Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why didn’t QPR make more signings in January? podcast 23:05 - Feb 1 with 7032 viewsbosh67

As always very good.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/why-didnt-qpr-make-more-signings-in-january

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Why didn’t QPR make more signings in January? podcast on 23:18 - Feb 1 with 5290 viewsA40Bosh

Thanks - was going to post this

Loving Jim Frayling. Insider realism but challenges LH approach to putting all money in to playing budget and not marketing to the local community

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Why didn’t QPR make more signings in January? podcast on 00:03 - Feb 2 with 5197 viewsdaveB

Jim was excellent, always enjoy this one
Why didn’t QPR make more signings in January? podcast on 00:09 - Feb 2 with 5188 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Always enjoy those but where is Dan
Very interesting ideas from Jim to try and get new fans to Loftus Road and hopefully the club is listening
Why didn’t QPR make more signings in January? podcast on 00:37 - Feb 2 with 5127 viewsVancouverHoop

Why didn’t QPR make more signings in January? podcast on 00:09 - Feb 2 by CLAREMAN1995

Always enjoy those but where is Dan
Very interesting ideas from Jim to try and get new fans to Loftus Road and hopefully the club is listening

Dan's got a paying job!
Why didn’t QPR make more signings in January? podcast on 09:28 - Feb 2 with 4632 viewsBlue_Castello

Because we've already got 5 loans and we are so close to breaking FFP rules again so there is no money available, plus through lack of form we can't shift any of our own better players, that's if they were to stay fit long enough........Next.......
Why didn’t QPR make more signings in January? podcast on 10:15 - Feb 2 with 4475 viewsEastR

Sensible, insightful, intelligent, reasoned, and slightly depressing.

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Why didn’t QPR make more signings in January? podcast on 13:34 - Feb 2 with 4054 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Why didn’t QPR make more signings in January? podcast on 09:28 - Feb 2 by Blue_Castello

Because we've already got 5 loans and we are so close to breaking FFP rules again so there is no money available, plus through lack of form we can't shift any of our own better players, that's if they were to stay fit long enough........Next.......

This to me is the main flaw in our sustainability plan. Yes, the market may not be the same as when Brentford were flogging their players every season for big bucks, but a huge part of that was them performing on the pitch most weeks and getting them into promotion contention. They were literally more than the sum of their parts and clubs wanted their players. When you're consistently losing six on the bounce or winning 1 in 14 (and counting), the perception of your assets is lower. If we were at the top of the table like we were at the start of the season, there would definitely be more interest in our players. We have literally never been in the play-offs since we came down - no point talking about our form in a calendar year because it means nothing. Until we are competitive again, the plan fails - and this makes sense because if you're producing decent players, then you will be competitive, attract bids and close the circle. The evidence suggests that our players aren't actually as good as we supporters sometimes think.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2023 14:09]
Why didn’t QPR make more signings in January? podcast on 13:54 - Feb 2 with 3973 viewsRangersw12

As they said on the Pod the biggest flaw in the way the club is being run is that we don't follow through with anything 100%

Best example is that we've had a DOF model for years yet still allow the manager to sign who he wants which inevitably leads to problems when the manager leaves or is sacked
Login to get fewer ads

Why didn’t QPR make more signings in January? podcast on 14:05 - Feb 2 with 3946 viewsNorthernr

Why didn’t QPR make more signings in January? podcast on 13:54 - Feb 2 by Rangersw12

As they said on the Pod the biggest flaw in the way the club is being run is that we don't follow through with anything 100%

Best example is that we've had a DOF model for years yet still allow the manager to sign who he wants which inevitably leads to problems when the manager leaves or is sacked

That's it for me too, 100%.
Jim Frayling would be an excellent replacement for Hoos when he leaves the club IMO. Switched on, gets the club, great CV, helped us out of the mire before.
Why didn’t QPR make more signings in January? podcast on 17:47 - Feb 2 with 3650 viewsaston_hoop

On podcasts, Critchley has started doing the rounds. Think he has a QPR fans one to come later tonight but here is the official EFL one from today

https://podfollow.com/1453527897/episode/a6bb998cc14fc6fd18deb7a8f34dc33ca82e544

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Why didn’t QPR make more signings in January? podcast on 18:00 - Feb 2 with 3602 viewsDixie_CT

Great pod and fascinating insight from Jim Frayling.

One awkward moment when he was speaking about the older failings of the academy, some of which would have been when Steve Gallen was in charge. Not sure Jim would have realised that, especially with Kevin on the call.

I am not sure what operational failings Frayling was alluding too, maybe a lack of funds, but I know Steve is very professional, a very good coach, incredibly personable and treated everyone with respect. Values that go a long way but are often overlooked in the ruthless world of academy football.
Why didn’t QPR make more signings in January? podcast on 18:09 - Feb 2 with 3549 viewsPinnerPaul

On the wider academy argument, someone posted the other day, the not unreasonable question, "Why do we bother?"

