Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Linford Christie Stadium 11:18 - Aug 6 with 26931 viewsFearless

https://www.standard.co.uk/go/london/attractions/linford-christie-sports-stadium

Clive, please delete or move as you see fit
[Post edited 6 Aug 2018 11:19]
Linford Christie Stadium on 14:24 - Aug 6 with 2949 viewshopphoops

Linford Christie Stadium on 14:18 - Aug 6 by BrianMcCarthy

That's stuck in my head now!

And mine :(

We're crazysexycool today, Brian

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Linford Christie Stadium on 14:36 - Aug 6 with 2903 viewsnadera78

There is no covenant on Loftus Rd. When we first entered administration H&F Council said they would prevent any development on the site if the club didn't already have a replacement stadium. That got confused into 'there is a covenant' when there isn't.

My first thought, as someone said above, is that this could be H&F attempting to put pressure on QPR to bring about a better deal. They have the land we need, and we've missed out on so many other opportunities because TF was concentrating on making billions from Old Oak, so in all honesty they know we don't have that many options.

Looked at in the round, LCS makes sense. We get to rent a piece of land on our doorstep, saving the massive purchase costs of buying outright. H&F get us to build an athletics track next door and pay for its upkeep, saving them money they can't afford to spend thanks to Government cuts. Thames Valley Harriers get a nice new track to run on. TFL get us to spend some money sprucing up East Acton station. We also get to build flats on Loftus Rd, with profits going towards the new stadium costs, plus H&F get a Section 106 payment. Win win all round tbh.
Linford Christie Stadium on 14:41 - Aug 6 with 2879 viewsAntti_Heinola

Linford Christie Stadium on 14:19 - Aug 6 by hopphoops

from the linked article: "A masterplan illustration seen by the Standard dubs the area “The New Scrubs”."

I love the idea that some developer PR type was given the brief "Make it sound glamorous - but we have to keep "Scrubs". "

Scrubby McScrubface.

Or, make Zach Braff the new face of Scrubs. Worked last time.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2018 14:45]

Bare bones.

Linford Christie Stadium on 14:55 - Aug 6 with 2834 viewshopphoops

Linford Christie Stadium on 14:41 - Aug 6 by Antti_Heinola

Scrubby McScrubface.

Or, make Zach Braff the new face of Scrubs. Worked last time.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2018 14:45]

We could have "Wormwood's", the world's longest absinthe bar - that would lift the atmosphere put Fulham and Spuds in their place.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.

Linford Christie Stadium on 15:00 - Aug 6 with 2816 viewsBostonR

Linford Christie Stadium on 14:36 - Aug 6 by nadera78

There is no covenant on Loftus Rd. When we first entered administration H&F Council said they would prevent any development on the site if the club didn't already have a replacement stadium. That got confused into 'there is a covenant' when there isn't.

My first thought, as someone said above, is that this could be H&F attempting to put pressure on QPR to bring about a better deal. They have the land we need, and we've missed out on so many other opportunities because TF was concentrating on making billions from Old Oak, so in all honesty they know we don't have that many options.

Looked at in the round, LCS makes sense. We get to rent a piece of land on our doorstep, saving the massive purchase costs of buying outright. H&F get us to build an athletics track next door and pay for its upkeep, saving them money they can't afford to spend thanks to Government cuts. Thames Valley Harriers get a nice new track to run on. TFL get us to spend some money sprucing up East Acton station. We also get to build flats on Loftus Rd, with profits going towards the new stadium costs, plus H&F get a Section 106 payment. Win win all round tbh.

You wouldn’t happen to be on one of the investment teams? As I said earlier it will come down to money and who has it.
Linford Christie Stadium on 15:04 - Aug 6 with 2795 viewsBoston

Any day now, there’s going to be a Brentford season ticket holder in this story.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Linford Christie Stadium on 15:25 - Aug 6 with 2737 viewshopphoops

Linford Christie Stadium on 15:04 - Aug 6 by Boston

Any day now, there’s going to be a Brentford season ticket holder in this story.

Probably a lifer in the scrubs taking us to the supreme court for noise pollution.

Linford Christie Stadium on 15:34 - Aug 6 with 2716 viewsstevec

Spot on, absolutely essential QPR get this project.
Login to get fewer ads

Linford Christie Stadium on 15:42 - Aug 6 with 2692 viewskingshill

East Acton tube will need more than a spruce up. In it's current state it's nowhere near fit to handle any sort of crowd and with the platforms up above peoples gardens there's no room to expand.
They'd have to look at building a new station to service any stadium at the junction of DuCane Rd and Wulfstan St, where there is a long car park currently.
Linford Christie Stadium on 15:44 - Aug 6 with 2682 viewsNorthernr

Linford Christie Stadium on 15:34 - Aug 6 by stevec

Spot on, absolutely essential QPR get this project.

