Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
When we lost 7-1 to WBA back in august 18:12 - Dec 15 with 6093 viewsloftboy

Did anyone envisage that two weeks before Christmas that they would have only won two more games than us?

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

When we lost 7-1 to WBA back in august on 20:38 - Dec 16 with 1775 viewsdavman

Yep, I wanted him gone after the Bristol City game as there was no kind of reaction fron the WBA debacle.

He deserves masses of credit, but so do the players. They could have downed tools to get him out, but thy didn't. They dug in against Brum (do not underestimate the impact that game had; yes, they were there for the taking, but not losing was the key to get the belief back) after digging in to win that first game v Wigan.

They and the manager changed the way of playing and they have believed in what he is trying to do every game since then bar Swansea away.

I am still trying not to think of next season when we have to replace Cameron and Wells, but at least we'll still be in this league...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

When we lost 7-1 to WBA back in august on 10:24 - Dec 17 with 1682 viewskropotkin41

When we lost 7-1 to WBA back in august on 20:38 - Dec 16 by davman

Yep, I wanted him gone after the Bristol City game as there was no kind of reaction fron the WBA debacle.

He deserves masses of credit, but so do the players. They could have downed tools to get him out, but thy didn't. They dug in against Brum (do not underestimate the impact that game had; yes, they were there for the taking, but not losing was the key to get the belief back) after digging in to win that first game v Wigan.

They and the manager changed the way of playing and they have believed in what he is trying to do every game since then bar Swansea away.

I am still trying not to think of next season when we have to replace Cameron and Wells, but at least we'll still be in this league...

Sadly it's going to get even more difficult to defy gravity next season isn't it? I suppose we won't be alone in that, and we know that Hoos has had his eye on what is going to happen to the revenue side for several years now.

Maybe we'll make a fortune on a FA Cup run......... I mean there are people saying we'll win at Forest next week....... who knows?

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

When we lost 7-1 to WBA back in august on 10:47 - Dec 17 with 1662 viewsCamberleyR

When we lost 7-1 to WBA back in august on 20:23 - Dec 16 by Juzzie

After being 2-0 down at half time with both goals scored by an ex QPR player.

That would pi$$ them right off, again!

"After being 2-0 down at half time with both goals scored by an ex QPR player. "

That'll be Matt Phillips then...

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

When we lost 7-1 to WBA back in august on 12:22 - Dec 17 with 1631 viewsrsonist

When we lost 7-1 to WBA back in august on 20:38 - Dec 16 by davman

We're having to watch the pennies but everyone else is still torching money left and right.... there will always be decent players going to waste somewhere else. What we've done this season isn't the easiest trick to keep repeating by any means but no reason not to back ourselves either.

(Would love to somehow keep hold of Wells though obviously.)

Also don't forget FFP ought to finally start clobbering clubs that aren't us next season.
When we lost 7-1 to WBA back in august on 22:01 - Dec 22 with 1480 viewsisawqpratwcity

When we lost 7-1 to WBA back in august on 09:12 - Dec 16 by paulparker

Olly did deserve another season and I stand by that, he did nothing wrong in fact he bought along players who one day are going to bring in the club a lot of money
Mclaren has done ok after a very bad start we are 13th, we finished 16th last year
What mclaren has that Olly didn’t is 3 well established loan signings who played in The prem Olly didn’t have a wells or tomed he had sylla and Washington who mclaren has ditched from the off
Olly didn’t had such a luxury
as for wasting this parachute money can you get enlighten me on who Olly has wasted this on ?
Under him we bought in freeman, scowen , BOS, Smith, smyth, he was the one who gave manning a run when he was going to be ditched, he made a Hall a sweeper/midfielder and if it wasn’t for injury we could be talking about a 5 million plus player he gave Eze, chair, lumley , Oteh , their debuts gave furlong a run at CB, made Freeman a run of the mill left winger into a competent centre midfielder
He got a lot wrong but he also left the club in s better position than what it was in when he started
So yeah he does deserve our respect
Now mclaren il give credit to , he thought he could come in and play like Brazil circa 70 and we were getting torn a new one , we were garbage but he changed it and I can hold up my hands and say that I was wrong , if I’m getting carried away well that’s what a couple of beers do whilst watching the team tear apart a team who has spent millions , in the cold light of day I’d take staying up in the championship ,

