Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Y’know Why I like The White Horse 14:44 - Jan 11 with 6543 viewsBoston

....because it’s 2.45 on a Thursday afternoon and there’s a better drinking crowd in here than a lot of pubs Saturday nights....and they don’t think it’s odd you support the Rangers. That is why.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Y’know Why I like The White Horse on 21:14 - Jan 11 with 1998 viewsFredManRave

Y’know Why I like The White Horse on 19:15 - Jan 11 by karl

Haha, many a true word Brian!
Probably my short arms have been responsible for the lack of close friends Fred, but since you're asking yes I will have drink. Thanks!

Is this you in your local, Karl?!

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Y’know Why I like The White Horse on 21:24 - Jan 11 with 1987 viewsToast_R

I love the pub but can't afford it much these days. Where 20 years ago you could have a decent drink in the local on around £10, now your looking at between £30 to £40 in an evening. It breaks your heart when you order a a round of say a sensible boys beer Fosters (£4.85) and the other half has a large glass of the old vino Rosé (I'd rather live in ignorance than work out the cost of that choice of beverage)and a tenner don't cover the round. Do that 5 times a night you've done a tidy sum when you could have stayed in with a few drinks which is what we do now and only spend a fraction of that. Sad but true. Home bars are the future.
Y’know Why I like The White Horse on 22:22 - Jan 11 with 1933 viewsMrSheen

Y’know Why I like The White Horse on 21:24 - Jan 11 by Toast_R

I love the pub but can't afford it much these days. Where 20 years ago you could have a decent drink in the local on around £10, now your looking at between £30 to £40 in an evening. It breaks your heart when you order a a round of say a sensible boys beer Fosters (£4.85) and the other half has a large glass of the old vino Rosé (I'd rather live in ignorance than work out the cost of that choice of beverage)and a tenner don't cover the round. Do that 5 times a night you've done a tidy sum when you could have stayed in with a few drinks which is what we do now and only spend a fraction of that. Sad but true. Home bars are the future.

Mrs Toast puts away over a bottle and a half of Rose in a session? I thought Mrs Sheen had a thirst on her.
Y’know Why I like The White Horse on 23:06 - Jan 11 with 1885 viewsToast_R

Y’know Why I like The White Horse on 22:22 - Jan 11 by MrSheen

Mrs Toast puts away over a bottle and a half of Rose in a session? I thought Mrs Sheen had a thirst on her.

Haha. I get your point, obviously she nurses her two permitted glasses while I indulge in onslaught of a few pints followed by a Woods and Coke or two before waking up in a world of hurt in the morning.
Y’know Why I like The White Horse on 23:11 - Jan 11 with 1875 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Y’know Why I like The White Horse on 19:15 - Jan 11 by karl

Haha, many a true word Brian!
Probably my short arms have been responsible for the lack of close friends Fred, but since you're asking yes I will have drink. Thanks!

I’ve been to Karl’s local.

Too many luppers for my liking.
Y’know Why I like The White Horse on 00:19 - Jan 12 with 1834 viewskarl

Y’know Why I like The White Horse on 23:11 - Jan 11 by BazzaInTheLoft

I’ve been to Karl’s local.

Too many luppers for my liking.

'louper' you f'ing louper!
And I didn't take you to my local, just the bar that accepts the ferryloupers haha
Y’know Why I like The White Horse on 00:26 - Jan 12 with 1830 viewsjohncharles

Y’know Why I like The White Horse on 15:04 - Jan 11 by colinallcars

Pubs are still struggling. I've just spent an hour and a half in the Magpie in Brentford. Superb Real Ales at under four quid but there was only one other punter there. Pub closures n West London have thankfully levelled off recently but people need to get off their arses and use the pubs or it'll get worse again.

Only one punter in there ? I bet that was Noel

Strong and stable my arse.

Y’know Why I like The White Horse on 00:36 - Jan 12 with 1824 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Y’know Why I like The White Horse on 00:19 - Jan 12 by karl

'louper' you f'ing louper!
And I didn't take you to my local, just the bar that accepts the ferryloupers haha

I was just grateful I didn't see Britt and Eddie before I walked in:

Login to get fewer ads

Y’know Why I like The White Horse on 00:57 - Jan 12 with 1815 viewskarl

Y’know Why I like The White Horse on 00:36 - Jan 12 by BazzaInTheLoft

I was just grateful I didn't see Britt and Eddie before I walked in:

That's Rousay ffs, apparently they dig up the dead over there.....
Y’know Why I like The White Horse on 05:28 - Jan 12 with 1767 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Y’know Why I like The White Horse on 17:55 - Jan 11 by SimonJames

Yes, we stayed near Belper (Derbyshire) over the New Year, with 35 of our closest friends. You could hold a conversation without shouting, and a round of beers for 10 didn't require a second mortgage.

