Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BFG 10:47 - Aug 12 with 5982 viewsHooparoo

Toni has just put on his Instagram that he is back in the UK. Are we bringing him back?

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

BFG on 10:51 - Aug 12 with 4127 viewsJeff

we resume pre-season training next week, so he has to come back, just as Bright will have to,

don't think that it changes anything re his impending departure - he wants to be in Germany and Warbs doesn't like him, but he's nothing if not a consummate pro, so hes not going to go on strike...

Can we not knock it?

BFG on 10:52 - Aug 12 with 4115 viewsfrancisbowles

Still under contract, so he has to come back or he won't get paid. Meanwhile, his wait for someone to offer him a deal goes on.......
BFG on 10:55 - Aug 12 with 4088 viewsHooparoo

I’d like to see us use him again. He gets stuck in, is a leader and at least knows how to defend a bloody corner. Maybe we haven’t managed to get any of our CB targets?

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

BFG on 11:00 - Aug 12 with 4044 viewsfrancisbowles

BFG on 10:55 - Aug 12 by Hooparoo

I’d like to see us use him again. He gets stuck in, is a leader and at least knows how to defend a bloody corner. Maybe we haven’t managed to get any of our CB targets?

Think you are right on the last point. With the BOS sale falling through, I don't think we can commit to purchases until we get some money in. Reportedly, Goode wanted by Warnock, increased bid, Dickie, Oxford want £3 million + and several clubs chasing him.

As for BFG, can't do it consistently for us, or Cologne. Our defensive record doesn't seem to change whether or not he plays and we have to defend deeper when he does, which doesn't suit our method of play.
BFG on 11:04 - Aug 12 with 4018 viewsQPR_Jim

BFG on 10:51 - Aug 12 by Jeff

we resume pre-season training next week, so he has to come back, just as Bright will have to,

don't think that it changes anything re his impending departure - he wants to be in Germany and Warbs doesn't like him, but he's nothing if not a consummate pro, so hes not going to go on strike...

I can't remember what happened with him exactly but does he want to go to Germany or is it more a case he just wants to play regularly. I thought it was Polter who got homesick, although I may be confused.

I remember him being very keen on playing in the UK initially.
BFG on 11:18 - Aug 12 with 3920 viewsBrianMcCarthy

BFG on 11:00 - Aug 12 by francisbowles

Think you are right on the last point. With the BOS sale falling through, I don't think we can commit to purchases until we get some money in. Reportedly, Goode wanted by Warnock, increased bid, Dickie, Oxford want £3 million + and several clubs chasing him.

As for BFG, can't do it consistently for us, or Cologne. Our defensive record doesn't seem to change whether or not he plays and we have to defend deeper when he does, which doesn't suit our method of play.

"I don't think we can commit to purchases until we get some money in."

I don't think that's necessarily true, fb. We have bid £2m for Moore and brought in Thomas already, and I just cannot see Hoos and Ferdinand allowing that on the promise of possible sales money in at a later date.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

BFG on 11:42 - Aug 12 with 3778 viewscyprusmel

Sky report Moore gone for a medical at Cardiff.
Turned us down.
BFG on 11:56 - Aug 12 with 3706 viewsrsonist

BFG on 11:00 - Aug 12 by francisbowles

Don't know if I'm on board with what we're up to there. Goode seems a reasonable investment even at an increased fee. Dickie might be a little more readymade and may have a higher ceiling but at three times the price, a lot more competition to fend off, and the unlikelihood of getting it done early with the clock ticking and other positions to fill... smacks a bit of McKenna again and putting all our eggs in one pricey longshot basket while decent compromises go by. Is this that ~ambition~ people keep talking about?
Login to get fewer ads

BFG on 12:20 - Aug 12 with 3585 viewsdanehoop

I suspect that we are seeing a lot of agents putting stories about concerning who is bidding and where they are going. We seem to have a fairly clear strategy in place in terms of what we are looking for and a number of targets who might meet that role and overall affordability (which is still the deciding factor given the FFP issue which we are emerging from). We may end up with our 3rd or 4th choice in a given role, or just walk away completely if the overall numbers don't work. That may change if Bright or Eze leave, but suspect that the club will still largely want to keep a fairly disciplined approach to transfers.

One thing that seems to be different this year is that we are only hearing about things after the club has made a bid. We don't seem to have things leaking directly out from the club as much as we had in the past. I think that is also quite an encouraging thing.

