Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southgate.... 15:53 - Nov 30 with 3730 viewsmacclesfieldman

Earned this job after beating the might of Malta and Scotland.

Wild horses couldn't drag me away...

Southgate.... on 16:09 - Nov 30 with 2963 viewsdaveB

also winning the under 20 tournament in the summer.

He wouldn't be my choice but good luck to him, just shows how poor the English managers are at the moment
Southgate.... on 16:17 - Nov 30 with 2943 viewsToast_R

I genuinely can't think of anyone else who's either available or would suit the position at the moment.

Before Allardyce people were talking about Klinsmann. Don't know why when he's done bugger all of merit really and just been sacked by the USA.

I'll give Southgate a chance. I liked what I saw against Spain and I just hope he don't fall in to the same old same old habit of picking players on reputation rather then form. Won't hold my breath though. Russia 2018 will be another powder puff campaign.
Southgate.... on 16:29 - Nov 30 with 2921 viewsDejR_vu

Olly can calm down about it all now

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Southgate.... on 16:33 - Nov 30 with 2913 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Not worth a hill of beans!

You could ask anyone from Peppa Pig to Pep himself, and they've still only got a small and diminishing group of players to pick from; none of whom are the 'daddies' at their clubs.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Southgate.... on 16:39 - Nov 30 with 2895 viewsToast_R

Southgate.... on 16:33 - Nov 30 by PlanetHonneywood

You could ask anyone from Peppa Pig to Pep himself, and they've still only got a small and diminishing group of players to pick from; none of whom are the 'daddies' at their clubs.

Look at Wales though. Went to a tournament and played out their skins.
England go to one and do the opposite.

I think there is a complete arrogance about the England setup. Pay the manager a ridiculously high amount, hire out the best facilities at tournaments, have a dedicated following all over the world and yet at the first sign of the going getting a little tough, they wilt. ALL THE GEAR AND NO IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Southgate.... on 16:48 - Nov 30 with 2882 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Southgate.... on 16:39 - Nov 30 by Toast_R

Look at Wales though. Went to a tournament and played out their skins.
England go to one and do the opposite.

I think there is a complete arrogance about the England setup. Pay the manager a ridiculously high amount, hire out the best facilities at tournaments, have a dedicated following all over the world and yet at the first sign of the going getting a little tough, they wilt. ALL THE GEAR AND NO IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah good shout and you could also add Iceland and Norn Iron as well.

I often feel some players, and not just English, look down on international footy and rarely match their club form in their country's colours. Thus when the so called minnows put on the shirt, they're like men possessed.

England just don't have a rock at the back, a master puppeteer pulling the strings in the middle and a demigod upfront. Wales in Williams, Ramsey and Bale certainly do.

If I were the new England head honcho, I'd be tempted to look at blokes in the Championship for whom pulling on the shirt might just see some go bandy.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Southgate.... on 16:54 - Nov 30 with 2872 viewsTacticalR

Southgate.... on 16:33 - Nov 30 by PlanetHonneywood

Would love to see Peppa bring in some fresh thinking but I just can't see her face fitting at the FA.

Air hostess clique

Southgate.... on 17:51 - Nov 30 with 2803 viewsFDC

Southgate.... on 16:54 - Nov 30 by TacticalR

Would love to see Peppa bring in some fresh thinking but I just can't see her face fitting at the FA.

Agreed. There's no way the FA are ready to appoint a female coach.
Login to get fewer ads

Southgate.... on 18:01 - Nov 30 with 2792 viewsQPR_John

Southgate.... on 16:17 - Nov 30 by Toast_R

I genuinely can't think of anyone else who's either available or would suit the position at the moment.

Before Allardyce people were talking about Klinsmann. Don't know why when he's done bugger all of merit really and just been sacked by the USA.

I'll give Southgate a chance. I liked what I saw against Spain and I just hope he don't fall in to the same old same old habit of picking players on reputation rather then form. Won't hold my breath though. Russia 2018 will be another powder puff campaign.

" I just hope he don't fall in to the same old same old habit of picking players on reputation rather then form."

Little chance of that. Players reputations are built up to sell the Premier League so those same players must play for England
Southgate.... on 18:20 - Nov 30 with 2770 viewsted_hendrix

Hurrah.

