Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Linford Christie Stadium 11:18 - Aug 6 with 26924 viewsFearless

https://www.standard.co.uk/go/london/attractions/linford-christie-sports-stadium

Clive, please delete or move as you see fit
[Post edited 6 Aug 2018 11:19]
Linford Christie Stadium on 17:27 - Aug 6 with 3728 viewshoopdog

Linford Christie Stadium on 17:01 - Aug 6 by californiahoop

I suspect most of the planning for the WC development was done while we where drifting in terms of ownership, if they where farsighted, they would have got involved with the view of selling the club with planning permission, hence get more money when selling.

We missed out on a lot of land in the area, the old White City stadium I believe is the worst as it had sporting history.

As has been stated, this may well be our last chance in the area, I am sure TF and the gang are aware of that and they also know that if we don’t move, we are 20yrs away from competing with Barnet!

Make you right Al but nobody has commitment or vision since Jim Gregory ,we've had many chances to take the club forward ie when we had periods in the top divs but just sat on it
Linford Christie Stadium on 17:30 - Aug 6 with 3708 viewshopphoops

Linford Christie Stadium on 17:27 - Aug 6 by hoopdog

Make you right Al but nobody has commitment or vision since Jim Gregory ,we've had many chances to take the club forward ie when we had periods in the top divs but just sat on it

Indeed, we've found a way to dodge pretty much every opportunity for 30 years.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Linford Christie Stadium on 18:58 - Aug 6 with 3501 viewsQPR_Jim

Linford Christie Stadium on 14:36 - Aug 6 by nadera78

There is no covenant on Loftus Rd. When we first entered administration H&F Council said they would prevent any development on the site if the club didn't already have a replacement stadium. That got confused into 'there is a covenant' when there isn't.

My first thought, as someone said above, is that this could be H&F attempting to put pressure on QPR to bring about a better deal. They have the land we need, and we've missed out on so many other opportunities because TF was concentrating on making billions from Old Oak, so in all honesty they know we don't have that many options.

Looked at in the round, LCS makes sense. We get to rent a piece of land on our doorstep, saving the massive purchase costs of buying outright. H&F get us to build an athletics track next door and pay for its upkeep, saving them money they can't afford to spend thanks to Government cuts. Thames Valley Harriers get a nice new track to run on. TFL get us to spend some money sprucing up East Acton station. We also get to build flats on Loftus Rd, with profits going towards the new stadium costs, plus H&F get a Section 106 payment. Win win all round tbh.

I assume that most away fans would come in to old oak common in the future, it would only be the other side of the scrubs.

Personally I think that connection with HS2 will be the difference between having a stadium with opportunities for concerts and conferences and one that's in demand for that type of event. There's a lot of spaces in London that will be competing to host events so connectivity has to be the selling point that makes it viable and in turn resolve our FFP issues.
Linford Christie Stadium on 19:04 - Aug 6 with 3482 viewsnadera78

Linford Christie Stadium on 17:21 - Aug 6 by Juzzie

Out of interest, what other local sites have we absolutely missed out on in the last 10-15 years as better possibilities were hoped for?

Genuine question as the only one I can think of is the Dairy Crest site behind Westfield that even Chelsea and Fulham were supposedly looking at.

White City would have been perfect but back in the late 70's when I believe the chance came along we'd have had to pay the equivalent of our then record signing (at a time when money wasn't swilling around the game and each new record signing was measured in hundreds of thousands rather than tens of millions) to acquire it and that wouldn't have including demolition and the new stadium building cost.
Hooliganism was rife and football 20 years away from transforming plus land acquisition wasn't really thought of back then I guess and chances are had we done all that then the stadium would not have met the Taylor Report requirements which didn't exist for another decade or two, probably be looking old now and needing a complete refurb if not demolition and start again!

But yes, despite all that, I wish we'd bought the White City site back then.

[Post edited 6 Aug 2018 17:49]

BBC Woodlands, which is now Imperial College. Dairy Crest, which is also now Imperial College. M&S warehouses behind the station, which is now being turned into flats. That's 3 sites we definitely missed out on.

BBC TV Centre is debatable, given the BBCs requirements for retaining some of the site. It might not have been big enough for a stadium too.

