Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ian Holloway podcast part two 08:11 - May 17 with 6901 viewsNorthernr

Some of the oddest radio you'll ever listen to

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/50341
Ian Holloway podcast part two on 19:00 - May 17 with 2425 viewsNorthernr

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 18:53 - May 17 by paulparker

Good post , I’ve moved on from Olly but some of the flack he gets on here is insane the usual suspects hate anyone it seems who have been successful at QPR

Just to say, if my previous post came across as slagging him off, it wasn't intended. I love him, for his playing days, and for both stints as manager. I wouldn't have sacked him, as I think I've made clear.
Ian Holloway podcast part two on 19:16 - May 17 with 2389 viewsqprd

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 18:49 - May 17 by smegma

Annoyance at Paul Smyth not being used.

A year ago Smyth and BOS absolutely destroyed Wednesday on a Tuesday night. 3-0 up on 15 minutes we declared at 4-2. Smyth was dropped 4 days later. After a poor performance he admitted his mistake in dropping him.

He never slags people off. I was invited to Harlington a couple of years ago along with about a dozen fans. He spent all day all day slagging off Adel saying what a disgrace he was etc... a player he had never worked with.

Then he told us about Ravel Morrison who was training with a depleted squad as it was international week. He told us how Ravel was always turning up late for training and that he was a wrong 'un. 10 days later he picked Ravel to start against the best team in the league Brighton in a live game on TV. To say his performance was embarrassingly pathetic is an understatement.

Proving Ollie is a hypocrite and has a memory like a sieve. Yet I still like him for what he did in 2002-20004.
[Post edited 17 May 2019 18:54]

yep, its easy to point out ollies inconsistencies

before eze, paul smyth, etc, the first real academy prospect that we were able to get excited about was shodipo.. he absolutely destroyed leeds right back in his debut so much so that garry monk actually subbed him off in the first half

shodipo was one of the brigtest players in our squad that season

in ollies first match, we were up 2-0 against 10 men norwich... ollie bizarrely took off mass and brought on shodipo. we gave up a late goal, had a nervy finish

after the match ollie criticised shodipos defending, stopped playing him and then loaned him out to port vale

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/holloway-lines-qpr-shodipo-kakay-loan-moves

there is literally no difference between mclaren loaning out smyth and ollie loaning out shodipo
Ian Holloway podcast part two on 20:38 - May 17 with 2297 viewsGroveR

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 17:47 - May 17 by Antti_Heinola

I had real sympathy for the hosts in there. If even Finney is struggling to get a word in, you know it's not easy. Plus Olly's so likeable you don't want to butt in or appear rude, especially when he's given up his spare time for nothing. you also don't want listeners to think you think you're making it all about yourself! It's a tightrope.

I've interviewed a lot of people too, and with talkers like him, it's really hard - you don't know what they're building to and you constantly think there might be gold around the corner if you just let them keep chatting.

"Once interviewed Nick Griffin while he was carving a hog roast and David Cameron was pounding the shìt out of it from behind" would have been a much better story.
Ian Holloway podcast part two on 20:40 - May 17 with 2296 viewsNorthernr

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 19:16 - May 17 by qprd

yep, its easy to point out ollies inconsistencies

before eze, paul smyth, etc, the first real academy prospect that we were able to get excited about was shodipo.. he absolutely destroyed leeds right back in his debut so much so that garry monk actually subbed him off in the first half

shodipo was one of the brigtest players in our squad that season

in ollies first match, we were up 2-0 against 10 men norwich... ollie bizarrely took off mass and brought on shodipo. we gave up a late goal, had a nervy finish

after the match ollie criticised shodipos defending, stopped playing him and then loaned him out to port vale

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/holloway-lines-qpr-shodipo-kakay-loan-moves

there is literally no difference between mclaren loaning out smyth and ollie loaning out shodipo

True.

He took against Shodipo because Bircham and several others got in his ear about how brilliant he was and he wanted to show who was in charge. Stubborn man.
Ian Holloway podcast part two on 21:55 - May 17 with 2231 viewsCiderwithRsie

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 18:56 - May 17 by LunarJetman

Wow he’s still with us then and will be for the next 17,985 years!

There's something here about extra time when Man United need to score but I'm too p*ssed to work it out.
Ian Holloway podcast part two on 01:40 - May 18 with 2149 viewsozexile

I found it a tough listen. Especially his line that you're only as good as your strikers. George Santos immediately popped into my head and stayed there all day.
[Post edited 18 May 2019 8:31]
Ian Holloway podcast part two on 07:59 - May 18 with 2064 viewsnix

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 17:10 - May 17 by thame_hoops

What always sticks out for me when Gallen is on is how all his stories revolve around booze and p155 ups. Imagine how much better he’d have been if he wasn’t on the drink all the time

Never met any of the guys but they give up their time and do a great job, as much as it’s hard to listen too (sometimes) perspective is needed, I’ve been guilty of being critical of it in the past, I couldn’t do what they do. that said Fraser is excellent.

