Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hodgson's England 10:34 - Mar 26 with 26164 viewsBlackCrowe

Honestly don't think i can be bothered to watch tonight.

3 months away, Hodgson should start playing as close to a first team as possible now. Time for mass scale experimentation passed a fair while ago IMO.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Hodgson's England on 20:48 - Mar 29 with 2229 viewsBrightonhoop

Vardy's not bad though, very cool head.

Dont think Charlie Austin has a hope in hell in getting into this squad, as an aside.
Hodgson's England on 20:56 - Mar 29 with 2209 viewsDrewster

Hodgson's England on 20:48 - Mar 29 by Brightonhoop

Vardy's not bad though, very cool head.

Dont think Charlie Austin has a hope in hell in getting into this squad, as an aside.

He's not getting in the saints team at the moment is he? Let alone ingerlund
Hodgson's England on 21:04 - Mar 29 with 2196 viewsaston_hoop

Hodgson's England on 20:56 - Mar 29 by Drewster

He's not getting in the saints team at the moment is he? Let alone ingerlund

He is injured to be fair to him! If Wayne Rooney being dropped means him as a pundit, just bloody pick him in the squad. It really ain't that bad is it?

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Hodgson's England on 21:54 - Mar 29 with 2119 viewskensalriser

Netherlands have shut down this game convincingly. Bit like watching QPR this season and their ever more inventive ways to lose games, what with the comedy act by Stones and the ridiculous giving away of the penalty.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Hodgson's England on 22:02 - Mar 29 with 2061 viewspaulparker

Normal service resumed by Roy
4-4-2 with Milner out wide , sideways passing with a hoof in to touch
Turgid stuff indeed against the worst Dutch team in history
Lalana is pony , walker is now a shadow of the player he was 4 years ago
Stones is an accident waiting to happen
And as for Milner he is the joey Barton of international football
Every corner and free kick straight to the keeper
As I've said we won't get out of the group stages with dinosaur Hodgson in charge

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Hodgson's England on 22:10 - Mar 29 with 2041 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I thought we were hard done by as Roy said. A draw at least would have been fair.

Anyway, don't let me disturb your wallowing.
Hodgson's England on 22:18 - Mar 29 with 2015 viewsLblock

Whilst Woy is your atypical England Manager and his teams invariably as grey as him and his bosses suits I do think the issues are a bit deeper.

We have a few decent young un's but still a woefully unbalanced squad
The press will see to it that the kids like Ali end up thinking they are the dogs danglies and revert to Prem swagger type and to hell with actually working hard
If not their clubs will do all they can to keep them away from the international stage

Then there's Wembley and Tuesday / Friday fixtures.
You'd be hard pressed to find a stadium as "full" as Wembley that can replicate or be worse than the Emirates on matchday. Okay you've got rid of the "undesireables" and replaced them with Kev, Sally and their 2.4 kids plus some "culturally reflective" demograph but you've created a vacuum, a totally uninspiring void where players at the pinnacle can easily hide rather than a raucous cauldren. No spirit on or off the pitch

There's still a dearth of world class players in this country who are English. Exhibit A for the prosecution "I give you James Fckin Milner as Captain"
(Have I mentioned I'm not James Fckin Milners biggest fan before???)

Anyway, roll on the silly flags from car windows, a face painted fan on every 12 pack of Carsleberg, dig out your Baddiel & Skinner CD and await the super soaraway Sun's cut out and eep Wayne Rooney face mask --- here comes another short summer tournament and the further ruination of another generation. I'll still be supporting but certainly not in my washed out looking grey / blue skin tight lycra replica shirt.

We could win this.... Nurse!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Hodgson's England on 22:23 - Mar 29 with 1999 viewsLblock

Hodgson's England on 22:10 - Mar 29 by BazzaInTheLoft

I thought we were hard done by as Roy said. A draw at least would have been fair.

Anyway, don't let me disturb your wallowing.

That was a pen.
The one early in 1st half was a pen and Rose got lucky there
The challenge on Jagelkia was very firm but he was outstrengthed -- even though usually that would be a free kick -- Mr Ward in his marbot trainers, whistle on a bootlace and Geography homework in back pocket must've drummed into these superstars on the school pitch "Play tet whistle lad, play tet whistle" No?

