Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
furlong 10:33 - Jul 22 with 37076 viewsLowerloftLad

looks like he could be going to west brom for a fee of 1.5mill didnt see that deal on the cards

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

furlong on 00:01 - Jul 24 with 2577 viewsdaveB

furlong on 23:59 - Jul 23 by EalingHoop81

Surely Lee Wallace too?

knew i'd forget one
furlong on 00:02 - Jul 24 with 2573 viewsconnell10

furlong on 23:59 - Jul 23 by EalingHoop81

Surely Lee Wallace too?

Just gonna post that mate , if Judge signs that’s 4 of his ex players!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

furlong on 00:04 - Jul 24 with 2562 viewsEalingHoop81

furlong on 00:01 - Jul 24 by daveB

knew i'd forget one

Everyone moaned when Warnock signed Hil, Derry and Kenny too.....
furlong on 00:06 - Jul 24 with 2557 viewsconnell10

furlong on 00:04 - Jul 24 by EalingHoop81

We shall mate but I’ve a bad feeling about this recruitment strategy.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

furlong on 00:13 - Jul 24 with 2530 viewsEalingHoop81

furlong on 00:06 - Jul 24 by connell10

We shall mate but I’ve a bad feeling about this recruitment strategy.

We’ve signed a lot of players for very little replacing players on a lot. Some of them won’t work out hopefully many do. But if we sign a couple of strikers that can score at this level I hope we’ll be okay.
furlong on 05:00 - Jul 24 with 2387 viewsjohnhoop

furlong on 00:04 - Jul 24 by EalingHoop81

Yeah, but at that time we also had Taarabt and Faurlin. Tell me if there’s a single player left at the club now who makes you keen to want to see them play. The last of those would have been Freeman. And while I can understand the reasons for having to let him go, it also makes EI hoops and NW10 Hoops feelings easy to understand.
furlong on 05:24 - Jul 24 with 2371 viewsjonno

furlong on 22:13 - Jul 23 by ElHoop

I'm sharing a couple of season tickets for the first time for a few years, and was looking forward to the season starting, but right now I'm just feeling sad. The sale maybe makes sense from a business perspective but most of us get out and follow a football team to escape from business perspectives. It's getting like everything else that we go down the Bush to escape - why would you bother to keep doing that?

These were my feelings three years ago and believe or not were a factor in deciding to move abroad. Football has changed for the average fan, and not for the better. And it gets worse each season in my view.
furlong on 05:45 - Jul 24 with 2354 viewsjohnhoop

furlong on 05:00 - Jul 24 by johnhoop

Yeah, but at that time we also had Taarabt and Faurlin. Tell me if there’s a single player left at the club now who makes you keen to want to see them play. The last of those would have been Freeman. And while I can understand the reasons for having to let him go, it also makes EI hoops and NW10 Hoops feelings easy to understand.

Going to answer my own question here because the answer occurred to me five minutes after I posted it. If things work out for him this season and he plays to his potential I’ll grant that that Eze certainly could qualify as one of those players that you’d pay to see play, producing moments of magic that light up the game. Chair too could have that kind of flair. But it will depend on them getting a regular place in the side by the time Warburton’s signings are finished. I’d also had hopes of Paul Smyth raising the pulse with lightning dashes down the right wing but that’s obviously out of the window now(unless you’re a Wycombe supporter).
Login to get fewer ads

furlong on 07:24 - Jul 24 with 2231 viewsQPROslo

furlong on 05:00 - Jul 24 by johnhoop

One such player we still have is Eze. But then don't hang about taking the time to watch him, because if we get the right offer he'll be gone too.
furlong on 07:42 - Jul 24 with 2197 viewsEalingHoop81

furlong on 07:24 - Jul 24 by QPROslo

One such player we still have is Eze. But then don't hang about taking the time to watch him, because if we get the right offer he'll be gone too.

I love seeing Bright play too. Fearless at going straight at his man. If only he learned to finish...

Any of our youth graduates as they are an unknown quality- so Chair and Eze. I also really like Manning.

Real excitement - prob Eze and Bright are the only ones that currently fit the bill regularly. Equally I remember when our only hope in a game was Sinclair, and then Cook....for about 10 years it was a bit crazy with all the money but in terms of real excitement - Buz, Routledge, Adel, Remy and probably Phillips. Loved Austin and Heider but they were different sort of players
furlong on 08:08 - Jul 24 with 2124 viewsterryb

A question related to thr fee received for Furlong.

Blackburn have a defender a little older & an ROI international, but with a similar record to Darnell. He came through the Blackburn youth system & was a regular in a side fighting against relegation last season.

If we had made an offer for him, how many on this board would have thought £2 million was too much to pay for Darragh Lenihan?

I certainly would have!
furlong on 08:19 - Jul 24 with 2081 viewsEalingHoop81

furlong on 08:08 - Jul 24 by terryb

Blackburn have a defender a little older & an ROI international, but with a similar record to Darnell. He came through the Blackburn youth system & was a regular in a side fighting against relegation last season.

