Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hodgson's England 10:34 - Mar 26 with 26165 viewsBlackCrowe

Honestly don't think i can be bothered to watch tonight.

3 months away, Hodgson should start playing as close to a first team as possible now. Time for mass scale experimentation passed a fair while ago IMO.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Hodgson's England on 17:31 - Mar 28 with 2626 viewsDylanP

Hodgson's England on 19:12 - Mar 27 by paulparker

Really I must have missed the last World Cup
Come the Euros we will be watching Rooney & Milner plodding around , Hodgson is a defensive coach and should have been sacked after Brazil, last night was a one off we won't get past the group stages

Maybe with the benefit of hindsight we will look back at that world cup and see it as the beginning of a new generation of England footballers. The team was disjointed and not very cohesive. But there were a lot of first timers and young 'uns in that team and maybe, just maybe, the experience of competing in a world cup will be the foundation for things to come. Glass half full, and all that

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Hodgson's England on 02:54 - Mar 29 with 2527 viewstimcocking

Come the Euros we will be watching Rooney & Milner plodding around , Hodgson is a defensive coach and should have been sacked after Brazil, last night was a one off we won't get past the group stages

Lol, fair enough Paul, England have been so rubbish for a while, easy to see why you're so pessimistic. And quite likely correct.

In our last 18 matches, though, we have 14 wins and 3 draws. Beaten France, beaten Germany, drawn with Brazil. Not too bad. England will get through the group easily.

Personally, I'm unhappy Wales are in England's group. It's a bit of a lose - lose match for me that one being Cardiff born.
Hodgson's England on 09:36 - Mar 29 with 2462 viewssimmo

Still don't understand the hate for Welbeck and England, always plays well at international level and he's the best in the team at winning possession high up the pitch, which this new England seems to want to try and do now (like Tottenham, Liverpool, Leicester, etc).

Alli looks a sensation, I'd pick him over Barkley at 10 atm as I am not sure they can play together in this system. That would be my central 3 though and Sterling for Lallana probably my front 6.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Hodgson's England on 09:53 - Mar 29 with 2454 viewsadhoc_qpr

I really enjoyed that England performance and will be interested to see how we play tonight, was it a one off?

Trouble is, put Rooney into that team either as a the lone striker or number 10 and it all falls apart - the press only works when everyone does it and Rooney's appalling hold up play, poor positioning and constant loss of possession will scupper this style of play.
Hodgson's England on 09:53 - Mar 29 with 2454 viewsElHoop

Some of the passing and movement against Germany was of a quality that I'm not used to seeing from an England side. I don't see us winning the Euros but hopefully enough of the younger players will get a chance. The extra 8 teams has helped us I think, as it's made qualifying a little bit easier and enabled us to experiment a bit. Same goes for the finals. Hodgson could muck it up to start with but we could still get out of the group. We have a lot of players to sort out and the further we go in the tournament the better we will be in relative terms. We're definitely a work in progress and Hodgson presumably wants to either keep his job or go when he wants to go, so you can hardly blame him if to some extent he sticks to the tried and trusted, but I would hope that he'll ditch that approach if it isn't working.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2016 11:03]
Hodgson's England on 10:49 - Mar 29 with 2426 viewsKonk

I wouldn’t agree with that at all. Hodgson has shown repeatedly that he’s very good at getting the best out of players and producing teams that are greater than the sum of their parts; chat to Fulham, WBA, Switzerland or Finland fans and they’ll tell you what a good coach he is. Liverpool was never the right fit for him due to his profile, their deluded fans and problems off the pitch at the time with the owners; even “King Kenny” did a sh it job there once the Liverpool supporters had got their way. And not only is he a good coach, he’s also a top bloke and the antithesis of some/most of the bull-shi tters and whingers who manage in this country.

Hodgson is all about shape and discipline — everyone knows where they’re supposed to be and is expected to stick to the plan. At Fulham, when we lost possession everyone quickly slotted into position and made it difficult for the opposition to break through the midfield or from the wings, but we also played some great stuff going forward and took the game to plenty of far bigger clubs in the PL and Europe under Roy. Having watched a number of coaches and players producing a shambolic performances at Fulham over the past few years, I would give anything to have someone of Hodgson’s ability managing us now.

I’m really hoping that he goes with the youngsters, but understand why he may want some older heads amongst them. Either way, I'll always love Roy.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Hodgson's England on 11:04 - Mar 29 with 2410 viewsJuzzie

The 'Golden Generation' were a joke. Whoever coined that phrase should be shot.

They may have all been good at club level but when it came to International Tournaments they were a joke.

The World Cup in 2006 we had the highest valued squad in the whole tournament yet failed miserably. If ever there was a time to succeed, that one was it.

