Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So near and yet so far - History 08:42 - Apr 25 with 1433 viewsNorthernr

48 years ago yesterday, QPR 2 Leeds 0, champions for a week at least...

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/62396
So near and yet so far - History on 09:02 - Apr 25 with 1361 viewsNorthantsHoop

Was there a 12 year old me with my late Dad sitting in the Ellerslie Road stand. Great win on the Big Match and Norman Hunter split his shorts, fantastic stuff. Hopefully a 2-0 win for the Rangers tomorrow night.
So near and yet so far - History on 09:09 - Apr 25 with 1334 viewsRangersDave

Thanks North...... now it's official........i feel feckin old!

Sat in the SAR stand, we had season tickets (well, when i say 'we' i meant dad and grandad) and always had our seats on the half way line back row of the stand.

This was because the seat backs curved and as a youngling, i could stand in the gap created by adjoining curves, without my dad paying for a ticket for me. 14 years i did that. lol

However, i remember the match well.

We had done so well, only to have the glory 'stolen' from us by, i seem to remember, a scouse team 2 weeks after the season finished, after they were 1 down at half time. Boy, the rumours that went round after the 3-1 loss, and i'm not sure they have ever been totally dismissed.

Our greatest season, and i was there.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

So near and yet so far - History on 10:01 - Apr 25 with 1251 viewsterryb

Once again, The Wolves - Liverpool match was not played on that date due to Wales playing a European Champions Cup quarter final & NOT Liverpool's European games. They lost 2-0 in the first leg away to Yugoslavia.

It should also be stated (again) that Leeds asked for a postponement of our game for the same reason, but were refused. I understood that Leeds had one less player in the squad than was needed to postpone

* Sorry about getting heavy handed with this, but it is a misrepresentation that has always annoyed me. Even more so as I grow older! It's also possible that Liverpool would have been allowed to postpone their game due to their European Final if Wales hadn't been playing.

Apart from that, it was a brilliant day & the only time I've stepped onto the Loftus Road pitch.
[Post edited 25 Apr 10:20]
So near and yet so far - History on 10:29 - Apr 25 with 1189 viewsdaveB

This remains one of my favourite nights under the lights at Loftus Road, the pass from Wilkins for Bradley Allens goal is a work of art

So near and yet so far - History on 10:56 - Apr 25 with 1095 viewsCamberleyR

Connections:
Others >>> Tyler Roberts, QPR’s treatment room (loan) 2022-2023

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

So near and yet so far - History on 11:18 - Apr 25 with 1051 viewsGaryBannister86

So near and yet so far - History on 10:29 - Apr 25 by daveB

This remains one of my favourite nights under the lights at Loftus Road, the pass from Wilkins for Bradley Allens goal is a work of art

God, Ray was so good. So good.
So near and yet so far - History on 19:02 - Apr 25 with 724 viewshantssi

On the Loft, just to the left of the goal as you look from the pitch about 1/3 of the way back!
Incredible atmosphere and onto the pitch at the end!
So near and yet so far - History on 19:20 - Apr 25 with 667 viewsqpr_1968

So near and yet so far - History on 19:02 - Apr 25 by hantssi

On the Loft, just to the left of the goal as you look from the pitch about 1/3 of the way back!
Incredible atmosphere and onto the pitch at the end!

same here, about 2/3 of the way back under the loft, next to that big opening/exit.

final whistle was fantastic, all on the pitch.......memories that live with you forever.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Login to get fewer ads

So near and yet so far - History on 21:51 - Apr 25 with 552 viewsBostonR

Was at the Leeds game in the SAR stand. Incredible occasion and atmosphere. You’re right about the attendance. I recall when I arrived at the ground there were literally thousands outside 15mins before kick-off. It was heaving. In some film you can see fans sitting in the stairways in the lower SAR stand.
I’ve always thought it was close to 38,000. I based it on the Leicester FA Cup game which was 34,000 and the Leeds attendance of 35,000. For sure, it was much more than both those games and with thousands outside.
So near and yet so far - History on 07:47 - Apr 26 with 402 viewsMalintabuk

Was in the Loft that day.. remember my brother took his newly wed wife to that game.... her first. We got in and remember walking up the steps to the Loft at about 2.15 to be met with a wall of people.
The only game I think I stood at a 45 degree angle to the pitch.... never saw either ball enter the net.... it was difficult at the best of times to see the ball at the loft.... but that day just impossible.... rambert the Stan run... and the ball being hit and then the pandemonium...... great day, great times to be a R
[Post edited 26 Apr 7:48]
So near and yet so far - History on 09:09 - Apr 26 with 346 viewsDannyPaddox

46 years ago. Last game of the season. Needed a point to stay up. How time’s change 😆

0-0. Job done!
So near and yet so far - History on 09:38 - Apr 26 with 311 viewsnumptydumpty

Also last home game against Leeds was the Taraabt / Warnock promotion season where we were unsure of the title or promotion until just before kick off due to potential points deduction.

And then scored in first minute.

Went onto lose but champions we were.

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

So near and yet so far - History on 20:12 - Apr 26 with 139 viewsDamo1962

So near and yet so far - History on 21:51 - Apr 25 by BostonR

Was at the Leeds game in the SAR stand. Incredible occasion and atmosphere. You’re right about the attendance. I recall when I arrived at the ground there were literally thousands outside 15mins before kick-off. It was heaving. In some film you can see fans sitting in the stairways in the lower SAR stand.
I’ve always thought it was close to 38,000. I based it on the Leicester FA Cup game which was 34,000 and the Leeds attendance of 35,000. For sure, it was much more than both those games and with thousands outside.

I was in the Ellerslie end against Arsenal...and that was as just as crammed as against Leeds
So near and yet so far - History on 21:19 - Apr 26 with 101 viewsCamberleyR

So near and yet so far - History on 20:12 - Apr 26 by Damo1962

I was in the Ellerslie end against Arsenal...and that was as just as crammed as against Leeds

My first Rs game.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024