Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
are there any McLaren fans still out there tonight! 22:27 - Aug 21 with 15914 viewsRs_Holy

thame hoops, spaghetti Hoops?

Just wondering what your views are after the result this evening?
(No subject) (n/t) on 08:27 - Aug 22 with 1726 viewsEddo

are there any McLaren fans still out there tonight! on 07:46 - Aug 22 by Rs_Holy

I think the weakened defence argumant is a really good one however we appear to be weaker in every area of the pitch this season... It could be argued the midfield should be better than last season as Eze has gained some experience and Smyth too. The strikers are identical to last season. The comms yesterday said towards the end of the game ”they do look disjointed now... there doesn’t appear to be a formation”. This is not purely down to the defence? Ollie seemed to get the best out of those players and we looked like a proper unit, there were times when we lost but you kind of felt we were unlucky... I really didnt think that we were unlucky last night. We were at times all over the place :(
[Post edited 22 Aug 2018 7:50]

are there any McLaren fans still out there tonight! on 08:28 - Aug 22 with 1724 viewsToast_R

are there any McLaren fans still out there tonight! on 22:34 - Aug 21 by Rangersw12

Bigger picture Fernandes is at fault and but Paladini is the one who properly killed the club

I will pop a bottle of bubbly when that cnt dies

That's debatable. He hasn't been chairman for 10 years and stewardship saw QPR secure new owners when they were heading for liquidation.

I don't think we should sack McClaren, let's just watch the whole thing burn down and start a fresh next season in the division we've been dodging for 3 years.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2018 8:33]
are there any McLaren fans still out there tonight! on 08:37 - Aug 22 with 1691 viewsdodge_stoke_r

are there any McLaren fans still out there tonight! on 08:22 - Aug 22 by Eddo

I think you've hit the nail on the head.

I thought we looked ok for 40 minutes and created enough chances to be two up before that dreadful slip by Bidwell crushed any confidence the tea might have felt, for sure City were poor but we only need to finish above three teams to survive until the transfer embargo is lifted..

A genuine 30 goals per season striker through the loan system would make a huge difference to the whole squad, as one of the posts said, we have three plan B strikers although I'd argue that Washington is perhaps at best plan D once you've exhausted every other option - He's way out of his depth.

Mate, a "genuine 30 goal a season" player isn't going to be available on a loan deal
are there any McLaren fans still out there tonight! on 08:41 - Aug 22 with 1670 viewstraininvain

are there any McLaren fans still out there tonight! on 08:37 - Aug 22 by dodge_stoke_r

Mate, a "genuine 30 goal a season" player isn't going to be available on a loan deal

When was the last time a striker even scored 30 goals in the championship?!

We’d have more joy looking for a unicorn.
are there any McLaren fans still out there tonight! on 08:43 - Aug 22 with 1659 viewskropotkin41

I strongly suspect that Hoos and Les are both very well aware that we now have a League One squad, a League One budget and a League One stadium and following to go with it. They know all of this and that is why we need a new stadium. Hoos has all but said this: we need non-match day income and a new financial model otherwise we cannot compete in the Championship.

Last night and Saturday is what that looks like. I know that other clubs of modest means do well, and maybe Holloway was in some ways working towards that but the wage bill had to be cut more. I don't understand the McClaren appointment really, and against the financial background it seems to make even less sense,but there we are, we are League One....... anything else is defying gravity,miraculous and, I suppose what TF was hoping for.

It's not about sacking McClaren or who comes in, it's about the LCS, the training ground, the possibility of new finances and surviving what is going to be a horrible time so we can come back in better health than we've been in for donkey's years. It's all that or it's AFC QPR as far as I can see.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

are there any McLaren fans still out there tonight! on 08:47 - Aug 22 with 1629 viewspaulparker

are there any McLaren fans still out there tonight! on 08:43 - Aug 22 by kropotkin41

I strongly suspect that Hoos and Les are both very well aware that we now have a League One squad, a League One budget and a League One stadium and following to go with it. They know all of this and that is why we need a new stadium. Hoos has all but said this: we need non-match day income and a new financial model otherwise we cannot compete in the Championship.

Last night and Saturday is what that looks like. I know that other clubs of modest means do well, and maybe Holloway was in some ways working towards that but the wage bill had to be cut more. I don't understand the McClaren appointment really, and against the financial background it seems to make even less sense,but there we are, we are League One....... anything else is defying gravity,miraculous and, I suppose what TF was hoping for.

