Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swung by the subs, QPR maintain unbeaten start - Report 17:27 - Aug 29 with 3555 viewsNorthernr

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/55648
Swung by the subs, QPR maintain unbeaten start - Report on 18:46 - Aug 29 with 3239 viewsstevec

Charlie instrumental in both those goals by putting himself about.
Swung by the subs, QPR maintain unbeaten start - Report on 18:49 - Aug 29 with 3226 viewsDavieQPR

That one shot by Barbet was worth the 8. If that had gone in Goal of the Season would have been over already.
Swung by the subs, QPR maintain unbeaten start - Report on 19:59 - Aug 29 with 3012 viewsCiderwithRsie

Since we're throwing praise for individuals about, I thought Willock's work on the edge of the box leading up to the Barbet goal (before he overhit it and Johansen fed it back for the initial Barbet rocket) was lovely.
Swung by the subs, QPR maintain unbeaten start - Report on 20:12 - Aug 29 with 2960 viewseastside_r

Absolutely agree with this assessment of the game. I looked at the match thread when I got in and was somewhat surprised how little credit Cov were given. I thought they absolutely battered us first half. How much did they pay for Gyökeres - looks an absolute steal.

The substitutions did indeed swing the game as good as ours were for us, Coventry's made them decidedly worse.

What I find really encouraging at this stage of the season are two main changes from the last one.

Early last season, MW's substitutions usually made our side worse, this season he is nailing them. This time last season, we started a few games very brightly only to fade and lose but this season it is the opposite. We tend to start slowly but hang on in there and come back to get draws or wins. It's always better when you finish the game well.

Great showmanship from the Jockeroo*, that's the way to make an entrance.

(* I am sticking with this even if Clive is still going with Scotstralian.)
Swung by the subs, QPR maintain unbeaten start - Report on 20:13 - Aug 29 with 2960 viewsNorthernr

Swung by the subs, QPR maintain unbeaten start - Report on 20:12 - Aug 29 by eastside_r

Absolutely agree with this assessment of the game. I looked at the match thread when I got in and was somewhat surprised how little credit Cov were given. I thought they absolutely battered us first half. How much did they pay for Gyökeres - looks an absolute steal.

The substitutions did indeed swing the game as good as ours were for us, Coventry's made them decidedly worse.

What I find really encouraging at this stage of the season are two main changes from the last one.

Early last season, MW's substitutions usually made our side worse, this season he is nailing them. This time last season, we started a few games very brightly only to fade and lose but this season it is the opposite. We tend to start slowly but hang on in there and come back to get draws or wins. It's always better when you finish the game well.

Great showmanship from the Jockeroo*, that's the way to make an entrance.

(* I am sticking with this even if Clive is still going with Scotstralian.)

I might use Jockeroo now.
Swung by the subs, QPR maintain unbeaten start - Report on 20:27 - Aug 29 with 2886 viewsGloryHunter

Swung by the subs, QPR maintain unbeaten start - Report on 20:13 - Aug 29 by Northernr

I might use Jockeroo now.

Swung by the subs, QPR maintain unbeaten start - Report on 20:43 - Aug 29 with 2835 viewsB_Wad

Was happy to see the shout for Barbet as MOM regardless of the near-thunderstrike. It feels odd to write this, but this team and string of results features stars at almost every position. Dieng, Johansen, de Wijs, Dykes, etc. all could be deserving, but Barbet does things like block shots and perfectly time tackles and still comes up to add that extra body on the attack. I believe he had a presence in the box for the first goal that contributed to the pressure on the Coventry defense.

Heard him on the fan podcast and he comes off as a really good guy and someone who would be an excellent teammate. Very glad he is an R.
Swung by the subs, QPR maintain unbeaten start - Report on 21:00 - Aug 29 with 2758 viewsStainrod

What is an "anti-Hugill"?
Login to get fewer ads

Swung by the subs, QPR maintain unbeaten start - Report on 21:02 - Aug 29 with 2752 viewsNorthernr

Swung by the subs, QPR maintain unbeaten start - Report on 21:00 - Aug 29 by Stainrod

What is an "anti-Hugill"?

A shot that stays low, hit with the head over the ball, as opposed to one that flies miles over the bar from a lean back.
Swung by the subs, QPR maintain unbeaten start - Report on 21:29 - Aug 29 with 2661 viewscolinallcars

Swung by the subs, QPR maintain unbeaten start - Report on 21:02 - Aug 29 by Northernr

A shot that stays low, hit with the head over the ball, as opposed to one that flies miles over the bar from a lean back.

I s'ppose a posher way of putting it would be the antithesis of a Hugill shot.
Swung by the subs, QPR maintain unbeaten start - Report on 21:47 - Aug 29 with 2598 viewsCiderwithRsie

Swung by the subs, QPR maintain unbeaten start - Report on 21:29 - Aug 29 by colinallcars

I s'ppose a posher way of putting it would be the antithesis of a Hugill shot.

