Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Away kits 09:29 - Mar 11 with 3792 viewscpgerber

I understand that clubs think they will sell more replica shirts if they play in the away kits more often. In fact, I am pretty sure for some clubs its very successful. Ajax's dark green away kit is very popular over here (both my kids preferred it over the classic white/red), maybe because its way more practical than the white that once dirty, is basically ruined.

But surely we are selling none of those shirts we played in at Preston?

I really think they should only revert to away kits when there is a clash. For me it takes away from the identify and character of a team. Imagine the All Blacks always playing in white away kit?

Favorite QPR away kit? Mine was the red and black hoops.
Away kits on 09:37 - Mar 11 with 2833 viewsNorthernr

One issue at the moment is Warburton despises the pink kit and won't let them wear it. The original plan was to use the pink as a third kit, and it would have been used at Fulham, Huddersfield, Leeds and Preston, but Warbs won't have it so they have to clash in the light blue, or wear that weird mixed bag we had on at Huddersfield.
In fact, we got fined by the league for the Fulham game because the referee had specifically said neither our home nor away kit were suitable so it would have to be pink and we ignored him and turned up in hoops with blue shorts anyway.
Away kits on 09:41 - Mar 11 with 2815 viewsSir_Chops

Red and black hoops for me, too.

I know I read something (from Hoos) about the last red/black away kit not selling enough replicas, hence a move away from it - but surely the dross served up instead isn't selling in bulk.

If you have to play with the away kit to find a top-seller, base it on hoops which has more to do with the club's identity. And preferably not lighter/darker shades of the same colour either, like last year's light/dark pink number.

It can't be that difficult, can it?
Away kits on 09:42 - Mar 11 with 2809 viewsTheChef

Away kits on 09:37 - Mar 11 by Northernr

One issue at the moment is Warburton despises the pink kit and won't let them wear it. The original plan was to use the pink as a third kit, and it would have been used at Fulham, Huddersfield, Leeds and Preston, but Warbs won't have it so they have to clash in the light blue, or wear that weird mixed bag we had on at Huddersfield.
In fact, we got fined by the league for the Fulham game because the referee had specifically said neither our home nor away kit were suitable so it would have to be pink and we ignored him and turned up in hoops with blue shorts anyway.

Ha!

To be honest a lot of the time, using the home shirts with blue shorts and blue socks is more than sufficient.

Also that pink thing would have been a great template for a Dennis the Menace version.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Away kits on 09:48 - Mar 11 with 2783 viewsfrancisbowles

Good. Stupid ref. Surely white tops and Blue and white hooped shirts are easily distinguishable or is there some eye condition affecting refs that I am not aware of.

I prefer hooped second kits and think we should always play in hoops but putting that aside I don't mind the 2nd kit and I thought it looked ok with blue shorts and socks.

I know, I'm the only one. lol.
Away kits on 09:57 - Mar 11 with 2755 viewscpgerber

Can think of a better setup than these. I quite frankly refuse to believe that these sold worse than what we have now.

Away kits on 10:02 - Mar 11 with 2725 viewstimcocking

Hate to harp on about the kits yet again, but i cannot express my disgust and utter contempt for how it's been done in recent years. Not just by us but by football and sport in general.

Almost every kit in almost every sport looks so much worse than they used to.

And QPR, in particular...arguably one of the finest kits in the world and they've got us running out in a gonorrhoea coloured monstrosity like that. Somebody should be fcuking shot for this season's effort. I've always assumed it was designed by a Brentford fan.

Makes my blood fcuking boil. We can't stand anymore we can't sing anymore we can't play in hoops half of the time and they wonder why atmosphere and attendance struggles.

Ps And it clashes with all 23 other Championship sides. Genius.
[Post edited 11 Mar 2020 10:05]
Away kits on 10:05 - Mar 11 with 2723 viewsTheChef

Away kits on 09:57 - Mar 11 by cpgerber

Can think of a better setup than these. I quite frankly refuse to believe that these sold worse than what we have now.

Absolutely. Great set of shirts those.

Although ironically the 'Dennis' shirt was actually red and dark blue.

I might be wrong, but we've not had a proper Dennis shirt since 2013-14?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Away kits on 10:06 - Mar 11 with 2706 viewstimcocking

Respect to Mark Warburton for that, i'm really pleased to know that.