It's not about sacking McClaren or who comes in, it's about the LCS, the training ground, the possibility of new finances and surviving what is going to be a horrible time so we can come back in better health than we've been in for donkey's years. It's all that or it's AFC QPR as far as I can see.

This will be the same Lee Hoos who said the board budgeted for 10th last season

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

are there any McLaren fans still out there tonight! on 08:54 - Aug 22 with 1591 viewsisawqpratwcity

"I strongly suspect that Hoos and Les are both very well aware that we now have a League One squad, a League One budget and a League One stadium and following to go with it. They know all of this and that is why we need a new stadium. Hoos has all but said this: we need non-match day income and a new financial model otherwise we cannot compete in the Championship." - kropotkin41

McClaren's appointment as the result of the club deciding that there was not enough improvement under Holloway and he is the club's last roll of the dice for the Championship?
[Post edited 22 Aug 2018 9:04]

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

are there any McLaren fans still out there tonight! on 08:55 - Aug 22 with 1586 viewskropotkin41

are there any McLaren fans still out there tonight! on 08:47 - Aug 22 by paulparker

This will be the same Lee Hoos who said the board budgeted for 10th last season

He has made it clear in recent interviews that we can't compete in The Championship. I didn't say that he never gets things wrong. If he was passing on the board's hope that we'd get 10th that's one thing, but I think a lot has changed - and been recognised - since then.

Personally I agree with a great deal about what you say about the owners, but I think Lee Hoos has been crucial to keeping this sh*tshow anywhere near on the road.

Login to get fewer ads

are there any McLaren fans still out there tonight! on 09:05 - Aug 22 with 1554 viewsElHoop

Until the owners sell up we won't even be able to arrange the deckchairs properly on our sinking ship - in fact we've probably paid some pikey to take away the effing deckchairs or we loaned them to Rotherham.
are there any McLaren fans still out there tonight! on 09:06 - Aug 22 with 1544 viewsTheChef

are there any McLaren fans still out there tonight! on 07:27 - Aug 22 by WestbourneR

Word for word what I said before a ball was kicked this season then (and got shot down for being negative)

This situation was utterly predictable

Very weak squad + Steve McLaren = nailed on relegation

It’s a simple formula.

Well said Jonno.

Arguably stating nailed-on relegation is being too negative - we all knew this season was going to be tough, but we have 42 games left to turn this around. That's McLaren's job, that's what he's paid to do (maybe now he is realising the size of is his task), but he probably does not have much time - till the end of September?

For what it's worth I would just play to our attacking strengths (ahem) as it's clear we're not going to keep any clean sheets anytime soon. Move to 442, get some width and pace with Smyth or BOS in there and Pawel and get some decent crosses in the box for Smith and Sylla to get on the end of. Have Scowen and one of Luongo or Freeman in the middle. Eze can be lovely to watch but he's a luxury for us at the moment and at this stage of his career I don't think he needs this kind of exposure when a team is at this low ebb.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

are there any McLaren fans still out there tonight! on 09:09 - Aug 22 with 1523 viewsDejR_vu

are there any McLaren fans still out there tonight! on 08:43 - Aug 22 by kropotkin41

Our situation is different to Balckburn's or Wigan's. We have the fatal combination of an incredibly expensive stadium and low gates. If we go down we still have the stadium costs but likely lower attendances, so lower match day revenue, lower tv money, lower sponsorship etc. So we have to cut the budget again which means we have to cut the playing budget still further. Unlike last time we were in the third tier, we can't spend because of FFP. We're on a downward spiral and I can't see how we we can arrest it.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2018 9:16]

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

are there any McLaren fans still out there tonight! on 09:09 - Aug 22 with 1521 viewskropotkin41

are there any McLaren fans still out there tonight! on 08:54 - Aug 22 by isawqpratwcity

"I strongly suspect that Hoos and Les are both very well aware that we now have a League One squad, a League One budget and a League One stadium and following to go with it. They know all of this and that is why we need a new stadium. Hoos has all but said this: we need non-match day income and a new financial model otherwise we cannot compete in the Championship." - kropotkin41

McClaren's appointment as the result of the club deciding that there was not enough improvement under Holloway and he is the club's last roll of the dice for the Championship?
[Post edited 22 Aug 2018 9:04]

Last roll of the dice and a pretty clear sign, I'd say of confusion at the top....... I don't know who wanted McClaren but doesn't he seem like an ill fit? That's not to say the man is useless, but we are a proper special needs outfit.

