Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rangers named in sex abuse scandal 11:05 - Dec 6 with 11680 viewswelwynranger

A long term coach who died last year has been named. I knew it wouldn't be long
Rangers named in sex abuse scandal on 16:37 - Dec 6 with 3743 viewshopphoops

Rangers named in sex abuse scandal on 15:12 - Dec 6 by isawqpratwcity

I'm comfortable with what the club has said so far.

These are accusations of abuse by a man, not the club. The best way to get through it is to remember that, cooperate fully and own whatever failings the club had in dealing with the problem. And better that this happens sooner rather than later.

We can demonstrate that we believe Operation Yewtree marked a watershed in attitudes and actions. And sunlight disinfects.

Who cares about Rangers' reputation frankly. This is a wake up call to every institution that if you don't take your safeguarding responsibilities absolutely seriously you are putting children at risk.

The more that emerges the clearer it gets that the guys who came forward are real heroes, and the more hope I have that something might change.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Rangers named in sex abuse scandal on 16:50 - Dec 6 with 3710 viewsterryb

Rangers named in sex abuse scandal on 16:36 - Dec 6 by swisscottage

You have to bear in mind that in the 70s, 80s and early 90s, child sexual abuse didn't have the same focus on it that it does now, and schooling institutions were rife with peverts like Gieler.

I went to two boarding schools and it was common knowledge amongst the boys who the peverts were, but saying anything about it, got nowhere.

In both schools there was at least one house master that abused boys. The one from my first school whilst a subject of police investigations was never convicted and got away with it for decades. One house master from my second school, was convicted a few years back ... again .. nearly 25 years after his offences.

One of my friends from then tried to commit suicide, and was found passed out in the toilets from having down two bottles of whiskey .. aged 11. He never came back to school. Another of my friends committed suicide in his 20s again because of this. .. over 25 years ago, but it would never have got the headlines back then.

Society whilst not condoning this behavior, also hid it under the rug meaning abused children would have felt helpless and un-believed. their word against a teacher's.

I don't know how to reply to that swisscottage.

What a really frightening tale for you to have to tell (and to live with).

I actually think (and it could still be the case) that the main reason people got away with abuse, was such a strong disbelieve in society that it could happen to anyone we knew. Or ny anyone we knew.

I still think the adult is more likely to be believed than a child. Perhaps not this month, but last month & next month this could be the case. Even parents of abused children are quite likely to believe the denials. Better that to be true, than have to face the reality of your child having been molested!

What a shite world this is!
Rangers named in sex abuse scandal on 17:14 - Dec 6 with 3646 viewsBrianMcCarthy

You have to bear in mind that in the 70s, 80s and early 90s, child sexual abuse didn't have the same focus on it that it does now, and schooling institutions were rife with peverts like Gieler.

I went to two boarding schools and it was common knowledge amongst the boys who the peverts were, but saying anything about it, got nowhere.

In both schools there was at least one house master that abused boys. The one from my first school whilst a subject of police investigations was never convicted and got away with it for decades. One house master from my second school, was convicted a few years back ... again .. nearly 25 years after his offences.

One of my friends from then tried to commit suicide, and was found passed out in the toilets from having down two bottles of whiskey .. aged 11. He never came back to school. Another of my friends committed suicide in his 20s again because of this. .. over 25 years ago, but it would never have got the headlines back then.

Society whilst not condoning this behavior, also hid it under the rug meaning abused children would have felt helpless and un-believed. their word against a teacher's.

How sad and how tragic. Hope you are ok, Swiss.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Rangers named in sex abuse scandal on 17:18 - Dec 6 with 3635 views2Thomas2Bowles

Childline did not get started till 86

In the 70's kids had no one to turn to really, not on that sort of thing, fear of being thought of as gay (that you must have asked for it) if you admitted anything like that in a time when gay bashing even by the police would have put off most from saying anything.

Their word against an adult with litte proof.. no chance.

No one admits to even being gay in football today.

Not just in football but swimming had long been known for the pedo's, I remember something about Lime Grove baths about mid 70's, an instructor there call Bob, don't remember his last name, was a high flyer in British swimming, have been interfering with boys for years and years before he got nicked, even then a lot of the cases were dropped as the kids or their parents did not want it getting out.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2016 17:22]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Rangers named in sex abuse scandal on 17:43 - Dec 6 with 3564 viewsWatfordR

Rangers named in sex abuse scandal on 15:41 - Dec 6 by MrSheen

Also I think it would have been very difficult for players to come forward before their retirement, for fear of abuse and ridicule from fans. Sad but true.

