Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sky Sports reporting it is to be Warburton 20:48 - May 6 with 32307 viewsFrankRightguard

That is all
Sky Sports reporting it is to be Warburton on 11:00 - May 7 with 3454 viewsPinnerPaul

Sky Sports reporting it is to be Warburton on 09:05 - May 7 by stevec

Best of the bunch listed and apparently a fan of Ramsey so hopefully that’ll gel.

Well I’m sick to death of this calling out of managers, time to get behind him and put the spotlight on our perennial under performers out on the pitch.

Yep - with you there.
Sky Sports reporting it is to be Warburton on 11:00 - May 7 with 3449 viewsBostonR

Sky Sports reporting it is to be Warburton on 10:31 - May 7 by Northernr

While it is true that players and managers tend to do well at Brentford because the club is set up right, Warburton did get them in the play offs, which is more than anybody else has managed. Although Dean Smith had them in the top four of his imaginary Justice League of course.

I don't know what to think, which isn't very useful as I'm going to have to write about this today. It wasn't a very inspiring list was it?

Clive-any insight into why he took the job? He is an intelligent bloke and something must have floated his boat.
Sky Sports reporting it is to be Warburton on 11:01 - May 7 with 3445 viewsPinnerPaul

Sky Sports reporting it is to be Warburton on 11:00 - May 7 by BostonR

Clive-any insight into why he took the job? He is an intelligent bloke and something must have floated his boat.

£s?
Sky Sports reporting it is to be Warburton on 11:06 - May 7 with 3397 viewsrsonist

While it is true that players and managers tend to do well at Brentford because the club is set up right, Warburton did get them in the play offs, which is more than anybody else has managed. Although Dean Smith had them in the top four of his imaginary Justice League of course.

I don't know what to think, which isn't very useful as I'm going to have to write about this today. It wasn't a very inspiring list was it?

There was a schism there when Benham decided that even though Warbs at the time was arguably the most progressive and continental-style English coach around they still weren't going far enough into the stats/science part. Warbs refused to comply.

(In the end they were both kinda right I'd say. Brentford had a rough season when they initially went too far with random Euro bargains but the subsequent shift in application of those stats to the domestic market has reaped dividends.)

Their previously successful relationship was described with some detail in The Nowhere Men, and is likely the model we'll be pursuing.
Sky Sports reporting it is to be Warburton on 11:09 - May 7 with 3364 viewsrsonist

Presumably if something changes at Fleetwood we can firmly expect a role for Clint now.

Also Bidwell's lottery numbers have come in. Manning to midfield again now you'd think.
Sky Sports reporting it is to be Warburton on 11:11 - May 7 with 3344 viewslondonscottish

Sky Sports reporting it is to be Warburton on 23:16 - May 6 by daveB

He was a director of football once so shouldn't be a problem. His issue was with how Brentford changed how they scouted and signed players which has worked pretty well for them

IIRC it was because the Brentford owner who made his money in tech and analytics wanted to use more of those techniques in assessing, buying & developing players.

Warburton presumably thought it was step too far or that it undermined his role.

Seems to be working OK though - especially when you see the sell-on fees that Brentford get and which Rangers don't.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Sky Sports reporting it is to be Warburton on 11:13 - May 7 with 3329 viewsrsonist

Sky Sports reporting it is to be Warburton on 11:00 - May 7 by BostonR

What other jobs in football as a manager did he have lined up? It's as high a level as he'll be offered at this point and (finances aside) the working environment aligns to his philosophy.
Sky Sports reporting it is to be Warburton on 11:14 - May 7 with 3328 viewssimmo

Sky Sports reporting it is to be Warburton on 11:06 - May 7 by rsonist

There was a schism there when Benham decided that even though Warbs at the time was arguably the most progressive and continental-style English coach around they still weren't going far enough into the stats/science part. Warbs refused to comply.

(In the end they were both kinda right I'd say. Brentford had a rough season when they initially went too far with random Euro bargains but the subsequent shift in application of those stats to the domestic market has reaped dividends.)

Their previously successful relationship was described with some detail in The Nowhere Men, and is likely the model we'll be pursuing.

Did Warburton not also refuse any signings that January before their embargo? Basically meant that Brentford had to sell loads of people that summer and didn't have replacements?

Think there was a lot of back and forth there. Overall I'm fairly happy too. He's an ex youth coach so knows how to work with youngsters, he's been a DoF so understands that role and it's importance, which also includes scouting, another part of his previous remit. He's managed in this league before and he's got some personality to go with him, which we'll need.