Now even with their massive set up, Simon Jordan admitted it was very likely that no one would make it from the batches of 8 year olds who start with Crystal Palace each year.

However, surely taking away an 8 year old's chance to play for QPR is not really in keeping with our "Community club" ethos and, maybe more importantly, is highly likely to mean even less young fans wanting to come here.

When you see the 8s, 9s, 10s teams when they parade round the pitch, the joy on their faces is fantastic to see and must influence how they feel about us and make them want to come to games?

Of course producing our own players for the first team is key, but its not easy and no one has a magic formula - even you know who just seem to produce players to farm out on loan, without a hope of playing for the first team.
Why didn’t QPR make more signings in January? podcast on 18:10 - Feb 2 with 3548 viewsHunterhoop

Jim’s a good friend of mine, a big driving force in ASB historically, played an underrated part in the Holloway years, and is very switched on. He’s also local, and has been all his life.

Not sure he’d want it, but agree with Clive he’d be great back at QPR in some capacity. But worth remembering QPR is a c20m turnover company. Even in the Prem it’s be £200m. In the grand scheme of things we’ve a very small business today and a middling private business in the Prem. And you have tens of thousands of people watching your actions like a hawk and criticising regularly and quite aggressively. It’s not attractive but for the emotional pull, and even then you can’t be singing, swearing, and starting chants at the back of Pu. Although having a CEO sit up there would be excellent.
Why didn’t QPR make more signings in January? podcast on 18:23 - Feb 2 with 3483 viewsDixie_CT

Why didn’t QPR make more signings in January? podcast on 18:09 - Feb 2 by PinnerPaul

On the wider academy argument, someone posted the other day, the not unreasonable question, "Why do we bother?"

Now even with their massive set up, Simon Jordan admitted it was very likely that no one would make it from the batches of 8 year olds who start with Crystal Palace each year.

However, surely taking away an 8 year old's chance to play for QPR is not really in keeping with our "Community club" ethos and, maybe more importantly, is highly likely to mean even less young fans wanting to come here.

When you see the 8s, 9s, 10s teams when they parade round the pitch, the joy on their faces is fantastic to see and must influence how they feel about us and make them want to come to games?

Of course producing our own players for the first team is key, but its not easy and no one has a magic formula - even you know who just seem to produce players to farm out on loan, without a hope of playing for the first team.

There are alternatives and this video is one thing that the Community Trust is doing that could be something to develop at a lower cost than the Academy.

Alfie and Harrison are fantastic assets for the club, I’m so pleased to see them doing so well. The professionalism and passion they speak with is admirable.

As academy costs aren’t considered in P & S/FFP I suppose it matters little to the finances but could be a distraction that could be detrimental to 1st team and other club business.
Why didn’t QPR make more signings in January? podcast on 18:32 - Feb 2 with 3437 viewsSimonD

With regard to the academy, it is worth considering the effect of the Elite Player Poaching Plan. I checked with Paul Morrissey, and we’ve had 13 players whistled away from us since EPPP’s inception.
Why didn’t QPR make more signings in January? podcast on 19:40 - Feb 2 with 3256 viewsOldPedro

Why didn’t QPR make more signings in January? podcast on 18:32 - Feb 2 by SimonD

With regard to the academy, it is worth considering the effect of the Elite Player Poaching Plan. I checked with Paul Morrissey, and we’ve had 13 players whistled away from us since EPPP’s inception.

Any more info on that in terms of which players and clubs involved?

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Why didn’t QPR make more signings in January? podcast on 19:59 - Feb 2 with 3187 views1JD

Why didn’t QPR make more signings in January? podcast on 18:32 - Feb 2 by SimonD

Yes and No. Yes because top young talents are quite clearly allowed to leave easily and freely to Cat 1 clubs, unless you are Cat 1 yourself. Which we need to be ASAP.

No because, other smaller London clubs such as Wimbledon and Charlton have excellent track records when it comes to regularly producing young talent - despite their so-called smaller club disadvantage in London.
Why didn’t QPR make more signings in January? podcast on 21:20 - Feb 2 with 3032 viewsDixie_CT

Why didn’t QPR make more signings in January? podcast on 19:59 - Feb 2 by 1JD

Yes and No. Yes because top young talents are quite clearly allowed to leave easily and freely to Cat 1 clubs, unless you are Cat 1 yourself. Which we need to be ASAP.

No because, other smaller London clubs such as Wimbledon and Charlton have excellent track records when it comes to regularly producing young talent - despite their so-called smaller club disadvantage in London.