I went to a school where a number of teachers (some of them monks!) were sent to prison years later. The rumours were around even then and some of their behaviour was very odd by today's standards, but they were clever enough to save their abuse for those they felt wouldn't tell, rather than inflicting it on every one. (I was spared on account of my ginger good looks.) There were thus very few witnesses, and even then, who would have believed a child against a man?

Think we must have gone to the same school mate.
Rangers named in sex abuse scandal on 17:49 - Dec 6 with 3542 viewsdaveB

Rangers named in sex abuse scandal on 15:41 - Dec 6 by MrSheen

Also I think it would have been very difficult for players to come forward before their retirement, for fear of abuse and ridicule from fans. Sad but true.

I went to a school where a number of teachers (some of them monks!) were sent to prison years later. The rumours were around even then and some of their behaviour was very odd by today's standards, but they were clever enough to save their abuse for those they felt wouldn't tell, rather than inflicting it on every one. (I was spared on account of my ginger good looks.) There were thus very few witnesses, and even then, who would have believed a child against a man?

That's how they get away with it, they pick on vulnerable people who won't be believed, that came across with a lot of the shows about Jimmy Saville and how he got away with it.
Rangers named in sex abuse scandal on 18:09 - Dec 6 with 3494 viewsMrSheen

Rangers named in sex abuse scandal on 17:43 - Dec 6 by WatfordR

Benny boys, we are here! Hope you escaped their clutches too.
Rangers named in sex abuse scandal on 18:11 - Dec 6 with 3488 viewsmarkrtid

Rangers named in sex abuse scandal on 17:43 - Dec 6 by WatfordR

I was abused by someone who from the our first meeting I thought didnt like me. In the short time I was aware of him he seemed unhappy being around kids.

Why he was on a weeks holiday with the Hounslow 10th Boys Brigade is a mystry to me.

It was the annual week away in Cornwall with the 10th Boys Brigade Hounslow.
I attended each Thusrsday evening and I never once see this spectacled balding bloke but that week in August, there he was.

One night he came into my tent to tell me what a naughty boys I was.
I have to admit. I had been sent to bed early for fighting. I dropped off to sleep then woke up to this man telling how naughty I was.

Months later at the Christmas Bizarre Hounslow youth centre, I see him again for only the second time. What hurt most was my mum and dad smiling and waving to him without a clue.

What hope does a nine year old have?

Thankfully I have grown up to have four handsome young lads and a drop dead gorgeous daughter who have been kept safe from people like that....I hope.
Login to get fewer ads

Rangers named in sex abuse scandal on 18:21 - Dec 6 with 3458 viewsHunterhoop

Rangers named in sex abuse scandal on 18:11 - Dec 6 by markrtid

I was abused by someone who from the our first meeting I thought didnt like me. In the short time I was aware of him he seemed unhappy being around kids.

Why he was on a weeks holiday with the Hounslow 10th Boys Brigade is a mystry to me.

It was the annual week away in Cornwall with the 10th Boys Brigade Hounslow.
I attended each Thusrsday evening and I never once see this spectacled balding bloke but that week in August, there he was.

One night he came into my tent to tell me what a naughty boys I was.
I have to admit. I had been sent to bed early for fighting. I dropped off to sleep then woke up to this man telling how naughty I was.

Months later at the Christmas Bizarre Hounslow youth centre, I see him again for only the second time. What hurt most was my mum and dad smiling and waving to him without a clue.

What hope does a nine year old have?

Thankfully I have grown up to have four handsome young lads and a drop dead gorgeous daughter who have been kept safe from people like that....I hope.

All credit to you, mate. Can't imagine suffering that, telling friends/family, and overcoming it, to live the life you deserve.
Rangers named in sex abuse scandal on 18:47 - Dec 6 with 3392 viewsPunteR

Sad to hear this.
Its horrible to see our club be involved with something like this. Of course it needs investigating to make sure the club did all it could at the time and also to make sure this never happens again.
I don't really like how its all been reported in the media though. Making it big sensationalist news. Last week Chelsea this week QPR etc. Maybe it's what men involved want? Maybe it should be exposed like this to stop this sort of thing happening again, anywhere.

