Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Alan McDonald 13:20 - Jun 23 with 4302 viewsQPRSteve

https://www.qpr.co.uk/videos/features/the-life-and-times-of-alan-mcdonald-230622

Brought a tear to my eye reading that. What a great man he was.
Alan McDonald on 13:59 - Jun 23 with 3480 viewsflynnbo

Met him once at a sponsors' do at Harlington when he was assistant manger to Waddock. Was having a good old chat until he had to go off and have a ciggie-well, that was his excuse!
RIP Macca.
Alan McDonald on 14:08 - Jun 23 with 3457 viewsRs_Holy

Alan McDonald on 13:59 - Jun 23 by flynnbo

Met him once at a sponsors' do at Harlington when he was assistant manger to Waddock. Was having a good old chat until he had to go off and have a ciggie-well, that was his excuse!
RIP Macca.

yep, proper old school in so many ways... love the stories from the players who used to play with him.
Alan McDonald on 14:16 - Jun 23 with 3452 viewsdaveB

brilliant from Chris Guy, loved Macca, a wonderful player and an even better person
Alan McDonald on 15:06 - Jun 23 with 3377 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Lovely piece. Well done to Chris.

In my Best-Ever XI too. Fine header, tackler, reader and organiser. Hard as nails, rarely beaten.

And to think that Trevor Francis nearly chased him out of the club!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Alan McDonald on 15:15 - Jun 23 with 3363 viewsBklynRanger

Loved the detail and final comments in that article - quite moving.

Macca was from literally a mile down the road from me. I remember hanging around the box office area after the game some time in '92, not long after moving over here, and Macca came out of the player's entrance.
I could easily have gone over and said something but sort of froze - just stood there instead listening as he said his goodbyes to whoever, appreciating the fact that someone that good had the same accent as me. RIP big man.
Alan McDonald on 15:18 - Jun 23 with 3355 viewsquickpassrotter

Thank you Chris Guy. Lovely piece.
Alan McDonald - certainly the best central defender/centre half to wear the hoops that I have ever seen.
Alan McDonald on 17:41 - Jun 23 with 3210 viewsPunteR

"As long as the name Queens Park Rangers Football Club gets mentioned, so will the name Alan McDonald."

Too right.

I loved Macca, a real club legend.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Alan McDonald on 17:43 - Jun 23 with 3205 viewswombat

Alan McDonald on 15:18 - Jun 23 by quickpassrotter

Thank you Chris Guy. Lovely piece.
Alan McDonald - certainly the best central defender/centre half to wear the hoops that I have ever seen.

was lucky enough to know macca you couldnt wish to meet a nicer guy funny as feck loved a ciggie and loved a drink used to grab a cheeky fag at half time most games as well , used to drink in the railway next to greenford station with ian stewart billy beggs and a few others prob never bought a round when macc was there , then used to get abuse while walking round sainsbursy while hung over as he did his weekly supermarket shop and he was on a diff isle all you could heard was maccas accent above anything else

was texted in the early hours while on holiday of what happened never felt so gutted to hear such news lovely lovely guy

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Login to get fewer ads

Alan McDonald on 17:59 - Jun 23 with 3182 viewsHAYESBOY

Andy Sinton on Macca.

https://www.qpr.co.uk/videos/interviews/remembering-macca-230622/

Smells like a trout farm in here

Alan McDonald on 18:13 - Jun 23 with 3163 viewsloftboy

My all time favourite player.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Alan McDonald on 18:29 - Jun 23 with 3142 viewsBenny_the_Ball

The man, the myth, the legend that was Alan McDonald. We'll not see his kind again. RIP.
Alan McDonald on 20:51 - Jun 23 with 3012 viewsbosh67

Not a player you could say 'do you remember that bad game he had' about because there wasn't one. True leader.
[Post edited 23 Jun 2022 20:51]

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Alan McDonald on 21:14 - Jun 23 with 2952 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Alan McDonald on 17:59 - Jun 23 by HAYESBOY

Andy Sinton on Macca.

https://www.qpr.co.uk/videos/interviews/remembering-macca-230622/

That's just gorgeous.
It shows the genuine warmth in our club now, missing for a while but back now in spades.

Alan McDonald on 21:44 - Jun 23 with 2900 viewssilverbirch

Alan McDonald on 15:06 - Jun 23 by BrianMcCarthy

Lovely piece. Well done to Chris.

In my Best-Ever XI too. Fine header, tackler, reader and organiser. Hard as nails, rarely beaten.

And to think that Trevor Francis nearly chased him out of the club!

What’s the Trevor Francis story, Brian? I can’t remember that
Alan McDonald on 21:44 - Jun 23 with 2899 viewsHAYESBOY

Alan McDonald on 21:14 - Jun 23 by BrianMcCarthy

That's just gorgeous.
It shows the genuine warmth in our club now, missing for a while but back now in spades.

You could see 10 years on it still hits hard. Like for us fans as well.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Alan McDonald on 22:10 - Jun 23 with 2868 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Alan McDonald on 21:44 - Jun 23 by silverbirch

What’s the Trevor Francis story, Brian? I can’t remember that

Wish I could remember more of the details, silverbirch, but I'm pretty sure on the following - that Trevor Francis dropped him, that he told him that he was no longer first choice, and that Macca ended up thinking about a transfer.