I'd guessed they'd realised how embarrassing it is.
Login to get fewer ads

Away kits on 10:22 - Mar 11 with 2681 viewsdannyblue

Great anecdote. I love these details that are fascinating to me and of absolutely no interest to almost anyone else on the planet.
Away kits on 10:48 - Mar 11 with 2640 viewsCamberleyR

I'm a traditionalist and think that an away kit should be markedly different from the home kit in colours so as not to require a third kit, great examples being our blue/white and red/black combos and West Brom's navy/white and green/yellow. Also whatever happened to the yellow shirts/blue shorts/yellow socks combo that you used to see loads of teams with when you were growing up? Hardly anybody has that these days but years ago it was the staple away kit of Arsenal, Everton, Derby, Spurs, Southampton to name a few.

I also think that you should wear your home colours where possible away from home. This modern thing which is likely driven by the kit suppliers of 'obliging' teams to wear an away kit a certain number of times, probably as a clause of the sponsorship even when no clash of colours, really annoys me. Watford were a prime example last season of wearing that green kit when there was no need. They wore it against us in the Cup last season for example.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Away kits on 12:14 - Mar 11 with 2513 viewscharmr

Kits, one of my favorite subjects.

Apparently the blue in the classic fm shirt was chosen by the players. Then ended up on murals all over the tiles around the changing rooms for yonks. Couldn’t afford to change it. Why ask the players anyway.

Had a heated conversation with a senior Under Armour designer about football/soccer shirts. Her point was they make shirts/attire for the modern athlete to minimize and maximize full efficiency.
Fine if you’re a down hill skier.

Football shirts are for fans to buy them. Players don’t care. They could be off in a few weeks. This was the period when Spurs were sponsored by Under Armour. They had that grey and black halved away kit. I quite liked it but my point to her was it had nothing to do with Spurs Identity and nothing to do with Spurs players. Shirts are for fans to purchase and surely retain some of the clubs traditions.

Remember Kappa and the tight fitting shirts. I’m sure they sold well and were seen on a regular basis down the pub. She didn’t get it and why would she. She knew nothing about Spurs or soccer and had the lazy arrogance that Under Armour employees give off in this town thinking they know best.

On another note, I wrote to Devlin once and asked why we played in our pale blue away kit at Watford. He said as it was on tv they wanted to help sell the away kit. The pink kit has been the biggest selling away kit for a while. Warnock always insisted we wore hoops every away game we were allowed to. Said it’s who QPR were.

I quite like the bold thinking behind the away kits of late. Has it anything to do with QPR. no. but that’s modern football, kit changes every year, and all about sales.
Away kits on 12:18 - Mar 11 with 2502 viewsBAWHoops

I'm absolutely stunned by this. I'd love to know the reason why.

I know during promotion season 2010/11 we stopped wearing the red and black away kit for Green and White hoops... assumed there was some 'luck' reason behind that

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Away kits on 12:43 - Mar 11 with 2446 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Might be an unpopular choice, but I loved the black and silver hoops. The DryWorld black and duck egg blue was pretty good as well.

And while the Dennis The Menace will always be our overall favourite, the '82 red shirt, black shorts, is still rather nice
[Post edited 11 Mar 2020 12:44]
Away kits on 12:45 - Mar 11 with 2443 viewsMatch82

Away kits on 09:41 - Mar 11 by Sir_Chops

Red and black hoops for me, too.

I know I read something (from Hoos) about the last red/black away kit not selling enough replicas, hence a move away from it - but surely the dross served up instead isn't selling in bulk.

If you have to play with the away kit to find a top-seller, base it on hoops which has more to do with the club's identity. And preferably not lighter/darker shades of the same colour either, like last year's light/dark pink number.

It can't be that difficult, can it?

As far as I recall, Hoos comment wasn't that it didn't sell (it clearly did based on the number of fans wearing it) but that a different or rotating design would attract more new buyers.

In other words if 10 people buy the Dennis kit this year, maybe all 10 like the updates version but only 4 of them buy it because there are only minor changes.
If you have a bright pink version then it's less appealing to most, but maybe 5 totally different people would buy it.
So your overall sales end up higher. That's the logic anyway.

Bit different with the home kit because that's iconic to the club (any club) and for people that buy a shirt every season, they are more likely to buy the home kit.
Away kits on 12:46 - Mar 11 with 2442 viewsDavieQPR

Away kits on 09:48 - Mar 11 by francisbowles

Good. Stupid ref. Surely white tops and Blue and white hooped shirts are easily distinguishable or is there some eye condition affecting refs that I am not aware of.

I prefer hooped second kits and think we should always play in hoops but putting that aside I don't mind the 2nd kit and I thought it looked ok with blue shorts and socks.

I know, I'm the only one. lol.