If we had made an offer for him, how many on this board would have thought £2 million was too much to pay for Darragh Lenihan?

I certainly would have!

I canMt remember the last youth graduate to have played for us and be sold for over £1m - Crouchy? I understand being upset because it’s Darnell etc in terms of the business model that Les has discussed, this is it
furlong on 08:34 - Jul 24 with 2036 viewsElHoop

furlong on 23:33 - Jul 23 by EalingHoop81

Come on guys it’s been hard work forevvvwerrr. It’s never been the football that keeps us coming back.

We’ve spent the last 30 years on similarly depressing situations - from Thomson selling our most loved players, to Gallen doing his cruciate, to Langley and Carlisle doing the same in the same game guaranteeing relegation, to the admin and having 8 players, 6 of whom were shit, to extra time losses in Cardiff and Langley joining them for a packet of crisps afterwards, to guns in the boardroom, 22 man brawls in friendlies, to Cook having to be sold to bloody Fulham for a pittance, to Waddock signing players barely up to semi pro level, to watching a new manager every 6 months under Briatore, to spending more money on salaries that Athletico and Dortmund during relegation and promotion seasons........ on the pitch for the vast majority of all that the football has always been pretty crap bar the odd glimmer of hope and a couple of spectacular seasons..... it’ll be all right lads, they have a cunning plan 😀

Yes that's the obvious antidote to feeling bad now - it's been shite for a long time so why feel bad? That's a perfectly OK way to think.

For me it won't get better until we have new owners as this lot are surely the worst owners we've ever had in terms of length of ownership multiplied by incompetence factor? Yes we've sold good players in the past but the likes of Jim Gregory sold them for good money and found good replacements, and he balanced the books, built a new ground, produced our greatest ever crop of youth players and got us to Wembley finals four times. Being as charitable as possible, this lot aren't quite in that league and surely they must know that by now? Do we deserve to suffer from the consequences of their actions for much longer? If so, why?
furlong on 08:44 - Jul 24 with 2012 viewsEalingHoop81

furlong on 08:34 - Jul 24 by ElHoop

Yes that's the obvious antidote to feeling bad now - it's been shite for a long time so why feel bad? That's a perfectly OK way to think.

For me it won't get better until we have new owners as this lot are surely the worst owners we've ever had in terms of length of ownership multiplied by incompetence factor? Yes we've sold good players in the past but the likes of Jim Gregory sold them for good money and found good replacements, and he balanced the books, built a new ground, produced our greatest ever crop of youth players and got us to Wembley finals four times. Being as charitable as possible, this lot aren't quite in that league and surely they must know that by now? Do we deserve to suffer from the consequences of their actions for much longer? If so, why?

The alternative view is that they have dropped £3-400m of their own money to bank roll us as far as they are allowed to through FFP. I’m not saying we should accept this is our lot but in essence this is THE year for FFP. The light is that if we can stay up next year is better. We could, in a few years time have a new training ground and be on the way to a new stadium to make us more sustainable.

If this is bad I’ll meet your QPR and raise you a Blackburn, Charlton, Bolton, Blackpool, Hull......the grass is not always greener

It’s always darkest before the dawn 😀
[Post edited 24 Jul 2019 8:54]
furlong on 08:55 - Jul 24 with 1968 viewscaliforniahoop

furlong on 08:44 - Jul 24 by EalingHoop81

The alternative view is that they have dropped £3-400m of their own money to bank roll us as far as they are allowed to through FFP. I’m not saying we should accept this is our lot but in essence this is THE year for FFP. The light is that if we can stay up next year is better. We could, in a few years time have a new training ground and be on the way to a new stadium to make us more sustainable.

If this is bad I’ll meet your QPR and raise you a Blackburn, Charlton, Bolton, Blackpool, Hull......the grass is not always greener

Ipswich, Wolves, S Utd, Wigan, Coventry, we have done well to stay in this league over the last few years!
furlong on 08:56 - Jul 24 with 1964 viewsElHoop

Yes i take the point about FFP, but owning a football club, being good or bad at owning that club, it's not just measured by how FFP has treated you. To some extent you decide your own destiny. This lot have definitely decided our destiny far more than FFP has. Why should we think that they'll be any better when we are slightly freed from FFP worries for a season or two? There's nothing to indicate that they are getting better at running this club as a football club - forget the training ground for a moment. I mean recruiting managers and players, managing that process, having an infrastructure that works. It hasn't been there for a long time and looking at it this close season it still isn't there. These are the basics of owning a football club.

Furlong has gone to WBA - not a massive club - no bigger than us in terms of ptential I would say. They've made bad managerial appointments too, but now they have Bilic. Bilic doesn't know Furlong from Adam, I would imagine. But they've bought him for £1.5m. A brief look at their website seems to indicate that they are making some Bilic signings as well, but they also seem to be bringing back one of their former trainees. So there's a mixture of input here - managerial choices, scouting choices, knowledge of former youth players. Sure they have more money than us, but the basics - they look sound. They might get it wrong of course, but the impression is one of greater competence. Will be interesting to see what happens to WBA this season.
furlong on 08:57 - Jul 24 with 1960 viewsrsonist

furlong on 08:08 - Jul 24 by terryb

I certainly would have!