Luckily, Macca outlasted the colossal clown.

Alan McDonald on 22:10 - Jun 23 with 2863 viewsted_hendrix

Many Years ago we were away at Oxford United and getting battered 3-or 4-0 at the time, we were all stood in that crap away end moaning like f uck when Oxford got yet another corner, as Macca was walking towards our goal to get ready to defend the corner one of our lot threw a beer bottle (empty) on the pitch, Macca picked it up and growled at us and threw it behind the goal, whilst he was growling at us we all put our hands in our pockets and stared at the floor hoping he wouldn't see us.
Whilst working In Reading on a building site a Northern Ireland scaffolder I knew told me he was selling his signed Macca Norn Ireland shirt that he had after a game against Bulgaria, he knew I was aQPR fan, we agreed a fee of £10 and he duly brought it in the next day, I proudly took It home and the Missus put it through the washing machine but banned It from the house, so It took pride of place In my garage for many-many Years, one day I noticed it had gone missing so I asked herself where's Maccas shirt, she repied something along the lines ' oh that dirty old green thing, I washed It and cut It up for rags!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm 99% sure that against those manure bastards at LR Macca brutalised Mark Hughes so bad Hughes only lasted about 26 minutes before he went off injured??

If there Is a God then God bless you Macca and rest in peace, you'll never be replaced.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Alan McDonald on 22:21 - Jun 23 with 2847 viewssilverbirch

Alan McDonald on 22:10 - Jun 23 by BrianMcCarthy

Wish I could remember more of the details, silverbirch, but I'm pretty sure on the following - that Trevor Francis dropped him, that he told him that he was no longer first choice, and that Macca ended up thinking about a transfer.

Luckily, Macca outlasted the colossal clown.

Thanks. Yes, management wasn’t TF’s greatest strength!
Alan McDonald on 02:05 - Jun 24 with 2738 viewsNorthLondonR

I think it speaks volumes when we still compare 'proper' centre Half's to Macca and his ilk. He simply is QPR to me and I'll never forget being in awe as he trotted out and stubbed his fag out in the carefully positioned sand bucket next to the dugout when I was mascot in 87... For my generation, only eclipsed by Sir Les but he is in our DNA and I love him. Can you imagine his worth nowadays? But.. but.. but XG... fcuk off
Alan McDonald on 04:16 - Jun 24 with 2692 viewsozexile

My favourite ever player as well. You knew when his name was on the team sheet there'd be no quarter given and the opposition were in for a game.
Alan McDonald on 08:08 - Jun 24 with 2569 viewsMetallica_Hoop

In the Millwall league cup game (93?) their usual suspects were throwing pieces of our seats on to the pitch.
Macca picks one up and starts walking to the 4/5 of them in the school end on the left gesturing 'come on', every single one of them ran away and I think one( the big bald one) slipped in his haste to back off up the stairs.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Alan McDonald on 09:00 - Jun 24 with 2515 viewsNorthantsHoop

Great defender, remember seeing him play his home debut in 1983/84. In those days had a great set of central defenders Bob Hazell, Glenn Roeder, Steve Wickes and Terry Fenwick.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2022 9:01]
Alan McDonald on 09:46 - Jun 24 with 2422 viewsAshteadR

Alan McDonald on 17:43 - Jun 23 by wombat

was lucky enough to know macca you couldnt wish to meet a nicer guy funny as feck loved a ciggie and loved a drink used to grab a cheeky fag at half time most games as well , used to drink in the railway next to greenford station with ian stewart billy beggs and a few others prob never bought a round when macc was there , then used to get abuse while walking round sainsbursy while hung over as he did his weekly supermarket shop and he was on a diff isle all you could heard was maccas accent above anything else

was texted in the early hours while on holiday of what happened never felt so gutted to hear such news lovely lovely guy

That was a real blast from the past. I used to play in the same team as Billy Beggs on a Sunday for a while and we got married on the same day in 1994.
Alan used to lodge at my best mate’s Nan and Grandad’s when he was in the youth team - as did Ian Stewart. He used to help my Dad run a few training sessions when I played for Larkspur. Alan even came and watched us a few times on a Sunday morning. I have a suspicion that sometimes he came directly from a Saturday night out based on his smart attire,
He also used to get us complimentary tickets in the directors box to watch him play for the reserves. Some great memories of a lovely guy
Alan McDonald on 18:31 - Jun 24 with 2255 viewsthemodfather

from his debut he stood out and scored . top player, ask mark hughes who was his toughest opponent, club legend for me.
Alan McDonald on 19:35 - Jun 24 with 2208 viewsMrSheen

Alan McDonald on 18:31 - Jun 24 by themodfather

from his debut he stood out and scored . top player, ask mark hughes who was his toughest opponent, club legend for me.

If I’d known what Hughes would do to us in future, I’d have enjoyed Macca beating the shyte out of him even more. For one “Football’s toughest strikers”, he spent a lot of those games rolling around holding his head.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024