Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Support acts better than the main acts. 13:37 - Jun 7 with 11277 viewsMonahoop

Another music post, so what it's summer and many LFW posters seem to love their music

Was there ever a concert or gig you went to where you thought the support act seemed to upstage the main act you paid good money to see? Mine was about 3 years ago at the O2 in Dublin when Clapton came to town. Andy Fairweather Low was his support act. He put life and soul into his sadly short 45 minute slot and I forgot what a good musician he was. His backing band were excellent. Then on plodded Eric, stood stutue like for an hour and a half plugging his old standards from Cream to recent stuff without any real feeling on his beloved strat, Blackie. Don't get me wrong, but I like Clapton at least most of his earlier offerings pre Lay Down Sally, but on the night I felt all he wanted to do was turn up then bugger off. There was no connection with his fans, just a cold performance. It was dull. Not good from one of the so called best guitarists alive.

Anyone else have an upstaging story?

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Support acts better than the main acts. on 19:32 - Jun 7 with 2724 viewsrobith

More recent - was into the old pop punk in me youth. Went to see Taking Back Sunday do a show at the Underworld in around 2004 I think. Support was a band no one had heard of called My Chemical Romance who absolutely blew the place apart.

Which was confusing, cos everytime I saw MCR after they got big, they were utterly woeful.

Also anyone who ever supported the Klaxons. One of the worst live bands to get hyped ever. Could barely play their instruments
Support acts better than the main acts. on 19:51 - Jun 7 with 2718 viewsderbyhoop

Saw Foals in Manchester back in March. Support was Everything, Everything. I'd seen EE in Dublin a few years ago and have the latest 2 albums. Needless to say EE were excellent and had the audience dancing in the aisles. Little to choose between the headliner and the support.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Support acts better than the main acts. on 19:59 - Jun 7 with 2713 viewsdanehoop

Support acts better than the main acts. on 14:53 - Jun 7 by Silverfoxqpr

Cardiacs supporting Marillion
Nirvana supporting Mudhoney
The Drones supporting Deerhoof
The Strokes supporting Rocket from the Crypt
REM supporting U2

Apologies lots of indie stuff, there's probably loads more, will have to rack my brains.

Silverfox,

I would have to differ on the REM U2 gig if it was the one at Milton Keynes Bowl. REM were dreadful and were bottled off stage. Now Spear of Destiny were pretty good that fay, but I really enjoyed the Ramones. Started off at front of the stage and by the end of the first number I ended up around 100 meters back.

One that I enjoyed was at the time a relatively unknown Aussie band supporting Queen at Wembley on the Its a Kind of Magic Tour. Queen were to be honest a bit dull, because they were so technically good that it didnt sound a great deal different to the album and all felt a bit overblown. That was probably what made INXS standout as the support. They played a brilliant set that really showed Huchence at his best.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2016 20:03]

Never knowingly understood

Support acts better than the main acts. on 20:04 - Jun 7 with 2704 viewsTW_R

Support acts better than the main acts. on 14:35 - Jun 7 by Dorse

Whoever supports Coldplay?

Alice in Chains blew Megadeth away at the Hammersmith Apollo
Support acts better than the main acts. on 20:06 - Jun 7 with 2704 viewsSilverfoxqpr

Support acts better than the main acts. on 19:59 - Jun 7 by danehoop

Silverfox,

I would have to differ on the REM U2 gig if it was the one at Milton Keynes Bowl. REM were dreadful and were bottled off stage. Now Spear of Destiny were pretty good that fay, but I really enjoyed the Ramones. Started off at front of the stage and by the end of the first number I ended up around 100 meters back.

One that I enjoyed was at the time a relatively unknown Aussie band supporting Queen at Wembley on the Its a Kind of Magic Tour. Queen were to be honest a bit dull, because they were so technically good that it didnt sound a great deal different to the album and all felt a bit overblown. That was probably what made INXS standout as the support. They played a brilliant set that really showed Huchence at his best.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2016 20:03]

It certainly was that very same gig Dane. Well all I can say is much like football matches we all have our different experiences, points of view etc. I thought REM were great but in my defence I was 15, drunk and worryingly had completely forgotten The Ramones even played! You're probably right then, as you were!
Support acts better than the main acts. on 22:08 - Jun 7 with 2660 viewsCroydonCaptJack

The Cure used to regularly support Siouxsie and the Banshees, they were great gigs.
Support acts better than the main acts. on 22:17 - Jun 7 with 2648 viewsloftboy

Went to see UB40 at Wembley in 1986 they were supported by a band called the blood fire posse, didn't hear much from them after, turns out back in Jamaica the lead singer was jailed cor murder.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Support acts better than the main acts. on 22:26 - Jun 7 with 2643 viewsHarbour

Support acts better than the main acts. on 19:26 - Jun 7 by hook_hoops

I remember seeing Thin Lizzy at the Greyhound in Fulham Palace Road around 1972. They opened their set with the Dr Who theme music - absolutely brilliant.

The greyhound that's was a great venue to see bands
Login to get fewer ads

Support acts better than the main acts. on 23:04 - Jun 7 with 2621 viewsBlueandWhiteRiot

1998 Reading Festival, The Prodigy play before the Beastie Boys. Blow them of the stage. Told a friend who had been at Knebworth to see Oasis. Said the samething about The Prodigy there too.
Support acts better than the main acts. on 09:01 - Jun 8 with 2566 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Garage 19996?/7

Went to see longpigs at the garage and the support blew them away, they were called Embrace.

