Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Standing up at football 12:45 - Aug 17 with 7044 viewsWatford_Ranger

I was in the front row of the upper tier yesterday and naturally stood up for the penalty but was asked to sit down by a guy who didn't have any obvious need to be seated.

Am I in the wrong? Surely even in the sanitised world of boutique Premier football it's normal to stand when your team is on the attack or even just for a corner?

Thoughts?

Edit- i should add that I've always sat at or near the back until this season.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2014 12:46]
Standing up at football on 13:08 - Aug 17 with 4438 viewskensalriser

Why did you need to stand up?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Standing up at football on 13:08 - Aug 17 with 4431 viewsHollowayRanger

if you go to watch a film and someone stands in front of you because something exciting is happening in the film you going be happy?

you said it sit at the back that's what I do and I stand all match and no one says a word (in the paddock back row)

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Standing up at football on 13:11 - Aug 17 with 4421 viewsWatford_Ranger

Standing up at football on 13:08 - Aug 17 by kensalriser

Why did you need to stand up?

I didn't need to. I wanted to but as the guy behind me wanted me not to I did the polite thing.

Just asking for anyone else that sits in a similar position how much they find themselves standing due to the flow of the game and how much, if any, grief they get for it.

The comparisons to the cinema are bit pointless IMO.
Standing up at football on 13:36 - Aug 17 with 4335 viewsthemodfather

i always try and get to the back rows, so hopefully can stand with like minded people and not block views...
doesn't always work, qpr fans can be odd.."thats my seat" when the away end is nigh empty is one example?
Standing up at football on 13:43 - Aug 17 with 4312 viewsstevec

Jeez, if they don't stand up for a penalty when do they stand up?
Standing up at football on 13:59 - Aug 17 with 4271 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

During the Leeds game following the Faurlin ruling two old boys behind me (proper JCLs) were complaining about the noise and say down the whole game while everyone else was going mental.
Standing up at football on 14:12 - Aug 17 with 4227 viewsTheBlob

I suppose you like to stand up when you're having a particularly exciting shit as well.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Standing up at football on 14:20 - Aug 17 with 4206 viewsRblock_James

Bring back terracing ffs

I hate it when everyone sits down at away games.

No other clubs do it.

Completely kills the atmosphere.

Login to get fewer ads

Standing up at football on 14:37 - Aug 17 with 4152 viewsganjR

Standing up at football on 14:20 - Aug 17 by Rblock_James

Bring back terracing ffs

No other clubs do it.

+ a million.
Standing up at football on 14:56 - Aug 17 with 4115 viewsRamseyR

Being only 5' 7'' sitting is a godsend, as I do get to actually see the game. The problem with standing is that there's always a big fcuker in front of you. Of course I stand without thinking about it when an attack builds or for a penalty but if the bloke behind me moaned, I'd respect that.

Half of this standing malarkey is good old c*ck measuring contest
...I'm more old school than you
....I'm more hardcore than you
...I've been going so long I remember standing
...They won't tell me to sit down

That said I'm all for safe standing areas, as all seaters have killed the atmosophere but not as much as the pricing which has gentrified the game.
Standing up at football on 15:11 - Aug 17 with 4081 viewsTopCat34

We must one of the few clubs in the football league that consistently insists on being seated at every available moment. At the Wigan play-off game I had an old bloke behind me abusing and tugging at my jacket when he could clearly see the people in front of me were standing up as well. Where did this sense of entitlement come from?

It's actually getting worse at LR due to the introduction of the family stand in the Loft. Wouldn't be surprised if soon people will be remaining seated when we score.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2014 15:12]
Standing up at football on 15:26 - Aug 17 with 4052 viewskensalriser

The only time I stand is when I have to because people in front are standing.

If everyone stands it means that kids and people who have difficulty standing can't see, so for me it's just a common courtesy to sit down at all times whenever possible. That doesn't include leaping around for a goal, of course.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Standing up at football on 15:35 - Aug 17 with 4024 viewsdanehoop

You know that thing you sit on, its called a seat, that's for sitting on, a seat. Can I be a bit clearer. You sit on the seat. Does that help.?

More seriously I think its fine to go absolutely ape once we score and jump around dementedly. Before that though, best to seat down so everyone else can see.

Never knowingly understood

Standing up at football on 15:48 - Aug 17 with 3995 viewsSnipper

Standing up at football on 15:35 - Aug 17 by danehoop

You know that thing you sit on, its called a seat, that's for sitting on, a seat. Can I be a bit clearer. You sit on the seat. Does that help.?

