away on 10:08 - Jul 5 by BrianMcCarthy

Great idea for a thread. I'm reading Levon Helm's autobiography at the moment. Man, this band could play!

edit: the video works, but only on Youtube.

[Post edited 5 Jul 10:09]

Was lucky enough to See Queen at wembley stadium , still one of the best gigs ive been able to see .

Linkin Park for me massive fan but never lucky enough to get tkts for one of the few uk gigs they did.

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Friday Tuneage - the gig that got away on 10:38 - Jul 5 with 1291 viewsdmm

The Who. What was I thinking by never going to one of their gigs?

However, I did see Dr Feelgood in their pomp several times.
Friday Tuneage - the gig that got away (n/t) on 11:35 - Jul 5 with 1226 viewsPaddyhoops

Friday Tuneage - the gig that got away on 10:35 - Jul 5 by wombat

Was lucky enough to See Queen at wembley stadium , still one of the best gigs ive been able to see .

Linkin Park for me massive fan but never lucky enough to get tkts for one of the few uk gigs they did.

Friday Tuneage - the gig that got away (n/t) on 11:37 - Jul 5 with 1217 viewsPaddyhoops

Friday Tuneage - the gig that got away (n/t) on 11:35 - Jul 5 by Paddyhoops

Apologies . Was going to say I’ve never seen Stone Roses live but have seen Ian Brown in numerous occasions. He’s always been decent.
Friday Tuneage - the gig that got away (n/t) on 11:51 - Jul 5 with 1175 viewsBluce_Ree

Friday Tuneage - the gig that got away (n/t) on 11:37 - Jul 5 by Paddyhoops

Apologies . Was going to say I’ve never seen Stone Roses live but have seen Ian Brown in numerous occasions. He’s always been decent.

Really?

Not having a go or anything but every time I've heard him live he's as bad as singing can possibly get.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Login to get fewer ads

Friday Tuneage - the gig that got away on 12:14 - Jul 5 with 1114 viewsGhost_on_the_Westway

Ah, great idea.

Literally, “The one that got away” would be The Gun Club, back in the mid-80’s. Had tickets but couldnt get out of bed due to some ailment or other, I can’t recall what now. Bless ya, Jeffrey-Lee.

Bands at their peak that I should have seen? Pixies, probably.
I did see The Breeders, though. A-OOOO-OO!
[Post edited 5 Jul 12:15]
Friday Tuneage - the gig that got away on 12:18 - Jul 5 with 1085 viewsSilverfoxqpr

The Jam at Guildford Civic Hall in 1982, I was twelve and my mum was having none of it. Same a year later for Thin Lizzy at Reading festival. She took me to see Queen at Wembley Arena a year later in 1984 though.
Friday Tuneage - the gig that got away on 12:26 - Jul 5 with 1023 viewsBlackCrowe

There are two that got away. Aswad at Meanwhile Gardens Notting Hill carnival 1984 (Live And Direct is the album) - i was too tired from just got back from a few weeks away. And Tom Petty in Hyde Park a couple of weeks before he died - i had tickets and sold them, can't remember why.

But of those i was just about old enough to go to, i would love to have seen Steely Dan, Fleetwood Mac and Pistols in their prime. Seen them all since though.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Friday Tuneage - the gig that got away on 13:25 - Jul 5 with 926 viewsMrSheen

Joy Division at the Moonlight Club in West Hampstead in early 1980. £2 was a lot of money in those days.
The Cramps at Hammersmith Palais in summer 1981. History A level the next morning.
Friday Tuneage - the gig that got away on 13:34 - Jul 5 with 891 viewsSouthAfricanRanger

Depeche Mode - Never let me down. Before Dave went all grunge and stuff. So like prior to 1992.

DonnieR

Friday Tuneage - the gig that got away on 15:18 - Jul 5 with 807 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Friday Tuneage - the gig that got away on 13:34 - Jul 5 by SouthAfricanRanger

Depeche Mode - Never let me down. Before Dave went all grunge and stuff. So like prior to 1992.

One of the best ever concerts I went to by chance really was Depeche Mode outside Chicago around 1993 or 1994 just because I got a free ticket and tagged alone. Never missed one since still excellent .
I missed going to see Queen at Slane Castle in the mid to late 80s and that still frustrates me .
I did see them a few years ago with Adam Lambert and while I enjoyed it its nothing without Freddie .
I missed Paul McCarthy and Billy Joel in Wrigley Field due to Covid so that is something I might not see again .
Friday Tuneage - the gig that got away on 16:38 - Jul 5 with 756 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I got into them an they split up I'd love to have seen them Live, don't care about the song.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Friday Tuneage - the gig that got away on 16:50 - Jul 5 with 739 viewsqpr_1968

i'm a bit greedy because i would have loved to have been at woodstock back in 1969.
but thats another thread...

so these....