He gets on my nerves because it's always about him and how fantastic he is doing his scouting all over the world and hardly anything about the club. Also because he refused to come and meet my then eight year old son years ago when he had the chance to name him man of the match because we'd lost and he had a sulk on. I do assume it's hard to get more recent players, who are busy actually playing or don't want to put their foot in it by saying something controversial.

Ollie on the other hand was available to chat to fans at the hotel the night before the play offs in Cardiff (we happened to stay there, not stalkers). Also, he was lovely to my nephew when terminally ill, inviting him to training and sending him a personal video message. So I'll always love him for that.

Plus he has always loved the club, unlike so many self promoting and self aggrandising managers we've had, so don't get the hate personally. But I do understand the irritation and frustration but many of us are not that self aware and can't see our own faults, so it's not that rare. He's not a reflector he's a deflector and sleight of hand guy. With all his faults, I'm glad he's been our manager. He's given us some great memories.
Ian Holloway podcast part two on 08:55 - May 18 with 2014 viewsEsox_Lucius

In summary; Holloway would make a great QPR fan.

The grass is always greener.

Login to get fewer ads

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 09:04 - May 18 with 1973 views2Thomas2Bowles

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 08:55 - May 18 by Esox_Lucius

And a better QPR manager than your hair island lover boy.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 11:52 - May 18 with 1904 viewsdaveB

I do find it amusing that Holloway is still slated for playing Smyth, Eze etc one week then resting them the next game and yet last season the moans were that we overplayed Eze and that was the reason for his drop in form. Maybe Holloway was right to dip them in and out of the team leaving the fans wanting more and putting pressure on manager rather than the young player.

Overall I thought Holloway went into the night wanting to get things off his chest and seemed to do that, he sounded quite emotional towards the end as I don't think he realised how loved and respected he is by some of the fanbase after the forever rs comments by fans.
Ian Holloway podcast part two on 11:54 - May 18 with 1898 viewsdaveB

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 14:49 - May 17 by qprd

This is a bit before my time, but is his Clark Carlisle story legit? That he said the bird in a taxi quote to deflect attention away from Clark Carlisle going awol...

Ollie wasnt exactly managing Manchester United and being interviewed on MOTD- I find it hard to believe that, pre-social media, there was much media interest in a meaningless third division match between Chesterfield and QPR and young relative unknown Carlisle? think about how little media attention and interest there was when caulker was dropped, freeman got taken out at halftime against hull this season, grant hall gets injured...

I've always suspected he just said something stupid that he was embarrassed of and then retrospectively spun into a tale that made him into a bit of a hero

but i might be too cynical

There was a lot of interest in Carlisle at the time and it was more local press in attendance with Holloway trying to stop QPR fans from finding out about what was going on and turning against him
Ian Holloway podcast part two on 12:28 - May 18 with 1859 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 11:52 - May 18 by daveB

I do find it amusing that Holloway is still slated for playing Smyth, Eze etc one week then resting them the next game and yet last season the moans were that we overplayed Eze and that was the reason for his drop in form. Maybe Holloway was right to dip them in and out of the team leaving the fans wanting more and putting pressure on manager rather than the young player.

Overall I thought Holloway went into the night wanting to get things off his chest and seemed to do that, he sounded quite emotional towards the end as I don't think he realised how loved and respected he is by some of the fanbase after the forever rs comments by fans.

Dave I love you but this is quintessential dave b.
There is clearly a medium between dropping a player after a brilliant game and stopping them in their tracks and playing someone every week regardless of form and when it's obvious they're exhausted. As a fan you can absolutely believe Olly was wrong to chop and change so much AND believe McClaren should have rested key players once in a while.

Bare bones.

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 12:30 - May 18 with 1856 viewsDejR_vu

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 11:52 - May 18 by daveB

It’s about a sensible middle ground though isn’t it? You don’t want to flog them, but on the other hand why just play them for a game or two at a time? If you’re mom and get dropped it bursts your bubble. Surely you play them and react accordingly. If they’ve done well you play them again and build confidence. If they’re starting to show signs of fatigue, physical or mental, you explain it to them and give them a rest.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 12:35 - May 18 with 1849 viewsDejR_vu

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 11:54 - May 18 by daveB

There was a lot of interest in Carlisle at the time and it was more local press in attendance with Holloway trying to stop QPR fans from finding out about what was going on and turning against him

