Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
furlong 10:33 - Jul 22 with 37082 viewsLowerloftLad

looks like he could be going to west brom for a fee of 1.5mill didnt see that deal on the cards

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

furlong on 16:37 - Jul 23 with 2224 viewsBostonR

Has everyone forgotten that Furlong played in one of the poorest defenses in the Championship last season? In fact the whole fecking team were shite and literally no-one was turning up at games.
I am encouraged that at least the club are trying to do something different with what is essentially a new team. Give them a chance.
furlong on 16:37 - Jul 23 with 2219 viewsDejR_vu

furlong on 16:31 - Jul 23 by daveB

I do agree someone should have said something nice about him but on the other points the answer will be the same they have been giving for 3 years now..

If they came out again and said they need to sell to comply with FFP they'll get the usual why say that it drives down price of players.

If they say we are a selling club people point at lack of ambition

It's an absolute no win, i'd rather they shut up and got on with the window and talk about the why's after it closes

I know this is a Furlong thread, but the bigger point is that this is part of a transfer window that looks absolutely mental. It’s a trolley dash. It looks like someone has absolutely lost it. It’s like watching your favourite old gran get run over.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

furlong on 16:37 - Jul 23 with 2222 viewsrobith

I made a note in my diary today. It simply said bugger.

I accept and understand, I do. But it still makes me sad
furlong on 16:38 - Jul 23 with 2214 viewsAntti_Heinola

furlong on 16:14 - Jul 23 by ridethewave

Yeah this is just poor from the club.

I'm calling this transfer window out at this stage. What is the club trying to achieve? I don't think it unreasonable to begin waving the 'fire sale' banner around now. Can we at least have an explanation?

As you correctly pointed out, the club made the point several times about how the loan market is not right for us. Now we seem to be hell-bent on operating a first teem full of youth loans with little experience, from other clubs, which flies in the face of what the higher-ups have been saying for months now. We seem to be allowing the manager to dictate many of the signings, again counter to the model the club is supposedly trying to operate. And the whole while there's been absolutely no communication to the fans.

Selling players for profit: fine. But how is replacing them with loans going to work out?

What are any of us supposed to make of this?
[Post edited 23 Jul 2019 16:18]

we've only got two loans (so far), standard for most clubs in the football league. It's hardly a first team full of youth loans is it? Imagine we'll end up with four, though, so, yes, do see the point. But i think loans are inevitable.

Bare bones.

furlong on 16:38 - Jul 23 with 2208 viewsCamberleyR

furlong on 16:29 - Jul 23 by hoopdog

You might be a bit judgemental on Hoes + Les there P P , remember what Ollie said about them being over ruled ,
Warburton has been brought in to turn things around with the playing staff and bearing in mind the reason the reason he left Brentford was he was not wiilling to work under a DOF

"the reason he left Brentford was he was not wiilling to work under a DOF"

Not this old chestnut again...

Not true. He left Brentford because he disagreed with the owner Matthew Benham's strategy of using mathematical modelling and statistical analysis to a greater extent than they had used previously to recruit players that the manager wouldn't have the final veto over.

It would be a bit hypocritical to say you weren't willing to work under a DOF when he had in fact held that role himself at Brentford prior to becoming manager.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2019 16:44]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

furlong on 16:39 - Jul 23 with 2194 viewsjohnhoop

furlong on 16:26 - Jul 23 by sprocket

3 right backs. Furlong, Angel and Kakay. Selling Furlong and loaning in a Chelsea player while not using Kakay makes no sense to me. If Kakay is not good enough then sell him and buy and develop a right back.

You’re right I had forgotten about Kakay. But as for selling him, in a market where we get less than £2million for Furlong and a reputed £4-500k for Matt Smith it’s scarcely possible to imagine what money we’d get for Kakay.
I do agree that it would be far better to be developing a right back of our own though, preferably Paul Furlong as far as I’m concerned.
furlong on 16:43 - Jul 23 with 2154 viewsCamberleyR

furlong on 16:39 - Jul 23 by johnhoop

You’re right I had forgotten about Kakay. But as for selling him, in a market where we get less than £2million for Furlong and a reputed £4-500k for Matt Smith it’s scarcely possible to imagine what money we’d get for Kakay.
I do agree that it would be far better to be developing a right back of our own though, preferably Paul Furlong as far as I’m concerned.

