Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dubrovnik 09:35 - Feb 12 with 2011 viewsRs_Holy

Thinking about a long weekender in Dubrovnik with Mrs Holy! (Photos look amazing).

Anyone been? If you have would you recommend? Is it too touristy now or still relatively unspoiled?

Thanks in advance,
RH
Dubrovnik on 09:40 - Feb 12 with 1994 viewsBlackCrowe

Also after similar info.

Trying to plan a two-weeker for end of June that starts with Lake Bled in Slovenia, coast in Croatia (avoiding the bling/party areas) and ending in dubrovnik. Any recs on areas to stay in particularly for the first two greatly received.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Dubrovnik on 09:42 - Feb 12 with 1989 viewsRamseyR

Lovely place. We stayed right in the old town in a private room and used a mixture of bakeries and restaurants for grub. Busy during the day but it all quietens down late afternoon and was very quiet in the evening when all the day trippers/cruise ships are gone.
Walking the city walls is a must.
This was 12 years ago mind, and I hear it's a lot busier now, so be interesting to hear from someone who has visited more recently if it still retains it's charm.
Dubrovnik on 09:42 - Feb 12 with 1989 viewsMrSheen

It's a magical place, but it's very popular. Don't leave it until the summer, and if you are thinking about eating and you see a cruise ship pulling up (and you will), find a restaurant without delay!
Dubrovnik on 10:12 - Feb 12 with 1956 viewsterryb

My favourite town/city in the world!

The place oozes history, architecture (repairs done very sensitively), good food & superb ice creams! Take a walk of the city walls, they are well worth the effort & the view from the top of the cable car is panoramic.

Go sir, you won't regret it!
Dubrovnik on 10:15 - Feb 12 with 1941 viewsIsleworthranger

Its a great place to visit and a trip on the cable car is a must to have a beer in the bar overlooking the city but if going to Croatia then try and get to Split as well as its simply magical
Dubrovnik on 10:21 - Feb 12 with 1928 viewsRs_Holy

Dubrovnik on 10:12 - Feb 12 by terryb

My favourite town/city in the world!

The place oozes history, architecture (repairs done very sensitively), good food & superb ice creams! Take a walk of the city walls, they are well worth the effort & the view from the top of the cable car is panoramic.

Go sir, you won't regret it!

thanks chaps!

Bit worried about boatloads of tourists but as long as it hasn't gone down the same road as Sorrento (Premier League football in every bar and chips with everything)???
Like I said the pictures look amazing.
Dubrovnik on 10:27 - Feb 12 with 1919 viewsaston_hoop

(Edit, meant to reply to BlackCrowe)

Did a similar trip about 10 years ago and it was brilliant. Stayed in Radovljica near Lake Bled rather than in Bled itself, charming but very small old town, ended up at a lock in at the local bar which was a result. The lake istelf is stunning though, Ljubljana as a city was well worth a stop. In terms of Croatia, I enjoyed Pula as a slightly quirky place with old Roman remains, The Plitvice national park was nice for a day trip and I styed on an island called Korcula which seemed definitely not a party island (though this was 10 years ago), very beautiful though.

In terms of Dubrovnik, its a must-see place. I can't imagine it possible to go there an be disappointed. Steeped in history and full of things to explore.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2020 10:28]

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Dubrovnik on 10:28 - Feb 12 with 1915 viewsMrSheen

Dubrovnik on 09:40 - Feb 12 by BlackCrowe

Also after similar info.

Trying to plan a two-weeker for end of June that starts with Lake Bled in Slovenia, coast in Croatia (avoiding the bling/party areas) and ending in dubrovnik. Any recs on areas to stay in particularly for the first two greatly received.

When the kids were small, we spent a week at Lake Bohinj, which is about 10 miles from Bled. To be honest it was very quiet (perfect for us at the time) and reminded me of Canada. There wasn’t much to do apart from pedalo around the lake hire bikes or go for walks in the woods along the cascades. However, there was an amazing First World War cemetery at a place called Ukanc, which was the end of the railway and the start of the trail up to the front line against the Italians up in the mountains. There are about a dozen modern nations represented and it’s beautifully kept.

