Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The queue to visit the Queen's coffin 22:22 - Sep 16 with 31088 viewsLogman

I'm completely in awe of this. No event in the history of my life has been marked to that extent. Nowhere near. I have sheer admiration for the people who are making the pilgrimage and I am completely humbled just looking at the queue on my television, yet alone joining it. A shame that more time could not be given to make it more easily accessible but obviously there are logistics and rituals to be observed. I hope every football supporter in the land gives the minute's silence and national anthem the full respect they deserve tomorrow.
The queue to visit the Queen's coffin on 08:38 - Sep 17 with 7352 viewsessextaxiboy

A few Republicans on the radio this week saying its time for change and we should have a referendum on the monarchy .
This week should let them know that there are are millions who share the opposite view .
The queue to visit the Queen's coffin on 09:38 - Sep 17 with 7285 viewsAntti_Heinola

Fair play to anyone who stands in a queue that long to see anything.
I suspect republicans are very well aware we are in the minority, but we are entitled to our view. It’s possible to be both respectful about a death and also believe the monarchy to be a dangerous, outdated, profoundly damaging institution that only reinforces the terrible class system this country continues to promote and endure. 25 years ago the feeling was very much leaning the other way, the Queen was sorely out of step, as was the entire RF, when Diana died, but reputations can be rebuilt. Hopefully healthy debate will continue over this - preferably after the funeral - but as you say, can’t see it changing any time soon (although earlier this year i think only 33% of young people approved of the monarchy - there will be a bounce now, but Charles hasn’t got the affection people had for Elizabeth).

Bare bones.

The queue to visit the Queen's coffin on 09:46 - Sep 17 with 7251 viewsMalintabuk

Drove up to Hayes last night and stayed at my daughters. My wife and 3 daughters and granddaughter went at 3am this morning to Southwell and to join the queue, they are apparently just coming out of the park nearly 6 hours later, so hopefully see them later tonight
I have to be honest I was torn whether to go with them or to the match, sort of wished I went to pay my respects
So if your in SA F block and there is an idiot singing, well shouting really, off key GSTK..... please forgive me
The queue to visit the Queen's coffin on 09:53 - Sep 17 with 7237 viewstraininvain

The queue to visit the Queen's coffin on 09:38 - Sep 17 by Antti_Heinola

I suspect republicans are very well aware we are in the minority, but we are entitled to our view. It’s possible to be both respectful about a death and also believe the monarchy to be a dangerous, outdated, profoundly damaging institution that only reinforces the terrible class system this country continues to promote and endure. 25 years ago the feeling was very much leaning the other way, the Queen was sorely out of step, as was the entire RF, when Diana died, but reputations can be rebuilt. Hopefully healthy debate will continue over this - preferably after the funeral - but as you say, can’t see it changing any time soon (although earlier this year i think only 33% of young people approved of the monarchy - there will be a bounce now, but Charles hasn’t got the affection people had for Elizabeth).

Well said. People are entitled to grieve and respect to those queuing for 20+ hours even if I think it’s complete madness.

But the attempts to shutdown any criticism of the monarchy including the arrests of people for peaceful protest doesn’t reflect well on this country.

It remains to be seen whether this intense period of national mourning with 24/7 news coverage will result in more or less support for the royal family. And I’m not convinced that Charles has anywhere near the temperament needed to hold it all together.
The queue to visit the Queen's coffin on 09:57 - Sep 17 with 7211 viewsozexile

The queue to visit the Queen's coffin on 09:53 - Sep 17 by traininvain

Well said. People are entitled to grieve and respect to those queuing for 20+ hours even if I think it’s complete madness.

But the attempts to shutdown any criticism of the monarchy including the arrests of people for peaceful protest doesn’t reflect well on this country.

It remains to be seen whether this intense period of national mourning with 24/7 news coverage will result in more or less support for the royal family. And I’m not convinced that Charles has anywhere near the temperament needed to hold it all together.

I agree with you.
The queue to visit the Queen's coffin on 10:18 - Sep 17 with 7143 viewsDWQPR

The queue to visit the Queen's coffin on 09:38 - Sep 17 by Antti_Heinola

Debate is always healthy and also has a time and a place. But I look at other great democracies and to see not so much ruling classes of the monachist classes but of those of the political classes or those having been to the most elite of universities. Nothing is perfect in this world and I am sure that if the UK became a republic then we would soon see a build up of elite families similar to that seen in the US with the likes of Roosevelt, Kennedy, Clinton, Bush and no doubt in time Obama. And one family stands out in the UK that I would reckon would try and push to have the first UK President would be the Blair’s with Ewan achieving multi-multi millionaire status with his business. Whatever the situation in politics and power it’s not what you know it’s who you know and also to have a few quid in your pocket.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2022 10:27]

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

The queue to visit the Queen's coffin on 10:22 - Sep 17 with 7140 viewsMrSheen

The queue to visit the Queen's coffin on 09:53 - Sep 17 by traininvain

Any criticism? What’s the total so far? One in Scotland for a placard, one for shouting personal abuse at Andrew and one in Oxford (later de-arrested). A barrister in London said he was threatened with arrest if he wrote on a sign. Other protests eg in Cardiff ignored by the police.

