Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Favourite Moments of favourite players 13:43 - Nov 6 with 9547 viewsAntti_Heinola

Can't face work at the moment, so here's a little bit of fun. 5 cult favourites - what was your favourite single memory of each of these below? I've kicked it off...

1. Danny Shittu
Still think the day, think it was against Norwich, he got elbowed. Went off, changed his shirt, looked furious, came on, immediately scored with a header from a corner. Good luck stopping him when he's in that mood.

2. Adel Taraabt
Always the Swansea goal after the nutmeg of Joe Allen. The fact you can hear the crowd make a weird 'oooh' noise before it goes in, not believing what they're seeing does it for me.

3. Kevin Gallen
Very tough, so much to choose. But his first goal v Sheff Wed, even if it was scuffed, was amazing for me. We're the same age, and I thought he was the next Gary Lineker.

4. Danny Maddix
Gingerly warming up before the Palace 6-0. He was very doubtful, but vital to us. He played, he was magnificent. As always.

5. Lee Cook
Continually taking the piss out of Butterfield I think it was v Palace in a game we won 4-2. Absolutely unstoppable that day.

Bare bones.

Favourite Moments of favourite players on 14:09 - Nov 7 with 1505 viewsMick_S

Favourite Moments of favourite players on 13:29 - Nov 7 by Antti_Heinola

Well now you've done that, we need a Willo one too!
It has to be the penalty v Millwall, 5th Round of the Cup for me. Nerveless. Really thought we'd win it that year until we got bloody Man Utd in the quarters.

But also with Willo, in any game, a player charging towards goal, a goal looking on the cards, then seeing Willo chasing and just thinking 'it's all right, it's Willo.' And he'd take the ball. He was like Des Walker as a left back in that respect. Brilliant.

Good mention of Akos above - so many for him, but that incredible chip he did against... someone, at the School End. God I miss Akos.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Favourite Moments of favourite players on 14:57 - Nov 7 with 1444 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Not a favourite player and I don’t usually like picking on players but Tamas Priskin. I’ll never forget watching one game in particular where he was so useless, so ineffectual that the opposition that day just completely ignored him. There was an area about 10m sq, somewhere between their defense and the halfway line that he barely left all game. Occasionally the ball would go to him and that was that!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Favourite Moments of favourite players on 15:20 - Nov 7 with 1429 viewsStanisgod

Gavin Maguire decapitating John Chidoze and winning a throw.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Favourite Moments of favourite players on 15:28 - Nov 7 with 1420 viewsDevonWhite

Martin Rowlands' goal at Wrexham on a Tuesday night in the 2003/4 season. 1-0 up, down to ten men for most of the second half, massively under the cosh, into injury time...

Absolutely lost my sh*t.
Favourite Moments of favourite players on 15:55 - Nov 7 with 1403 viewsNorthernr

Favourite Moments of favourite players on 15:28 - Nov 7 by DevonWhite

Martin Rowlands' goal at Wrexham on a Tuesday night in the 2003/4 season. 1-0 up, down to ten men for most of the second half, massively under the cosh, into injury time...

Absolutely lost my sh*t.

Chris Day made on of the greatest saves of all time just before that.
Favourite Moments of favourite players on 16:01 - Nov 7 with 1394 viewsDevonWhite

Favourite Moments of favourite players on 15:55 - Nov 7 by Northernr

Chris Day made on of the greatest saves of all time just before that.

Yeah, probably even better than the Oldham one which is saying something.
Favourite Moments of favourite players on 16:56 - Nov 7 with 1350 viewsloftboy

Favourite Moments of favourite players on 13:11 - Nov 7 by MrSheen

Embroidered a little, but here it is.

Clarke scored the season after.

The Colin Clarke one also involved a suspect challenge on the keeper

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Favourite Moments of favourite players on 17:08 - Nov 7 with 1346 viewsessextaxiboy

Ray Wilkins having a gentle jog through the midfield at LR. Left winger drills a pass infield like a shot 6 inches from the turf . Without breaking stride Ray lets it go halfway through his legs then clips it with the inside of his right heel straight into the stride of the right back advancing on the opposite wing . ... Rolls Royce ...
Login to get fewer ads

Favourite Moments of favourite players on 17:28 - Nov 7 with 1340 viewsloftus77

Not a favourite player as such, but surprised no one’s mentioned a certain Mr D Bailey? Need i say more?
Favourite Moments of favourite players on 19:06 - Nov 7 with 1308 viewshamptonhillhoop

Favourite Moments of favourite players on 13:11 - Nov 7 by MrSheen

Embroidered a little, but here it is.

Clarke scored the season after.