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Southgate.... on 18:25 - Nov 30 with 2763 viewsRangersDave

Yup, he will pick the names the old boy network expect him too, bar 1 or 2 outsiders.

Been like that for years, won't change until they stop the old farts from being anywhere near the FA, and replace them with people who don't stick their oar in, and just let a manager sink or hopefully swim on his own decisions, not what the FA or the press want in the team.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Southgate.... on 01:30 - Dec 1 with 2634 viewsOakR

I feel strangely positive about it, not sure why. He's not the first person who would spring to mind, but I think he will play players he thinks fit his system, the first manager in a long time to do so.

He will try more young players which will bode well for the future.

You never know, but I shall remain the eternal optimist.

Poll: Will we stay up?

Southgate.... on 08:29 - Dec 1 with 2554 viewspaulparker

one of the most insipid , low key, and underwhelming England appointments ever
another yes man, which is summed up by the FA telling us that "he is a great ambassador for what the FA stands for "
he may have won the under 20 tournament but do you seriously think he will promote anyone from that squad to the first team ,
will he drop the likes of Cahill, Rooney, Hart and build with the under 21s , of course not
he is like the others in that he is greedy and will play the "boys" to keep his job and that 2 million a year rolling in rather than rip up the team sheet and start again ,
in his last couple of squads he recalled Wiltshire, Glen Johnson , jagielka , Sturridge
why not play Keane, Redmond, ward -prowse , Antonio, Austin , Zaha ,
players in form who might actually suit a system rather than the same old same old
southgate wouldn't get a job at a championship club , he failed at Boro & at the main under 21 tournament which we didn't get out of the group
until people stop buying tickets to that soulless dump Wembley then the fa will keep on making these safe appointments

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Southgate.... on 08:32 - Dec 1 with 2548 viewsdanehoop

Southgate.... on 01:30 - Dec 1 by OakR

I feel strangely positive about it, not sure why. He's not the first person who would spring to mind, but I think he will play players he thinks fit his system, the first manager in a long time to do so.

He will try more young players which will bode well for the future.

You never know, but I shall remain the eternal optimist.

In some respects this is actually replicating some of the more successful European sides, in bringing forward the u21 coach to manage his players as they progress into senior football. The argument being that he is likely to have known or worked with many of his squad already, thereby giving him a better understanding of strengths, weaknesses as well as ensuring they continue to play in the way that he has previously coached them. So hopefully the team will be familiar with what is required of them and be able to adapt and respond more readily to his needs.

The problem with that theory is that the fa is neither progressive or forward thinking enough to have considered that perspective. But it may prove to be a good thing.

Never knowingly understood

Southgate.... on 09:54 - Dec 1 with 2489 viewsbob566

Southgate.... on 08:29 - Dec 1 by paulparker

another yes man, which is summed up by the FA telling us that "he is a great ambassador for what the FA stands for "
he may have won the under 20 tournament but do you seriously think he will promote anyone from that squad to the first team ,
will he drop the likes of Cahill, Rooney, Hart and build with the under 21s , of course not
he is like the others in that he is greedy and will play the "boys" to keep his job and that 2 million a year rolling in rather than rip up the team sheet and start again ,
in his last couple of squads he recalled Wiltshire, Glen Johnson , jagielka , Sturridge
players in form who might actually suit a system rather than the same old same old
southgate wouldn't get a job at a championship club , he failed at Boro & at the main under 21 tournament which we didn't get out of the group
until people stop buying tickets to that soulless dump Wembley then the fa will keep on making these safe appointments

hasn't zaha declared for Nigeria?
Southgate.... on 09:58 - Dec 1 with 2485 viewsJeff

Genuine question -who else is there?

who would you pick if not Southgate?

Can we not knock it?

Southgate.... on 10:03 - Dec 1 with 2478 viewsDorse

He's got the most thankless job in football. It ranks just below Equipment Monitorer - you rarely see the papers savaging Sam Perrin's monitorering ability or demanding he change the cone formation.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Southgate.... on 10:32 - Dec 1 with 2457 viewsadhoc_qpr

Southgate.... on 09:58 - Dec 1 by Jeff

It's the perfect match between Manager and team really (but not in a good way):

Both fairly young and with a record of underachieving.

Both pretty dull to watch/listen too.

Both freeze under pressure at big tournaments/moment.