It’s hardly Moscow, but it has shone a light on confusion in the police about whether they should be upholding the law without fear of favour or preventing the public expression of “offensive” views, made more difficult as the law itself incorporates more of the latter. See the trial of Marion Miller. This legal trend is undoubtedly popular.
The queue to visit the Queen's coffin on 10:48 - Sep 17 with 7069 viewsconnell10

I think the people queuing are mad , but each to their own. As for crying for someone you have never met ....come on.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Login to get fewer ads

The queue to visit the Queen's coffin on 10:51 - Sep 17 with 7060 views222gers

I too am amazed at the public's response. The best I can do is to walk up to Talgarth Rd on Monday and watch the carriage go by.
The queue to visit the Queen's coffin on 10:52 - Sep 17 with 7054 viewstraininvain

The queue to visit the Queen's coffin on 10:22 - Sep 17 by MrSheen

Any criticism? What’s the total so far? One in Scotland for a placard, one for shouting personal abuse at Andrew and one in Oxford (later de-arrested). A barrister in London said he was threatened with arrest if he wrote on a sign. Other protests eg in Cardiff ignored by the police.

It’s hardly Moscow, but it has shone a light on confusion in the police about whether they should be upholding the law without fear of favour or preventing the public expression of “offensive” views, made more difficult as the law itself incorporates more of the latter. See the trial of Marion Miller. This legal trend is undoubtedly popular.

The arrests are one example of criticism being shutdown and I would say that even one arrest for non violent protest is one too many. It sets a dangerous precedent.

But I’m also talking about the attempts to shutdown any criticism of the monarchy on the grounds that it’s somehow disrespectful to the Queen to make such comments during the mourning period. A view I’ve seen on here and elsewhere over the past week or so.

Everyone’s entitled to their opinion whether that’s demonstrated by queuing for 20+ hours or questioning whether the money spent on all this would be better used to help people heat their homes this winter: https://mobile.twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1570829113564315651?s=20&t=hHV4Y0oT4m7
[Post edited 17 Sep 2022 10:55]
The queue to visit the Queen's coffin on 10:54 - Sep 17 with 7049 viewsstowmarketrange

The queue to visit the Queen's coffin on 10:18 - Sep 17 by DWQPR

Debate is always healthy and also has a time and a place. But I look at other great democracies and to see not so much ruling classes of the monachist classes but of those of the political classes or those having been to the most elite of universities. Nothing is perfect in this world and I am sure that if the UK became a republic then we would soon see a build up of elite families similar to that seen in the US with the likes of Roosevelt, Kennedy, Clinton, Bush and no doubt in time Obama. And one family stands out in the UK that I would reckon would try and push to have the first UK President would be the Blair’s with Ewan achieving multi-multi millionaire status with his business. Whatever the situation in politics and power it’s not what you know it’s who you know and also to have a few quid in your pocket.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2022 10:27]

That is part of the problem if we became a republic.Rich people hold sway in every country in the world, and becoming a republic won’t change that.
I don’t agree that some people have inherited land and wealth because their ancestors were on the right side in a war that was fought hundreds of years ago,but I don’t know how we could change a system like that now.
Too much wealth is shared between too few people in my my opinion,but that’s not what this thread is about.
I was going to join the queue on Thursday night,but my wife wasn’t up to it,so we decided not to bother,but well done to anyone who has done it.
The queue to visit the Queen's coffin on 10:59 - Sep 17 with 7014 viewsDavieQPR

Personally. whilst it is a shame when anybody dies, it does not affect me at all. I have no feelings one way or the other. Royalty moves in a completely different world than I do. Expect a lot in the queue are remembering their own lost ones and a lot are just so they can say 'I was there'
The queue to visit the Queen's coffin on 10:59 - Sep 17 with 7007 viewsSharpy36

The queue to visit the Queen's coffin on 10:48 - Sep 17 by connell10

I think the people queuing are mad , but each to their own. As for crying for someone you have never met ....come on.

Same goes for the billions across the globe that rock up to honour their God, but we do it.

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

The queue to visit the Queen's coffin on 11:01 - Sep 17 with 7020 views100percent

perspective:
More people attend the Notting Hill Carnival.
More people attend football matches each weekend.

Neither of which get the full blown television and media coverage that has been ever present over the last week.
Each to their own, I respect that people wish to make their feelings known.
I will observe the silence today but will not be singing along to the national anthem.
The queue to visit the Queen's coffin on 11:09 - Sep 17 with 6963 viewsQPR_John

The queue to visit the Queen's coffin on 11:01 - Sep 17 by 100percent

perspective:

Neither of which get the full blown television and media coverage that has been ever present over the last week.
I will observe the silence today but will not be singing along to the national anthem.

“ I will observe the silence today but will not be singing along to the national anthem.”

Do you considered a National Anthem an outdated idea or just the current one. If the latter would you sing along were we a republic
The queue to visit the Queen's coffin on 11:17 - Sep 17 with 6939 views222gers

The queue to visit the Queen's coffin on 11:09 - Sep 17 by QPR_John

“ I will observe the silence today but will not be singing along to the national anthem.”

