Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who will Hasselbaink be supporting on Wednesday? 11:00 - Jul 7 with 3167 viewsknocker

England assistant coach and former Holland International. Have to say got no idea what he's doing working with England team.
Who will Hasselbaink be supporting on Wednesday? on 11:04 - Jul 7 with 2333 viewsWatford_Ranger

Dumb question. Who did Jack Charlton support when his Ireland played England?

I don’t know how good a coach the bloke is but Southgate is unlikely to have him around if he’s a mug. Used to take a good penalty if I recall.
Who will Hasselbaink be supporting on Wednesday? on 13:52 - Jul 7 with 2126 viewsEsox_Lucius

Who will Hasselbaink be supporting on Wednesday? on 11:04 - Jul 7 by Watford_Ranger

I don’t know how good a coach the bloke is but Southgate is unlikely to have him around if he’s a mug. Used to take a good penalty if I recall.

He is the one coaching them to take them,
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c72vz40yd43o

The grass is always greener.

Who will Hasselbaink be supporting on Wednesday? on 14:19 - Jul 7 with 2058 viewsAntti_Heinola

Neville's point about having technicians is a good one.
In 98 Hoddle had taken off all his penalty takers. We were left with Shearer (fine), Merson (fine), Ince, Owen, Batty.
That's 2 players who have no business taking a penalty. Last night we had the five who took them, plus Ebs who is an excellent pen taker; plus Luke Shaw and Declan Rice, who would both be pretty reliable. Shows how far technically we have come in a couple of decades imo.

Bare bones.

Who will Hasselbaink be supporting on Wednesday? on 14:39 - Jul 7 with 2009 viewsstevec

Who will Hasselbaink be supporting on Wednesday? on 14:19 - Jul 7 by Antti_Heinola

In 98 Hoddle had taken off all his penalty takers. We were left with Shearer (fine), Merson (fine), Ince, Owen, Batty.
That's 2 players who have no business taking a penalty. Last night we had the five who took them, plus Ebs who is an excellent pen taker; plus Luke Shaw and Declan Rice, who would both be pretty reliable. Shows how far technically we have come in a couple of decades imo.

We’ve reached the point where the best chance of us winning the tournament is holding out for the entire 120 minutes and taking it to penalties.

Actually, perhaps that’s been Southgates plan all along.
Who will Hasselbaink be supporting on Wednesday? on 14:45 - Jul 7 with 2005 viewsPaddyhoops

The best manager we’ve had it years according to himself. FFS.
Who will Hasselbaink be supporting on Wednesday? on 14:55 - Jul 7 with 1980 viewsPaddyhoops

Who will Hasselbaink be supporting on Wednesday? on 14:45 - Jul 7 by Paddyhoops

Sorry . Not the Question. He can’t lose really which he never did much with us.England of course.
Who will Hasselbaink be supporting on Wednesday? on 14:58 - Jul 7 with 1972 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Who will Hasselbaink be supporting on Wednesday? on 14:39 - Jul 7 by stevec

We’ve reached the point where the best chance of us winning the tournament is holding out for the entire 120 minutes and taking it to penalties.

Actually, perhaps that’s been Southgates plan all along.

On a related subject the commentators on Fox USA are almost adamant a few teams are playing for the penalty shootout instead of going all out for the winner in extra time.
They might be on to something with the information available on shooters today ( dive left for Akanji on Pickfords water bottle ) and the fact penalties are treated with the same preperation as corners ,freekicks etc .
Extra time is fast becoming a bore fest with teams afraid to go for it in case of being counterpunched so maybe its time to go straight to penalties or go back to the golden goal and give 2 extra subs to encourage an exciting finish .
Who will Hasselbaink be supporting on Wednesday? on 15:08 - Jul 7 with 1948 viewskensalriser

Who will Hasselbaink be supporting on Wednesday? on 14:58 - Jul 7 by CLAREMAN1995

On a related subject the commentators on Fox USA are almost adamant a few teams are playing for the penalty shootout instead of going all out for the winner in extra time.
They might be on to something with the information available on shooters today ( dive left for Akanji on Pickfords water bottle ) and the fact penalties are treated with the same preperation as corners ,freekicks etc .
Extra time is fast becoming a bore fest with teams afraid to go for it in case of being counterpunched so maybe its time to go straight to penalties or go back to the golden goal and give 2 extra subs to encourage an exciting finish .

Probably not as Fox is reliably wrong on just about everything.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Login to get fewer ads

Who will Hasselbaink be supporting on Wednesday? on 15:19 - Jul 7 with 1916 viewsEsox_Lucius

A bit like having Jim Smith as your manager when you are playing Oxford Utd. in a cup final?

Who will Hasselbaink be supporting on Wednesday? on 15:23 - Jul 7 with 1898 viewsdmm

Who will Hasselbaink be supporting on Wednesday? on 15:19 - Jul 7 by Esox_Lucius

A bit like having Jim Smith as your manager when you are playing Oxford Utd. in a cup final?

That never happened.
Who will Hasselbaink be supporting on Wednesday? on 15:26 - Jul 7 with 1886 viewsEsox_Lucius

Who will Hasselbaink be supporting on Wednesday? on 15:23 - Jul 7 by dmm

That never happened.

It was purely a hypothetical situation.

Who will Hasselbaink be supporting on Wednesday? on 16:45 - Jul 7 with 1786 viewskensalriser

Who did Kevin Gallen support when he scored against QPR for Huddersfield?

Actually, didn't he then miss a penalty?

