Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First Day of Spring 11:01 - Feb 1 with 2330 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Winter is over, people.

In Ireland, Winter is counted as November, December and January, and the first day of Spring is 1st February. St. Brigid's Day, if you're into all that.

Is it the same in Britain?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

First Day of Spring on 11:06 - Feb 1 with 1976 viewsCamberleyR

No, the meteorological seasons over here are:
Winter - Dec, Jan, Feb
Spring - Mar, Apr, May
Summer - Jun, Jul, Aug
Autumn - Sep, Oct, Nov

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

First Day of Spring on 11:11 - Feb 1 with 1957 viewsMaggsinho

First Day of Spring on 11:06 - Feb 1 by CamberleyR

No, the meteorological seasons over here are:
Winter - Dec, Jan, Feb
Spring - Mar, Apr, May
Summer - Jun, Jul, Aug
Autumn - Sep, Oct, Nov

Or astronomical seasons which start on the 20th of the month.
First Day of Spring on 11:22 - Feb 1 with 1920 viewsstowmarketrange

Does it coincide with the rainy season in Ireland Brian?
Or does that run from January to December?
First Day of Spring on 11:28 - Feb 1 with 1902 viewsMrSheen

It's going to be 11C overnight in Kerry according to my phone, which is fairly normal for August. The grass knows the difference between winter and summer there, but much it's harder for humans.
First Day of Spring on 11:56 - Feb 1 with 1818 viewsBrianMcCarthy

First Day of Spring on 11:22 - Feb 1 by stowmarketrange

It seems to!

From February to August/September is generally much drier, though.

"Grand stretch in the evening now..."

First Day of Spring on 12:09 - Feb 1 with 1779 viewsCiderwithRsie

Actually the Irish system makes more sense to me - I mean, who thinks midsummer is 21st June? It's August, when school's out and it's pigging hot. The worst of winter isn't just before Christmas, it's January.

Except that now is not the end of winter, it's the middle of it. Spring will really hit on May Day (though frost in May can still be a b*gger) or Easter at the earliest.

I've read that on the Isle of Man 2nd Feb/St Bride's Day was when you checked the store of food you harvested last year and hoped that half of it was still left, because if it wasn't you were going to be screwed before the spring vegetables and first early spuds came through.
First Day of Spring on 12:15 - Feb 1 with 1760 viewscyprusmel

If it's any interest Brian, a high of 17c where I live and mostly sunny.
First Day of Spring on 12:22 - Feb 1 with 1719 viewsted_hendrix

No daffodils can be seen in my garden so it aint Spring.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Login to get fewer ads

First Day of Spring on 12:29 - Feb 1 with 1716 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I'd like to say here in Fleet Street it is much colder now than it was this morning.

Deffo not spring.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

First Day of Spring on 12:42 - Feb 1 with 1695 viewsBrianMcCarthy

First Day of Spring on 12:22 - Feb 1 by ted_hendrix

No daffodils can be seen in my garden so it aint Spring.

They're out here. Earlier every year, it seems.

First Day of Spring on 12:54 - Feb 1 with 1664 viewskensalriser

No, I think it's a bit longer than that.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

First Day of Spring on 12:58 - Feb 1 with 1645 viewsA40Bosh

First Day of Spring on 11:56 - Feb 1 by BrianMcCarthy

It seems to!

From February to August/September is generally much drier, though.

"Grand stretch in the evening now..."

For all the moaning I have done on here over the years about having to holiday in rural Co Cork at the end of July/August and watching it piss down until 7pm every day and THEN the sun comes out until 9pm - what I wouldn't give now just to be able to get in to the car with the girls, head down to Pembroke and head over to see the in-law and outlaws in Cork and sit in the local village pub sinking a few creamy pints, or getting windswept whilst walking along the wild coastal beaches. It can rain all it likes, I don't care any more. I'd even happily "go shopping" in Merchants Quay just to get out of the fecking house after nearly 12months of lockdown

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

First Day of Spring on 13:11 - Feb 1 with 1610 viewsBrianMcCarthy

First Day of Spring on 12:58 - Feb 1 by A40Bosh

For all the moaning I have done on here over the years about having to holiday in rural Co Cork at the end of July/August and watching it piss down until 7pm every day and THEN the sun comes out until 9pm - what I wouldn't give now just to be able to get in to the car with the girls, head down to Pembroke and head over to see the in-law and outlaws in Cork and sit in the local village pub sinking a few creamy pints, or getting windswept whilst walking along the wild coastal beaches. It can rain all it likes, I don't care any more. I'd even happily "go shopping" in Merchants Quay just to get out of the fecking house after nearly 12months of lockdown

"shopping in Merchant's Quay"

Jesus, I wouldn't wish that on a Kerryman!

I'm limited to 5km at the moment, and I can't wait to get some hiking done now that the weather will be picking up and hopefully we come out of lockdown.