We went to Bled a couple of times and it’s completely different, like Switzerland or the Italian lakes, a lovely spot.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2020 11:19]
Login to get fewer ads

Dubrovnik on 13:06 - Feb 12 with 1775 viewsRangersDave

terrific place.
Old city is wonderful (look for the back streets, and the bar outside the city walls on the 'sea side'.
Cable car is cool too giving great views.
Some of the bars quayside by the more modern docks are good too.

If you get tired of all that, remember you have another country literally a 5 minute taxi away.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Dubrovnik on 13:16 - Feb 12 with 1753 viewsheadhoops

Its a lovely place to visit, As others have said look out for the cruise ships especially around lunch time. Definitely stay inside the walls of the old town - several bars built on the rocks. Also go across to the small island - takes 10-15 minutes by boat. Does get very hot in high season. Wall walk and cable cars a must.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

Dubrovnik on 23:40 - Feb 12 with 1609 viewswombat

Dubrovnik on 13:16 - Feb 12 by headhoops

Its a lovely place to visit, As others have said look out for the cruise ships especially around lunch time. Definitely stay inside the walls of the old town - several bars built on the rocks. Also go across to the small island - takes 10-15 minutes by boat. Does get very hot in high season. Wall walk and cable cars a must.

Went last summer , the cable carwasn’t working due to a dispute with the council and the owners of the cable car , so if you wanted to go to the bar it was a very intresting trip up in a Tuk tuk , chaos coming down at sunset . Great city not expensive to eat some great resutanrts and bars , went to pula for a few days loved it weird but fun locals were excellent and love the English for the help we gave them during the war

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Dubrovnik on 00:24 - Feb 13 with 1599 viewsCiderwithRsie

Dubrovnik on 09:40 - Feb 12 by BlackCrowe

Also after similar info.

If you get a chance to visit the old town in Split give it a go. I marginally preferred it to Dubrovnik, though both are good.

A big chunk of it is a Roman Palace, and it is slightly mind-blowing to see people living in (or running shops in) a 1700 year old building and hanging their washing out of the windows.

The island of Korcula was lovely too.

It will be seriously hot in late June, especially Croatia. I recommend getting up early, around dawn while it's still cool, go out and do some stuff, then spend the afternoon in a cafe with a cold beer, ice cream or whatever having a bit of a doze, then go again about 6 p.m. When I was there the shops seemed to operate on that basis but that was a few years back (straight after the war) so they might have changed.
Dubrovnik on 00:35 - Feb 13 with 1596 viewsBlackCrowe

Many thanks all. And keep it coming...super helpful.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Dubrovnik on 06:53 - Feb 13 with 1544 viewsHunterhoop

Makarska up the coast is underrated. We found a wonderful apartment over looking the beach with great sea views and a roof terrace reserved for the handful of apartments that looked out over the whole bay.

It’s somewhere between Dubrovnik and Split, but we did a weekend in the former, got a boat up the coast, stopping along the way, and then a shuttle to Split to fly home at the end. A boat is a great way to see the coast. The scenery and landscape on the Dalmatian coast is spectacular.
Dubrovnik on 07:11 - Feb 13 with 1540 viewsKonk

I haven't been to Dubrovnik for ten years, but as others have said, during peak season it can get very crowded during the day with cruise ship visitors shuffling around at 2mph in big packs. It's a really beautiful city, but much nicer either before the cruises have arrived or by late afternoon/early evening, when they've gone. If you're there for 2/3 days, I'd be tempted to spend one of those days on a trip out of the city. Would also recommend Split - got to watch Fulham play there and it was a very nice city.

