Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Camping Advice 13:09 - Jun 21 with 3456 viewsDubaiR

Looking for some wisdom and advice from the good people here.

Always been more of a proper holiday kinda person and that will continue. But I have just ordered a pop up 4 berth tent as thought would be great on the odd weekend to get the kids in the car and head somewhere to pitch up.

Booked our first 3 night park up and pitch break in July.

As a complete novive what do you recommend? What are the essentials I should look at getting beforehand etc?

Thanks in advance
Camping Advice on 13:32 - Jun 21 with 2219 viewsRangersDave

beer mate, plenty of beer!

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Camping Advice on 13:35 - Jun 21 with 2207 viewsMaggsinho

A headtorch so you can look for things without holding a torch in once hand.

Camping chairs and table to sit/eat in.
Camping Advice on 13:39 - Jun 21 with 2196 viewshantssi

Camping Advice on 13:35 - Jun 21 by Maggsinho

A headtorch so you can look for things without holding a torch in once hand.

Camping chairs and table to sit/eat in.

If you’re camping in the UK, a VERY good set of waterproofs!
Camping Advice on 13:42 - Jun 21 with 2186 viewsDubaiR

Beers - standard ;)
Ordered a camping gas stove
Hanging battery powered light bulb for the tent
Will look at camping table now

I know what will happen, will order all this and they will hate it….keep eyes open for a post selling loads of brand new camping kit ha ha
Camping Advice on 13:59 - Jun 21 with 2159 viewsR_from_afar

If your tent needs pegs to secure it (editor's note: What else would it use? Spiders' webs? Fairy dust? ) be sure to take a mallet, hammer or similar device.

Most of my camping trips have been cycle camping ones so we didn't usually take a mallet, to save weight, but I have to say it is a real pain trying to knock pegs into hard ground using a spanner or a rock LOL.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Camping Advice on 14:04 - Jun 21 with 2140 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Used to camp a lot when surfing. Will add these basics:-

Toilet paper!
Spare torch
Solar-powered battery pack for recharging music devices
Waterproof bags of all sizes - crucial for throwing food, toiletries etc so a spill can be contained and not become a full-blown disaster
Beer.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Camping Advice on 14:17 - Jun 21 with 2104 viewsKonk

I'm sure your tent will be fine, but I would always aim to have a tent 1 berth bigger than you actually need - it's nice to have a bit of room, and having a separate entrance/porch compartment is great for dumping footwear/somewhere to sit when it's tipping down outside. You don't need to spend a fortune to get a really decent tent with partitioned areas for sleeping. Don't forget a mallet!

If you've got blow-up mattresses, then I'd take them. Take your usual pillows, and if you're camping in the UK and travelling by car, I'd always take a duvet too. You get a much better night's kip than using a sleeping bag.

Head-torch as other's have said is handy for middle-of-the-night toilet trips, a lantern/light to hang in the middle of the tent. We use citronella candles to keep bugs at bay when we're sat outside at night.

Washing-up bowl with sponge, washing-up liquid and couple of tea-towels. Plastic cups, plates, bowls and cutlery. Small paring knife. Condiments. Cool box. Stove.

Camping chairs, and a fold-up table is handy for any food prep/eating.

Toilet roll!

We've got lightweight, microfibre travel towels that are ideal for camping - take-up very little room and dry really quickly.

Waterproof coat.

Thick jumper for night time.

If the campsite has firepits, then some matches and kindling - you can usually buy firewood from the site.

I really like camping - not sure I'd want to camp in the UK for a week or whatever, but in my experience, kids love a few nights away in a tent. Hopefully you'll have good weather and a nice site. Good luck.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Camping Advice (n/t) on 14:28 - Jun 21 with 2081 viewsbollockchops

Camping Advice on 14:17 - Jun 21 by Konk

I'm sure your tent will be fine, but I would always aim to have a tent 1 berth bigger than you actually need - it's nice to have a bit of room, and having a separate entrance/porch compartment is great for dumping footwear/somewhere to sit when it's tipping down outside. You don't need to spend a fortune to get a really decent tent with partitioned areas for sleeping. Don't forget a mallet!

If you've got blow-up mattresses, then I'd take them. Take your usual pillows, and if you're camping in the UK and travelling by car, I'd always take a duvet too. You get a much better night's kip than using a sleeping bag.

Head-torch as other's have said is handy for middle-of-the-night toilet trips, a lantern/light to hang in the middle of the tent. We use citronella candles to keep bugs at bay when we're sat outside at night.

