Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis 18:47 - Oct 15 with 6907 viewsNorthernr

If you've come out of recent QPR games thinking "what the fck was that?" then help is at hand in the form of two deep dive analytical pieces for you this international break.

First, it's Dan Lambert returning to us for a second season looking at how an amateurish press and highly risky man v man approach behind it means you can consistently get in on our goal with just one or two correctly executed passes.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/61070/qpr%E2%80%99
QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 19:08 - Oct 15 with 4711 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Oh God....

Maybe tomorrow!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 20:38 - Oct 15 with 4471 viewsterryb

Thank you Dan.

We all saw how easy it was for Blackburn to play ten yard passes that took a multitude of our players out of the game, but it was interesting (for me) to see your analysis.

Man to man is a real problem when your opponents break the line & you have to decide whether to stay with your man (as planned), or move to narrow the space. If you move, you are relying on your team mates to also come across & leave the space on the furthest wing, hopefully being able to cover if the ball is played there.

I don't think we respond well (at all) when anyone breaks free of his marker.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2023 20:39]
QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 21:07 - Oct 15 with 4385 viewsqprxtc

I’m more Ted Lasso me.
QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 05:46 - Oct 16 with 4005 viewsSydneyRs

GA is a terrific guy but this is amateurish stuff. And I have to wonder what role Dobson is playing here.
QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 08:27 - Oct 16 with 3842 viewstraininvain

Our press against Blackburn was real amateur hour stuff. Compare to the press under Beale at the start of last season, it’s night and day.

Not that I’d have Beale back but surely we deserve better than what we’re getting at the moment.
QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 08:46 - Oct 16 with 3781 viewsstevec

Good stuff. You do see these holes opening up and the midfield so scattered that you do have trouble working out what, if any, formation they are playing and it’s interesting to see it laid out here.

Certain midfielders are rightly copping it here but where the damage originally occurs, in the opposition half, in most incidences we have a spare defender and I don’t get why one of them isn’t engaging the unmarked midfielder in the centre circle. Against Blackburn it seemed that JCS and Dunne weren’t supporting each other so that one could go and one could hold when required.

There’s a real lack of team ethic amongst this bunch that has been going on for three years. Some are just not equipped for this level and some just don’t really like the contact sport side of the game.
QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 08:54 - Oct 16 with 3784 viewsBrianMcCarthy

As feared, grim reading/viewing.

Thanks for this, folks. Much to ponder.

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 09:46 - Oct 16 with 3678 viewsTheChef

Thanks for the analysis. I seem to remember a similar piece not too long ago...

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/60181/out-of-posse

Maybe GA and co should revisit this one!

You know, maybe set our stall out as make it hard to concede goals, and build from that?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Login to get fewer ads

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 10:30 - Oct 16 with 3594 viewsAntti_Heinola

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 09:46 - Oct 16 by TheChef

Thanks for the analysis. I seem to remember a similar piece not too long ago...

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/60181/out-of-posse

Maybe GA and co should revisit this one!

You know, maybe set our stall out as make it hard to concede goals, and build from that?

I don't think they know how to do that.

One of the major issues is the unsuitability of Gaz to this group of players. As someone at the club said to me, 'they're not his type of players'. Warbs-Beale-Critchley made sense even if things fell apart, and while Critchley lost the players, we were rarely getting overrun with the regularity that we do under Ainsworth. It always looked like a hope rather than belief appointment and so it's proved!

Bare bones.

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 10:38 - Oct 16 with 3570 viewsNorthernr

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 10:30 - Oct 16 by Antti_Heinola

One of the major issues is the unsuitability of Gaz to this group of players. As someone at the club said to me, 'they're not his type of players'. Warbs-Beale-Critchley made sense even if things fell apart, and while Critchley lost the players, we were rarely getting overrun with the regularity that we do under Ainsworth. It always looked like a hope rather than belief appointment and so it's proved!