I'm sure Furs would give his all but I think at the age of 50 it might be too much for a 46 game season

furlong on 16:43 - Jul 23 with 2150 viewsBrianMcCarthy

furlong on 16:14 - Jul 23 by QPR_John

Cannot see why the club would want to let a player leave without a thank you as it leaves it self open to questions unless there are problems behind the scenes better left quiet.

To be fair, John, they did thank him:-

"DARNELL Furlong has left QPR to join fellow Championship side West Bromwich Albion for an undisclosed fee.

The right-back departs after a decade with the R’s, where he excelled in the Academy before making his first team debut in February 2015 in the Premier League.

Furlong — son of ex-Rangers front-man and Under-18s manager Paul Furlong — featured 72 times in all competitions for the Hoops either side of loan spells with Northampton Town, Cambridge United and Swindon Town.

The 23-year-old joins West Brom after Albion narrowly missed out on promotion last season following defeat to Aston Villa in the play-offs.

Everyone at the club would like to thank Darnell for his contribution and outstanding professionalism throughout his time with us and wish him every success in the future."

Mind you they used a phrase that always annoys me - " (we) would like to thank" instead of just simply "we thank".

Reminds me of the line in Spike Milligan's war diaries where the squaddies are listening to some poor MC on stage compereing a show and giving him unmerciful grief....

"Er, I'd, er, like to thank so and so"
"Then why the fugg don't ya? Ya have a mic!"

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

furlong on 16:44 - Jul 23 with 2139 viewsjohnhoop

furlong on 16:38 - Jul 23 by Antti_Heinola

we've only got two loans (so far), standard for most clubs in the football league. It's hardly a first team full of youth loans is it? Imagine we'll end up with four, though, so, yes, do see the point. But i think loans are inevitable.

Could be wrong here but surely it’s three already. Luke Amos, the replacement Matt Smith and the Chelsea right back?
furlong on 16:45 - Jul 23 with 2122 viewsjohnhoop

furlong on 16:43 - Jul 23 by CamberleyR

I'm sure Furs would give his all but I think at the age of 50 it might be too much for a 46 game season

Whoops!!
furlong on 16:45 - Jul 23 with 2119 viewsPhildo

I don't think selling Furlong for 2m is the reason for the alarm well expressed or the lack of a striker as most seem to understand that will take a bit of sorting as other deals fall into place elsewhere.

Furlong has enough about him to have a decent career but unlikely to be at the top level.

It is much more the lack of balance that we are seeing- strategy even - in the signings we are making that is making me nervous. I have no idea what is going on.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2019 16:45]
furlong on 16:47 - Jul 23 with 2092 viewsCamberleyR

furlong on 16:44 - Jul 23 by johnhoop

Could be wrong here but surely it’s three already. Luke Amos, the replacement Matt Smith and the Chelsea right back?

Sterling hasn't signed yet, still just a rumour.

furlong on 16:49 - Jul 23 with 2077 viewsdaveB

furlong on 16:14 - Jul 23 by ridethewave

Yeah this is just poor from the club.

I'm calling this transfer window out at this stage. What is the club trying to achieve? I don't think it unreasonable to begin waving the 'fire sale' banner around now. Can we at least have an explanation?

As you correctly pointed out, the club made the point several times about how the loan market is not right for us. Now we seem to be hell-bent on operating a first teem full of youth loans with little experience, from other clubs, which flies in the face of what the higher-ups have been saying for months now. We seem to be allowing the manager to dictate many of the signings, again counter to the model the club is supposedly trying to operate. And the whole while there's been absolutely no communication to the fans.

Selling players for profit: fine. But how is replacing them with loans going to work out?

What are any of us supposed to make of this?
[Post edited 23 Jul 2019 16:18]

Since Ferdinand came to the club they have been quite open in what they want to do. Create a pathway for youngsters to get into the team and then be sold onto bigger clubs whilst we then replace them with cheaper signings or more homegrown players.

Freeman and Smithies were the first one of the cheaper signings who did well for us then moved on and now Furlong is the first one of our own to break into the team, develop and get a move.

now of course I'd agree with many who would have liked to see him stay and get better but the club have to sell this summer and they have made no secret of that. Holloway spoke about this being the window where whole squad would change when he was manager long before he got sacked.

I can't say I am delighted with the work done with the in comings this window and I'm still fuming about Smyth going but I've honestly never seen any of the new boys play before so can't say if we have done well or badly really. As a very hesitant defence of the club we do only have 2 loan players at the club ( I Know that will change), the bulk of the side at the moment are players we've bought or brought through
furlong on 16:53 - Jul 23 with 2042 viewshoopdog

furlong on 16:38 - Jul 23 by CamberleyR

"the reason he left Brentford was he was not wiilling to work under a DOF"

Not this old chestnut again...