A little concerned that other than Brentford, he's not pulled up many trees (Rangers doesn't count, I could have done that) and seems quite a principled/cantankerous fella which may not go well if Uncle Tony wants to get back involved in things. Other than that though it seems the most widely positive person to give the job to and Eustace staying provides some consistency, although I always think managers that have coaches / number 2's given to them never work as well...

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Login to get fewer ads

Sky Sports reporting it is to be Warburton on 11:16 - May 7 with 3298 viewslondonscottish

Sky Sports reporting it is to be Warburton on 11:06 - May 7 by rsonist

That's a much better explanation than mine - thanks

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Sky Sports reporting it is to be Warburton on 11:30 - May 7 with 3222 viewsrsonist

Apparently at Forest his devastating total footballing vision was realised only once... against us. Everyone else they played had the nous to rumble him.
Sky Sports reporting it is to be Warburton on 11:35 - May 7 with 3189 viewsrsonist

Sky Sports reporting it is to be Warburton on 11:14 - May 7 by simmo

Did Warburton not also refuse any signings that January before their embargo? Basically meant that Brentford had to sell loads of people that summer and didn't have replacements?

Think there was a lot of back and forth there. Overall I'm fairly happy too. He's an ex youth coach so knows how to work with youngsters, he's been a DoF so understands that role and it's importance, which also includes scouting, another part of his previous remit. He's managed in this league before and he's got some personality to go with him, which we'll need.

A little concerned that other than Brentford, he's not pulled up many trees (Rangers doesn't count, I could have done that) and seems quite a principled/cantankerous fella which may not go well if Uncle Tony wants to get back involved in things. Other than that though it seems the most widely positive person to give the job to and Eustace staying provides some consistency, although I always think managers that have coaches / number 2's given to them never work as well...

Re Eustace:

Sky Sports reporting it is to be Warburton on 11:54 - May 7 with 3076 viewsqprxtc

He could be the best thing since sliced bread. If he uses his loaf, he’ll be the toast of the town.
Sky Sports reporting it is to be Warburton on 12:02 - May 7 with 3028 viewsMaggsinho

Sky Sports reporting it is to be Warburton on 11:01 - May 7 by PinnerPaul

£s?

I'm sure he's on a lot of dough.
Sky Sports reporting it is to be Warburton on 12:06 - May 7 with 3003 viewsdannyblue

Will he bring back Baps?
Sky Sports reporting it is to be Warburton on 12:23 - May 7 with 2878 viewsR_from_afar

If it is to be Warburton, I think that's a positive because much as I love and idolise Gareth - and Clint, Ollie, Derry, and Jackett (but not Barton) - we are severely limiting our options if the chosen one always has to be an ex-Rs player plus doesn't that suggest that there is a serious structural problem with our club if we can never have anyone unless they have worn the hoops?

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Sky Sports reporting it is to be Warburton on 12:29 - May 7 with 2843 viewssimmo

Sky Sports reporting it is to be Warburton on 11:35 - May 7 by rsonist

Re Eustace:

Well like I say, I don't necessarily think it's a good idea to have a number 2 put upon a manager that has history and maybe feels they have a claim at the number 1 spot themselves, but we'll see... Ramsey, Paul Hall and others will provide the consistency anyway and I'm sure one or both of them may be retained to work as part of the first team.

Sky Sports reporting it is to be Warburton on 12:32 - May 7 with 2829 viewsYorkRanger

If this is confirmed I'm happy enough with this. I'm not sure anyone should be judged on a short spell at Forest and the job he did at Brentford makes him look, at face value, a good appointment. I'm also happy if Eustace stays - some signs of promise whilst he has held the reins and worth trying to develop him further - a young, keen, up and coming potential manager of the future.

I think the equally salient point now is the club's plight is well documented. We are not an attractive proposition anymore and one may argue that in securing Warburton (assuming we do) we have punched above our weight...
Sky Sports reporting it is to be Warburton on 12:32 - May 7 with 2827 viewsJuzzie

Sky Sports reporting it is to be Warburton on 09:23 - May 7 by UruguayanRanger

Unfair to call him out for "failing" at Forest and Rangers.

Forest have had countless managers over the last decade and all have failed to deliver. Rangers have also been in a bizarre situation in the last few years since dropping from the Scottish Prem.