End of the day its gone on everywhere from Hollywood, BBC, Sport, Government, religion and within families.
All you can do is educate your children and make them aware of the dangers but also not be be afraid but to speak out if they feel something is not right.
Planet earth can be a sad place sometimes.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2016 19:20]

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Rangers named in sex abuse scandal on 19:33 - Dec 6 with 3288 viewsPBLOCK

This whole business is absolutely terrible and hopefully a full and thorough investigation of all complaints will be undertaken and those responsible will face justice

I remember thinking at the time it was strange the club did little to mark his exit / acknowledge his death bearing in mind his service to the club ,30 odd years and the number of top players that came through the YTS. This is certainly one area the club will have to explain I would have thought.

Apart from the poor lads who suffered at the hands of these people I feel for the thousands of people who work with kids often on a voluntary basis purely out of the goodness of their heart or wanting to give something back. Dads working Monday - Friday then having the weekends taken up with running kids football teams. The people who run Brownies Cubs etc. These people are now being possibly looked at with suspicion by some which would be sad to curtail your kids enjoyment of something based on knee jerk reaction.

People like the above should be admired and praised people like Bennell and other alleged perpertrators should be punished to the hilt
Rangers named in sex abuse scandal on 20:03 - Dec 6 with 3217 viewsmarkrtid

Rangers named in sex abuse scandal on 19:33 - Dec 6 by PBLOCK

This whole business is absolutely terrible and hopefully a full and thorough investigation of all complaints will be undertaken and those responsible will face justice

I remember thinking at the time it was strange the club did little to mark his exit / acknowledge his death bearing in mind his service to the club ,30 odd years and the number of top players that came through the YTS. This is certainly one area the club will have to explain I would have thought.

Apart from the poor lads who suffered at the hands of these people I feel for the thousands of people who work with kids often on a voluntary basis purely out of the goodness of their heart or wanting to give something back. Dads working Monday - Friday then having the weekends taken up with running kids football teams. The people who run Brownies Cubs etc. These people are now being possibly looked at with suspicion by some which would be sad to curtail your kids enjoyment of something based on knee jerk reaction.

People like the above should be admired and praised people like Bennell and other alleged perpertrators should be punished to the hilt

I totaly agree.
We should be able to tell a child that they do matter in life without laying a hand on them.
There a lot of good people out there who truly care.
Rangers named in sex abuse scandal on 20:49 - Dec 6 with 3123 viewsozranger

Rangers named in sex abuse scandal on 19:33 - Dec 6 by PBLOCK

I find it amazing that these things get discussed without those who have covered up the situation not being included. In this case, it is the club (whether QPR, Saints or any other) that requires investigation. For those who are from the US they will easily remember the Sandusky case from Penn State. There while the perpetrator was caught, it was the University that suffered significantly as well as a number of high profile people - coach of gridiron team, Athletic director and one other at least. So, in the QPR case, if what is seemed to be believed that they just "pushed it all under the carpet" then there are certain people at rather high places who should have some serious questions to answer. Clubs are putting in measures as best they can now, including QPR (see their press release). However, if we are to drag out the past perpetrators we also need to dig out those people who covered it all up and they should be severely punished as well as they are nearly as bad.
Rangers named in sex abuse scandal on 00:13 - Dec 7 with 2862 viewsdavman

Rangers named in sex abuse scandal on 20:49 - Dec 6 by ozranger

I find it amazing that these things get discussed without those who have covered up the situation not being included. In this case, it is the club (whether QPR, Saints or any other) that requires investigation. For those who are from the US they will easily remember the Sandusky case from Penn State. There while the perpetrator was caught, it was the University that suffered significantly as well as a number of high profile people - coach of gridiron team, Athletic director and one other at least. So, in the QPR case, if what is seemed to be believed that they just "pushed it all under the carpet" then there are certain people at rather high places who should have some serious questions to answer. Clubs are putting in measures as best they can now, including QPR (see their press release). However, if we are to drag out the past perpetrators we also need to dig out those people who covered it all up and they should be severely punished as well as they are nearly as bad.