A draw wouldn't of disgraced either team
Im not even worried we lost
I am however growing further away from the England set up more and more each game.
Will I use my ticket on 20th June??? Mmmmmmmmmm

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Login to get fewer ads

Hodgson's England on 22:26 - Mar 29 with 1991 viewsbosh67

Never really got going tonight. A bit slow through midfield but the main things from the two games for me are...
1. Our defence is slack and needs tightening up
2. We're not that bad if we concentrate on attacking at pace

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Hodgson's England on 22:44 - Mar 29 with 1946 viewsdaveB

In fairness to Hodgson he does give players a chance and has kind of gone away from the certain starters routine that we've had under the last few managers with Terry, Lampard, gerrard, Beckham, rooney etc all starting no matter how their form was or if they suited the shape of the team. Hodgson has moved away from that and I think only really Hart and possibly Smalling and Dier look certain starters to me this summer. He has a lot of different options for the rest of the team and does seem to use them as well.

tonight was more of a b team than Saturdays and thought we played ok in patches, draw would have been fair. I thought Drinkwater had a good game after a poor start and the Dutch number 6 who marked Barkley out of the game was good for them. Probably does England a favour to lose one after Saturday so expectations are lowered.

I think England will do ok this summer, probably our best squad of players for 10 years although I can't see us making a great team out of what we have, too many of the better players all in the same position but think we'll get to the quarters possibly the semi final.

On Rooney though I think Hodgson should leave him out of the 1st game, it's a tough call but if we win that first game without him pressure is off and he can carry on without him using him as a sub, if we lose then he can come back in.

Problem with Rooney is if he starts first game and doesn't play well he'll have to stay in as it's a bigger story to drop him after one game as in the last few tournaments and Hodgson will feel he has to back him.
Hodgson's England on 23:16 - Mar 29 with 1921 viewsDorse

Are we $hit again then? Too good to last...

I'd love to see Roy (proverbially, obviously) bare his buttocks to the world and use the team / formation / lucky dip that he thinks would still be a good shout in 2020. What has he got to lose? We haven't won anything since before I was born - there's hardly a legacy FFS. Have some fun with it!

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Hodgson's England on 23:51 - Mar 29 with 1886 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Hodgson's England on 23:16 - Mar 29 by Dorse

I'd love to see Roy (proverbially, obviously) bare his buttocks to the world and use the team / formation / lucky dip that he thinks would still be a good shout in 2020. What has he got to lose? We haven't won anything since before I was born - there's hardly a legacy FFS. Have some fun with it!

Basically a four year pre season.
Hodgson's England on 00:22 - Mar 30 with 1857 views1BobbyHazell

We were comfortably the best team. Very unlucky pen and a definite foul so no genuine mistakes from the defence. Controlled the game whilst struggling to break down a very well drilled and disciplined Dutch defense. Vardy and Sturridge don't make a great pairing in a game where they receive the ball with their back to goal most of the time, they won't be the front 2 again.

Drinkwater looked calm and positive in possession, hope he gets in the squad. Fraser Forster was good too.

Our goal was brilliant, fantastic composure and decision making by Lallana and Walker.

Stones is still so young, his defending will improve. His ability to bring the ball out will be priceless. A lot of class , nobody's perfect.

8 changes from Saturday, another good test on the learning curve. I'm enjoying the ride with absolutely no expectation of any success.
Hodgson's England on 01:06 - Mar 30 with 1834 viewsBlackCrowe

Hodgson's England on 22:18 - Mar 29 by Lblock

Whilst Woy is your atypical England Manager and his teams invariably as grey as him and his bosses suits I do think the issues are a bit deeper.