Agreed. It's basically the last chance for a stadium anywhere close to where we are now. We can't let this one pass us by.
Linford Christie Stadium on 15:49 - Aug 6 with 2668 viewsstevec

Linford Christie Stadium on 15:42 - Aug 6 by kingshill

East Acton tube will need more than a spruce up. In it's current state it's nowhere near fit to handle any sort of crowd and with the platforms up above peoples gardens there's no room to expand.
They'd have to look at building a new station to service any stadium at the junction of DuCane Rd and Wulfstan St, where there is a long car park currently.

It's only a 10 minute walk to White City, Tottenham's a 25 minute walk to Seven Sisters.
Linford Christie Stadium on 15:53 - Aug 6 with 2650 viewsNorthernr

Linford Christie Stadium on 15:49 - Aug 6 by stevec

It's only a 10 minute walk to White City, Tottenham's a 25 minute walk to Seven Sisters.

Strongly suspect the majority of QPR fans would use the same tubes and pubs they do now. Don't see 15,000 people suddenly trying to use East Acton Tube.
Linford Christie Stadium on 16:04 - Aug 6 with 2603 viewskensalriser

Linford Christie Stadium on 15:44 - Aug 6 by Northernr

Agreed. It's basically the last chance for a stadium anywhere close to where we are now. We can't let this one pass us by.

Hard to imagine there is any other feasible site within reasonable distance of LR, so yes, it probably is the last chance. We got completely sidelined by the redevelopment of White City, failure to take this opportunity will severely hamper our prospects for years, perhaps decades.

I've loved LR, but like an old car you've held on to for too long, it's no longer fit for purpose and needs replacing if you want to get anywhere.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Linford Christie Stadium on 16:16 - Aug 6 with 2555 viewsTonto

Linford Christie Stadium on 15:53 - Aug 6 by Northernr

Strongly suspect the majority of QPR fans would use the same tubes and pubs they do now. Don't see 15,000 people suddenly trying to use East Acton Tube.

thats not how the planners will see it... there will be a massive s106 requirement/contribution for doing up East Acton

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Linford Christie Stadium on 16:18 - Aug 6 with 2552 viewsstevec

Linford Christie Stadium on 16:04 - Aug 6 by kensalriser

Hard to imagine there is any other feasible site within reasonable distance of LR, so yes, it probably is the last chance. We got completely sidelined by the redevelopment of White City, failure to take this opportunity will severely hamper our prospects for years, perhaps decades.

I've loved LR, but like an old car you've held on to for too long, it's no longer fit for purpose and needs replacing if you want to get anywhere.

Too true.

The mans been a disaster but it's about time TF redeemed himself and got something right with the club.
Linford Christie Stadium on 16:24 - Aug 6 with 2539 viewsstevec

Linford Christie Stadium on 16:16 - Aug 6 by Tonto

thats not how the planners will see it... there will be a massive s106 requirement/contribution for doing up East Acton

I'm sorry but what is so wrong with East Acton?

I mentioned Tottenham and Seven Sister Road earlier, but in a different vein. We are talking about a top 4 club that presides in the shít hole of all shít holes and nobody expects them to spruce the god forsaken place up.

West London is a veritable diamond compared with 99% of most football locations.
Linford Christie Stadium on 16:30 - Aug 6 with 2514 viewsNorthernr

Linford Christie Stadium on 16:16 - Aug 6 by Tonto

Yeh I'm sure, but it's not an insurmountable problem.

Arsenal were allowed to build a 60,000 capacity stadium right on top of Drayton park overground station and next to Holloway Road and Caledonian Road tubes, none of which are remotely capable of dealing with a crowd of that size. However, like us, there are other underground and overground stations nearby and on matchdays they simply close the smaller stations near the kick off. Our ground would be barely a third of the size of that and people could still easily walk there from White City, Shep Bush overground and the Hammersmith and City line stations - just as they do from Arsenal, Highbury and Islington and Finsbury Park - none of which are a barrel of laughs on Arsenal matchdays.

The Stadium of Light in Sunderland has its own dedicated Metro stop called the Stadium of Light, which also (laughably) closes after the match because it can't cope with the crowd.

And as SteveC points out, Spurs are being allowed to build a fcking death star in one of the least connected parts of the city, that didn't cope with their existing 36,000 ground.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Linford Christie Stadium on 16:33 - Aug 6 with 2487 viewsderbyhoop

Linford Christie Stadium on 16:04 - Aug 6 by kensalriser

Absolutely, spot on.