And the other 25 are close, but not close enough!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Y’know Why I like The White Horse on 08:23 - Jan 12 with 1678 viewspaulparker

im trying to stay dry this month and I have for the last 12 days, (cant say ive noticed any difference tbh and that's also around the waist and in the wallet )
and its only today that im feeling I could do with a pint, the problem with pubs are they have to cater for everyone like 2 for a tenner burgers, curry nights, quiz night , poker nights , I hate walking into a pub and it smelling like a greasy spoon or an indian take away , as a drinker all I want is a decent beer on tap, that im served quick and does it have the football on the TV, what's killing the pub trade is the prices, £5 for a peroni , £4.70 for a stella !!!! and that's in stony stratford where I live even a pint of Carlsberg is £3. 80 , people cannot afford them prices especially when your doing rounds and ive never been a big drink at home fan, I don't think you can beat about 5 or 6 blokes in a pub on a Saturday or Sunday talking bollox over 4 or 5 pints
where I used to live in Northampton was a pub called the malt shovel if your ever up that way go in there its a drinkers paradise , they do around 8 Belgium beers by the bottle, 6 german beers by the bottle , kwaak on draft, they have 15 ales on draft ,(esb, pride included)tinnermans fruit beers on draft and around 50 malt whiskeys from all over Britain behind the bar , there's no jukebox, no pool tables, no kids, no food, no tv,and on Sunday lunch times the guvnors wife puts sausage rolls and roast potatoes on the counter,
that's what a pub should be

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Y’know Why I like The White Horse on 09:16 - Jan 12 with 1633 viewsW7Ranger

Y’know Why I like The White Horse on 15:16 - Jan 11 by Boston

...and if you’re watching the pennys, Shepherd and Flock have reduced the price of a pint to three pounds thirty for the month of January.👍

It wasn't that cheap in there on new years day before the Cardiff game.
Y’know Why I like The White Horse on 10:51 - Jan 12 with 1576 viewsSimonJames

Y’know Why I like The White Horse on 05:28 - Jan 12 by PlanetHonneywood

And the other 25 are close, but not close enough!

That was the hardcore pubcrawlers... the rest were yomping in the Derbyshire countryside.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Y’know Why I like The White Horse on 11:11 - Jan 12 with 1551 viewsBrightonhoop

Y’know Why I like The White Horse on 08:23 - Jan 12 by paulparker

im trying to stay dry this month and I have for the last 12 days, (cant say ive noticed any difference tbh and that's also around the waist and in the wallet )
and its only today that im feeling I could do with a pint, the problem with pubs are they have to cater for everyone like 2 for a tenner burgers, curry nights, quiz night , poker nights , I hate walking into a pub and it smelling like a greasy spoon or an indian take away , as a drinker all I want is a decent beer on tap, that im served quick and does it have the football on the TV, what's killing the pub trade is the prices, £5 for a peroni , £4.70 for a stella !!!! and that's in stony stratford where I live even a pint of Carlsberg is £3. 80 , people cannot afford them prices especially when your doing rounds and ive never been a big drink at home fan, I don't think you can beat about 5 or 6 blokes in a pub on a Saturday or Sunday talking bollox over 4 or 5 pints
where I used to live in Northampton was a pub called the malt shovel if your ever up that way go in there its a drinkers paradise , they do around 8 Belgium beers by the bottle, 6 german beers by the bottle , kwaak on draft, they have 15 ales on draft ,(esb, pride included)tinnermans fruit beers on draft and around 50 malt whiskeys from all over Britain behind the bar , there's no jukebox, no pool tables, no kids, no food, no tv,and on Sunday lunch times the guvnors wife puts sausage rolls and roast potatoes on the counter,
that's what a pub should be

Read that as 'The White House.' Note to self, must get some new glasses.

That sounds like the Crown in Brighton, good beers, roaring fire and roast spuds on the bar for bar snacks on a sunday, QPR on the telly box. Used to go there with Ron Gould. Cant beat a decent, old school boozer with the footy on.
Y’know Why I like The White Horse on 12:48 - Jan 12 with 1487 viewsYorkRanger

Two pubs in my village in rural North Yorkshire, both less than a 5 minute walk, a variety of local ales and guest beers with Theakston, Tetleys and Wainwrights always on and £3.20 a pint.
Y’know Why I like The White Horse on 12:53 - Jan 12 with 1472 viewshopphoops

Eric?

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Y’know Why I like The White Horse on 12:59 - Jan 12 with 1462 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Found a lovely pub in Ilford of all places the other week called the Prince of Wales.

Old school front bar, standing and big screen with a few side booths, a back bar with hatch connecting both bars with lots of seats and outside a pool table in a gazebo with heather so you could smoke.

Tasty Ales.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Y’know Why I like The White Horse on 13:00 - Jan 12 with 1461 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Y’know Why I like The White Horse on 12:59 - Jan 12 by Metallica_Hoop

Found a lovely pub in Ilford of all places the other week called the Prince of Wales.

Old school front bar, standing and big screen with a few side booths, a back bar with hatch connecting both bars with lots of seats and outside a pool table in a gazebo with heather so you could smoke.

Tasty Ales.

and heaters too with the heather.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Y’know Why I like The White Horse on 17:06 - Jan 12 with 1380 viewsBoston

Y’know Why I like The White Horse on 13:00 - Jan 12 by Metallica_Hoop

and heaters too with the heather.

