Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The case for the Defence 2018/19 season 17:25 - Apr 9 with 3176 viewsbosh67

With Perch leaving and both Ned and Robbo possibly on the move - and with Hall not even guaranteed to start next season, Lynch already booked to go on his Christmas break and Furlong also being sniffed around by a few other clubs is having a defence really necessary next season?

If Smithies leaves, Ingram moves on and Lumley possibly stays at Blackpool could we not just play Bidwell as fly goalkeeper? If he stays?

Do we really need defenders? Could we not just play 5 in midfield and 5 up front. Kevin Keegan once said at Newcastle, "We attack. If a team scores a goal against us we score two against them" or something like that. If Bidwell leaves as well then that would give Cousins a chance to break into a midfield 6... or play in goal. Or we could play Jude in goal? He already does that at half time.

We always say if we had defended better, or why 3 at the back, or does the back 4 keep it's line? If all our defenders are going then let's just not have any. Lets just attack. See what happens.

I am 110% sure this could work.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

The case for the Defence 2018/19 season on 18:20 - Apr 9 with 3084 viewsQPR_John

The way some are suggesting we have to accept any offer that might come along you may not be too far from the truth
The case for the Defence 2018/19 season on 21:25 - Apr 9 with 2968 viewsTacticalR

Let's throw away the crutch of defence and just attack for 90 minutes.

Air hostess clique

The case for the Defence 2018/19 season on 21:53 - Apr 9 with 2919 viewssmegma

Questions Questions.
The case for the Defence 2018/19 season on 22:56 - Apr 9 with 2839 viewsNorthernr

Trying to replace Onuoha in particular on our budget, but Robinson as well, with no U23s anywhere close is a big problem. We cannot, cannot, cannot be going into next season relying on Lynch and Baptiste.
The case for the Defence 2018/19 season on 07:21 - Apr 10 with 2710 viewsdistortR

The case for the Defence 2018/19 season on 22:56 - Apr 9 by Northernr

Trying to replace Onuoha in particular on our budget, but Robinson as well, with no U23s anywhere close is a big problem. We cannot, cannot, cannot be going into next season relying on Lynch and Baptiste.

yes we can. Afterall, we started this season with smith and washington up top.
The case for the Defence 2018/19 season on 07:50 - Apr 10 with 2683 viewsNorthernr

The case for the Defence 2018/19 season on 07:21 - Apr 10 by distortR

yes we can. Afterall, we started this season with smith and washington up top.

What's wrong with Smith?
The case for the Defence 2018/19 season on 07:58 - Apr 10 with 2667 viewsGroveR

There's a lad up at Dundee who looks a bit tasty if we can find £1m down the back of the sofa.
The case for the Defence 2018/19 season on 08:09 - Apr 10 with 2654 viewsqprd

Does anyone how far are the U23 centrebacks from even being squad players?

Obviously Ollie is going to get dog's abuse if he tinkers now (even though the season is over), but why not chuck on a Giles Phillips next match and see what happens?
Login to get fewer ads

The case for the Defence 2018/19 season on 09:56 - Apr 10 with 2570 viewsWrightUp5hit___

The case for the Defence 2018/19 season on 08:09 - Apr 10 by qprd

Does anyone how far are the U23 centrebacks from even being squad players?

Obviously Ollie is going to get dog's abuse if he tinkers now (even though the season is over), but why not chuck on a Giles Phillips next match and see what happens?

Any recollections of the abuse that Darnell took after those games against Alexis Sanchez and Yannick Bolassie.

He has come through that now but at the time a number of "supporters" were ready to have him out of the club.
The case for the Defence 2018/19 season on 10:09 - Apr 10 with 2548 viewsPinnerPaul

I think a lot depends on if Hall is fit and/or he/IH sees him playing in a back four or not.

Guess if NO and JH both go we're relying on Penrice unearthing someone cheap and good!
The case for the Defence 2018/19 season on 10:25 - Apr 10 with 2529 viewsDorse

Assuming that all three of Perch (definitely), Robinson (extremely likely) and Onuoha (sadly) will be leaving and that relying on Hall to play 40+ games is foolish, we need to bring in some bodies.

It's not even a criticism of Lynch and Baptiste: it's maths. Without adding to the First Team squad we cannot play 352 and we are only ever one injury away from being unable to play 4 at the back.

I haven't watched a lot of U23 football (over to you Smegma and others) but I would have expected to see the likes of Finney, Paul or Phillips making at least the bench over the last 18 months or so. It leads me to believe that they either aren't ready, good enough or in the current mid / long term plans. We have Gary the 'tache and Mel Johnson on the look out and both of them can pick a good 'un: it's pretty unlikely they haven't got someone in mind already.

I haven't got a clue who would make for a good signing in that position. I think we can all think of a striker or two but CBs are a different matter. I'd settle for the bastard love child of Dan Shittu and Paolo Maldini: a class defender always thinking three steps ahead who would tackle a concrete effigy of King Kong, if it looked onside.

The pre-season (this year, to be the hardest EVER) will be vital to bed in a new defence. My hope is that Hall will be available more often. He is class.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

The case for the Defence 2018/19 season on 10:38 - Apr 10 with 2523 viewsGloucs_R

If we had £1m to spend on a new player....why wouldnt we just give this to Robinson as a bonus?