Going back a bit further, of course, there was Chris Wright turning down the land behind the School End (offered for peanuts) because he wanted to move to Heathrow/Hillingdon.
Linford Christie Stadium on 20:37 - Aug 6 with 3324 viewsPunteR

I honestly don't think TF and the board have the nous to get LCS unfortunately. They've done nothing to make me think otherwise. Bit cup half empty, i know but what exactly have they done to improve the club in the 8 years they've been here ?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Linford Christie Stadium on 21:31 - Aug 6 with 3189 viewsLblock

Lunchbox Road Stadium.... can’t see it. Certainly not under this mobs watch

Another key thing here - athletic track and a football ground. Now where have we seen that be a disaster before?

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Linford Christie Stadium on 21:59 - Aug 6 with 3131 viewsAntti_Heinola

Linford Christie Stadium on 21:31 - Aug 6 by Lblock

Another key thing here - athletic track and a football ground. Now where have we seen that be a disaster before?

think they said the stadium would be adjacent to, not part of the running track stadium, but the LCS would get an upgrade.

Bare bones.

Linford Christie Stadium on 22:02 - Aug 6 with 3123 viewsCamberleyR

The athletics track wouldn't be around our pitch should we ever build a stadium on the site, as I understand it, it would be built adjacent to any new stadium development.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Login to get fewer ads

Linford Christie Stadium on 22:27 - Aug 6 with 3048 viewsbarbicanranger

Some interesting points here most of which I agree with. Will be hard to leave LR and with proper Mgmt we could probably have found the right new home for us already, this does feel like the last opportunity in the local area.

The one positive I take from this article is that we are mentioned a couple of times and it appears the site is being lined up for development, which is a huge step forward from the last article I read on LCS which simply said we were in early discussions.
Linford Christie Stadium on 06:45 - Aug 7 with 2742 viewsNorthernr

Plans would involve our stadium being built rotated 90 degrees from the current stadium there, leaving space for an athletics track and facility adjacent to it.
Linford Christie Stadium on 07:33 - Aug 7 with 2666 viewsisawqpratwcity

Linford Christie Stadium on 06:45 - Aug 7 by Northernr

Plans would involve our stadium being built rotated 90 degrees from the current stadium there, leaving space for an athletics track and facility adjacent to it.

North of everything except open ground: build as high as we like.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Linford Christie Stadium on 07:58 - Aug 7 with 2617 viewscaliforniahoop

How ya going pal, we have to grab this opportunity, I like the idea of an athletic stadium adjacent.

I remember the club’s full name included cricket and athletic club.

Let’s get a summer 20/20 and 50/50 cricket franchise a drop in cricket pitch, job done, concerts, cricket, athletics and of course football, that’s a big middle finger too FFP!
Linford Christie Stadium on 07:59 - Aug 7 with 2613 viewsBostonR

Linford Christie Stadium on 06:45 - Aug 7 by Northernr

If I were advising I would strongly push for total control of the site and facilities. The 106 is what it is and most investors know they have to bear that cost. I suspect the local authority may want a say in the running of the finished development that gives them an income stream. A non starter for me and I suspect the Rs team would want to have a free hand. If we have to lease tha land so be it but no involvement or joint venture with the Council.
Linford Christie Stadium on 08:09 - Aug 7 with 2582 viewsisawqpratwcity

Clearly, Tone, this is the one. Time to go all in.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Linford Christie Stadium on 08:09 - Aug 7 with 2586 viewspaulparker

Linford Christie Stadium on 20:37 - Aug 6 by PunteR

I honestly don't think TF and the board have the nous to get LCS unfortunately. They've done nothing to make me think otherwise. Bit cup half empty, i know but what exactly have they done to improve the club in the 8 years they've been here ?

im with PunteR on this, in what world do people think TF will acquire this site and turn it into a successful football stadium? , seriously the man has taken the club backwards in 7/8 years we can even sort out a few dog walkers to train
total utter pie in the sky

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Linford Christie Stadium on 08:15 - Aug 7 with 2565 viewscaliforniahoop

Linford Christie Stadium on 07:59 - Aug 7 by BostonR

If I were advising I would strongly push for total control of the site and facilities. The 106 is what it is and most investors know they have to bear that cost. I suspect the local authority may want a say in the running of the finished development that gives them an income stream. A non starter for me and I suspect the Rs team would want to have a free hand. If we have to lease tha land so be it but no involvement or joint venture with the Council.