Rooney has scored 6 tournament goals. ( 1 in the WC, 5 in the Euro's).
Banging them in against Moldova in qualifiers is all very well but his record against the big teams is woeful.
He simply should not be going this summer.

If Roy picks him because of 'experience' it's a wasted place. It's not like the players are travelling half way around the world, it's a short hop over the Channel.

As the saying goes, "if they're good enough, they're old enough". Rooney will just be an unneeded distraction IMO.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2016 11:09]
Hodgson's England on 11:04 - Mar 29 with 2410 viewsadhoc_qpr

Hodgson's England on 10:49 - Mar 29 by Konk

I wouldn’t agree with that at all. Hodgson has shown repeatedly that he’s very good at getting the best out of players and producing teams that are greater than the sum of their parts; chat to Fulham, WBA, Switzerland or Finland fans and they’ll tell you what a good coach he is. Liverpool was never the right fit for him due to his profile, their deluded fans and problems off the pitch at the time with the owners; even “King Kenny” did a sh it job there once the Liverpool supporters had got their way. And not only is he a good coach, he’s also a top bloke and the antithesis of some/most of the bull-shi tters and whingers who manage in this country.

Hodgson is all about shape and discipline — everyone knows where they’re supposed to be and is expected to stick to the plan. At Fulham, when we lost possession everyone quickly slotted into position and made it difficult for the opposition to break through the midfield or from the wings, but we also played some great stuff going forward and took the game to plenty of far bigger clubs in the PL and Europe under Roy. Having watched a number of coaches and players producing a shambolic performances at Fulham over the past few years, I would give anything to have someone of Hodgson’s ability managing us now.

I’m really hoping that he goes with the youngsters, but understand why he may want some older heads amongst them. Either way, I'll always love Roy.

Yes but for all that experience Roy got it badly wrong at the last world cup, let's hope he learnt from that humiliation when it comes to squad selection and tactics this time around.

He's not really put a foot wrong since then, but i do think his loyalty to Rooney, Milner et al over confident and in form unproven/younger players could cost him again.
Login to get fewer ads

Hodgson's England on 11:04 - Mar 29 with 2410 views1BobbyHazell

Hodgson's England on 09:36 - Mar 29 by simmo

Still don't understand the hate for Welbeck and England, always plays well at international level and he's the best in the team at winning possession high up the pitch, which this new England seems to want to try and do now (like Tottenham, Liverpool, Leicester, etc).

Alli looks a sensation, I'd pick him over Barkley at 10 atm as I am not sure they can play together in this system. That would be my central 3 though and Sterling for Lallana probably my front 6.

I don't dislike Wellbeck like some, but right now I'd say he's behind a few others in the pecking order for the out wide positions. He has previously been the best at harassing defenders up the pitch but on Saturday Lallana and Vardy were better than him at it.

He's not quite match fit at the moment and it showed a little on Saturday, I think Roy has even alluded in the press that he hopes the likes of him and Sturridge get plenty of game time between now and the euros to get them up to speed. His sheer athleticism has often seen him picked ahead of others so if he's not at the top of that part of his game I think he's an impact sub at best.

Would love to see Alli and Barkley in the same midfield but that's more likely to happen if we're chasing a game.

I read the other day that 11 of England's last 19 debutants have been coached by Pottechino, blimey!
Hodgson's England on 11:16 - Mar 29 with 2382 viewsaston_hoop

The problem some people seem to have now is that we have young hungry players, some of them aren't even particularly unlikeable, they are getting game time and playing well, we are winning games, we are looking very well placed for the future so now we have to blame Roy for something he might do. Just bloody enjoy it or go on a nice summer holiday while the tournament is on!

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Hodgson's England on 11:18 - Mar 29 with 2377 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Hodgson's England on 11:16 - Mar 29 by aston_hoop

The problem some people seem to have now is that we have young hungry players, some of them aren't even particularly unlikeable, they are getting game time and playing well, we are winning games, we are looking very well placed for the future so now we have to blame Roy for something he might do. Just bloody enjoy it or go on a nice summer holiday while the tournament is on!

At least it gives foreigners and benefit claimants some time off.
Hodgson's England on 11:29 - Mar 29 with 2361 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Imagine trying to do your job while national newspapers are sticking your head on a turnip, or setting you up with fake sheikhs, or rooting through your dustbin to see if you're playing away on the missus.

And shame on those of you who read them.