The thing I remember about that game is some blatant time wasting by Norwich. Rob Newman is a name that comes to mind. That goal was celebrated like a winner
Favourite Moments of favourite players on 19:52 - Nov 7 with 1266 viewsM40R

It's funny how these memories stick but for me a good one was Clint's performance in a night match at home v Ipswich. We were having a slight wobble and Warnock had replaced Gorkss and Connolly with Onesize and Shittu. We were all over them but could not score until sheer perspiration and grit from Clint got two goals. One was a run and cross from the man himself, followed by a header to put him on the scoresheet. After that the Title was no longer in doubt (save of course the Faurlin points deduction shambles).
Favourite Moments of favourite players on 20:16 - Nov 7 with 1245 viewsMrSheen

Richard Langley taking a corner in front of P Block (against Blackpool?), having it cleared back out to him, then belting it in, in a big curve over the keeper’s head.
Favourite Moments of favourite players on 20:41 - Nov 7 with 1222 viewsenfieldargh

Stan Bowles up at Ayersome Park late 70's.

Its fricking freezing and theres a howling wind.

Stan sets to take a corner, sticks a finger in his mouth and holds it up to test the wind direction.

I think we scored from it, may have been the 1-1 Martyn Busby scoring

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Favourite Moments of favourite players on 21:24 - Nov 7 with 1182 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

Favourite Moments of favourite players on 14:57 - Nov 7 by CliveWilsonSaid

Not a favourite player and I don’t usually like picking on players but Tamas Priskin. I’ll never forget watching one game in particular where he was so useless, so ineffectual that the opposition that day just completely ignored him. There was an area about 10m sq, somewhere between their defense and the halfway line that he barely left all game. Occasionally the ball would go to him and that was that!

Hard to believe he only turned 32 in September. He seemed about 38 when he played for us eight years ago.
Favourite Moments of favourite players on 23:10 - Nov 7 with 1123 viewsFDC

Favourite Moments of favourite players on 15:50 - Nov 6 by Toast_R

What really fcks me off about the Taarabt one is that, that was the only game I missed that season because of the f*cking tube strike on boxing day. I tried to drive it but gave up as it was nearly half time and I was stuck behind the brain dead morons queuing to get into Westfields.. on f*cking boxing day!!!!!

Conversely it holds a special place for me because it's the only game my brother, who isn't really in to football, joined me for, and even he could see how special Taarabt was that day. Where we were sat in B block you could totally see Allen's expression as he got nut megged
Favourite Moments of favourite players on 23:40 - Nov 7 with 1105 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I remember being at Wycombe at of his first games and the fans slagging him off.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Favourite Moments of favourite players on 23:55 - Nov 7 with 1100 viewsPeterHucker

Favourite Moments of favourite players on 15:28 - Nov 7 by DevonWhite

Absolutely lost my sh*t.

Love that Rowlands goal.
I can spot me and the Mrs going crazy on the top tier in that video.

Talking of Rowlands his goal when we won up at Sunderland and Furlong's one in the same match where everyone was screaming at him to pass to Gallen.

Favourite Moments of favourite players on 04:27 - Nov 8 with 1075 viewsjtuck

Clive Allen debut in 1979. He scored a hat-trick as a 17 year-old in 5-1 First Division home win over Coventry.

Indelible memory of first goal watching from Loft End. Ball played up to Clive on half-way line with his back to a Coventry defender. He does this fantastic spin, losing the defender and is off and running at top speed with the ball at his feet. And then well before you'd expect he shoots hard and low into the corner from outside the penalty area. Fabulous. World-class. Best natural goal scorer I have ever seen.

LAranger

Favourite Moments of favourite players on 06:46 - Nov 8 with 1053 viewsloftboy

Favourite Moments of favourite players on 04:27 - Nov 8 by jtuck

Clive Allen debut in 1979. He scored a hat-trick as a 17 year-old in 5-1 First Division home win over Coventry.

Indelible memory of first goal watching from Loft End. Ball played up to Clive on half-way line with his back to a Coventry defender. He does this fantastic spin, losing the defender and is off and running at top speed with the ball at his feet. And then well before you'd expect he shoots hard and low into the corner from outside the penalty area. Fabulous. World-class. Best natural goal scorer I have ever seen.

As he continued to prove every time he played against us!

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Favourite Moments of favourite players on 08:46 - Nov 8 with 1016 viewscolinallcars

Favourite Moments of favourite players on 16:55 - Nov 6 by PinnerPaul

A few from Stan the Man

'Where's your wife Stanley?' sang the crowd - he turned round and just shrugged his shoulders.

A wonderful dribble through the whole Arsenal defence at the loft end, shot just over though

So many more, but I'll close with a wonderful last minute free kick to beat Coventry 3-2 under the lights at the Loft end in the FA Cup. Only down side of that one was Mr Gregory refused to let TV cameras in, as it was the only game that night, so he thought highlights being shown would affect the gate - different times!

As I remember it, the crowd used to sing “where's you wife gone Stanley Bowles?” Then answer their own question with “ wiv the milkman, wiv the milkman, wiv the milkman, Stanley Bowles”

What's a milkman I hear youngsters say !
Favourite Moments of favourite players on 09:31 - Nov 8 with 997 viewsngbqpr

One from each decade in which I've been following the Rs...