Never knowingly understood

BFG on 12:22 - Aug 12 with 3576 viewsNorthernr

BFG on 12:20 - Aug 12 by danehoop

I suspect that we are seeing a lot of agents putting stories about concerning who is bidding and where they are going. We seem to have a fairly clear strategy in place in terms of what we are looking for and a number of targets who might meet that role and overall affordability (which is still the deciding factor given the FFP issue which we are emerging from). We may end up with our 3rd or 4th choice in a given role, or just walk away completely if the overall numbers don't work. That may change if Bright or Eze leave, but suspect that the club will still largely want to keep a fairly disciplined approach to transfers.

One thing that seems to be different this year is that we are only hearing about things after the club has made a bid. We don't seem to have things leaking directly out from the club as much as we had in the past. I think that is also quite an encouraging thing.

I think we're also seeing a lot of League One and Two clubs absolutely gagging for money putting stories about concerning who is bidding and where they're going.
BFG on 13:49 - Aug 12 with 3254 viewsterryb

I'm sure most of these stories that keep naming the same clubs going for the same players, are down to clubs or agents trying to raise extra interest. Plus some journalists finding an easy way to file reports.

BFG is still with us as no other club has tried to sign him yet. Whether that is down to his salary or his ability who knows? I would expect that he will leave us on a free transfer (providing the reports of his high wage are correct) to join a club at our level in Germany.
BFG on 13:54 - Aug 12 with 3235 viewsMyke

BFG on 11:04 - Aug 12 by QPR_Jim

I can't remember what happened with him exactly but does he want to go to Germany or is it more a case he just wants to play regularly. I thought it was Polter who got homesick, although I may be confused.

I remember him being very keen on playing in the UK initially.

I think Leistner was fine initially at least, but I think his wife/partner has expressed a desire to be near her family
BFG on 14:06 - Aug 12 with 3178 viewsrsonist

Scheming Agents line being gobbled up I see. Compliments to the chef.
BFG on 14:07 - Aug 12 with 3176 viewsQPR_John

BFG on 11:42 - Aug 12 by cyprusmel

Turned us down.

Out of interest when was he last time a player rumour resulted in the player actually signing
BFG on 14:16 - Aug 12 with 3133 viewsMatch82

BFG on 14:07 - Aug 12 by QPR_John

Out of interest when was he last time a player rumour resulted in the player actually signing

#announceravel
BFG on 14:30 - Aug 12 with 3073 viewsderbyhoop

BFG on 12:22 - Aug 12 by Northernr

I think we're also seeing a lot of League One and Two clubs absolutely gagging for money putting stories about concerning who is bidding and where they're going.

No doubt, true. With no crowds and little prospect of that changing short-term.
Is the Championship much better, though?
Yes, for those with parachute payments or clubs who have high value assets to sell (wonder who?) but the rest are in fairly serious financial hole.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

BFG on 14:36 - Aug 12 with 3054 viewsfrancisbowles

BFG on 11:18 - Aug 12 by BrianMcCarthy

"I don't think we can commit to purchases until we get some money in."

I don't think that's necessarily true, fb. We have bid £2m for Moore and brought in Thomas already, and I just cannot see Hoos and Ferdinand allowing that on the promise of possible sales money in at a later date.

You may well be right, Brian. It's all just speculation anyway. FWIW, my thoughts are Thomas was on a free and we grabbed him while we can, as we are short of numbers and we may have signed him and bid for Moore whilst we were fairly confident of the BOS sale. Things may now be a bit more uncertain again.

It's not just FFP, as we have a bit of headroom there but cashflow as virtually nothing has come in since March and outgoings were still high. The directors reported as paying a million a month just to keep it going! it is also extremely difficult to budget due to the unknowns with fans and season tickets etc.

At the moment it just looks like Thomas has sort of replaced Pugh in the squad. We are still a couple of strikers and at least two defenders short, maybe three if Leistner goes.
BFG on 14:41 - Aug 12 with 3028 viewsBrianMcCarthy

BFG on 14:36 - Aug 12 by francisbowles

You may well be right, Brian. It's all just speculation anyway. FWIW, my thoughts are Thomas was on a free and we grabbed him while we can, as we are short of numbers and we may have signed him and bid for Moore whilst we were fairly confident of the BOS sale. Things may now be a bit more uncertain again.

It's not just FFP, as we have a bit of headroom there but cashflow as virtually nothing has come in since March and outgoings were still high. The directors reported as paying a million a month just to keep it going! it is also extremely difficult to budget due to the unknowns with fans and season tickets etc.

At the moment it just looks like Thomas has sort of replaced Pugh in the squad. We are still a couple of strikers and at least two defenders short, maybe three if Leistner goes.

And you might be right too, fb. As you say - we're all just speculating.

I actually tend to zone out of a lot of the transfer speculation, or try to anyway. I preferred the old days when a mate called out of the blue and said we'd signed Baggio. Wonder what happened to him after he signed for us...