Do you considered a National Anthem an outdated idea or just the current one. If the latter would you sing along were we a republic

I telephoned the club this morning John, to remind them that I require God Save The King to be played in the key of C Major as this better suits my vocal range.
The queue to visit the Queen's coffin on 11:18 - Sep 17 with 6918 viewsRanger_Things

This bloke has worked out an interesting solution to the horrific queues at Westminster Hall.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cij_tCKh7yE/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=
The queue to visit the Queen's coffin on 11:20 - Sep 17 with 6907 viewsQPR_John

The queue to visit the Queen's coffin on 11:17 - Sep 17 by 222gers

I telephoned the club this morning John, to remind them that I require God Save The King to be played in the key of C Major as this better suits my vocal range.

I don’t think any key would save you from my attempts at singing
The queue to visit the Queen's coffin on 11:22 - Sep 17 with 6899 viewsdistortR

The queue to visit the Queen's coffin on 11:18 - Sep 17 by Ranger_Things

This bloke has worked out an interesting solution to the horrific queues at Westminster Hall.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cij_tCKh7yE/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

'horrific'?
Is that a new euphemism for long?

Could work in one context, I suppose..............
The queue to visit the Queen's coffin on 11:25 - Sep 17 with 6869 viewsSonofpugwash

I've been watching the live coverage,all those disparate people bowing,quite touching.Only one nutter so far, quickly repelled.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

The queue to visit the Queen's coffin on 11:30 - Sep 17 with 6853 viewsMalintabuk

Reading this thread and I have found the 2 subjects most argued over are religion and politics
I have never considered myself a Royalist but I'm more than happy to continue with the head of State being a Windsor
IMO as soon as we start to "vote" for a head of State we start to politicise it.
We know that elections are now influenced by social media, by outside influences and rogue and not so rogue states
I would still like to think that our system is the cheque and balance system that works, rather than the USA one that basically stymies their system
I think that the Royal family will go through a period of evolution over the next few years.
And not in my lifetime but in my grand children's life it will be a totally different entity
But for now the mourning of a woman who 2 days before her death still carried out her duty tells me more than anything.
She was a special woman for this country, and whether we get royal or a Blair/Johnson as head of state .... she will be a hard act to follow
The queue to visit the Queen's coffin on 11:36 - Sep 17 with 6814 viewsjoe90

The queue to visit the Queen's coffin on 11:01 - Sep 17 by 100percent

perspective:

A superficial view, I really hope you don’t apply the same depth of thought to other stats.
The queue to visit the Queen's coffin on 12:07 - Sep 17 with 6718 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I was going to pop up there later and go to the queue for people with disabilities but alas, and somewhat ironically, done a hamstring and would struggle to queue for even a couple of hours.

I’m not a royalist, but I think she was a paragon of duty and service that frankly, her kith and kin have failed to achieve. That said, I think Charles has really risen to the challenge over the last week.

While the Queen’s passing has raised the call for an elected head of state, the fact is the Queen has conducted herself to such a high standard over the last 70 years, that many elected officials have failed miserably to attain any sort of standard that could be remotely seen as exemplary. I think we’ll miss her.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

The queue to visit the Queen's coffin on 12:09 - Sep 17 with 6717 viewsDiscodroids

The queue to visit the Queen's coffin on 10:48 - Sep 17 by connell10

Alas i never met Bowie, but i cried when he passed . Rik Mayall, George Cole, Dennis Hopper and Bobby Moore as well off the top of my head.

I'll register any further emotional irregualities via form THX 1138 at my local Leigh On Sea Sensory offenders public enlightenment Division in sector 4a quadrant7c , Just next to the Sarah Moore Boozer.

Any further decadent displays of Sensorial stimulation will be suppressed with a dose of Prozium II . This will be administered via a long vein direct into the pineal gland by a sense crime cleric while one sits munching Soylent Green in a floation tank, as an apocalyptic Jim Jones sermon thunders out over the Tannoy.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2022 12:30]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

The queue to visit the Queen's coffin on 12:30 - Sep 17 with 6648 viewsDamo1962

The queue to visit the Queen's coffin on 11:30 - Sep 17 by Malintabuk

Reading this thread and I have found the 2 subjects most argued over are religion and politics
I have never considered myself a Royalist but I'm more than happy to continue with the head of State being a Windsor
IMO as soon as we start to "vote" for a head of State we start to politicise it.
We know that elections are now influenced by social media, by outside influences and rogue and not so rogue states
I would still like to think that our system is the cheque and balance system that works, rather than the USA one that basically stymies their system
I think that the Royal family will go through a period of evolution over the next few years.
And not in my lifetime but in my grand children's life it will be a totally different entity
But for now the mourning of a woman who 2 days before her death still carried out her duty tells me more than anything.
She was a special woman for this country, and whether we get royal or a Blair/Johnson as head of state .... she will be a hard act to follow

This. I was ambivalent about the Monarchy... but not anymore. Think Charles will be a good King, and his son even better.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024