are there any McLaren fans still out there tonight! on 09:12 - Aug 22 with 1512 viewskropotkin41

are there any McLaren fans still out there tonight! on 09:09 - Aug 22 by DejR_vu

Our situation is different to Balckburn's or Wigan's. We have the fatal combination of an incredibly expensive stadium and low gates. If we go down we still have the stadium costs but likely lower attendances, so lower match day revenue, lower tv money, lower sponsorship etc. So we have to cut the budget again which means we have to cut the playing budget still further. Unlike last time we were in the third tier, we can't spend because of FFP. We're on a downward spiral and I can't see how we we can arrest it.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2018 9:16]

Yeah, exactly. Well, the way out if it exists is a new stadium that is part of a new financial set-up. And very probably a long spell in the lower leagues.

are there any McLaren fans still out there tonight! on 09:16 - Aug 22 with 1502 viewsWestbourneR

are there any McLaren fans still out there tonight! on 09:06 - Aug 22 by TheChef

Well said Jonno.

Arguably stating nailed-on relegation is being too negative - we all knew this season was going to be tough, but we have 42 games left to turn this around. That's McLaren's job, that's what he's paid to do (maybe now he is realising the size of is his task), but he probably does not have much time - till the end of September?

For what it's worth I would just play to our attacking strengths (ahem) as it's clear we're not going to keep any clean sheets anytime soon. Move to 442, get some width and pace with Smyth or BOS in there and Pawel and get some decent crosses in the box for Smith and Sylla to get on the end of. Have Scowen and one of Luongo or Freeman in the middle. Eze can be lovely to watch but he's a luxury for us at the moment and at this stage of his career I don't think he needs this kind of exposure when a team is at this low ebb.

Eze is our best player. I don’t see our best player as a luxury.

I can’t think of a time be game the ball away last night, or lost confidence or stopped trying. He’s big and physical too and he has magic in his boots.

He’s just brilliant. Enjoy him while he is here.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

are there any McLaren fans still out there tonight! on 09:24 - Aug 22 with 1489 viewsBrianMcCarthy

are there any McLaren fans still out there tonight! on 08:41 - Aug 22 by traininvain

When was the last time a striker even scored 30 goals in the championship?!

We’d have more joy looking for a unicorn.

A unicorn is a ridiculous idea, traininvain. They're absolutely useless at heading the ball.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

(No subject) (n/t) on 09:29 - Aug 22 with 1474 viewsEddo

are there any McLaren fans still out there tonight! on 07:46 - Aug 22 by Rs_Holy

I think the weakened defence argumant is a really good one however we appear to be weaker in every area of the pitch this season... It could be argued the midfield should be better than last season as Eze has gained some experience and Smyth too. The strikers are identical to last season. The comms yesterday said towards the end of the game ”they do look disjointed now... there doesn’t appear to be a formation”. This is not purely down to the defence? Ollie seemed to get the best out of those players and we looked like a proper unit, there were times when we lost but you kind of felt we were unlucky... I really didnt think that we were unlucky last night. We were at times all over the place :(

are there any McLaren fans still out there tonight! on 10:03 - Aug 22 with 1422 viewsAshdown_Ranger

If only if it was as easy as replacing McClaren.

It's the players too.

And, if the boos and the apoplectic social media vitriol continues, the fans.

Many of the players are young kids, with little or no experience of this kind of anger directed at them. They don't have the experience or mental strength to handle this kind of cr*p - they'll be sh*tting themselves about turning out for Saturday's home game against Wigan.

In fact, probably most of the players will be doing likewise.

This kind of fan negativity will destroy morale and team cohesion. You only need to witness Luongo's lacklustre performances, presumably still massively effected by the disappointment of his (non-existent) World Cup experience.

Players need to be accountable too. Paul Parker (the 'real' ex-QPR, not this board's one...) hit the nail on the head for me in his post-match comments - some of the players think they're 'too good' to have to put the kind of gritty shift in that's needed in our situation. Horrendously bad decision to loan out one of the best exponents of that gritty, 'nasty' game (but still skilful and creative), Ryan Manning to one of our key relegation competitors - last night's Man of the Match at Rotherham.

You really couldn't make it up! Let's hope we exercise our right to bring him back in January.

Ingram needs a rest now, and let's hope Lumley can really make a name for himself. We need Hall back sooner rather than later - but what a shame Furlong is still at least a couple of months away from a return.