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Friday Tuneage - the gig that got away on 17:12 - Jul 5 with 711 viewsCateLeBonR

I don’t even like Billy Bragg. I don’t dislike him either. I don’t really know much about him or his music but it’s always bothered me that I’ve never seen him play live. I could probably go and see him play tomorrow but I probably won’t.

Friday Tuneage - the gig that got away on 17:25 - Jul 5 with 685 viewsEsox_Lucius

Back in 1977-8 ish I used to go to Brunel Uni on a Friday night with my best mate as they nearly always had decent bands on. Couldn't get out of work fast enough one evening as The Pink Fairies were playing and I don't think we ever missed any of their gigs in and around London. Got to Brunel and there was an over sticker; Pinks not playing but will be replaced by SPOTS. Never heard of them so went to a phone box and phoned a mate to look in the Melody Maker to see if there was any info on them. Zilch! so rather than waste our £1.50 we went to the John Bull in Chiswick instead. I am still sick to this day that I later learnt that SPOTS was an acronym for Sex Pistols On This Stage which they used to get around venue bans and I never did get to see them.
The opposite was the night we turned up, and paid to see a band we'd never heard of called Genesis. The band came on stage, started playing some dramatic prog rock and then a right tvvat in a long white robe with a Sunflower on his head came and started singing a bout the return of a giant hogweed. We saw about 10 mins of this and went somewhere else, possibly the Tithe Farm House as they always had great pub bands on.

The grass is always greener.

Friday Tuneage - the gig that got away on 17:26 - Jul 5 with 685 viewshantssi

Rolling Stones for me, early 80’s Wembley Empire Pool (were they still in their prime then?!), turned it down, “ who wants to see a load of middle age men?”!
Regret it now, don’t care about the song.
Turned down Queen too!
Friday Tuneage - the gig that got away on 17:30 - Jul 5 with 673 viewsEsox_Lucius

Friday Tuneage - the gig that got away on 17:26 - Jul 5 by hantssi

Rolling Stones for me, early 80’s Wembley Empire Pool (were they still in their prime then?!), turned it down, “ who wants to see a load of middle age men?”!
Regret it now, don’t care about the song.
Turned down Queen too!

My first ever live gig was The Stones in Hyde Park the week Brian Jones died. 1969?

The grass is always greener.

Friday Tuneage - the gig that got away on 18:41 - Jul 5 with 624 viewsGhost_on_the_Westway

Friday Tuneage - the gig that got away on 17:25 - Jul 5 by Esox_Lucius

Back in 1977-8 ish I used to go to Brunel Uni on a Friday night with my best mate as they nearly always had decent bands on. Couldn't get out of work fast enough one evening as The Pink Fairies were playing and I don't think we ever missed any of their gigs in and around London. Got to Brunel and there was an over sticker; Pinks not playing but will be replaced by SPOTS. Never heard of them so went to a phone box and phoned a mate to look in the Melody Maker to see if there was any info on them. Zilch! so rather than waste our £1.50 we went to the John Bull in Chiswick instead. I am still sick to this day that I later learnt that SPOTS was an acronym for Sex Pistols On This Stage which they used to get around venue bans and I never did get to see them.
The opposite was the night we turned up, and paid to see a band we'd never heard of called Genesis. The band came on stage, started playing some dramatic prog rock and then a right tvvat in a long white robe with a Sunflower on his head came and started singing a bout the return of a giant hogweed. We saw about 10 mins of this and went somewhere else, possibly the Tithe Farm House as they always had great pub bands on.

Missed out on seeing the Pistols in 77? I think we have a “winner”.
Friday Tuneage - the gig that got away on 19:19 - Jul 5 with 591 viewsBlackCrowe

Friday Tuneage - the gig that got away on 17:30 - Jul 5 by Esox_Lucius

My first ever live gig was The Stones in Hyde Park the week Brian Jones died. 1969?

Saw them last month in Boston and Orlando. So very good still. Quite extraordinary.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Friday Tuneage - the gig that got away on 19:24 - Jul 5 with 582 viewsHAYESBOY

I had tickets to see them at Hammersmith in 91. Had to give them up as was ill. They did an hour apparently.

The Time - Cool - Written by Prince.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Friday Tuneage - the gig that got away on 20:42 - Jul 5 with 522 viewsRebalhoop

Would have to be Lynyrd Skynyrd doing Freebird.close 2nd Talking Heads,although have seen David Byrne solo a few times.
Did have tickets to see Steely Dan in 96ish, but got stuck in the Dominican Republic,because of a Hurricane
Friday Tuneage - the gig that got away on 20:51 - Jul 5 with 512 viewsChrisNW6

Another vote for Talking Heads and my second would be never seeing Prince live (should've tried harder but never managed it)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024