To give Olly another season would be to deny the place to a decent manager like McClaren. Do you really think we would be chasing a play-off place now under Holloway? Not a chance.
If Holloway is so good developing younger players then put him in charge of the U23s. The manager of the first team has to get results, something Holloway did all too infrequently. Another season for him would be another finish in the clear bottom half. He couldn't improve on the record of either Ramsey or Hasselbaink, and both of them also left the club in a better state working under severe financial restrictions.
You ask what Holloway did with the parachute money? He did nothing with it! Parachute payments are a limited resource, and having done nothing with them for eighteen months you wanted to give him the final year's worth to run through his fingers? Unbelievable! As Annti pointed out, the departures over summer and the astute timing of our loan signings means that this squad is probably no more expensive, possibly even cheaper, than last season's. Eighteen months of missed opportunity.

McClaren's performance has proved that Holloway was a mistake. You'd take just staying in the Championship again as a satisfactory result? Not me. I want us to be competitive.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

When we lost 7-1 to WBA back in august on 22:24 - Dec 22 with 1389 viewspaulparker

When we lost 7-1 to WBA back in august on 22:01 - Dec 22 by isawqpratwcity

To give Olly another season would be to deny the place to a decent manager like McClaren. Do you really think we would be chasing a play-off place now under Holloway? Not a chance.
If Holloway is so good developing younger players then put him in charge of the U23s. The manager of the first team has to get results, something Holloway did all too infrequently. Another season for him would be another finish in the clear bottom half. He couldn't improve on the record of either Ramsey or Hasselbaink, and both of them also left the club in a better state working under severe financial restrictions.
You ask what Holloway did with the parachute money? He did nothing with it! Parachute payments are a limited resource, and having done nothing with them for eighteen months you wanted to give him the final year's worth to run through his fingers? Unbelievable! As Annti pointed out, the departures over summer and the astute timing of our loan signings means that this squad is probably no more expensive, possibly even cheaper, than last season's. Eighteen months of missed opportunity.

McClaren's performance has proved that Holloway was a mistake. You'd take just staying in the Championship again as a satisfactory result? Not me. I want us to be competitive.

Chasing a play off place ? Let’s see where we are after feb if we are in with a shout if it then fair enough, the main aim with this squad is to stay up anything after that is a bonus
You obviously have a problem with the likes of warnock and Olly and I cannot be arsed to argue the t0ss with you as you clearly like to think you’re correct on everything
Olly had no money , his job was to keep us up and competitive he did that as well as playing the youngsters he had no control over transfers , not all of it was good I grant you but he did a good job here and deserves respect
Btw if McLaren finishes 16th then would you say he has underachieved? Considering we finished that under Olly

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

When we lost 7-1 to WBA back in august on 22:37 - Dec 22 with 1356 viewsQPR_John

When we lost 7-1 to WBA back in august on 22:24 - Dec 22 by paulparker

Chasing a play off place ? Let’s see where we are after feb if we are in with a shout if it then fair enough, the main aim with this squad is to stay up anything after that is a bonus
You obviously have a problem with the likes of warnock and Olly and I cannot be arsed to argue the t0ss with you as you clearly like to think you’re correct on everything
Olly had no money , his job was to keep us up and competitive he did that as well as playing the youngsters he had no control over transfers , not all of it was good I grant you but he did a good job here and deserves respect
Btw if McLaren finishes 16th then would you say he has underachieved? Considering we finished that under Olly

"Btw if McLaren finishes 16th then would you say he has underachieved? Considering we finished that under Olly"

Don't you think points are a better indication of achievement
When we lost 7-1 to WBA back in august on 22:48 - Dec 22 with 1317 viewsdanehoop

PP, don't entirely disagree with you on Olly, but to say that he had no money isn't true, he still had funds and used them, albeit they were much reduced. McLaren has had less to work with as a result of a much reduced playing budget which has cone from both FFP and the impending end of parachute money. Funds were found to bring in the 3 loans which I think had been critical in buying him the breathing space to coach and develop the squad. He hasn't really had the options that Olly had, but seems to have built successfully on the foundations that Olly provided I think in way that Olly would have struggled to do.

Never knowingly understood

Login to get fewer ads

When we lost 7-1 to WBA back in august on 23:04 - Dec 22 with 1269 viewsisawqpratwcity

Competitive under Holloway? How were we competitive over the last eighteen months under Holloway? We were wildly inconsistent and, overall, not very good. And both Ramsey and Hasselbaink did a better job by any objective measure of results.