Very odd way of dealing with it though. I find it difficult to believe that IH thought about this before the game and came to the conclusion that the best way to protect a player is to come up with some weird analogy.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 18:01 - May 18 with 1698 viewsPaddyhoops

Have to say I lost interest not long after the start of part 2. I've been a huge fan of the podcast over the years but it descended in to the " Ian Holloway show".
I'm a huge fan of what he's done for the club over the years but plenty of the points he was making could have been shortened into a couple of sentences however as we know that's never going to happen.
Would have been nice to hear more from the other panel members who contributed to some cracking shows over the last season or so. As somebody rightly pointed out you know somebody's hogging the mic when poor old Finney couldn't get a word in edge ways!!
Ian Holloway podcast part two on 19:12 - May 18 with 1633 viewsdaveB

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 12:35 - May 18 by DejR_vu

Very odd way of dealing with it though. I find it difficult to believe that IH thought about this before the game and came to the conclusion that the best way to protect a player is to come up with some weird analogy.

Carlisle had gone missing on the friday before the game, it may be an odd way to do it but it's not a made up story it's basically what happened
Ian Holloway podcast part two on 19:15 - May 18 with 1627 viewsdaveB

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 12:28 - May 18 by Antti_Heinola

Dave I love you but this is quintessential dave b.
There is clearly a medium between dropping a player after a brilliant game and stopping them in their tracks and playing someone every week regardless of form and when it's obvious they're exhausted. As a fan you can absolutely believe Olly was wrong to chop and change so much AND believe McClaren should have rested key players once in a while.

of course there is a middle ground I just find it amusing the stick he gets for dipping players in and out of the side and then we we did the opposite that was wrong as well.
Ian Holloway podcast part two on 19:46 - May 18 with 1595 viewsEsox_Lucius

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 09:04 - May 18 by 2Thomas2Bowles

And a better QPR manager than your hair island lover boy.

Yeah, but no. Have a day off off from being a prick eh.

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 20:21 - May 18 with 1533 views2Thomas2Bowles

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 19:46 - May 18 by Esox_Lucius

Ahh bless

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 20:52 - May 18 with 1504 viewspaulparker

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 19:46 - May 18 by Esox_Lucius

Pot kettle black

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 03:31 - May 19 with 1407 viewstimcocking

It must say something that if i'm honest, i turned the first podcast off before the end. It started to make me feel uncomfortable. And now i'm debating whether i actually want to hear the second part. I can feel myself wincing in embarrassment.

You know in hindsight, it might have been more appropriate to choose a...don't know what word to use...safer guest? Clint Hill or somebody. Maybe Jamie Mackie. Who knows. Ollie is too connected to everything and it's clearly all too soon and raw. We all love him, don't want to hear anything too...again, what words to use? Too painful for him,us or anybody else. This whole interview seemed...risky to me to be honest.

Not meaning to be critical at all, couldn't live without you guys, just saying i found it all a little tough and maybe thought it wasn't the best move for all involved.
Ian Holloway podcast part two on 16:34 - May 19 with 1197 viewsNorthernr

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 03:31 - May 19 by timcocking

It must say something that if i'm honest, i turned the first podcast off before the end. It started to make me feel uncomfortable. And now i'm debating whether i actually want to hear the second part. I can feel myself wincing in embarrassment.

You know in hindsight, it might have been more appropriate to choose a...don't know what word to use...safer guest? Clint Hill or somebody. Maybe Jamie Mackie. Who knows. Ollie is too connected to everything and it's clearly all too soon and raw. We all love him, don't want to hear anything too...again, what words to use? Too painful for him,us or anybody else. This whole interview seemed...risky to me to be honest.

Not meaning to be critical at all, couldn't live without you guys, just saying i found it all a little tough and maybe thought it wasn't the best move for all involved.

Well if you didn't like part one, I'd avoid part two!
Ian Holloway podcast part two on 09:38 - May 20 with 995 viewsfrancisbowles

I found it entertaining and can empathise with all the comments on here.

It's Queens Park Rangers, it's Ollie and it's a time of the year when not much is happening Rs wise....so thank you to Ollie for everything he has done for us and for still caring so much and thanks to the podcast guys for letting him have two hours to talk to us.
Ian Holloway podcast part two on 10:06 - May 20 with 956 viewsrobith

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 08:55 - May 18 by Esox_Lucius

You wouldn't want to be sat near him though, you'd get tinnitus
Ian Holloway podcast part two on 11:37 - May 20 with 873 viewsEsox_Lucius

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 10:06 - May 20 by robith

You wouldn't want to be sat near him though, you'd get tinnitus

I don't mind loud, supportive fans around me. It beats the hell out of the mix of phone watchers and moaners I am mostly surrounded by. I would hate to have him back in a manager/ coach position but I would love to have him sat next to me at games.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024