An accommodating lass is Heather.

Y’know Why I like The White Horse on 18:17 - Jan 12 with 1329 viewsGloryHunter

Y’know Why I like The White Horse on 18:46 - Jan 11 by stowmarketrange

The only pub in my village closed down about 2 years ago and has now reopened as a Mexican shop selling everything from Mexico.
Our nearest local now is 4 miles away.Handy if you have someone to drop you off and pick you up after,but not very practical for driving there if you can’t have a beer while you’re in there.

I know that pub! It's Stonham Aspal, and I drive past it most weeks on my way to or from London. Never went in there, mind - well, you can't drink and drive, can you? And that's what has killed the country pub trade.

Mind you, we do cycle or walk to country pubs in Suffolk of a lunchtime, and it's dispiriting when you get there and it's not open. Chicken-and-egg situation, really - after two or three shut lunchtimes, we'll stop trying that pub, and if people like us stop using that pub, then there's no point it staying open.

The Irish village pub model is probably more sustainable - a pub counter in a premises that is also a shop or post office or, in one place I visited, an undertakers!
Y’know Why I like The White Horse on 19:13 - Jan 12 with 1291 viewsHayesender

I'll be spending tomorrow afternoon in the ivy leaf club in West Drayton. £2 a pint up till 7pm and then only £2.60 after, and by then you're too pished to notice it's gone up

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Y’know Why I like The White Horse on 20:26 - Jan 12 with 1242 viewsBoston

Y’know Why I like The White Horse on 18:17 - Jan 12 by GloryHunter

I know that pub! It's Stonham Aspal, and I drive past it most weeks on my way to or from London. Never went in there, mind - well, you can't drink and drive, can you? And that's what has killed the country pub trade.

Mind you, we do cycle or walk to country pubs in Suffolk of a lunchtime, and it's dispiriting when you get there and it's not open. Chicken-and-egg situation, really - after two or three shut lunchtimes, we'll stop trying that pub, and if people like us stop using that pub, then there's no point it staying open.

The Irish village pub model is probably more sustainable - a pub counter in a premises that is also a shop or post office or, in one place I visited, an undertakers!

Ah yes, the undertakers in the back, Claremorris, was in there a number of times. For future reference, keep heading north by north west, toward the town of Westport. When you’re a few miles out you’ll hit a crossroads with a half dozen houses and a small shop, Knockroosky, turn left and proceed in a westerly direction for approximately five miles, voila, you’re in Aghagower. There, located centrally on its narrow main thoroughfare sits Scott’s, purveyors of everything known to the west of Ireland man, though sometimes difficult to enter the bit where I’m recommending due to coats or other items hanging over the opening that serves as a door. This splendid establishment has a huge beautifully built fireplace, kept burning by an oversized log lying on the floor, which, if you happen to be in the place at the right time, might be requested by the barman “to just give that a kick along, would you sir.”
[Post edited 12 Jan 2018 20:27]

Y’know Why I like The White Horse on 17:11 - Jan 13 with 1063 viewsdistortR

Y’know Why I like The White Horse on 18:04 - Jan 11 by karl

35 closest friends?! I don't think there are 35 people who would give me the time of day never mind let themselves be described as friends!

I'll give you the time of day, mate! It's.................actually, why don't you effing buy your own effing watch?
[Post edited 13 Jan 2018 17:12]
Y’know Why I like The White Horse on 17:24 - Jan 13 with 1046 viewsGloryHunter

Y’know Why I like The White Horse on 20:26 - Jan 12 by Boston

Ah yes, the undertakers in the back, Claremorris, was in there a number of times. For future reference, keep heading north by north west, toward the town of Westport. When you’re a few miles out you’ll hit a crossroads with a half dozen houses and a small shop, Knockroosky, turn left and proceed in a westerly direction for approximately five miles, voila, you’re in Aghagower. There, located centrally on its narrow main thoroughfare sits Scott’s, purveyors of everything known to the west of Ireland man, though sometimes difficult to enter the bit where I’m recommending due to coats or other items hanging over the opening that serves as a door. This splendid establishment has a huge beautifully built fireplace, kept burning by an oversized log lying on the floor, which, if you happen to be in the place at the right time, might be requested by the barman “to just give that a kick along, would you sir.”

Mine was in Co Leitrim. They buried my great-uncle in 1961, and still have the records and receipts in a big ledger behind the counter. Have a pint of Guinness while you browse the coffin catalogues - only in Ireland.
Y’know Why I like The White Horse on 19:41 - Jan 13 with 951 viewsBrightonhoop

Y’know Why I like The White Horse on 20:26 - Jan 12 by Boston

There's a farm in Cork run by a couple of Germans, bought for eanutes 30 years ago, about 40 miles from Bantry right out there, and the nearest village has a square with a boozer/shop/undertakers just like that. No idea what it is called, but the farm does BnB and has a couple of old Gypsy caravans for the tourists. Stayed there twice down through the years but no idea where it is. That kicking the log in...
If I ever had to leave Spain that part of Cork would be top of the list, it's just a magical place.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024