We still have 9 days to bring in some players. If we can get 2 or 3 in of the 'right sort', I'm still confident we can pull this round.
are there any McLaren fans still out there tonight! on 10:23 - Aug 22 with 1397 viewsPinnerPaul

are there any McLaren fans still out there tonight! on 22:54 - Aug 21 by baz_qpr

He put his faith in Ingram and ts probably cost him his job, Ingram has to be dropped immediately and probably loaned out with another keeper coming in on loan.

We were ok for 40 minutes then fell apart, I thought the first subs worked and we looked a threat but the Sylla for Rangel sub just made things a lot worse.

Baptiste did well as did Rangel the BFG looked league 2 and Bidwell had a shocker

The DOF seems to be getting away with murder though this is Les's squad and its not very good and we are not even remotely competitive.

We are going to need a manager that can really punch above their weight to save us from relegation and I don't think there is any evidence in his career that Schteeve can do it

Totally agree about Ingram.

Said before the match on here, what has he got to do to get dropped.

Amazingly many on here had him in their team for yesterday before the game - wow!

If I was Lumley and don't get picked for Saturday, I would walk out.
are there any McLaren fans still out there tonight! on 10:26 - Aug 22 with 1383 viewsPinnerPaul

are there any McLaren fans still out there tonight! on 22:58 - Aug 21 by Rs_Holy

Sorry Brian I didn’t mean to split the fans but I genuinely wondered if those supporting McLaren still did after this evening!... if they do then fair enough it’s all about opinions.
We all support QPR and want what’s best for the club!...nothing would please me more than Shteve turning this around and Rangers getting a hard fought win on Saturday!

I'm not sure there can be many hailing Steve right now, but the key is your phrase 'what's best for the club'

Is sacking the manager 4 games in, best for club and players - we just don't know obviously, my inclination is that it wouldn't solve much, but obviously the league record makes the counter argument pretty difficult to dismiss.
are there any McLaren fans still out there tonight! on 10:27 - Aug 22 with 1379 viewsrobith

are there any McLaren fans still out there tonight! on 09:05 - Aug 22 by ElHoop

Until the owners sell up we won't even be able to arrange the deckchairs properly on our sinking ship - in fact we've probably paid some pikey to take away the effing deckchairs or we loaned them to Rotherham.

The richest person in the world could take over the club but they wouldn't be able to spend a penny due to FFP
are there any McLaren fans still out there tonight! on 10:27 - Aug 22 with 1378 viewsPinnerPaul

are there any McLaren fans still out there tonight! on 23:19 - Aug 21 by BrianMcCarthy

Good to hear. My mates at it said the same.

There wasn't any divide because EVERYONE was p****d off!
are there any McLaren fans still out there tonight! on 10:27 - Aug 22 with 1378 viewsQPR_John

are there any McLaren fans still out there tonight! on 09:12 - Aug 22 by kropotkin41

Yeah, exactly. Well, the way out if it exists is a new stadium that is part of a new financial set-up. And very probably a long spell in the lower leagues.

I fear you are probably right
are there any McLaren fans still out there tonight! on 10:31 - Aug 22 with 1371 viewsisawqpratwcity

are there any McLaren fans still out there tonight! on 09:09 - Aug 22 by kropotkin41

Last roll of the dice and a pretty clear sign, I'd say of confusion at the top....... I don't know who wanted McClaren but doesn't he seem like an ill fit? That's not to say the man is useless, but we are a proper special needs outfit.

I don't want to speculate on who decided on McClaren without clear evidence, partly because I thought it disgraceful that Fernandes boasted about over-ruling Ferdinand and Hoos over Holloway. But maybe one nod in McClaren's direction was that he might have more credibility to attract some of our bargain-basement picks. I said 'last roll of the dice' because I definitely think that, post-parachute payments next summer, we will be a selling club regardless.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

are there any McLaren fans still out there tonight! on 10:33 - Aug 22 with 1369 viewsPinnerPaul

I think that's a little unfair.

We looked disjointed after Sylla came on because we were playing 1-5-4.

Up to the 1st goal we looked OK. Even after 2nd, after 10 mins of feeling sorry for ourselves we got back in it and Eze missed that open goal.
are there any McLaren fans still out there tonight! on 10:38 - Aug 22 with 1357 viewsbaz_qpr

Just on the FFP thing, we could choose to breach it again as have many clubs including those promoted in recent years, we would just have to take another transfer ban, but might be preferable to relegation
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024