No control over transfers? Rubbish. You think the manager and DoF act entirely independent of each other?

Don't come that bollox about me having a problem with Warnock and Holloway. This isn't about the man, it's about the performance.

You can't have it both ways. You can't say that Holloway deserved another season when you can't miss that McClaren is clearly doing a much better job. Not even 2T2B can argue that one.

When we lost 7-1 to WBA back in august on 23:11 - Dec 22 with 1247 viewsVancouverHoop

I think the last two matches have shown what Mclaren brings to the party. We've been without three of the four loanees, plus a starting CB for a game and a half, yet the team hasn't missed a beat on the pitch. That's excellent coaching and management. I – and I'm guessing others – were fearful of going into Christmas on the back of three losses rather than two good wins plus a game at Leeds we really deserved something from. We've become a very hard team to play against and that's mainly down to Schteve and his assistants as much as it is the players.
When we lost 7-1 to WBA back in august on 23:37 - Dec 22 with 1198 viewsisawqpratwcity

When we lost 7-1 to WBA back in august on 23:11 - Dec 22 by VancouverHoop

I think the last two matches have shown what Mclaren brings to the party. We've been without three of the four loanees, plus a starting CB for a game and a half, yet the team hasn't missed a beat on the pitch. That's excellent coaching and management. I – and I'm guessing others – were fearful of going into Christmas on the back of three losses rather than two good wins plus a game at Leeds we really deserved something from. We've become a very hard team to play against and that's mainly down to Schteve and his assistants as much as it is the players.

Very pertinent observations.

When we lost 7-1 to WBA back in august on 23:50 - Dec 22 with 1175 viewsBlackCrowe

"Btw if McLaren finishes 16th then would you say he has underachieved? Considering we finished that under Olly"

Yes is the answer from me. I love watching my team again, I quite liked watching them under Ollie.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

When we lost 7-1 to WBA back in august on 00:05 - Dec 23 with 1128 viewstraininvain

Agreed. Forest supporters comparing us to last season’s Preston in terms of being well organised and tough to break down. I’ll take that.
When we lost 7-1 to WBA back in august on 00:30 - Dec 23 with 1071 viewsnix

One thing I think Schteeve has also realised is that not all games are equal. I think he knew this match against Forest was an important psychological match for the fans to win and a hurdle for the players to get over. Yes, they hadn't played in all the other 34 matches but the press still hang the most matches lost sign over their heads every year at the city ground. He made us hard to beat after the goal went in and it may not have been pretty but it got us over the line.
When we lost 7-1 to WBA back in august on 08:53 - Dec 23 with 905 viewspaulparker

When we lost 7-1 to WBA back in august on 23:04 - Dec 22 by isawqpratwcity

Competitive under Holloway? How were we competitive over the last eighteen months under Holloway? We were wildly inconsistent and, overall, not very good. And both Ramsey and Hasselbaink did a better job by any objective measure of results.

No control over transfers? Rubbish. You think the manager and DoF act entirely independent of each other?

Don't come that bollox about me having a problem with Warnock and Holloway. This isn't about the man, it's about the performance.

You can't have it both ways. You can't say that Holloway deserved another season when you can't miss that McClaren is clearly doing a much better job. Not even 2T2B can argue that one.

Yeah it was awful under Holloway the man was a clown and a load of crap
JFH and Ramey are much better managers , your so right

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

When we lost 7-1 to WBA back in august on 10:18 - Dec 23 with 827 viewsTheChef

Exactly, it shows what a good coach can do and how everyone in the squad knows what their role is.

Yesterday while a bit nervy I still felt quietly confident we'd get the job done because we had a gameplan and formation the players could stick to.

Props to Scowen who was really on his game yesterday, and I'd like to think McClaren and the coaching staff played a part in that.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

When we lost 7-1 to WBA back in august on 10:30 - Dec 23 with 814 viewstimcocking

At this point in time, i'm sure we'd all have more confidence in MaClaren than Ollie.

Ian Holloway still did a good job at a horrible time, though. No need to be calling him awful and stuff. He did his best, i'm grateful and wish him all the best. With the benefit of hindsight, though, i'd say the board made a very brave, tough call and they got it right against my better judgement.