99% of Managers fail at some point. It's part of the job. No point holding it against them unless it's something regularly catastrophic.
Sky Sports reporting it is to be Warburton on 13:20 - May 7 with 2567 viewsMatch82

Sky Sports reporting it is to be Warburton on 12:23 - May 7 by R_from_afar

If it is to be Warburton, I think that's a positive because much as I love and idolise Gareth - and Clint, Ollie, Derry, and Jackett (but not Barton) - we are severely limiting our options if the chosen one always has to be an ex-Rs player plus doesn't that suggest that there is a serious structural problem with our club if we can never have anyone unless they have worn the hoops?

I look at the ex players thing a bit differently to most. I think of it more as giving us a chance of landing a candidate we wouldn't otherwise have got. You always see variations with managers (and players) on "why would he come here?" With people that have a fondness for the club, you have a chance of attracting people that on paper your have no right to.

But that doesn't mean that having an affiliation with the club should be a requirement of the hire
Sky Sports reporting it is to be Warburton on 13:36 - May 7 with 2456 viewsrsonist

Sky Sports reporting it is to be Warburton on 12:32 - May 7 by Juzzie

99% of Managers fail at some point. It's part of the job. No point holding it against them unless it's something regularly catastrophic.

If the question is whether the bloke is Good or Bad or a Winner or a Loser or whatever then yes, previous experience can often be deceiving.

If the question is whether there are consistently flawed patterns in his coaching wherever he goes, or in certain particular contexts, then it's fair game.

I flicked through The Nowhere Men again just now and as a Sporting Director he comes across like a dream, exactly the man we want saying everything we want to hear - you could definitely conclude the situation here with us is much better suited to him than at delusional high-strung Big Clubs with immediate targets like Forest or Rangers. But the big question is whether as a coach he is capable of bringing those beliefs to life on the pitch.

It's funny, the other day Antti wrote "Webber's point is such a good one. When people say 'this manager won't work under a DoF' I just think - well, he should become a DoF then". The response to that might be 'well why don't DoFs become managers then?'. We're about to find out.
Sky Sports reporting it is to be Warburton on 13:40 - May 7 with 2435 viewsdaveB

He also played a big part in getting the set up right at Brentford, did similar at Watford as well behind the scenes
Sky Sports reporting it is to be Warburton on 13:48 - May 7 with 2373 viewsTW_R

Sky Sports reporting it is to be Warburton on 23:17 - May 6 by daveB

I'd have had him in a few years ago when Redknapp went, good manager of course comes with risks and his failure at Forest is a concern but out of the candidates he stands out as the best one.

Am sure if he uses his...wait for it....loaf... he'll do well.

I was Breading some of these comments, but I like the way you sandwiched that one in there, no Bun intended!
Sky Sports reporting it is to be Warburton on 14:02 - May 7 with 2293 viewssimmo

The reaction to the Sky Sports story on Twitter is full of less than flattering responses from Forest, Rangers and some Brentford. All basically saying the same thing and quoting his interview cliches. It's hardly a fair representation of a fanbase opinion, especially on Twitter, but you'd hope he's learned from previous failures and can adjust.

They also talk about him playing out from the back and attractive football, which was terrifying at the start of this season and would require a flawless summer of transfers to be able to implement... Things like post-match cliches and the back 5 passing amongst themselves have been worn too thin already with our fanbase and he'll find that patience is at a premium generally.

I hope he is coming into this eyes wide open!

Sky Sports reporting it is to be Warburton on 14:24 - May 7 with 2177 viewsNorthernr

Sky Sports reporting it is to be Warburton on 14:02 - May 7 by simmo

The reaction to the Sky Sports story on Twitter is full of less than flattering responses from Forest, Rangers and some Brentford. All basically saying the same thing and quoting his interview cliches. It's hardly a fair representation of a fanbase opinion, especially on Twitter, but you'd hope he's learned from previous failures and can adjust.

They also talk about him playing out from the back and attractive football, which was terrifying at the start of this season and would require a flawless summer of transfers to be able to implement... Things like post-match cliches and the back 5 passing amongst themselves have been worn too thin already with our fanbase and he'll find that patience is at a premium generally.

I hope he is coming into this eyes wide open!

Yeh the interviews we've done for our piece are not positive.
Sky Sports reporting it is to be Warburton on 14:37 - May 7 with 2092 viewsDannyPaddox

Sky Sports reporting it is to be Warburton on 12:06 - May 7 by dannyblue

Will he bring back Baps?

Peter Y'eastoe?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024