70s.
One of my first matches...think it was 74-75...2-0 win vs Sunderland.
Sitting in the Ellerslie with my mum, mesmerised by Stan's dribbling.
He turns the whole mackem defence inside out before coolly slotting home.
It was on the Big Match the next day and Brian Moore delivered what is still my all time favourite piece of commentary:
"That's in...that's two...THAT'S BOWLES".

80s.
Not especially a favourite player, tho he clearly had his cult moments...
NYE 1988, away at the Dell.
In that morning's papers, Martin Allen has, unbelievably, been linked with a move to Man Utd. As he miscontrols yet another simple pass and gifts possession back to the Saints, my mate stands up (we'd treated ourselves to seats) and shouts out "just f**k off to United, Allen!", to many murmurs of agreement.
10 seconds later, Mad Dog wins the ball back, strides forward a few yards, and unleashes a 30 yard piledriver into the top corner.
We win 4-1, Falco starring, and I see out the year at Brixton Academy with an acid house party starring Todd Terry & many more.

90s.
So many to choose from - well in the first half of the decade anyway. Hard to top the 4-1 v Spurs, especially Ray's diving header (neat ball from Olly here):

00s.
Less than 24 hours after a hernia op, I attend our League Cup game at Stamford Bridge.
Midway through the first half, a ball is played along the ground to Ale Faurlin in the centre circle, and in one sumptuous move, he turns 180 degrees and delivers an inch perfect first time pass right into the path of our winger.

10s.
Hard to look beyond Adel.
So many to choose from, but I'm going for this as it was on my birthday, and on MOTD I saw my son in the celebrating crowd due to his lime green sweatshirt (not on this clip):

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Favourite Moments of favourite players on 09:51 - Nov 8 with 974 viewsstevec

John Burridge save at Charlton. Low shot that deflected over his head, somehow went from a dive lowdown to a back flip and tip shot over, had to be seen to be believed. Incredible agility.

Don Givens near post glancing headers, they don't seem to do them any more.
Favourite Moments of favourite players on 09:56 - Nov 8 with 970 viewsHantsR

Favourite Moments of favourite players on 09:31 - Nov 8 by ngbqpr

One from each decade in which I've been following the Rs...

70s.
One of my first matches...think it was 74-75...2-0 win vs Sunderland.
Sitting in the Ellerslie with my mum, mesmerised by Stan's dribbling.
He turns the whole mackem defence inside out before coolly slotting home.
It was on the Big Match the next day and Brian Moore delivered what is still my all time favourite piece of commentary:
"That's in...that's two...THAT'S BOWLES".

80s.
Not especially a favourite player, tho he clearly had his cult moments...
NYE 1988, away at the Dell.
In that morning's papers, Martin Allen has, unbelievably, been linked with a move to Man Utd. As he miscontrols yet another simple pass and gifts possession back to the Saints, my mate stands up (we'd treated ourselves to seats) and shouts out "just f**k off to United, Allen!", to many murmurs of agreement.
10 seconds later, Mad Dog wins the ball back, strides forward a few yards, and unleashes a 30 yard piledriver into the top corner.
We win 4-1, Falco starring, and I see out the year at Brixton Academy with an acid house party starring Todd Terry & many more.

90s.
So many to choose from - well in the first half of the decade anyway. Hard to top the 4-1 v Spurs, especially Ray's diving header (neat ball from Olly here):

00s.
Less than 24 hours after a hernia op, I attend our League Cup game at Stamford Bridge.
Midway through the first half, a ball is played along the ground to Ale Faurlin in the centre circle, and in one sumptuous move, he turns 180 degrees and delivers an inch perfect first time pass right into the path of our winger.

10s.
Hard to look beyond Adel.
So many to choose from, but I'm going for this as it was on my birthday, and on MOTD I saw my son in the celebrating crowd due to his lime green sweatshirt (not on this clip):

Yes I would have chosen that Taraabt goal as a worthy second to the sublime Swansea gem. I think the top of my head is just visible in the front row in the final shot, to the right of goal (and I guess to the left in the opening shot). I was 'carer' to Hantshoop at the time.
[Post edited 8 Nov 2018 10:55]
Favourite Moments of favourite players on 10:17 - Nov 8 with 947 viewsTheChef

Favourite Moments of favourite players on 23:55 - Nov 7 by PeterHucker

Love that Rowlands goal.
I can spot me and the Mrs going crazy on the top tier in that video.

Talking of Rowlands his goal when we won up at Sunderland and Furlong's one in the same match where everyone was screaming at him to pass to Gallen.

Amazing performance and goals that day, was gutted we conceded a late equaliser as we so deserved the three points.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Favourite Moments of favourite players on 10:22 - Nov 8 with 941 viewsTheChef

Championship season away at Barnsley, Helguson gets bundled over into the concrete dugouts, he just dusts himself down and rejoins the fray. Typical of the player, loved Heidur.

Also probably never celebrated an away win as much as that one that Tuesday night. Biggest homer ref ever, backs to the wall, we saw out a 1-0 win. Finally felt that night that we were going to get promoted.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024