The problem with that though is just how far these allegations go. If no-one from that time is at the club today, how could the club of today be responsible?

It seems that every single organisation with access to children at that time has a sad and horrible tale to tell - the church, schools, tv, football. Surely there is more out there - horrible to think.

"Seen and not heard" was the Victorian way with children. It sounds like that kept going 'til the 70s - horrible...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Rangers named in sex abuse scandal on 00:14 - Dec 7 with 2857 viewsSimonJames

Football abuse claims: Ex-QPR player speaks out

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38225215

100% of people who drink water will die.

Rangers named in sex abuse scandal on 01:29 - Dec 7 with 2379 viewsdixiedean

Rangers named in sex abuse scandal on 14:58 - Dec 6 by Boston

Nothing surprises me anymore. Seems that half the middle class are child molesters.

What has being middle class got to do with this? So working class people can't be paedos ? Not sure if it's either helpful or relevant to make a class related point on such an important matter as this. The sick b@stards got away with it because they chose the 'right ' victims who wouldn't speak out. I don't think that's a class issue.
Rangers named in sex abuse scandal on 04:16 - Dec 7 with 2345 viewsloftinoz

For me personally, I was abused when I was 10 by a so called friend of the family. To make it worse, it was set up by my own Father. I'm 65 now and it's fair to say it ruined my life, 65 and not a friend in the world.
Rangers named in sex abuse scandal on 05:25 - Dec 7 with 2325 viewsisawqpratwcity

Rangers named in sex abuse scandal on 04:16 - Dec 7 by loftinoz

For me personally, I was abused when I was 10 by a so called friend of the family. To make it worse, it was set up by my own Father. I'm 65 now and it's fair to say it ruined my life, 65 and not a friend in the world.

My profound sympathies, loftinoz.

I can't do any more than wish you the usual conciliatory noises, but I really do hope you can one day put that shit behind you.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Rangers named in sex abuse scandal on 05:44 - Dec 7 with 2317 viewsisawqpratwcity

Rangers named in sex abuse scandal on 01:29 - Dec 7 by dixiedean

What has being middle class got to do with this? So working class people can't be paedos ? Not sure if it's either helpful or relevant to make a class related point on such an important matter as this. The sick b@stards got away with it because they chose the 'right ' victims who wouldn't speak out. I don't think that's a class issue.

I would say that, as a general rule, abusers are people of importance or authority: teachers, bosses, priests, celebrities, older generation relatives (no reference cited, just my observation).

Is that possibly a significant part of their gratification? The difference in status must at least facilitate their bastard practices.

Stop me if you think this is stating the bleeding obvious..

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Rangers named in sex abuse scandal on 06:38 - Dec 7 with 2283 viewsWatfordR

Rangers named in sex abuse scandal on 18:09 - Dec 6 by MrSheen

Benny boys, we are here! Hope you escaped their clutches too.

Yes mate, I was fine. I did wonder years later when all the stories of abuse hit the papers just how the "selection process" worked though.
Rangers named in sex abuse scandal on 09:49 - Dec 7 with 2119 views2Thomas2Bowles

It's such a deep thing to try and help with when someone says they don't have a friend in the world but the hand of friendship is offered even if it's just through the internet.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Rangers named in sex abuse scandal on 10:05 - Dec 7 with 2090 viewsozexile

Rangers named in sex abuse scandal on 09:49 - Dec 7 by 2Thomas2Bowles

It's such a deep thing to try and help with when someone says they don't have a friend in the world but the hand of friendship is offered even if it's just through the internet.

I agree that upset me reading that. Where abouts in Oz are you, I'm in Sydney.
Rangers named in sex abuse scandal on 10:09 - Dec 7 with 2085 viewsFDC

It's hard to grapple with the magnitude of what you must have gone through. I really can't think of any words that mean anything; just my condolences and solidarity, and to say I hope you find peace.
Rangers named in sex abuse scandal on 10:23 - Dec 7 with 2049 viewsFDC

And to add, you do of course have friends here mate.
Rangers named in sex abuse scandal on 10:56 - Dec 7 with 1994 viewshopphoops

That's awful Loftinoz! I hope you somehow find peace and company that you can enjoy. The crazy thing is that there may be people all around you in a similar situation. Best of luck to you.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024