Lenihan's pretty good. Solid centre half that can play a bit - linked with Sheff Utd recently. £4m minimum I would imagine, probably more like £6m.

He hasn't got a similar record to Darnell because Blackburn found his best position (he started as a midfielder), played him for a couple of seasons consistently there, and he's grown into maturity. You know what you're getting. Darnell by comparison is still just bits and pieces and disagreements over potential.
furlong on 09:15 - Jul 24 with 1907 viewsrsonist

furlong on 08:56 - Jul 24 by ElHoop

Yes i take the point about FFP, but owning a football club, being good or bad at owning that club, it's not just measured by how FFP has treated you. To some extent you decide your own destiny. This lot have definitely decided our destiny far more than FFP has. Why should we think that they'll be any better when we are slightly freed from FFP worries for a season or two? There's nothing to indicate that they are getting better at running this club as a football club - forget the training ground for a moment. I mean recruiting managers and players, managing that process, having an infrastructure that works. It hasn't been there for a long time and looking at it this close season it still isn't there. These are the basics of owning a football club.

Furlong has gone to WBA - not a massive club - no bigger than us in terms of ptential I would say. They've made bad managerial appointments too, but now they have Bilic. Bilic doesn't know Furlong from Adam, I would imagine. But they've bought him for £1.5m. A brief look at their website seems to indicate that they are making some Bilic signings as well, but they also seem to be bringing back one of their former trainees. So there's a mixture of input here - managerial choices, scouting choices, knowledge of former youth players. Sure they have more money than us, but the basics - they look sound. They might get it wrong of course, but the impression is one of greater competence. Will be interesting to see what happens to WBA this season.

You might want to take another "brief look" at what WBA fans currently think of Lai, Luke Downing, Mark Jenkins and the perceived lack of investment and cost cutting at the club (including to their vaunted youth system).

Here's a recent pointer:

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2019/06/18/gu
furlong on 09:43 - Jul 24 with 1812 viewsDejR_vu

I think it remains to be seen whether they have, indeed, dropped 3-400m. If they walk away, fair enough. If they sell LR and pocket the proceeds, leaving us in a rented stadium that’s very different. You can never really judge any owner properly until they’ve left, so we will see. So far, so bad.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

furlong on 09:46 - Jul 24 with 1804 viewsloftus77

This 100%.

Read all the reports ad insights from Clive, Antti, Simon Dorset and others.

Unless the Board has duped us and the media to pull massive wool over our eyes, this is where we are.
furlong on 10:38 - Jul 24 with 1662 viewsTacticalR

furlong on 08:34 - Jul 24 by ElHoop

@ElHoop 'Yes that's the obvious antidote to feeling bad now - it's been shite for a long time so why feel bad?'

There are also a lot of 'everything that's bad must really be good' posts that are equally unconvincing.

Air hostess clique

furlong on 10:49 - Jul 24 with 1619 viewslave16

furlong on 10:38 - Jul 24 by TacticalR

@ElHoop 'Yes that's the obvious antidote to feeling bad now - it's been shite for a long time so why feel bad?'

There are also a lot of 'everything that's bad must really be good' posts that are equally unconvincing.

ok sorry hes gone but at least we are selling our players for a fairly significant fee rather than losing them for nothing - it may not be the fee we wanted but its showing signs of progress anyway
[Post edited 24 Jul 2019 12:02]

Poll: Are we gonna make the play offs?

furlong on 15:48 - Jul 24 with 1394 viewsterryb

furlong on 08:57 - Jul 24 by rsonist

Lenihan's pretty good. Solid centre half that can play a bit - linked with Sheff Utd recently. £4m minimum I would imagine, probably more like £6m.

He hasn't got a similar record to Darnell because Blackburn found his best position (he started as a midfielder), played him for a couple of seasons consistently there, and he's grown into maturity. You know what you're getting. Darnell by comparison is still just bits and pieces and disagreements over potential.

I will take your word for that rsonist, I hadn't heard of him! I doubt that many Albion (or Blackburn) fans would have known who Furlong was either.

I was just looking for a Championship defender who had come through their club's youth system. That club being one that had been a relegation candidate.

This was my similarity, but I can now add that both are best as a centre half having started in a different position!
furlong on 15:52 - Jul 24 with 1373 viewsRangersw12

So Warburton didn't fancy him then . Woukd like to know who he does expect to be our marauding full back suited to his style as it certainly can't be Rangel
furlong on 15:58 - Jul 24 with 1351 viewstimcocking

furlong on 15:52 - Jul 24 by Rangersw12

So Warburton didn't fancy him then . Woukd like to know who he does expect to be our marauding full back suited to his style as it certainly can't be Rangel

A ten year investment on one of our own bombed out by a banker in 5 minutes. I hope Warburton knows what he's doing. Still, hopefully his fee might pay Chelsea's loan for a few weeks. I'm bloody thrilled.

So far, it seems like a poor man's Mark Hughes has come in. Will it all end in tears?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024