Having read lots about the U23 teams.....only Nico could challenge for the 1st team and will no doubt be back up to Bidwell next season. Chris Paul will probably be 4th/5th choice. CD is where we need to focus on. Wasnt we chasing some Burton defender who is out of contract in the summer?

Poll: Are we staying up?

The case for the Defence 2018/19 season on 10:56 - Apr 10 with 2506 viewsqprd

The case for the Defence 2018/19 season on 09:56 - Apr 10 by WrightUp5hit___

Any recollections of the abuse that Darnell took after those games against Alexis Sanchez and Yannick Bolassie.

He has come through that now but at the time a number of "supporters" were ready to have him out of the club.

That's true, and its a good point, as well. If Phillips isn't ready and is going to destroy his confidence, then its not worth it

The Furlong situation is different to me for 2 reasons: 1. Phillips wont have to go up against the likes of Bolasie or Sanchez and 2. Furlong was playing in the midst of a relegation scrap, whereas these are dead rubber matches

in recent years, we have played some guys who weren't ready at the end of the season. I remember Cole Kpekawa, who was at leas 1/2 stone overweight and couldn't judge the flight of a goal kick, getting some minutes at the end of 15/16 despite being unready
The case for the Defence 2018/19 season on 11:00 - Apr 10 with 2499 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Poor old Darnell had SWP as his protection on that flank that day at Palace as well I seem to recall. What chance did he have!
The case for the Defence 2018/19 season on 11:36 - Apr 10 with 2453 viewsjonno

Absolutely not.
The case for the Defence 2018/19 season on 11:40 - Apr 10 with 2442 viewsSydneyRs

The case for the Defence 2018/19 season on 10:38 - Apr 10 by Gloucs_R

If we had £1m to spend on a new player....why wouldnt we just give this to Robinson as a bonus?

Having read lots about the U23 teams.....only Nico could challenge for the 1st team and will no doubt be back up to Bidwell next season. Chris Paul will probably be 4th/5th choice. CD is where we need to focus on. Wasnt we chasing some Burton defender who is out of contract in the summer?

Mainly because he might never be fit to play.
The case for the Defence 2018/19 season on 11:52 - Apr 10 with 2417 viewskensalriser

Has someone transmitted these issues to the club?

I mean, I would hate for us to get to the first game of next season only for the management team to turn around and say what the fck, we're stuck with two very mediocre central defenders and no back-up. Why didn't anyone say before?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

The case for the Defence 2018/19 season on 12:08 - Apr 10 with 2405 viewsstevec

The case for the Defence 2018/19 season on 11:52 - Apr 10 by kensalriser

Has someone transmitted these issues to the club?

I mean, I would hate for us to get to the first game of next season only for the management team to turn around and say what the fck, we're stuck with two very mediocre central defenders and no back-up. Why didn't anyone say before?

The case for the Attack 2017/18 season.... they seemed to miss that one.
The case for the Defence 2018/19 season on 13:31 - Apr 10 with 2345 viewsbosh67

The case for the Defence 2018/19 season on 12:08 - Apr 10 by stevec

The case for the Attack 2017/18 season.... they seemed to miss that one.

Not sure what you're on about mate? No one has put the ball wide of the posts or over the bar more often than us this season! ... Oh yeah, it's meant to go between the posts and under the bar. Scratch that first sentence.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

The case for the Defence 2018/19 season on 14:13 - Apr 10 with 2317 viewsGloucs_R

The case for the Defence 2018/19 season on 11:40 - Apr 10 by SydneyRs

Mainly because he might never be fit to play.

Win bonus, game bonus, etc....

Poll: Are we staying up?

The case for the Defence 2018/19 season on 15:30 - Apr 10 with 2272 viewsblacky200

With regards to OP with no defence we would need two 40 goals a season strikers
I'm sure we could pick a couple up and remain in line with FFP

Yes I did get that the post was in jest.
We'll still have enough players to try a 2-4-4 formation
[Post edited 10 Apr 2018 15:33]
The case for the Defence 2018/19 season on 07:28 - Apr 11 with 2106 viewsdistortR

The case for the Defence 2018/19 season on 07:50 - Apr 10 by Northernr

What's wrong with Smith?

Presumably you don't want a starting back line of Lynch and Baptiste because they are limited players - can you honestly tell me that Smith isn't limited? Granted he has his strengths and is a decent plan B, but the bloke can't run and his conversion rate isn't great. Understanding our financial position doesn't debar me from thinking that, in an ideal world, he wouldn't be starting for us.
The case for the Defence 2018/19 season on 14:22 - Apr 11 with 2006 viewstimcocking

I lived in Andorra for a spell back when Barcelona had Rivaldo, Figo, Luis Enrique, Guardiola et al., and although they weren't as successful as now, they pretty much played 2 at the back and 8 attackers. It was awesome.
The case for the Defence 2018/19 season on 14:33 - Apr 11 with 1983 viewsspencer

We seem to be addressing our attacking options quite well.
Our defence needs to be examined.
To be fair, last night, their two goals both came down Darnell's side and IMO he was at fault. However, he looked stretched on one. He is till learning and getting better all the time. Bidwell I have always liked, despite the crap he used to get at the ground. Losing Ned and Robinson will be a problem I agree, a central defence of Baptiste and Lynch will not do.
If we can all see it, then the management should be able to see it and therefore, should already be looking into this area as we speak.

I'm sure there are good young players out there at sensible wages...we just have to find them. I would like to say Grant Hall, but not sure where his head is at presently ?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024