The stupid thing is, they knew it as well. Could have appointed Ainsworth at just about any point over the last ten years but never went there because they were all very well aware.
QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 10:58 - Oct 16 with 3509 viewsPunteR

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 10:38 - Oct 16 by Northernr

The stupid thing is, they knew it as well. Could have appointed Ainsworth at just about any point over the last ten years but never went there because they were all very well aware.

Are they deliberately taking us down, planning for L1..?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 11:04 - Oct 16 with 3502 viewsBrianMcCarthy

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 10:30 - Oct 16 by Antti_Heinola

I think that's a factor in terms of attacking, but this is just basic defending - marking and pressing and it's common to every team. Ainsworth should be able to set them up to do that.

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 11:53 - Oct 16 with 3403 viewsdmm

I have to admit I got halfway through and stopped. Not because I disagree or it's a bad analysis, but because it's very true and utterly depressing.
QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 12:07 - Oct 16 with 3377 viewsAntti_Heinola

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 11:04 - Oct 16 by BrianMcCarthy

I think that's a factor in terms of attacking, but this is just basic defending - marking and pressing and it's common to every team. Ainsworth should be able to set them up to do that.

Why doesn't he do it then?

Bare bones.

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 12:12 - Oct 16 with 3346 viewsBrianMcCarthy

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 12:07 - Oct 16 by Antti_Heinola

Why doesn't he do it then?

Not sure, sorry. Maybe he just doesn't see it, maybe he does but is keeping faith that his system will come good, maybe he's trying but not getting it through effectively.

I honestly don't know.

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 12:41 - Oct 16 with 3249 viewsNortholt_Rs

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 12:12 - Oct 16 by BrianMcCarthy

Not sure, sorry. Maybe he just doesn't see it, maybe he does but is keeping faith that his system will come good, maybe he's trying but not getting it through effectively.

I honestly don't know.

Maybe he’s just not very good….

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 12:57 - Oct 16 with 3212 viewsTK1

I don't think this is his level. The things he is good at - motivation, vibes, team bonding, underdog football - will only take him so far with players of this level playing teams with good managers and smart coaches. I'm not sure he reads the game nor this club as well as he thinks.
He clearly struggles setting up teams to do anything other than sit back, defend for their lives and hit it long on the counter. Away from home against a better team: fine, he can do that. Give a home game he needs to win, he doesn't appear to have an idea, as this (and our eyes) proves. I bet he gets something out of the next two or three games though, enough to really leave us high and dry come the new year. All three are games he can set for.
QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 13:14 - Oct 16 with 3146 viewsTheChef

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 12:41 - Oct 16 by Northolt_Rs

Maybe he’s just not very good….

I hear he's a big fan of you as well

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 13:57 - Oct 16 with 3001 viewsstainrods_elbow

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 10:58 - Oct 16 by PunteR

Are they deliberately taking us down, planning for L1..?

It wouldn't surprise me one bit. There are rank and corrupt elements in pro football, and we fans are the devout, stuck-till-we die-with-it mugs.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 14:28 - Oct 16 with 2935 viewsTK1

The other really worrying thing is that I am not watching these home performances and thinking 'nearly'. I'm watching two or three goal defeats thinking 'could've been worse'. We're so far off at home, millions and millions of miles. Away we can scrape it - like Cardiff, Boro - or feel unlucky (Southampton) but at home we're never really in with a chance. Your most experienced player getting himself sent off after half an hour with a ludicrous two-footer on the halfway line isn't really unlucky. And the last two home games have been two of the most inept, hopeless showings I can remember, including that last relegation season from this level.

It's quite astonishing he's still here. Players must be wondering WTF. Nobody is in charge.
QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 14:34 - Oct 16 with 2915 viewsNorthernr

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 14:28 - Oct 16 by TK1

The other really worrying thing is that I am not watching these home performances and thinking 'nearly'. I'm watching two or three goal defeats thinking 'could've been worse'. We're so far off at home, millions and millions of miles. Away we can scrape it - like Cardiff, Boro - or feel unlucky (Southampton) but at home we're never really in with a chance. Your most experienced player getting himself sent off after half an hour with a ludicrous two-footer on the halfway line isn't really unlucky. And the last two home games have been two of the most inept, hopeless showings I can remember, including that last relegation season from this level.