Not true. He left Brentford because he disagreed with the owner Matthew Benham's strategy of using mathematical modelling and statistical analysis to a greater extent than they had used previously to recruit players that the manager wouldn't have the final veto over.

It would be a bit hypocritical to say you weren't willing to work under a DOF when he had in fact held that role himself at Brentford prior to becoming manager.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2019 16:44]

Ok tell me did Ollie say Les had been over ruled , have these signings got Warburton written over them and does the squad have to make room to bring his players in ?
furlong on 16:55 - Jul 23 with 2008 viewsdaveB

furlong on 16:37 - Jul 23 by DejR_vu

I know this is a Furlong thread, but the bigger point is that this is part of a transfer window that looks absolutely mental. It’s a trolley dash. It looks like someone has absolutely lost it. It’s like watching your favourite old gran get run over.

I don't really want to be defending the club all the time and can't say I'm thrilled with how things look but in the summer we did lose Lynch, Bidwell, Baptisite, Rangel (I know he has come back), Cameron, Lynch, Cousins, Pawel, Smith, Wells, Hemed and Freeman and even with those we were crap and needed new players so was always going to be a lot of players through the door this window..

I can't defend the number of keepers we've signed though, that is farcical.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2019 16:56]
furlong on 17:00 - Jul 23 with 1934 viewsAntti_Heinola

furlong on 16:49 - Jul 23 by daveB

Since Ferdinand came to the club they have been quite open in what they want to do. Create a pathway for youngsters to get into the team and then be sold onto bigger clubs whilst we then replace them with cheaper signings or more homegrown players.

Freeman and Smithies were the first one of the cheaper signings who did well for us then moved on and now Furlong is the first one of our own to break into the team, develop and get a move.

now of course I'd agree with many who would have liked to see him stay and get better but the club have to sell this summer and they have made no secret of that. Holloway spoke about this being the window where whole squad would change when he was manager long before he got sacked.

I can't say I am delighted with the work done with the in comings this window and I'm still fuming about Smyth going but I've honestly never seen any of the new boys play before so can't say if we have done well or badly really. As a very hesitant defence of the club we do only have 2 loan players at the club ( I Know that will change), the bulk of the side at the moment are players we've bought or brought through

I think there's a statement Les could've made that would cover all bases.

'Darnell Furlong has been a great servant to QPR .He was here as a kid when he saw his Dad score that famous goal against Oldham in the 2003 play-off semi final, and went on to captain various youth teams at the club as he became one of the first players in many years to successfully graduate through our academy to the first team. I was keen to show that that pathway existed, and Darnell grabbed his opportunity with both hands.

Darnell has always been a consummate professional and a leader at this club and I'm sure it was his success that has since inspired several players to follow his trail and force their way into the first team picture. We are sure there will be many more to come and we will always be grateful for Darnell's contribution in this regard.

We understand many fans will not be happy at this sale, and we certainly did not want him to leave. But as we have said before, if we receive good offers for players we do have to take them into serious consideration. On this occasion, West Brom matched our valuation and both club and player felt it was in everyone's best interests to move on. It was not a decision taken lightly by anyone. Myself, the staff and the players look forward to welcoming Darnell back when West Brom visit later this season and he will always be welcome at Loftus Road.

We wish him all the best at West Brom.'

Bare bones.

furlong on 17:02 - Jul 23 with 1922 viewsrunningman75

Am annoyed we cannot hold out for more money. West Brom bid over £2 million for a Brentford midfielder which they turned down. Everyone knows QPR are skint but looking at ins and outs and no striker looks like we will be doing an Ipswich and heading to league 1.
furlong on 17:02 - Jul 23 with 1913 viewsNorthernr

furlong on 17:00 - Jul 23 by Antti_Heinola

I think there's a statement Les could've made that would cover all bases.

'Darnell Furlong has been a great servant to QPR .He was here as a kid when he saw his Dad score that famous goal against Oldham in the 2003 play-off semi final, and went on to captain various youth teams at the club as he became one of the first players in many years to successfully graduate through our academy to the first team. I was keen to show that that pathway existed, and Darnell grabbed his opportunity with both hands.

Darnell has always been a consummate professional and a leader at this club and I'm sure it was his success that has since inspired several players to follow his trail and force their way into the first team picture. We are sure there will be many more to come and we will always be grateful for Darnell's contribution in this regard.