First Day of Spring on 13:13 - Feb 1 with 1607 viewsDannyPaddox

Tenuous but any excuse to play this ...

First Day of Spring on 13:39 - Feb 1 with 1533 viewsEastR

First Day of Spring on 12:58 - Feb 1 by A40Bosh

Ah, the little known Munster Monsoon

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

First Day of Spring on 14:00 - Feb 1 with 1487 viewsKonk

Fuc k what the system wants you to believe, and all the shi t they tell you about the seasons in school - if you live in England, then this is the truth:

If you're wearing gloves, thinking about wearing gloves or know where your gloves are, it's Winter - Dec, Jan, Feb
If you're stressing about football, and desperately hoping that a team in your division, that you don't give a shi t about, can equalise against a team you don't normally care about, it's Spring - Mar, Apr, May
If you're wearing a coat in a beer garden or on the beach, it's Summer - Jun, Jul, Aug
If your iphone is predicting rain for every day that week, it's Autumn - Sep, Oct, Nov

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

First Day of Spring on 16:59 - Feb 1 with 1369 viewsHantsR

Picture in The Times today of a woman at Glastonbury celebrating the start of spring. Sounds like a load of Imbolcs to me.
First Day of Spring on 17:43 - Feb 1 with 1298 viewsstowmarketrange

First Day of Spring on 14:00 - Feb 1 by Konk

Fuc k what the system wants you to believe, and all the shi t they tell you about the seasons in school - if you live in England, then this is the truth:

If you're wearing gloves, thinking about wearing gloves or know where your gloves are, it's Winter - Dec, Jan, Feb
If you're stressing about football, and desperately hoping that a team in your division, that you don't give a shi t about, can equalise against a team you don't normally care about, it's Spring - Mar, Apr, May
If you're wearing a coat in a beer garden or on the beach, it's Summer - Jun, Jul, Aug
If your iphone is predicting rain for every day that week, it's Autumn - Sep, Oct, Nov

Sorry konk but Chelshite aren’t in our division but I always want the team they’re playing to score one more than them.And I don’t care if its spring,summer,autumn or winter.In fact whatever the season.
First Day of Spring on 17:45 - Feb 1 with 1293 viewsPaddyhoops

My wife who's English has been coming back to Ireland with me for the last 20 odd years. We do on average a couple of trips a year .
We usually head over with the kids August Bank Holiday weekend for a week or so.
I swear we've been lucky if we've had ten decent days weather in those twenty years.
I don't know if we're unlucky or not but we find the raincoat comes in handy.
What I'd give for weekend end there now.
Thirteen months and counting!!
First Day of Spring on 17:46 - Feb 1 with 1291 viewsMyke

The only day of the year Brian that my very rushy farm is potentially of any use or value!
First Day of Spring on 17:52 - Feb 1 with 1272 viewsstowmarketrange

First Day of Spring on 17:45 - Feb 1 by Paddyhoops

My wife who's English has been coming back to Ireland with me for the last 20 odd years. We do on average a couple of trips a year .
We usually head over with the kids August Bank Holiday weekend for a week or so.
I swear we've been lucky if we've had ten decent days weather in those twenty years.
I don't know if we're unlucky or not but we find the raincoat comes in handy.
What I'd give for weekend end there now.
Thirteen months and counting!!

And a few pints of Guinness too?Sounds like heaven to me right now.
First Day of Spring on 18:10 - Feb 1 with 1245 viewsPaddyhoops

First Day of Spring on 17:52 - Feb 1 by stowmarketrange

And a few pints of Guinness too?Sounds like heaven to me right now.

The pint of black is always good . The weather will never change that.
The hangovers . Not so good!!
First Day of Spring on 18:16 - Feb 1 with 1237 viewsstowmarketrange

First Day of Spring on 18:10 - Feb 1 by Paddyhoops

The pint of black is always good . The weather will never change that.
The hangovers . Not so good!!

I went to a mate’s wedding in Co Mayo about 20 years ago,and drank Guinness all day.and didn’t have any problems the next day.
I have 2 pints in my local and a banging headache appears.Come to think of it,that might be my Mrs telling me that I’ve had enough.
First Day of Spring on 19:09 - Feb 1 with 1188 viewsGoddardandallen

Rainy season is every day in Ireland... I live in Donegal
First Day of Spring on 19:59 - Feb 1 with 1131 viewsPaddyhoops

First Day of Spring on 18:16 - Feb 1 by stowmarketrange

I went to a mate’s wedding in Co Mayo about 20 years ago,and drank Guinness all day.and didn’t have any problems the next day.
I have 2 pints in my local and a banging headache appears.Come to think of it,that might be my Mrs telling me that I’ve had enough.

Hangovers lasted an hour thirty years ago.
They last three days now!'.!🤢
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024