Washing-up bowl with sponge, washing-up liquid and couple of tea-towels. Plastic cups, plates, bowls and cutlery. Small paring knife. Condiments. Cool box. Stove.

Camping chairs, and a fold-up table is handy for any food prep/eating.

Toilet roll!

We've got lightweight, microfibre travel towels that are ideal for camping - take-up very little room and dry really quickly.

Waterproof coat.

Thick jumper for night time.

If the campsite has firepits, then some matches and kindling - you can usually buy firewood from the site.

I really like camping - not sure I'd want to camp in the UK for a week or whatever, but in my experience, kids love a few nights away in a tent. Hopefully you'll have good weather and a nice site. Good luck.

Login to get fewer ads

Camping Advice (n/t) on 14:29 - Jun 21 with 2078 viewsbollockchops

Camping Advice (n/t) on 14:28 - Jun 21 by bollockchops

Fire pit if you wanna be up with the jones !
Camping Advice (n/t) on 14:33 - Jun 21 with 2074 viewsKonk

Camping Advice (n/t) on 14:29 - Jun 21 by bollockchops

Fire pit if you wanna be up with the jones !

Fire pit if you want to sit up drinking and chatting past about 8 o'clock without freezing your bollo cks off!

With kids, I'd always take some card games like Top Trumps or something to keep them entertained in the event of it pis sing down and the nearest pub being shut/too far to walk to!

Camping Advice on 14:37 - Jun 21 with 2062 viewsKonk

Camping Advice on 13:42 - Jun 21 by DubaiR

Beers - standard ;)
Ordered a camping gas stove
Hanging battery powered light bulb for the tent
Will look at camping table now

I know what will happen, will order all this and they will hate it….keep eyes open for a post selling loads of brand new camping kit ha ha

See if any of the parents at your kids school/pre-school have got any gear they can lend you. We started off borrowing almost everything, and then started getting our own stuff when we realised we liked camping.

We've lent our stuff out loads too. Had a bit of a disaster with mates getting all the way down to Cornwall and ringing me up at 8pm to ask where the tent poles were (in a separate bag in our loft...oops!). My wife had to drive down from Bristol and meet my mate halfway. They ended-up getting the tent-up at about midnight...

Camping Advice on 14:39 - Jun 21 with 2047 viewsDubaiR

I have ordered extra pegs, a cheapo table and chairs thats folds up, a head torch, a portable cooking stove with gas, a mallett, sleeping bags.

We will have the car so loads can be thrown in the boot.

I feel in about 5 weeks someone is going to get a bargain ha ha.

Also was thinking before we venture out may test in the garden one night (neighbours will love that) to test everything...good idea or bloody stupid?
Camping Advice on 14:40 - Jun 21 with 2047 viewsJuzzie

Camping Advice on 13:39 - Jun 21 by hantssi

If you’re camping in the UK, a VERY good set of waterproofs!

If you do have to go outside in the pouring rain to do something (hammering in tent pegs, chasing down blown away fly-sheets etc) wear as little as possible, swimming trunks mainly. I know it seems counter intuitive (unless it's freezing cold) but when you get back in the tent you just dry yourself off and change your trunks.
if you wear coats, galoshes, boots etc you're just getting them soaked and bringing them back into the tent with you.
Camping Advice on 14:46 - Jun 21 with 2026 viewsKonk

Camping Advice on 14:39 - Jun 21 by DubaiR

I have ordered extra pegs, a cheapo table and chairs thats folds up, a head torch, a portable cooking stove with gas, a mallett, sleeping bags.

Also was thinking before we venture out may test in the garden one night (neighbours will love that) to test everything...good idea or bloody stupid?

A test run is a great idea - it's fun for the kids too. Honestly, if you have room, then I would take duvets rather than sleeping bags. Are you taking roll mats or inflatable mattresses? You'll need something. It makes a huge difference if you can get a good night's kip. Inflatable mattresses can be inflated using your car.

Camping Advice on 14:57 - Jun 21 with 1999 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Boerewors sausages for your brai.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Camping Advice on 14:59 - Jun 21 with 1996 viewsStroud_R

A multi-pocket organiser which hangs from one of the tent poles - for all the smaller items which would otherwise end up laying around on the floor.
Camping Advice on 15:05 - Jun 21 with 1964 views18StoneOfHoop

Don't.
This is why God made hotels and B&B's.
Went to Epping Forest down the Central tube met with peeps I didn't know or like.
One of the Longest spittiest soaked nights of my life in a non-stop torrential storm.
When back to ciivilised dry Shepherd 's Bush sworn off camping for rest of my days.