Right that's it. Let's get this fifth columnist Hasselbaink out of the England set up asap. The five pens v Switzerland were all part of the plan to lose on pens against the Dutch, clearly. Fiendish.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Who will Hasselbaink be supporting on Wednesday? on 22:40 - Jul 7 with 1507 viewsstainrods_elbow

Who will Hasselbaink be supporting on Wednesday? on 11:04 - Jul 7 by Watford_Ranger

Not necessarily - it'd be odd, surely, if he didn't feel some kind of split loyalties. Personally, I find it weird when people coach/manage international sides when they have different nationalities, but that's the way of things these days. As Jimmy would so eloquently put it, it is what it is.

Now I'm thinking crossly of Jim Smith more or less saying half of him wanted Oxford to win that Cup Final that never happened. Well, half of him at least got his wish, the bald c*nt!
[Post edited 7 Jul 22:42]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Who will Hasselbaink be supporting on Wednesday? on 22:50 - Jul 7 with 1503 viewsStJude82

When I think of him, I think of that Newcastle game. I'd rather do neither.
Who will Hasselbaink be supporting on Wednesday? on 11:30 - Jul 8 with 1302 viewsdaveB

Who will Hasselbaink be supporting on Wednesday? on 14:58 - Jul 7 by CLAREMAN1995

Extra time has always been like this, fear of losing in extra time takes over, I don't think anyone is planning to go to penalties but it comes to a point where you think don't lose it now and penalties become inevitable.

Germany on Friday fell into the trap being ready for penalties and ended up losing it
Who will Hasselbaink be supporting on Wednesday? on 13:11 - Jul 8 with 1194 viewsTheChef

Re the OP I assume him and Southgate are good mates from their time at Boro, hence Hasselbaink getting the job.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Who will Hasselbaink be supporting on Wednesday? on 13:18 - Jul 8 with 1173 viewshantssi

Who will Hasselbaink be supporting on Wednesday? on 15:23 - Jul 7 by dmm

That never happened.

What never happened?!
Who will Hasselbaink be supporting on Wednesday? on 13:32 - Jul 8 with 1126 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

And his assistant's surname is Holland. What the hell is going on here? What's next? Ivan Toney taking his penalty in clogs? Pancakes in the canteen? Raymond van Barneveld as the nutritionist? This is a disgrace. Southgate out mid-tournament. How dare he?
Who will Hasselbaink be supporting on Wednesday? on 13:44 - Jul 8 with 1077 viewsHAYESBOY

Smells like a trout farm in here

Who will Hasselbaink be supporting on Wednesday? on 13:48 - Jul 8 with 1059 viewssdm1508

I might be completely wrong here but I think I read somewhere it was some sort of FA initiative to have more black coaches in elite positions and the national team. I think he might have replaced Chris Powell when he left. If this is the case it's a risky game. Having a coach in the set up to meet some sort of quota. Rather than his coaching ability etc. Now Southgate might think he is a good coach and adds value to the set up. If however a role is being held for someone from an ethnic group then does that not promote the very thing they are trying to eradicate? The racial bias in the game.

Saying that though, might have dreamt the article and if so forget everything I said. I just firmly believe that the best person for the job, gets the job. No matter skin colour, gender and all that
Who will Hasselbaink be supporting on Wednesday? on 14:48 - Jul 8 with 996 viewsSheffieldHoop

Who will Hasselbaink be supporting on Wednesday? on 13:48 - Jul 8 by sdm1508

I might be completely wrong here but I think I read somewhere it was some sort of FA initiative to have more black coaches in elite positions and the national team. I think he might have replaced Chris Powell when he left. If this is the case it's a risky game. Having a coach in the set up to meet some sort of quota. Rather than his coaching ability etc. Now Southgate might think he is a good coach and adds value to the set up. If however a role is being held for someone from an ethnic group then does that not promote the very thing they are trying to eradicate? The racial bias in the game.

Saying that though, might have dreamt the article and if so forget everything I said. I just firmly believe that the best person for the job, gets the job. No matter skin colour, gender and all that

Dunno why you've been downvoted for this, you're absolutely right, Link to the England official site which confirms it below.

https://www.englandfootball.com/articles/2023/Mar/21/jimmy-floyd-hasselbaink-joi

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Who will Hasselbaink be supporting on Wednesday? on 14:50 - Jul 8 with 1005 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

Who will Hasselbaink be supporting on Wednesday? on 13:48 - Jul 8 by sdm1508

Yeah and as England coaches have been white men pretty much exclusively for the vast majority of my lifetime they must be the right people for the job. There definitely hasn't been any racial bias to date in any way.
Who will Hasselbaink be supporting on Wednesday? on 15:09 - Jul 8 with 951 viewsrobith

Who will Hasselbaink be supporting on Wednesday? on 14:19 - Jul 7 by Antti_Heinola

Was the chillest shootout of all time. Looking at the list and Ebs isn't in the 5, that is strong
Who will Hasselbaink be supporting on Wednesday? on 16:05 - Jul 8 with 836 viewsderbyhoop

Who will Hasselbaink be supporting on Wednesday? on 14:45 - Jul 7 by Paddyhoops

The best manager England have had in years, statistically.
3 SFs and 1 QF during his tenure.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Who will Hasselbaink be supporting on Wednesday? on 16:20 - Jul 8 with 794 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Who will Hasselbaink be supporting on Wednesday? on 14:48 - Jul 8 by SheffieldHoop

Dunno why you've been downvoted for this, you're absolutely right, Link to the England official site which confirms it below.

https://www.englandfootball.com/articles/2023/Mar/21/jimmy-floyd-hasselbaink-joi

Kept Wally Downes out apparently.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024