I thought it obvious from the standard of refereeing that most refs in this division have problems with their eyesight.
Away kits on 12:50 - Mar 11 with 2428 viewsKonk

Away kits on 12:18 - Mar 11 by BAWHoops

I know during promotion season 2010/11 we stopped wearing the red and black away kit for Green and White hoops... assumed there was some 'luck' reason behind that

If the main aim of football wasn't now about bleeding as much cash as possible out of the fanbase, then Rangers would always have a red and black hooped shirt. It's instantly recognisable, unusual and obviously QPR.

You should only ever wear your away kit when there's an obvious clash. Real Madrid and Atletico manage to play every derby in their home kits, yet when we played Atletico in the Europa League final, we had to wear some utterly shi t blue kit that no-one would ever associate with Fulham. So, when you look at photos or video from that game, it almost doesn't look like Fulham. Still, pi ssed-off about that. No pictures from that final will ever be iconic Fulham images because of the kit.

I also see a lot more young kids and adults making do with previous season's kits than used to be the case - I would love to see the figures from clubs like Rangers, Fulham etc, because my hunch is that changing the kit every season isn't much of a money spinner. We used to get kits for Christmas, because you generally got 2-3 seasons out of a kit, so you might have missed 5 months max. Now, you could spend £80 on a kids full kit and by Christmas time, you're half way through the season. And the greedy fuc kers can pis s right off if they think I'm gonna spend £80+ on a kit that isn't even a birthday or Christmas present.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Away kits on 12:57 - Mar 11 with 2409 viewsW7Ranger

I've just realised that we've never played a "final" in our home kit!

5 finals and an "away" kit in every single one!
Away kits on 12:58 - Mar 11 with 2404 viewsNorthernr

Away kits on 12:18 - Mar 11 by BAWHoops

Possibly because it looks fcking awful and it's an embarrassment that we ever wore it in the first place.
Away kits on 13:05 - Mar 11 with 2380 viewsLunarJetman

Away kits on 12:43 - Mar 11 by WrightUp5hit___

Might be an unpopular choice, but I loved the black and silver hoops. The DryWorld black and duck egg blue was pretty good as well.

And while the Dennis The Menace will always be our overall favourite, the '82 red shirt, black shorts, is still rather nice

Red shirt and black shorts reminds me of the 82 finals and my first real memories of QPR so I always like the look of that shirt.

Dennis the Menace away shirts have to be a must every season though. Mess about with the third strip but blue and white at home with red and black away is and always should be the home and away strips.
Away kits on 13:13 - Mar 11 with 2358 viewsSonofNorfolt

Our biggest selling away shirt ever is?
The pink one!
Away kits on 13:15 - Mar 11 with 2350 viewsGloucs_R

Hoops home and away is all I ask.

There are so many combinations they can do away, it shouldn't be s problem.

Favourites in recent years... Green and black, duck egg and black.

I would like to see yellow and red hoops or black / navy hoops

Poll: Warburton, What's next?

Away kits on 13:21 - Mar 11 with 2321 viewsfrancisbowles

Away kits on 12:46 - Mar 11 by DavieQPR

I thought it obvious from the standard of refereeing that most refs in this division have problems with their eyesight.

Ironic remark hence the emoji!
[Post edited 11 Mar 2020 13:23]
Away kits on 13:30 - Mar 11 with 2292 viewsCiderwithRsie

Away kits on 12:43 - Mar 11 by WrightUp5hit___

All perfectly decent alternatives; as was the '67 Cup Final strip.

I would always go for hoops and will cut them plenty of slack on the actual colours. If they really must have pink or this tiffany thing then go for it but make sure there are bleeding hoops on it.
Away kits on 13:34 - Mar 11 with 2282 viewsCamberleyR

Away kits on 12:57 - Mar 11 by W7Ranger

I've just realised that we've never played a "final" in our home kit!

5 finals and an "away" kit in every single one!

We wore hoops in 1986 although as everybody knows that was just a bad dream and never happened.

We should have worn blue & white hoops in 1982. We won the toss for kits but for some stupid reason believing it was lucky as we'd won the semi final in it, decided to stick with the red/black away kit in the final hence the odd spectacle of both teams playing in their away kits.
[Post edited 11 Mar 2020 13:36]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Away kits on 13:44 - Mar 11 with 2262 viewsW7Ranger

Away kits on 13:34 - Mar 11 by CamberleyR

We wore hoops in 1986 although as everybody knows that was just a bad dream and never happened.

We should have worn blue & white hoops in 1982. We won the toss for kits but for some stupid reason believing it was lucky as we'd won the semi final in it, decided to stick with the red/black away kit in the final hence the odd spectacle of both teams playing in their away kits.
[Post edited 11 Mar 2020 13:36]

'86???

Hmmmmm....

No, sorry. Don't remember that one.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024