Bled - went there on a day trip from Ljubljana last year - it's a really nice spot. We were there out of season, so it was pretty quiet; can't imagine that's the case during the summer. We were happy with our choice as although Bled was beautiful, there were obviously far more options for eating/drinking in Ljubljana. We just got a private hire car to drop us and collect us as there were five of us, but you can get there on public transport, albeit it takes twice as long.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Dubrovnik on 07:23 - Feb 13 with 1535 viewsHantsR

I went there in 1972 when it was in Yugoslavia. I flew with my girlfriend, the current Mrs Hants via Endsleigh student travel for about £15. We had hardly a dinar.

I guess this isn't much help to you?
Dubrovnik on 08:14 - Feb 13 with 1508 viewshorshamHoop

Dubrovnik on 00:35 - Feb 13 by BlackCrowe

Many thanks all. And keep it coming...super helpful.

If you are going to Bled, I would recommend visiting the sister lake "Bohinj" which is further down the road.

It is quieter and less touristic than Bled and lots of stunning views (take the cable car to the highest point), hikes, mountain biking, kayaking and so on, had an excellent few days there,

Also worth spending a day in the Capital Ljubljana which was the "Green capital" recently and the centre is pedestrian
Dubrovnik on 09:38 - Feb 13 with 1477 viewsflynnbo

Dubrovnik and Split are lovely places. Try the Krka waterfalls as they’re something to behold. Also, Trogir is worth a visit; the Fulham owner’s yacht was there when we visited but, that aside, it was a cultural delight.
Dubrovnik on 13:46 - Feb 13 with 1422 viewsheadhoops

Dubrovnik on 09:38 - Feb 13 by flynnbo

Dubrovnik and Split are lovely places. Try the Krka waterfalls as they’re something to behold. Also, Trogir is worth a visit; the Fulham owner’s yacht was there when we visited but, that aside, it was a cultural delight.

Also stayed in Trogir, one drawback being that planes land very regularly during the day.
Check out the water falls at Plitvice. And if you are anywhere near Rovinj eat at the Monty.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

Dubrovnik on 14:38 - Feb 13 with 1396 viewsMatch82

Dubrovnik on 08:14 - Feb 13 by horshamHoop

If you are going to Bled, I would recommend visiting the sister lake "Bohinj" which is further down the road.

It is quieter and less touristic than Bled and lots of stunning views (take the cable car to the highest point), hikes, mountain biking, kayaking and so on, had an excellent few days there,

Also worth spending a day in the Capital Ljubljana which was the "Green capital" recently and the centre is pedestrian

Note that Ljubljana is the capital of Slovenia. But it is a lovely place though take it on personal recommendation DO NOT drink the water.

I loved Dubrovnik when I went 4 years ago. I was on a cruise ship though so avoid people like me
Dubrovnik on 14:50 - Feb 13 with 1382 viewsDiscodroids

Stayed in Dubrovnik in 2015.

Karlovačko
Pan
Ožujsko

Magic.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Dubrovnik on 14:58 - Feb 13 with 1370 viewsqpr1976

Dubrovnik on 10:15 - Feb 12 by Isleworthranger

Its a great place to visit and a trip on the cable car is a must to have a beer in the bar overlooking the city but if going to Croatia then try and get to Split as well as its simply magical

Agreed.
Walk the city walls & cable car a must. Avoid the cave bars, overpriced and not that great.

When the cruise ships arrive, you'd be better off taking a 30 minute ferry to Cavtat, lovely beach bay/harbour area with a nice beach bar. Drink, Swim, with Dubrovnik in the distance.
Dubrovnik on 22:57 - Feb 13 with 1267 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Dubrovnik on 07:23 - Feb 13 by HantsR

I went there in 1972 when it was in Yugoslavia. I flew with my girlfriend, the current Mrs Hants via Endsleigh student travel for about £15. We had hardly a dinar.

I guess this isn't much help to you?

I can see why she's the current Mrs Hants. When I was a student I was treating my girlfriend to a weekend in Margate!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024