Time for people to let it go and stop bringing up Holloway so often imo, he's no longer here and we're going pretty well.
When we lost 7-1 to WBA back in august on 10:42 - Dec 23 with 794 viewsmcqpr10

I like that we have a consistent team and that the changes are only brought about by injury
When we lost 7-1 to WBA back in august on 11:25 - Dec 23 with 755 viewspeejaybee

FFP may be a blessing in disguise in as much as it makes us work with what we have and might force us to use what we have got.If so I am in favour of FFP long may it last

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

When we lost 7-1 to WBA back in august on 11:36 - Dec 23 with 737 viewsDavieQPR

Holloway only introduced the youngster when injuries forced him to. Do you think he would have dropped Mackie but for injury. Holloway actually almost destroyed the youngsters by playing them for one week and then, regardless of how well they played,
dropping them for the next 3/4 weeks.
When we lost 7-1 to WBA back in august on 11:47 - Dec 23 with 719 viewsfrancisbowles

When we lost 7-1 to WBA back in august on 10:30 - Dec 23 by timcocking

At this point in time, i'm sure we'd all have more confidence in MaClaren than Ollie.

Ian Holloway still did a good job at a horrible time, though. No need to be calling him awful and stuff. He did his best, i'm grateful and wish him all the best. With the benefit of hindsight, though, i'd say the board made a very brave, tough call and they got it right against my better judgement.

Time for people to let it go and stop bringing up Holloway so often imo, he's no longer here and we're going pretty well.

Agree with all of that!
When we lost 7-1 to WBA back in august on 11:59 - Dec 23 with 700 viewsdaveB

When we lost 7-1 to WBA back in august on 11:36 - Dec 23 by DavieQPR

Holloway only introduced the youngster when injuries forced him to. Do you think he would have dropped Mackie but for injury. Holloway actually almost destroyed the youngsters by playing them for one week and then, regardless of how well they played,
dropping them for the next 3/4 weeks.

Almost destroyed them a bit strong. Putting them in and seeing them do well and then taking them out so the manager gets the blame rather than fans turning on the kid when they have a few bad games is decent management. He should have done that with Oteh as well but over played him a bit until he had a few poor games and not seen again, he learnt from that and didn't make same mistake with Eze,Chair and Smyth.

Upshot of it was we had several kids with first team experience coming into this season, whether he forced to do that or did it by choice doesn't really matter. McClaren only brought Pawel back in due to injuries and thats worked well.

Find it bizarre that so many want to re write what Holloway did, he did a decent job and McClaren has come in and built on that to take it further, we should be happy
When we lost 7-1 to WBA back in august on 12:22 - Dec 23 with 673 viewsPinnerPaul

When we lost 7-1 to WBA back in august on 18:37 - Dec 15 by Toast_R

Didnt think we'd get Wells in on loan. Thought we'd be bottom three all season, basically what Ipswich are doing.

Wells has certainly made a difference and Angel and Cameron have been good, but the last two games have rather put to bed the myth that McClaren has somehow 'bought' success.
When we lost 7-1 to WBA back in august on 12:38 - Dec 23 with 651 viewsStanFan

I thought that Olly deserved another season. I was underwhelmed by the appointment of SM. I was completely prepared for a disastrous season after the first 4 games. I'm thoroughly enjoying being wrong on all 3 counts.

Yes, we got Wells, Hemed, Cameron and Rangel which has obviously helped. But we also lost Smithies, Onuoha and Robinson. And only one of the 4 late signings has played in the last 2 matches.

So well done Steve. You're doing a great job.

And happy Christmas to all R's everywhere!
When we lost 7-1 to WBA back in august on 12:45 - Dec 23 with 630 viewskensalriser

When we lost 7-1 to WBA back in august on 11:59 - Dec 23 by daveB

Almost destroyed them a bit strong. Putting them in and seeing them do well and then taking them out so the manager gets the blame rather than fans turning on the kid when they have a few bad games is decent management. He should have done that with Oteh as well but over played him a bit until he had a few poor games and not seen again, he learnt from that and didn't make same mistake with Eze,Chair and Smyth.

Upshot of it was we had several kids with first team experience coming into this season, whether he forced to do that or did it by choice doesn't really matter. McClaren only brought Pawel back in due to injuries and thats worked well.

Find it bizarre that so many want to re write what Holloway did, he did a decent job and McClaren has come in and built on that to take it further, we should be happy

Good points Dave.

On your last paragraph, maybe this is something that's happening in wider society, where everything seems to be reduced to an adversarial choice between two sides, ie if you liked Holloway you're not allowed to like McClaren and vice versa. All a bit infantile really.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024