Not sure if it was pre-EPPP when Harvey Elliot (Fulham) & Alfie Gilchrist (Chelsea) left the club when going into the Under 11s but we are always going to susceptible to bigger clubs successfully stealing boys in our Academy.

Even being Cat A doesn’t fully protect you because if the parents get their heads turned and they want the boy to go, he will go.
Why didn’t QPR make more signings in January? podcast on 21:38 - Feb 2 with 2984 views1JD

Why didn’t QPR make more signings in January? podcast on 21:20 - Feb 2 by Dixie_CT

Not sure if it was pre-EPPP when Harvey Elliot (Fulham) & Alfie Gilchrist (Chelsea) left the club when going into the Under 11s but we are always going to susceptible to bigger clubs successfully stealing boys in our Academy.

Even being Cat A doesn’t fully protect you because if the parents get their heads turned and they want the boy to go, he will go.

Doesn’t fully protect as you say, but it helps add a layer of protection; which we need.

The fact EPPP was set up to ensure the biggest talents are able to easily move from lower academies to Cat 1, is immoral. But as the rules still stand, we need to join them not fight it. It won’t help keep everyone, but if we were able to keep say 50% of the 10+ that have left us in recent years, it would pay off.
Why didn’t QPR make more signings in January? podcast on 22:36 - Feb 2 with 2874 viewsNorthernr

Why didn’t QPR make more signings in January? podcast on 19:40 - Feb 2 by OldPedro

The Spurs keeper who was playing against us in the FA Youth Cup for one.
Why didn’t QPR make more signings in January? podcast on 23:02 - Feb 2 with 2780 viewsSimonD

Why didn’t QPR make more signings in January? podcast on 19:40 - Feb 2 by OldPedro

These are kids in the U9 to U16 age groups. I didn’t think it right to ask, and I’m pretty certain Paul wouldn’t have said.

He did say that we had received a total of around £750k in compensation for them.
Why didn’t QPR make more signings in January? podcast on 23:15 - Feb 2 with 2746 viewsLazyFan

Why didn’t QPR make more signings in January? podcast on 19:59 - Feb 2 by 1JD

Yes, we need to be Cat 1.

Also worth noting that even if zero of the 8's make it, they will grow up fans and have great stories to tell of how they once played for QPR.

This is how we build in the community with the young'uns.

zzzzzzzzzz

Why didn’t QPR make more signings in January? podcast on 23:40 - Feb 2 with 2699 viewsdaveB

Why didn’t QPR make more signings in January? podcast on 18:00 - Feb 2 by Dixie_CT

Great pod and fascinating insight from Jim Frayling.

One awkward moment when he was speaking about the older failings of the academy, some of which would have been when Steve Gallen was in charge. Not sure Jim would have realised that, especially with Kevin on the call.

I am not sure what operational failings Frayling was alluding too, maybe a lack of funds, but I know Steve is very professional, a very good coach, incredibly personable and treated everyone with respect. Values that go a long way but are often overlooked in the ruthless world of academy football.

I don't think he was talking about the coaching side and Steve Gallen was more the investment, facilities etc, thats what i assumed he meant anyway
Why didn’t QPR make more signings in January? podcast on 08:25 - Feb 3 with 2321 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Why didn’t QPR make more signings in January? podcast on 23:02 - Feb 2 by SimonD

These are kids in the U9 to U16 age groups. I didn’t think it right to ask, and I’m pretty certain Paul wouldn’t have said.

He did say that we had received a total of around £750k in compensation for them.

Good info.

While that's a pittance in today's inflated market, it still pays for a lot of coaching wages, or even players' wages. While I and we knock the Academy on occasions, and sometimes with justification, £750k (with add-ons to follow should any of them make it, I think we can safely say?) and thirteen players being 'sold' is a good result.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Why didn’t QPR make more signings in January? podcast on 08:39 - Feb 3 with 2267 views1JD

Why didn’t QPR make more signings in January? podcast on 08:25 - Feb 3 by BrianMcCarthy

Good info.

While that's a pittance in today's inflated market, it still pays for a lot of coaching wages, or even players' wages. While I and we knock the Academy on occasions, and sometimes with justification, £750k (with add-ons to follow should any of them make it, I think we can safely say?) and thirteen players being 'sold' is a good result.

13 players divided by 750k = 57k per lost talent. 13 high-potential players lost is a HUGE talent drain.

Given these are some of the hottest talents in the country, it’s a paltry sum whatever way you flip it from my point of view. Adding them together to get 750k just makes it sound better.

But it’s still a measly 57k per player. Getting 57k on average for someone like the England under age keeper we lost to spurs is a real kick in the teeth. The more we can do to avoid *some* of these leaving, including Cat 1 status, the better. If we only managed to keep 1 player out of the 13, it’s potential worth multi-millions.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024