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Camping Advice on 15:08 - Jun 21 with 1948 viewsAshdown_Ranger

Something like yoga mats to put under your sleeping bags (if not using an inflatable mattress).

Pump that runs off the car for inflating mattress/dinghies/whatever.

Big, collapsable/roll-up water bottle.

Ear plugs to block out noisy neighbours.

Have fun :)
Camping Advice on 15:11 - Jun 21 with 1942 viewsLythamR

You might want to consider a Windbreak

Handy if your sitting our and its breezy particularly in the evenings

Coolbox for the beers if its Scorcio
Camping Advice on 15:36 - Jun 21 with 1899 viewsKonk

If there’s a supermarket relatively nearby, we take food that doesn’t need refrigerating with us from home, but tend to do a supermarket run early each morning (you’ll be awake early!) to top up with bacon, sausages, burgers etc as well as fresh bread, bags of ice etc for the day.

Camping Advice on 15:58 - Jun 21 with 1864 viewsJuzzie

Camping Advice on 15:05 - Jun 21 by 18StoneOfHoop

Don't.
This is why God made hotels and B&B's.
Went to Epping Forest down the Central tube met with peeps I didn't know or like.
One of the Longest spittiest soaked nights of my life in a non-stop torrential storm.
When back to ciivilised dry Shepherd 's Bush sworn off camping for rest of my days.

lol! I was just thinking the same!

I started camping from 3 years old. 3-4 weeks from the end of July in a farm field in north Yorkshire every year until I was around 14 interspersed with the odd camping trip to other places.... Lake District, Wales etc.

Did a few motorbike trips with mates to France, Germany & Italy in my early 20's that involved camping there and back. You can do things like camp in service station grass sections, disused quarries (as we thought until they started blasting at 6am) and general random places when it's just you and your mates.

I last went camping near Swansea about 8-9 years ago. June, Friday night and yes.... it absolutely pished it down all afternoon & night. Luckily I drove there in my Pajero 4x4 so had no problem traversing the camp site.

I've done my fair share and the thought of doing it all again with my kids fills me with dread but it's not fair on them as they need to experience it so maybe once or twice.
I might be tapping up DubaiR's and Konk for a loan of stuff!
Camping Advice on 16:00 - Jun 21 with 1859 viewsTomS

If you have never gone camping before, you may struggle to get to sleep. It will probably be a lot colder at night than you predicted, so you need to make yourself as comfortable as possible.

A decent sleeping bag. Inflatable mattress and pillow are essential. What services are available at the campsite and what do you need to be self sufficient in? How will you cook, clean up, wash, entertain yourselves? Be prepared for poor weather. What is plan B if there is a mutiny in the family after the first night?
Camping Advice on 16:04 - Jun 21 with 1850 viewsDubaiR

Juzzie You buy the lot at 50% off in 5 weeks would be my guess.

Our holiday to Domican looks like being cancelled, I refuse to pay similar money to spend 10 nights away in the UK (the cost isn't that different, when consider 10 nights all inclusive in domincan Vs. 10 nights in Cornwall with all food and drink and kids stuff).

So I thought this would be a fun way to spend the odd weekend...

Showed my daughter the tent, that looks so cool...amazing,.
Showed her the campsite shower/toilets....I am not using them
Said we will try in the Garden first.....I am not sleeping in the garden what about all the bugs....

This is going to go well I can just tell.
Camping Advice on 16:06 - Jun 21 with 1839 viewsDubaiR

Tom, Selected a camp site on the devon coast, 70 quid for 3 nights pitch your own tent but has washing up facilities, shower and toilet. It's right on the beach so could be a great natural escape, could be a disaster...time will tell
Camping Advice on 16:14 - Jun 21 with 1818 viewsstowmarketrange

Camping Advice on 14:39 - Jun 21 by DubaiR

As konk says,try it out in your garden first.There’s nothing more stressful than trying to put up a new tent when you haven’t got a clue what you’re doing,especially if it’s raining or you got stuck in traffic and it’s getting dark.And your camping neighbours will be sitting in their loungers laughing at your feeble attempt at pitching it.
Also it gets a little nippy at night so it’s better to have extra bedding if you need it rather than freeze because you haven’t.And air the bedding during the day or you might find it a little damp when you use it at night.
Good luck.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024