I have nothing against Southgate and wish him well - but it's a thankless task because the FA are simply unable/unwilling to tackle the major issues with our domestic game, players development, coaching etc
Southgate.... on 10:39 - Dec 1 with 2450 viewsAntti_Heinola

Deliberately clicked on this link just to watch PP explode. And he did not disappoint.

Mate, I've heard he's going to appoint Hodgson as his assistant. How do you react to this news?

To be fair, I mainly agree with you, although of course he already has dropped Rooney, so that's an unfair criticism.

Let's wait and see. You wanted many of us to give Allardyce a chance, so how about giving Southgate one? He won't be any good of course, and as soon as he does start playing the names you mentioned we'll all start hating them too, but let's try and enjoy the (insipid) ride for a bit shall we? The next three tournaments are total dead losses anyway - Russia, *the whole of effing Europe* and Qatar. So I don't really give a flying fk.

Bare bones.

Southgate.... on 10:46 - Dec 1 with 2438 viewsCamberleyR

Southgate.... on 09:54 - Dec 1 by bob566

hasn't zaha declared for Nigeria?

Ivory Coast.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Southgate.... on 10:46 - Dec 1 with 2438 viewsbob566

its not like England haven't tried high end in ericcson and capello.

Give him a chance. He could be a good appointment.
Southgate.... on 11:04 - Dec 1 with 2409 viewspaulparker

Southgate.... on 10:39 - Dec 1 by Antti_Heinola

Deliberately clicked on this link just to watch PP explode. And he did not disappoint.

Mate, I've heard he's going to appoint Hodgson as his assistant. How do you react to this news?

To be fair, I mainly agree with you, although of course he already has dropped Rooney, so that's an unfair criticism.

Let's wait and see. You wanted many of us to give Allardyce a chance, so how about giving Southgate one? He won't be any good of course, and as soon as he does start playing the names you mentioned we'll all start hating them too, but let's try and enjoy the (insipid) ride for a bit shall we? The next three tournaments are total dead losses anyway - Russia, *the whole of effing Europe* and Qatar. So I don't really give a flying fk.

I will self combust when the news comes in we have appointed Phil Neville as u21 manager (if rumours are true of course)
that will mean southgate, phil Neville, and boothroyd all in charge of England's future
and who's helping choose this bright new dawn of managerial illuminate , Howard fckin Wilkinson and Graham Le saux , you couldn't make it up

we get what we deserve in life and we are surely getting it now , a sh1t manager for a sh1t team , I cant wait for the next international break as we huff and puff playing 4-2-3-1 against some eastern European nobody while glen hoddle talks sh1t about finding the zones and ian wright calls everyone gaffer

the sad thing is all he has to do is get out of the group in Russia and we will be holding an open bus parade

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Southgate.... on 11:10 - Dec 1 with 2396 viewspaulparker

Southgate.... on 09:58 - Dec 1 by Jeff

the sad thing is now our"top" league is full of foreign managers
if it has to be English/British then why not Eddie Howe , Dyche, Brendan Rodgers
karl robinson or clement should be given the U21 gig
we should never really have got rid of Sam, the Fa could and should of ridden that telegraph nonsense out

Southgate.... on 12:46 - Dec 1 with 2340 viewsAntti_Heinola

Southgate.... on 11:10 - Dec 1 by paulparker

the sad thing is now our"top" league is full of foreign managers
if it has to be English/British then why not Eddie Howe , Dyche, Brendan Rodgers
karl robinson or clement should be given the U21 gig
we should never really have got rid of Sam, the Fa could and should of ridden that telegraph nonsense out

Very much doubt Eddie Howe or Dyche would be stupid enough to take it just yet. Rodgers has only just joined Celtic, so he'll want to win a few easy trophies first, but wouldn't mind him at all.
But if we're going British, there really isn't much choice. When Allardyce really was the outstanding candidate under those conditions you have to realise British managers ain't much cop.
Hope Howe gets it one day though - in about 20 years, ideally.

Bare bones.

Southgate.... on 13:02 - Dec 1 with 2319 viewsheadhoops

the whole England manager/team thing is on one mega cluster fuc£ loop playing endlessly around and around. Old fart$ pick the next yes man who selects the Jesse Lingards and repeat ad nausea. Kiss the badge, feign the passion, try and mouth the words to the National Anthem.

We've tried the 'best' English managers, the luxury imports, why deny the pig her time will surely come.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024