We understand many fans will not be happy at this sale, and we certainly did not want him to leave. But as we have said before, if we receive good offers for players we do have to take them into serious consideration. On this occasion, West Brom matched our valuation and both club and player felt it was in everyone's best interests to move on. It was not a decision taken lightly by anyone. Myself, the staff and the players look forward to welcoming Darnell back when West Brom visit later this season and he will always be welcome at Loftus Road.

We wish him all the best at West Brom.'

Yus.
furlong on 17:04 - Jul 23 with 1904 viewsAntti_Heinola

furlong on 16:53 - Jul 23 by hoopdog

Ok tell me did Ollie say Les had been over ruled , have these signings got Warburton written over them and does the squad have to make room to bring his players in ?

les has gone very quiet. I do wonder if he's preparing to leave himself.

Bare bones.

furlong on 17:06 - Jul 23 with 1891 viewsQPR_John

furlong on 16:43 - Jul 23 by BrianMcCarthy

To be fair, John, they did thank him:-

"DARNELL Furlong has left QPR to join fellow Championship side West Bromwich Albion for an undisclosed fee.

The right-back departs after a decade with the R’s, where he excelled in the Academy before making his first team debut in February 2015 in the Premier League.

Furlong — son of ex-Rangers front-man and Under-18s manager Paul Furlong — featured 72 times in all competitions for the Hoops either side of loan spells with Northampton Town, Cambridge United and Swindon Town.

The 23-year-old joins West Brom after Albion narrowly missed out on promotion last season following defeat to Aston Villa in the play-offs.

Everyone at the club would like to thank Darnell for his contribution and outstanding professionalism throughout his time with us and wish him every success in the future."

Mind you they used a phrase that always annoys me - " (we) would like to thank" instead of just simply "we thank".

Reminds me of the line in Spike Milligan's war diaries where the squaddies are listening to some poor MC on stage compereing a show and giving him unmerciful grief....

"Er, I'd, er, like to thank so and so"
"Then why the fugg don't ya? Ya have a mic!"

Thank s for that. My post was made without looking at the official site and I assumed from previous posts there was no acknowledgement.

As an aside I think most fans accept we have to bring on young players and then sell. So I assume the anger is not at selling Furlong but the size of the fee
furlong on 17:10 - Jul 23 with 1851 viewsMedwayR

furlong on 17:04 - Jul 23 by Antti_Heinola

les has gone very quiet. I do wonder if he's preparing to leave himself.

My gut feeling is that he’ll leave soon.

Poll: Who’s better?

furlong on 17:14 - Jul 23 with 1819 viewsDejR_vu

furlong on 16:55 - Jul 23 by daveB

I don't really want to be defending the club all the time and can't say I'm thrilled with how things look but in the summer we did lose Lynch, Bidwell, Baptisite, Rangel (I know he has come back), Cameron, Lynch, Cousins, Pawel, Smith, Wells, Hemed and Freeman and even with those we were crap and needed new players so was always going to be a lot of players through the door this window..

I can't defend the number of keepers we've signed though, that is farcical.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2019 16:56]

Yeah, I get that Dave, but we had a pretty big squad. Someone said, I think, that MW likes to run with a small group, so the departures looked like an opportunity to streamline. If all just looks a bit scatter-gun. Worrying. But who knows, maybe this one does actually know what he’s doing and we’ll be okay.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

furlong on 17:23 - Jul 23 with 1753 viewsCamberleyR

furlong on 16:53 - Jul 23 by hoopdog

What's Holloway and Ferdinand got to do with it? Great straw man argument.

furlong on 17:39 - Jul 23 with 1639 viewsSimonJames

Hope we get a few more goalies in...

100% of people who drink water will die.

furlong on 17:55 - Jul 23 with 1550 viewsdaveB

furlong on 17:14 - Jul 23 by DejR_vu

Yeah, I get that Dave, but we had a pretty big squad. Someone said, I think, that MW likes to run with a small group, so the departures looked like an opportunity to streamline. If all just looks a bit scatter-gun. Worrying. But who knows, maybe this one does actually know what he’s doing and we’ll be okay.

not sure the squad is that big at the moment, just seems it with all the signings

GK - tons of them

RB - Rangel & Kakay
LB - Wallace & Manning
CB - Masterson, Hall, BFG & Barbet

Mid - Scowen, Ball, Amos, Smith, Eze, Chair, Goss, Luongo

Wingers - Bright and Shodipo

Forwards - Oteh

With that lot I still think we need a wide player and at least 2 forwards
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024