More seriously I think its fine to go absolutely ape once we score and jump around dementedly. Before that though, best to seat down so everyone else can see.

Killjoy :-).
Standing up at football on 16:50 - Aug 17 with 3911 viewsWatford_Ranger

Good to see a range of opinions I guess.

Of course I understand some want and some need to sit but I just thought this was a moment when everyone from 5 to 95 would be on their feet. Obviously I was wrong.

As for away games I couldn't agree more. Fair enough if people at the front want to sit but we really are one of very few teams where people who would like to stand and make noise sometimes can't or struggle to do so. I think rather than it being a case of sit at the front stand at the back it would help the atmosphere if say the left or right side was seated and the other stood. Difficult to organise in reality but if it became a given that the left side would be stood up it would help IMO.
Standing up at football on 16:55 - Aug 17 with 3895 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Club-News/2007/Feb/Fans-urged-to-stay
Standing up at football on 17:13 - Aug 17 with 3856 viewsQPR1882

Standing up at football on 15:35 - Aug 17 by danehoop

I take it you were not at Wembley when Hoilett won that tackle and crossed the ball, because there was 40,000 QPR fans on their feet long before ooohhh Bobby hit the back of the net.

I stand up like most people when we either get in an attacking position down the wings when you know the ball is coming in the middle and you hope/know something is going to happen and yes I know what a seat is.

I don't see the purpose of standing for a pen but on the other hand I understand why some do, and if my view gets blocked I just stand up as do the people behind me, simples.

I really don't understand what the fuss is about.
Standing up at football on 17:23 - Aug 17 with 3828 viewsqueensparker

Welcome to the "EPL" fans. I always spring to my feet if we look like scoring, it's pure instinct and I'm not going to stop now

Got me into trouble a few times at away grounds mind you
Standing up at football on 17:59 - Aug 17 with 3744 viewsNorthernr

Everybody in F stands up for the penalties. I thought it was a given.
Standing up at football on 18:15 - Aug 17 with 3711 viewssexton

Unless you stay sitting because you just get that feeling Charlie's going to miss.
Standing up at football on 18:34 - Aug 17 with 3674 viewsqpr1976

Standing up at football on 13:43 - Aug 17 by stevec

Jeez, if they don't stand up for a penalty when do they stand up?

When we SCORE a penalty !

No need, we've missed the last 5 or 6 at this level
Standing up at football on 18:35 - Aug 17 with 3670 viewsNorthernr

We're inflatable hand clappers away from becoming fully fledged Fulham Mk II
Standing up at football on 18:48 - Aug 17 with 3619 viewsNW5Hoop

Standing up at football on 15:11 - Aug 17 by TopCat34

We must one of the few clubs in the football league that consistently insists on being seated at every available moment. At the Wigan play-off game I had an old bloke behind me abusing and tugging at my jacket when he could clearly see the people in front of me were standing up as well. Where did this sense of entitlement come from?

It's actually getting worse at LR due to the introduction of the family stand in the Loft. Wouldn't be surprised if soon people will be remaining seated when we score.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2014 15:12]

You had an old bloke behind you. Maybe he couldn't stand for 90 minutes. And now, because of people who want to stand through games in all seater stadiums, he can't get away from people who stand up.

I'm completely in favour of safe standing areas, because it would stop all the arguing about whether it's right to stand in seated grounds. Those who want to stand could do so without getting in the way of those who want to sit.

I always preferred going on the terraces, but these days I go with my son, who's not tall enough to see if people are standing in front of him. When he was very little he could just stand on the seat, but now he's at the awkward height where that would block the views of people behind him, but if he has to stand he won't see a thing. Which means we probably won't bother with many away games this season, which is a shame. But the important thing is not that we can get as many kids as possible into the habit of watching QPR week in week out, it's that people who think it's their right to do what they want can do so.

But in answer to the original post … yeah, we were standing for the penalty. And we stand when it looks like something's going to happen. It's the standing throughout that's the problem.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2014 18:50]
Standing up at football on 18:48 - Aug 17 with 3618 viewsloftboy

Standing up at football on 18:35 - Aug 17 by Northernr

We're inflatable hand clappers away from becoming fully fledged Fulham Mk II

We've had them before As well

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Standing up at football on 19:26 - Aug 17 with 3552 viewsstowmarketrange

Standing up at football on 14:20 - Aug 17 by Rblock_James

Bring back terracing ffs

No other clubs do it.

Definitely agree with that,but why don't we organise it better amongst ourselves and let everyone who wants to sit down use the first dozen rows,and the rest for people who want to stand.
How hard can it be to do it if it becomes the norm?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024