Tabloid press are the biggest stumbling block for England, not the players.
Hodgson's England on 11:32 - Mar 29 with 2347 viewspaulparker

Konk I understand you loyalty to Roy, after all he did wonders at Fulham
and yes he was always on a hiding to nothing at Liverpool especially with the squad he had and Dogleish touting himself for the job in the stands
for me the Euros 4 years ago was a perfect chance to go with some different players
he didn't do that, we were rank bar that Sweden game and lost to a poor Italian team and actually were clinging on for life in that game
the World cup was a disaster because he again he didn't have a game plan and played rooney out wide just to get him in the side, we lost basic goals at set pieces and the big punt down the field , sunday league stuff that ,
can you say what our formation is, can you say what style of play we have, I can't
people are going overboard with this last performance and the last qualifying campaign
bar Saturdays game the football under hodgson has been dire
if roy does drop Rooney, Milner , Wilshire and plays the same side minus lallana then he gets my full support, the problem is he wont he doesn't have the balls to do it

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Hodgson's England on 11:35 - Mar 29 with 2351 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I rarely bother to watch England, less so international football and as for European club football, forget it.

Last year living as I was in France, an expat chum asked how I fared in the ballot? I hadn't a clue what he was going on about and while I might have subconsciously known the Euros were in France this year, I wasn't the least bit bothered about the event.

So, with the wife jetlagged on Saturday and being stuck indoors with sod all on the box, I tuned into the game from Berlin and was pretty much enthralled from the off!

We were excellent and I don't think I've seen a better display in a friendly for eons. Our movement with and without the ball was first rate. Energy levels and overall zip were equally pleasing to see and the fact we played really well, was a revelation.

I am still of the view that Smalling is an accident waiting to happen and if he can tighten that central pairing, it would go someway to making us harder to beat at the back. I would be maddened if the ineffective Rooney simply walked back into the starting XI on name and not merit. Same for the vastly overrated Sterling and the injured delicates from Arsenal - leave them on the bench and go with the youth!

There is of course, both a long way to go and Saturday wasn't tournament footy. The Germans will likely be a different proposition come the start of the event and our games will be far harder. But fair play to Roy, he doesn't have the biggest number of players to choose from these days compared to his predecessors, but what he has got on Saturday's evidence, is a good looking team taking shape.

Bit of luck along the way, and we could make a real go of it compared to previous forlorn efforts. I appreciate he will change things around tonight to give the others some game time, but I am looking forward to it.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Hodgson's England on 12:22 - Mar 29 with 2302 viewstimcocking

Hodgson's England on 11:04 - Mar 29 by Juzzie

The 'Golden Generation' were a joke. Whoever coined that phrase should be shot.

They may have all been good at club level but when it came to International Tournaments they were a joke.

The World Cup in 2006 we had the highest valued squad in the whole tournament yet failed miserably. If ever there was a time to succeed, that one was it.

Rooney has scored 6 tournament goals. ( 1 in the WC, 5 in the Euro's).
Banging them in against Moldova in qualifiers is all very well but his record against the big teams is woeful.
He simply should not be going this summer.

If Roy picks him because of 'experience' it's a wasted place. It's not like the players are travelling half way around the world, it's a short hop over the Channel.

As the saying goes, "if they're good enough, they're old enough". Rooney will just be an unneeded distraction IMO.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2016 11:09]

"He simply should not be going this summer"

Fair enough if you don't rate him, but I think if you asked the question "is Rooney good enough to be in the England squad this summer" to all the players and managers in the league, I'd predict that 100% of them would answer yes of course he is.
Hodgson's England on 12:52 - Mar 29 with 2267 viewsadhoc_qpr

Rooney's 11 goals since the last world cup have been scored against:

Norway (Friendly)
San Marino x 2 (in 2 matches)
Estonia,
Slovenia
Scotland x 2 (Friendly)
Lituania x 2 (in 2 matches)
Switzerland
France (Friendly)

The Swiss are the only team in the world top 20...

I firmly believe that any of Kane, Vardy, Welbeck, Sturridge, Austin, Ings, Walcott or Carroll even would have scored a similar amount if they'd played in those games!
Hodgson's England on 12:56 - Mar 29 with 2254 viewssimmo

Hodgson's England on 12:22 - Mar 29 by timcocking

Fair enough if you don't rate him, but I think if you asked the question "is Rooney good enough to be in the England squad this summer" to all the players and managers in the league, I'd predict that 100% of them would answer yes of course he is.

Englands best and most dynamic performance for years with an energetic forward line including Welbeck, Kane, Alli (average age 22)

Man United upturn in form with a young, energetic and dynamic front 3 of Martial, Lingard, Rashford (average age 21)

Both possible because Rooney was not there to be picked.

Leicester and Tottenham are 1st and 2nd in the league, do you think Rooney would get in their teams? He doesn't suit their play and for the same reasons he doesn't suit Englands. He's a faded player in poor form - if it wasn't for his name this wouldn't even be up for discussion.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Hodgson's England on 13:07 - Mar 29 with 2228 views1BobbyHazell

Hodgson's England on 12:56 - Mar 29 by simmo

Englands best and most dynamic performance for years with an energetic forward line including Welbeck, Kane, Alli (average age 22)

Man United upturn in form with a young, energetic and dynamic front 3 of Martial, Lingard, Rashford (average age 21)

Both possible because Rooney was not there to be picked.