This was before they turned into a Glastonbury Wigan Pier act.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Support acts better than the main acts. on 09:14 - Jun 8 with 2556 viewsqpr1976

Support acts better than the main acts. on 22:08 - Jun 7 by CroydonCaptJack

The Cure used to regularly support Siouxsie and the Banshees, they were great gigs.

You got tickets for The Cure December this year CCJ ?
Support acts better than the main acts. on 12:14 - Jun 8 with 2529 viewsBostonR

Hammersmith Odeon 1978 - headliners Black Sabbath - support act Van Halen who blew the roof off! Sabbath never recovered. Amazing show.
Support acts better than the main acts. on 13:09 - Jun 8 with 2505 viewshoof_hearted

Lady Gaga supporting Take That in about 2009 ish maybe.

Take That are really good live but Lady Gaga was already known at the time and was just too good to be support. Must have been booked before she had a couple of big hits.

Yeah, I'm heterosexual - wanna make something of it?
Support acts better than the main acts. on 13:24 - Jun 8 with 2504 viewsR_from_afar

But only after extra time and penalties:

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Support acts better than the main acts. on 13:31 - Jun 8 with 2498 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Support acts better than the main acts. on 09:14 - Jun 8 by qpr1976

You got tickets for The Cure December this year CCJ ?

No mate, I don't go to many gigs now. I even passed on my beloved New Order last year.

Where are they playing?
Support acts better than the main acts. on 13:32 - Jun 8 with 2325 viewsHunterhoop

Support acts better than the main acts. on 14:46 - Jun 7 by simmo

Exactly what I was going to say, saw Oasis at Wembley a few years ago and Kasabian killed it. I'm not a huge fan of their albums but they are made for stadium gigs - quality stuff.

I was at the Toxic Towers ball too, Metallica, I think we spoke about it before. Kravitz was indeed great, so were Stereophonics.

As a side note I was at a stage at V Festival in 2001 to see Alabama 3 and saw the Avalanches set just before, they were incredible fun live.

I thought exactly the same re. Kasabian and Oasis. Can't remember the year, but probably 2005, unless they played together on the same bill again at Wembley.

Kasabian smashed it out of the park...had the whole crowd bouncing about...and then Oasis came on and just casually played their back catalogue with very little emotion and little energy in the crowd. Kasabian were far better.

I've seen them live a few times and they genuinely are an excellent live act in pretty much all sized venues.
Support acts better than the main acts. on 14:14 - Jun 8 with 2306 viewsMatch82

Saw kaiser chiefs headline at ali pali about 10 years ago. Support acts were wolfmother and the automatic, neither of whom I had heard of. Both significantly better than kaiser chiefs on that day and every day since.
Support acts better than the main acts. on 14:23 - Jun 8 with 2302 viewsTheBlob

King Crimson blew The Stones away Hyde Park 1969.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Support acts better than the main acts. on 15:13 - Jun 8 with 2292 viewsBluce_Ree

I went to see Bodycount in the mid 90s. Except I didn't. I was there for the support act, Carcass, who were berated by most of the crowd but played a blinder.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Support acts better than the main acts. on 15:46 - Jun 8 with 2275 viewshoof_hearted

Support acts better than the main acts. on 15:13 - Jun 8 by Bluce_Ree

I went to see Bodycount in the mid 90s. Except I didn't. I was there for the support act, Carcass, who were berated by most of the crowd but played a blinder.

Surely if no kunt's heard of the f@cking main act then the p!ssy support kunts being better than them is not a f@cking surprise?
Support acts better than the main acts. on 19:58 - Jun 8 with 2226 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Support acts better than the main acts. on 14:14 - Jun 8 by Match82

Saw kaiser chiefs headline at ali pali about 10 years ago. Support acts were wolfmother and the automatic, neither of whom I had heard of. Both significantly better than kaiser chiefs on that day and every day since.

Wolfmother are my favourite band.
Support acts better than the main acts. on 20:07 - Jun 8 with 2220 viewskingshill

Support acts better than the main acts. on 22:17 - Jun 7 by loftboy

Went to see UB40 at Wembley in 1986 they were supported by a band called the blood fire posse, didn't hear much from them after, turns out back in Jamaica the lead singer was jailed cor murder.

Was there too Loftboy, they were easily the highlight of the night.

Wondered why I never heard of them after, now know why...
Support acts better than the main acts. on 22:42 - Jun 8 with 2192 viewsTW_R

Support acts better than the main acts. on 15:46 - Jun 8 by hoof_hearted

Surely if no kunt's heard of the f@cking main act then the p!ssy support kunts being better than them is not a f@cking surprise?

How can someone not have heard of Bodycount? Cop Killer was a classic.
Support acts better than the main acts. on 22:46 - Jun 8 with 2190 viewsTW_R

Support acts better than the main acts. on 19:58 - Jun 8 by BazzaInTheLoft

Wolfmother are my favourite band.

Was lucky enough to see Wolfmother when I was over in Houston in March. I've been to dozens of gigs and this was the first time I'd ever seen a drummer break a snare drum head. They actually changed the snare mid-song and he didn't stop playing at any point.
Support acts better than the main acts. on 03:35 - Jun 10 with 2124 viewstimcocking

I'd have thought the chance of the support act being better is high, it is for me. Probably 50 - 50.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024