We have a few decent young un's but still a woefully unbalanced squad
The press will see to it that the kids like Ali end up thinking they are the dogs danglies and revert to Prem swagger type and to hell with actually working hard
If not their clubs will do all they can to keep them away from the international stage

Then there's Wembley and Tuesday / Friday fixtures.
You'd be hard pressed to find a stadium as "full" as Wembley that can replicate or be worse than the Emirates on matchday. Okay you've got rid of the "undesireables" and replaced them with Kev, Sally and their 2.4 kids plus some "culturally reflective" demograph but you've created a vacuum, a totally uninspiring void where players at the pinnacle can easily hide rather than a raucous cauldren. No spirit on or off the pitch

There's still a dearth of world class players in this country who are English. Exhibit A for the prosecution "I give you James Fckin Milner as Captain"
(Have I mentioned I'm not James Fckin Milners biggest fan before???)

Anyway, roll on the silly flags from car windows, a face painted fan on every 12 pack of Carsleberg, dig out your Baddiel & Skinner CD and await the super soaraway Sun's cut out and eep Wayne Rooney face mask --- here comes another short summer tournament and the further ruination of another generation. I'll still be supporting but certainly not in my washed out looking grey / blue skin tight lycra replica shirt.

We could win this.... Nurse!

You forgot about England's no.1 fans, the brass band. The appallingness that can only be equalled by FreeSeatPete and his drum for utter embarrassment.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Hodgson's England on 09:31 - Mar 30 with 1736 viewsdaveB

Hodgson's England on 23:16 - Mar 29 by Dorse

We can't keep writing off tournaments. We've got a squad who can beat anyone if they click and play well. They probably won't win it but should be aiming to get to the semis at least. Countries like Poland are expecting the semi finals so not sure why we should write it off
Hodgson's England on 10:15 - Mar 30 with 1709 viewspaulparker

Hodgson's England on 09:31 - Mar 30 by daveB

We can't keep writing off tournaments. We've got a squad who can beat anyone if they click and play well. They probably won't win it but should be aiming to get to the semis at least. Countries like Poland are expecting the semi finals so not sure why we should write it off

totally agree with that Dave B , we have the squad, actually the best squad in about 12 years , but as long as we have dinosaur roy in charge we wont go anywhere
last night summed up the 4 years in charge of having him as manager
bar the Germany game the other night and possibly the Swiss & scotland away games, every other England match has been boring , predictable , tripe
its like watching the Harry redknapp promotion team

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Hodgson's England on 11:04 - Mar 30 with 1686 viewsstevec

They talk about Stones like he's some sort of Beckenbaeur, all he does is slow the game down to snails pace.

Centre backs are for putting the ball, the player, anything that gets in the way, into the stands. On that understanding, midfielders get the message that the only way is forward instead of taking the easy way out and back passing non stop.
Hodgson's England on 11:06 - Mar 30 with 1688 viewsadhoc_qpr

Anyone else think the Germany performance was not really down to Roy but more likely because the team was stocked with Spurs, Soton and Liverpool (ex Soton) players who had been well drilled to play that way by Pochettino?

The high press and quick passing worked with those players, but didn't work at all when you have the likes of Milner, Barkley, Sturridge etc in basically a 4-4-2.

A bit uncharitable maybe, but i suspect some truth!
Hodgson's England on 11:42 - Mar 30 with 1649 viewsStraightR

Hodgson's England on 01:06 - Mar 30 by BlackCrowe

You forgot about England's no.1 fans, the brass band. The appallingness that can only be equalled by FreeSeatPete and his drum for utter embarrassment.

This, absolutely. I was sitting a few rows below them last night.

That aside, I quite enjoyed the game. I have no expectations for the tournament but it is good to see that the national side has some promising young players. I just hope Hodgson gives some of them a chance when the time comes.
Hodgson's England on 11:47 - Mar 30 with 1639 viewsdaveB

Hodgson's England on 11:06 - Mar 30 by adhoc_qpr

Anyone else think the Germany performance was not really down to Roy but more likely because the team was stocked with Spurs, Soton and Liverpool (ex Soton) players who had been well drilled to play that way by Pochettino?

The high press and quick passing worked with those players, but didn't work at all when you have the likes of Milner, Barkley, Sturridge etc in basically a 4-4-2.

A bit uncharitable maybe, but i suspect some truth!

bit unfair, he has given those young players a chance and several times as well. We've had similar performances by England over the last 2 years, even in the World Cup we were fantastic for the opening 20 minutes with fast attacking football before it all went tits up.