Leicester and Tottenham are 1st and 2nd in the league, do you think Rooney would get in their teams? He doesn't suit their play and for the same reasons he doesn't suit Englands. He's a faded player in poor form - if it wasn't for his name this wouldn't even be up for discussion.

Add to that the fact that he's out until mid April at the earliest giving him very few games to get fit (if Man U even start him).

The idea of a half fit Rooney lumbering around the park ruining all the benefits of the 'whole being greater than the sum of its parts' that we saw on Saturday doesn't bear thinking about!!

I reckon Roy will have no choice but to see it that way too.
Hodgson's England on 13:29 - Mar 29 with 2198 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Hodgson's England on 12:52 - Mar 29 by adhoc_qpr

Rooney's 11 goals since the last world cup have been scored against:

Norway (Friendly)
San Marino x 2 (in 2 matches)
Estonia,
Slovenia
Scotland x 2 (Friendly)
Lituania x 2 (in 2 matches)
Switzerland
France (Friendly)

The Swiss are the only team in the world top 20...

I firmly believe that any of Kane, Vardy, Welbeck, Sturridge, Austin, Ings, Walcott or Carroll even would have scored a similar amount if they'd played in those games!

Expecting Andy Carroll to have played eight games in two years is a bloody big ask...but I get your point!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Hodgson's England on 14:06 - Mar 29 with 2147 viewsJuzzie

Hodgson's England on 12:22 - Mar 29 by timcocking

Of course they'd say that because they're all too afraid to diss Saint Rooney. Everyone is media trained to say only positive things and use the word 'challenging' instead of 'problem', for example.

I'd wager they actually think the opposite.
Hodgson's England on 15:47 - Mar 29 with 2059 viewsToast_R

I can't get my head round Milner. What does he actually do other then put his head down, run around a lot and give the ball away?

Liverpool fans and those in the media were brandishing his signing as the deal of last summer. Odd for a player so is so bang average at best.

As for Rooney, I guess time will tell. I don't think he can be written off just yet but I do believe the competition for a place might just bring out the best in him towards the end of the season. He's gone a bit stale at Man United and should have gone elsewhere after he kicked off after their last Premier league title under Fergie. Moanrhino wanted him a season ago and I reckon that would have been a good move for him.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2016 15:55]
Hodgson's England on 15:55 - Mar 29 with 2046 viewspaulparker

Hodgson's England on 15:47 - Mar 29 by Toast_R

I can't get my head round Milner. What does he actually do other then put his head down, run around a lot and give the ball away?

Liverpool fans and those in the media were brandishing his signing as the deal of last summer. Odd for a player so is so bang average at best.

As for Rooney, I guess time will tell. I don't think he can be written off just yet but I do believe the competition for a place might just bring out the best in him towards the end of the season. He's gone a bit stale at Man United and should have gone elsewhere after he kicked off after their last Premier league title under Fergie. Moanrhino wanted him a season ago and I reckon that would have been a good move for him.

awful player, he actually had the cheek to come and say that if he wasn't going to be in the England first team he would think twice about being picked for the squad ,
seriously 20-30- years ago he would have been lucky to play for Coventry
for quite a while I have been saying Rooney would be better suited to playing in midfield
as a forward he is shot but as a midfielder I think he could adapt his game like scholes did

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Hodgson's England on 16:39 - Mar 29 with 2014 viewsdaveB

Hodgson's England on 15:47 - Mar 29 by Toast_R

He can be decent in central midfield at club level but wouldn't have him in the starting 11 for England.

i think with Rooney the fact he is no longer a certain starter and has to fight for his place might get the best out of him. I'd take him to the Euros but wouldn't start him in every game.
Hodgson's England on 17:32 - Mar 29 with 1967 viewsHendonHoop

I think the nail has been firmly hit on the head earlier with the word " Stale ". That has recently summed it up for me. The last few games and the newish players recently brought into the Squad seem really fresh and full of new ideas and an great appetite that we have not seen for some while. They all seemed to want to sing the National Anthem against Germany, rather than standing there looking like it was not cool to be seen singing it or they really would rather be doing better things than playing for England as it is rather a chore. To me, the likes of Rooney and some of the others have done very well and got the team qualified like never before with no defeats and maybe its a bit harsh to cast them aside, but this new young Squad may have been the refreshing future that England have been crying out for over many long stagnant boring years.
Hodgson's England on 20:41 - Mar 29 with 1912 viewsLblock

Much of the weekends positivity has evaporated in 40 minutes tonight

My pet hate project at the moment is James Fckin Milner
How is this fella anywhere near a full squad let alone Captain of the Nation?!?!!!
Awful player

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024