We all have great memories of games at LR but it has long ceased to be a viable option for a club of Championship status. And certainly nowhere near good enough for PL.

If we want to progress it is more than time to move on.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Linford Christie Stadium on 16:54 - Aug 6 with 2410 viewscolinallcars

Linford Christie Stadium on 12:54 - Aug 6 by DavieQPR

Perhaps this is our backhanded way of saying if you don't let us build
a football ground then you are going to get a noisy concert stadium with
thousands of young people.

Tell 'em that Sizewell C will be built there if they object to a football stadium.
Linford Christie Stadium on 16:57 - Aug 6 with 2396 viewskensalriser

Transport is the least of concerns with the LC site. As others have said, there are multiple tubes within reasonable distance. Westbound travellers on the central line might choose to use White City over East Acton, it's not that far.

Plus, as I've said before, it probaby wouldn't be too difficult to put in another station on the Overground somewhere around the bottom of Mitre Way.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Linford Christie Stadium on 17:00 - Aug 6 with 2386 viewsAntti_Heinola

I have a friend (really), who is not a QPR fan. But is a football fan. I took him to a game once, and it was a cracker in the Prem (the 3-2 v Liverpool), but even now, even if offered a free ticket, he won't come because his knees were effed up for days afterwards. He's not even that tall, maybe 6'1. He just says it's ridiculously uncomfortable and he's not a sort of middle/upper class follows football because it's trendy type. He said he was just in pain for 90 minutes. I love LR, but a nice new ground would bring in so many new or lapsed fans. Obviously when we get relegated we'll rattle around in it for a while and some fans will be terribly embarrassed about it being too big for us, but it's essential, really, for numerous reasons. Really hope they can sort it aht.

Bare bones.

Linford Christie Stadium on 17:00 - Aug 6 with 2381 viewsGloucs_R

So we all agree then...LCS or bust??

By the way LC himself supports us moving there!!!
[Post edited 6 Aug 2018 17:06]

Poll: Are we staying up?

Linford Christie Stadium on 17:01 - Aug 6 with 2384 viewscaliforniahoop

Linford Christie Stadium on 16:33 - Aug 6 by derbyhoop

Absolutely, spot on.

We all have great memories of games at LR but it has long ceased to be a viable option for a club of Championship status. And certainly nowhere near good enough for PL.

If we want to progress it is more than time to move on.

I suspect most of the planning for the WC development was done while we where drifting in terms of ownership, if they where farsighted, they would have got involved with the view of selling the club with planning permission, hence get more money when selling.

We missed out on a lot of land in the area, the old White City stadium I believe is the worst as it had sporting history.

As has been stated, this may well be our last chance in the area, I am sure TF and the gang are aware of that and they also know that if we don’t move, we are 20yrs away from competing with Barnet!
Linford Christie Stadium on 17:21 - Aug 6 with 2315 viewsJuzzie

Out of interest, what other local sites have we absolutely missed out on in the last 10-15 years as better possibilities were hoped for?

Genuine question as the only one I can think of is the Dairy Crest site behind Westfield that even Chelsea and Fulham were supposedly looking at.

White City would have been perfect but back in the late 70's when I believe the chance came along we'd have had to pay the equivalent of our then record signing (at a time when money wasn't swilling around the game and each new record signing was measured in hundreds of thousands rather than tens of millions) to acquire it and that wouldn't have including demolition and the new stadium building cost.
Hooliganism was rife and football 20 years away from transforming plus land acquisition wasn't really thought of back then I guess and chances are had we done all that then the stadium would not have met the Taylor Report requirements which didn't exist for another decade or two, probably be looking old now and needing a complete refurb if not demolition and start again!

But yes, despite all that, I wish we'd bought the White City site back then.

[Post edited 6 Aug 2018 17:49]
Linford Christie Stadium on 17:26 - Aug 6 with 2296 viewshopphoops

Linford Christie Stadium on 17:00 - Aug 6 by Antti_Heinola

I have a friend (really), who is not a QPR fan. But is a football fan. I took him to a game once, and it was a cracker in the Prem (the 3-2 v Liverpool), but even now, even if offered a free ticket, he won't come because his knees were effed up for days afterwards. He's not even that tall, maybe 6'1. He just says it's ridiculously uncomfortable and he's not a sort of middle/upper class follows football because it's trendy type. He said he was just in pain for 90 minutes. I love LR, but a nice new ground would bring in so many new or lapsed fans. Obviously when we get relegated we'll rattle around in it for a while and some fans will be terribly embarrassed about it being too big for us, but it's essential, really, for numerous reasons. Really hope they can sort it aht.

We can always hope for a post-Brexit dividend of insular dwarfism.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024