It's quite astonishing he's still here. Players must be wondering WTF. Nobody is in charge.

I have to say, sadly, I'm broadly in agreement. We're miles off the level we're playing at.
QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 14:54 - Oct 16 with 2863 viewsAntti_Heinola

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 14:28 - Oct 16 by TK1

Really sadly, you're spot on, but other than the odd performance, this is nothing new under his tenure. I'm still utterly gobsmacked we stayed up last year. That Blackburn defeat was like watching a non-league team. We have three options in midfield - Dozzell, Field, Colback. That's it. Is there another team in the top 4 leagues with less strength in depth in that key position?

Bare bones.

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 15:40 - Oct 16 with 2734 viewskensalriser

Miles off, indeed.

I'm sure the decision's already made, there's just no replacement yet.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 15:49 - Oct 16 with 2724 viewsngbqpr

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 12:57 - Oct 16 by TK1

I don't think this is his level. The things he is good at - motivation, vibes, team bonding, underdog football - will only take him so far with players of this level playing teams with good managers and smart coaches. I'm not sure he reads the game nor this club as well as he thinks.
He clearly struggles setting up teams to do anything other than sit back, defend for their lives and hit it long on the counter. Away from home against a better team: fine, he can do that. Give a home game he needs to win, he doesn't appear to have an idea, as this (and our eyes) proves. I bet he gets something out of the next two or three games though, enough to really leave us high and dry come the new year. All three are games he can set for.

I agree TK, maybe he doesn't read the club as well as he thinks.

I know Clive isn't fond of fanbases (including a section of ours 'of a certain vintage' - eg me and, judging by the recent poll, a majority of LFWers) who like to think their club has a certain way of playing, a DNA etc - West Ham 'academy', Everton 'School of Science' etc etc.

However what I would say of our fanbase after 50 years of observation is we like to be entertained - and (if I may slip into a Beale-ism) we enjoy front foot football. When your team rarely wins much, this is what keeps you coming back.

This may be centred round a maverick number 10, of which we have been blessed with so many. It could be WarbsBall at its best, when we didn't pIss around with it at the back but got it forward smartly, and won home games 4-2. Equally it could look more old school on paper, but involve Sinton feeding Les, or Cook plonking it on Furlong's reliable bonce. EXCITING.

All of those variants are on top of the "players who give 100% for the shirt / empty the tank / leave nothing out on the grass." I don't think I've heard Gaz say much if anything about aspiring to an exciting brand of football. I think he wants to build a cave, Olly-style - but the Olly teams, including the ones GA played in, were fun to watch as well as being organised, and having some street smarts.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 16:22 - Oct 16 with 2611 viewsNorthernr

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 15:49 - Oct 16 by ngbqpr

I agree TK, maybe he doesn't read the club as well as he thinks.

I know Clive isn't fond of fanbases (including a section of ours 'of a certain vintage' - eg me and, judging by the recent poll, a majority of LFWers) who like to think their club has a certain way of playing, a DNA etc - West Ham 'academy', Everton 'School of Science' etc etc.

However what I would say of our fanbase after 50 years of observation is we like to be entertained - and (if I may slip into a Beale-ism) we enjoy front foot football. When your team rarely wins much, this is what keeps you coming back.

This may be centred round a maverick number 10, of which we have been blessed with so many. It could be WarbsBall at its best, when we didn't pIss around with it at the back but got it forward smartly, and won home games 4-2. Equally it could look more old school on paper, but involve Sinton feeding Les, or Cook plonking it on Furlong's reliable bonce. EXCITING.

All of those variants are on top of the "players who give 100% for the shirt / empty the tank / leave nothing out on the grass." I don't think I've heard Gaz say much if anything about aspiring to an exciting brand of football. I think he wants to build a cave, Olly-style - but the Olly teams, including the ones GA played in, were fun to watch as well as being organised, and having some street smarts.

I actually broadly agree with you mate.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024