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

BFG on 14:44 - Aug 12 with 3011 viewsfrancisbowles

BFG on 14:41 - Aug 12 by BrianMcCarthy

And you might be right too, fb. As you say - we're all just speculating.

I actually tend to zone out of a lot of the transfer speculation, or try to anyway. I preferred the old days when a mate called out of the blue and said we'd signed Baggio. Wonder what happened to him after he signed for us...

I know it's all sh1t but I am addicted to anything Rs. (QPR!)
BFG on 23:26 - Aug 12 with 2650 viewsStanisgod

BFG on 11:42 - Aug 12 by cyprusmel

Turned us down.

He's crap anyway

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

BFG on 00:29 - Aug 13 with 2573 viewsdavman

BFG on 13:49 - Aug 12 by terryb

I'm sure most of these stories that keep naming the same clubs going for the same players, are down to clubs or agents trying to raise extra interest. Plus some journalists finding an easy way to file reports.

BFG is still with us as no other club has tried to sign him yet. Whether that is down to his salary or his ability who knows? I would expect that he will leave us on a free transfer (providing the reports of his high wage are correct) to join a club at our level in Germany.

See this is the bit I don't get even though I suspect you are right in that we will agree a deal to cut his contract short. He is by no means a world beater, but he is adequate and fulfills the need of a mean heading machine that we need to complement his tippy tappy colleagues Warbs prefers. I suspect Goode would not be much of an upgrade on him, yet costs money.

His wage may be the big deciding factor to get rid, but if he's here and under contract, why not ask him to work through that contract for one more season? It would be lunacy to let him go without ensuring that we have a cert lined up to replace him and it may prove the cost effective option to keep him here whilst Connor develops into the best he can be...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

BFG on 01:16 - Aug 13 with 2541 viewsMatch82

BFG on 00:29 - Aug 13 by davman

See this is the bit I don't get even though I suspect you are right in that we will agree a deal to cut his contract short. He is by no means a world beater, but he is adequate and fulfills the need of a mean heading machine that we need to complement his tippy tappy colleagues Warbs prefers. I suspect Goode would not be much of an upgrade on him, yet costs money.

His wage may be the big deciding factor to get rid, but if he's here and under contract, why not ask him to work through that contract for one more season? It would be lunacy to let him go without ensuring that we have a cert lined up to replace him and it may prove the cost effective option to keep him here whilst Connor develops into the best he can be...

Depends on the numbers really. Making this up but if BFG was on 25k a week and we offer him 10k a week to pay off his contract (assuming as a free transfer he'd back himself to get at least 15k from another club) then we gave Goode or whoever 10k, we'd come out 5k a week ahead.

If he wants a full pay off then I agree with you, keep him around
BFG on 02:25 - Aug 13 with 2509 viewstimcocking

BFG on 00:29 - Aug 13 by davman

Indeed.

The Leistner situation seems to have been handled appallingly right from the start. The idea of making a new player captain...still haven't got my head around how such a thing is even legal. Talk about give the guy a difficult start! Then drop him and loan him out within one hour of changing managers, leaving us short at the back (figuratively, not literally) when he'd never done much wrong. I'd have thought he's a good Championship centre half, easy to understand how he must have felt completely humiliated.

We're our own worst enemy at times.
BFG on 09:43 - Aug 13 with 2288 viewsfrancisbowles

BFG on 02:25 - Aug 13 by timcocking

Indeed.

The Leistner situation seems to have been handled appallingly right from the start. The idea of making a new player captain...still haven't got my head around how such a thing is even legal. Talk about give the guy a difficult start! Then drop him and loan him out within one hour of changing managers, leaving us short at the back (figuratively, not literally) when he'd never done much wrong. I'd have thought he's a good Championship centre half, easy to understand how he must have felt completely humiliated.

Whilst it's common knowledge that he is not MW's type of player, we didn't actually loan him out until January.
BFG on 11:05 - Aug 13 with 2179 viewsdanehoop

BFG on 02:25 - Aug 13 by timcocking

Indeed.

That was down to change of manager, rather than Warbs'. He is a solid enough player and just been unfortunate that the new manager planned style of play doesn't easily fit with his best playing position/approach. Nothing particularly off with that, happens in football and Warbs was honest enough at the outset with the player that this was the situation and he would be unlikely to get many starts as it stood.

I am pretty sure he would be attractive enough to many sides at this level, either in the UK or Germany as he is a capable proven solid player, if a bit slow. Hopefully he will either agree a settlement with us and pick up another club (Koln certainly didnt close the door, but basically said it was finances). Otherwise, if we don't pick up another central defender or two he may find himself playing for us after all.......

Never knowingly understood

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024