No. It's an anti-Hugill. As soon as I read it I thought "Yes! Exactly!"
Swung by the subs, QPR maintain unbeaten start - Report on 23:23 - Aug 29 with 2361 viewsStainrod

Swung by the subs, QPR maintain unbeaten start - Report on 21:02 - Aug 29 by Northernr

Ah! Love your writing and passion for the cause but a few points like that a bit obscure (if I can be allowed to make such a comment)
Swung by the subs, QPR maintain unbeaten start - Report on 07:45 - Aug 30 with 2053 viewsNorthernr

Swung by the subs, QPR maintain unbeaten start - Report on 23:23 - Aug 29 by Stainrod

Ah! Love your writing and passion for the cause but a few points like that a bit obscure (if I can be allowed to make such a comment)

Nah I quite like the in-jokes, running jokes and pop culture references. If people get them they get them and if they don't they don't but after 20 years of match reports I sort of don't care any more
Swung by the subs, QPR maintain unbeaten start - Report on 10:15 - Aug 30 with 1765 viewsOldPedro

Swung by the subs, QPR maintain unbeaten start - Report on 07:45 - Aug 30 by Northernr

Nah I quite like the in-jokes, running jokes and pop culture references. If people get them they get them and if they don't they don't but after 20 years of match reports I sort of don't care any more

I enjoy trying to spot the jokes and pop culture references. Sometimes I find lots of them and other times I don't spot any.

Great writing as always!

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Swung by the subs, QPR maintain unbeaten start - Report on 11:25 - Aug 30 with 1646 viewsAntti_Heinola

Swung by the subs, QPR maintain unbeaten start - Report on 07:45 - Aug 30 by Northernr

Agree. There's an awful thing these days of not including anything in different kinds of writing that some people might not 'get'. I can't think of much that's more damaging to comedy in particular because of that sort of wrong-headed thinking. The Simpsons is arguably the most successful comedy ever written, and even their early episodes had some wonderfuly obscure references (I doubt many kids had watched A Clockwork Orange back then) but it still became an international behemoth. They don't take away from your reports, but they're there if you want them. (and yes, i did enjoy 'it's bringing love, don't let it get away, break it's legs' the other day, but then I did once analyse that episode as part of a very pretentious essay I wrote at uni ;) (it featured seven different levels of 'reality' don't you know))

Bare bones.

Swung by the subs, QPR maintain unbeaten start - Report on 12:19 - Aug 30 with 1572 viewsPinnerPaul

Excellent - enjoyed that.

Just to add to your frustration, another piece of pedantry - I'm sure they got 2 yellows, but, like you, others are reporting 1. I'm watching the 90' later so will let you know

Bet you can't wait ?!

PS - Yes agree about the ref, spot on!
Swung by the subs, QPR maintain unbeaten start - Report on 12:22 - Aug 30 with 1568 viewsNorthernr

Swung by the subs, QPR maintain unbeaten start - Report on 12:19 - Aug 30 by PinnerPaul

Excellent - enjoyed that.

Just to add to your frustration, another piece of pedantry - I'm sure they got 2 yellows, but, like you, others are reporting 1. I'm watching the 90' later so will let you know

Bet you can't wait ?!

PS - Yes agree about the ref, spot on!

I thought they got two as well, but went with the BBC because I was drunk.
Swung by the subs, QPR maintain unbeaten start - Report on 13:02 - Aug 30 with 1508 viewsPinnerPaul

Swung by the subs, QPR maintain unbeaten start - Report on 12:22 - Aug 30 by Northernr

I thought they got two as well, but went with the BBC because I was drunk.

Phew! Thought I had lost it there for a moment!
Swung by the subs, QPR maintain unbeaten start - Report on 16:13 - Aug 30 with 1295 viewsthehat

Brilliant read again Clive thank you...

Marks out of ten are all good fun - We do the same with the kids in the car on the way back and we all end up with slightly different opinions which I guess is what football is all about.

We all agreed Barbet was MOM and glad you mentioned those first half blocks. It was probably his best ever game for the club that I have seen him play.

So our Bandwagon just keeps on rolling next stop Reading away with what will undoubtably be a very large following from W12.

Big away following what could possibly go wrong!!
Swung by the subs, QPR maintain unbeaten start - Report on 16:39 - Aug 30 with 1267 viewsdistortR

Swung by the subs, QPR maintain unbeaten start - Report on 16:13 - Aug 30 by thehat

Brilliant read again Clive thank you...

Marks out of ten are all good fun - We do the same with the kids in the car on the way back and we all end up with slightly different opinions which I guess is what football is all about.

We all agreed Barbet was MOM and glad you mentioned those first half blocks. It was probably his best ever game for the club that I have seen him play.

So our Bandwagon just keeps on rolling next stop Reading away with what will undoubtably be a very large following from W12.

Big away following what could possibly go wrong!!

you mark your kids out of 10?
Swung by the subs, QPR maintain unbeaten start - Report on 01:08 - Aug 31 with 921 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Swung by the subs, QPR maintain unbeaten start - Report on 18:49 - Aug 29 by DavieQPR

That one shot by Barbet was worth the 8. If that had gone in Goal of the Season would have been over already.

First thought that crossed my mind was the beautiful technique he used and my second one was how many players not just QPR ones would have blasted that over the bar and maybe roof .
Lovely to see our follow up play this season we are chasing rebounds even lost causes like we smell blood and the goals are coming its magnificent to see
Swung by the subs, QPR maintain unbeaten start - Report on 16:13 - Sep 1 with 648 viewsPinnerPaul

Swung by the subs, QPR maintain unbeaten start - Report on 13:02 - Aug 30 by PinnerPaul

Phew! Thought I had lost it there for a moment!

Well, like you I thought it was 2, but can only see 1 on the 90'. Its possible there was one for the hack at SJ, just outside pen area 2nd half, but replays meant I couldn't be sure OR I could just be plain wrong and there WAS only 1.

Who cares - we won!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024