100%
Linford Christie Stadium on 08:28 - Aug 7 with 2522 viewslondonscottish

Linford Christie Stadium on 11:55 - Aug 6 by hopphoops

I don't want New Scrubs, the Scrubs as a plan won't get no vote from me, on the inaccessible side of the Central Line, with the Hammy and HMP.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Linford Christie Stadium on 08:58 - Aug 7 with 2448 viewsMetallica_Hoop

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/s/st_quintin_park/index1.shtml

Just because it's interesting. If you like this sort of thing.

PS this better not f'up my nice quiet Parkrun

Forgot to add what's that school made of porta (obergefreiter by the grace of god) cabins in the old dirty all about?
[Post edited 7 Aug 2018 9:03]

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Linford Christie Stadium on 10:03 - Aug 7 with 2343 viewsQPR_John

Linford Christie Stadium on 08:09 - Aug 7 by paulparker

im with PunteR on this, in what world do people think TF will acquire this site and turn it into a successful football stadium? , seriously the man has taken the club backwards in 7/8 years we can even sort out a few dog walkers to train
total utter pie in the sky

"we can even sort out a few dog walkers to train "

I assume you mean can't. What do you suggest we do, a few brown envelopes unless you have a better idea.
Linford Christie Stadium on 10:48 - Aug 7 with 2234 viewskingshill

Linford Christie Stadium on 08:58 - Aug 7 by Metallica_Hoop

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/s/st_quintin_park/index1.shtml

Just because it's interesting. If you like this sort of thing.

PS this better not f'up my nice quiet Parkrun

Forgot to add what's that school made of porta (obergefreiter by the grace of god) cabins in the old dirty all about?
[Post edited 7 Aug 2018 9:03]

That's the bridge opposite the Pavillion pub isn't it?

Think the School portakabins next to Burlington Danes is the temporary home of the academy displaced by the Grenfell fire.
Linford Christie Stadium on 10:57 - Aug 7 with 2202 viewsNorthernr

Linford Christie Stadium on 07:59 - Aug 7 by BostonR

The last meeting I went to about it the general feeling was the council were very keen to offload the LCS onto a private company because they haven't got the money/don't want to pay for its upkeep any more - it's in a bit of a state if you go down there and have a look. They'd welcome it being somebody else's problem. What's changed between then (April) and now I'm not sure, if anything.
Linford Christie Stadium on 11:10 - Aug 7 with 2170 viewskensalriser

If the club is serious about this, maybe it would be a good idea to get the fans on board this time.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Linford Christie Stadium on 11:16 - Aug 7 with 2160 viewsstevec

In the meantime, I can think of a few of our lardy arsé players who could do with a session on the LCS track.

Back in the 70's the finest football team the world had ever seen limbered up regularly on that tip with Stan and Shanks bringing up the rear. Didn't do them any harm.
Linford Christie Stadium on 11:24 - Aug 7 with 2121 viewspaulparker

Linford Christie Stadium on 10:03 - Aug 7 by QPR_John

"we can even sort out a few dog walkers to train "

I assume you mean can't. What do you suggest we do, a few brown envelopes unless you have a better idea.

What do you suggest we do, a few brown envelopes unless you have a better idea.

yeah have a plan B or even C or heaven forbid a plan D

still this coming form the "owner" who announced OOC with drawing designs without actually having the permission or acquiring the land to do it

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Linford Christie Stadium on 11:35 - Aug 7 with 2081 viewsfrancisbowles

Linford Christie Stadium on 11:24 - Aug 7 by paulparker

What do you suggest we do, a few brown envelopes unless you have a better idea.

yeah have a plan B or even C or heaven forbid a plan D

still this coming form the "owner" who announced OOC with drawing designs without actually having the permission or acquiring the land to do it

When you say he 'announced' it, I think it was a case of making plans known and garnering the support of fans for the project. This is an important part of presentation when you are in negotiations.

They may have got other parts of the strategy on OOC wrong and made huge mistakes in appointing Beard, Hughes, Redknapp etc etc. but they have started to get things right in the last couple of years.

It's easy to have hindsight and spot the mistakes, not so easy to get all the decisions right in the first place. How many of us were not initially excited when we had four champions league winners in the squad?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024