He had to change it last night to try out different players and a different system.
Hodgson's England on 11:54 - Mar 30 with 1632 viewspaulparker

Hodgson's England on 11:47 - Mar 30 by daveB

bit unfair, he has given those young players a chance and several times as well. We've had similar performances by England over the last 2 years, even in the World Cup we were fantastic for the opening 20 minutes with fast attacking football before it all went tits up.

He had to change it last night to try out different players and a different system.

why change it though ? why put Milner on the Wing in a 4-4 2 and Lallana on the other
its dinosaur football, he has had a p1ss easy group so could experiment but when push comes to shove he is found wanting, the game has passed him by and he will revert back to negative football so we play for draws rather than win
can you actually describe our style of play under him ?
and im sorry Dave but giving a bloke another tournament because we had a good 20 minutes in one game is madness what about the other games in that tournament , we were the worst side at that World cup
I honestly think we wont get out of our group at the Euros , then what will be the excuse

Hodgson's England on 11:56 - Mar 30 with 1630 viewsadhoc_qpr

Hodgson's England on 11:47 - Mar 30 by daveB

I think last night should have given Roy some clear ideas about what not to do at least!

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't dreadful and we certainly didn't deserve to lose - but it was back to the kind of stodgy performance with the odd bit of class that is good enough to beat Lithuania and Estonia etc comfortably, but will get found out badly by anyone half decent.
Hodgson's England on 13:15 - Mar 30 with 1578 viewsPunteR

Maybe my alcohol induced ramblings earlier on this thread were wide of the mark about the game but I cant get excited about these friendly's. They're meaningless really.
I don't like the constant changing of players leading up to the tournaments. Bit like QPR,where we never had a style of play and never knew our best team. England always seems a work in progress leading up to the tournament and just bottle it during it.
I didn't see the game but sounds like the usual round plugs in square holes.
If we were so good against Germany we should have stuck with that team for the next game.Build some momentum. But Roy probably had to "rest" players or give players another England cap because their agent is demanding it.
I honestly cant be bothered with England at the moment but will jump on the bandwagon if we win our first game of the tournament,get all my hopes up again until the inevitable penalty shootout where I have to watch James Milner hit row z and millionaire footballers crying.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Hodgson's England on 13:27 - Mar 30 with 1559 viewsdaveB

Hodgson's England on 11:54 - Mar 30 by paulparker

why change it though ? why put Milner on the Wing in a 4-4 2 and Lallana on the other
its dinosaur football, he has had a p1ss easy group so could experiment but when push comes to shove he is found wanting, the game has passed him by and he will revert back to negative football so we play for draws rather than win
can you actually describe our style of play under him ?
and im sorry Dave but giving a bloke another tournament because we had a good 20 minutes in one game is madness what about the other games in that tournament , we were the worst side at that World cup
I honestly think we wont get out of our group at the Euros , then what will be the excuse

Well if we don't get out of the group I am sure he will go but I think over the 4 years we're now a better team than we were before he was manager so overall has done a decent job. I don;t see a better English candidate as I wouldn't want to go down the foreign route again.

Last night he tried the diamond midfield again, same as he did in a few qualifiers and was basically done so Vardy and Strurridge could both start. It's a system that has worked well for him before and was worth trying.
Hodgson's England on 13:42 - Mar 30 with 1536 viewspaulparker

Hodgson's England on 13:27 - Mar 30 by daveB

Well if we don't get out of the group I am sure he will go but I think over the 4 years we're now a better team than we were before he was manager so overall has done a decent job. I don;t see a better English candidate as I wouldn't want to go down the foreign route again.

Last night he tried the diamond midfield again, same as he did in a few qualifiers and was basically done so Vardy and Strurridge could both start. It's a system that has worked well for him before and was worth trying.

we have better players than 4 years ago but we are still negative , boring and lack any real cohesion as a team under Hodgson, we are the WBA of International football, boring & horrible to watch but gets the odd good result
id say Eddie Howe would be a better option than Hodgson , hell why not offer the money and get Pocchertino or Koeman , young managers with an idea of the modern game who players want to play for , it might even get the crowd going
last night was p1ss poor really and that's been the story under Roy

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024