Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What's your claim to fame? 09:05 - Mar 18 with 20854 viewsW13R

Right, a bit of lighted fun in these testing times.

Mine is, performed twice at The Royal Albert Hall.
First time around I sang a solo to a full house.
What's your claim to fame? on 14:32 - Mar 18 with 2105 viewsThe_Beast1976

Regularly on the television every winter when around the globe with the Barmy Army
What's your claim to fame? on 14:35 - Mar 18 with 2098 viewsMick_S

What's your claim to fame? on 14:32 - Mar 18 by The_Beast1976

Regularly on the television every winter when around the globe with the Barmy Army

Then you probably have a Barmy Army garment embroidered by my good self.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

What's your claim to fame? on 14:42 - Mar 18 with 2087 viewsMrSheen

What's your claim to fame? on 14:23 - Mar 18 by flynnbo

Off the top of my head:
Spending a Saturday night with the Indian cricket team in 1979 in London.
Taught Chris Perry, Jason Cundy, Stephen Finnan and Ben Chilwell.
Won the QPR LInk It Up competition in the programme in 1976/77 season.

Please tell me your Saturday ended with them having an English then running away.
What's your claim to fame? on 14:57 - Mar 18 with 2056 viewskensalriser

I'm in the video for Boy George's Sold. Have to be quick with the pause to catch me though. Filmed at the then derelict gasworks on Greenwich peninsular where the Millennium Dome is now, extras got paid £25 for the day.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2020 15:42]

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

What's your claim to fame? on 15:05 - Mar 18 with 2035 viewshantssi

Guinness Book of Records 1975, crawling on hands and knees, 7-8 miles(ish)!
Did it for charity, Vietnamese Boat People Charity.
What's your claim to fame? on 15:09 - Mar 18 with 2021 viewsBrianMcCarthy

What's your claim to fame? on 15:05 - Mar 18 by hantssi

Guinness Book of Records 1975, crawling on hands and knees, 7-8 miles(ish)!
Did it for charity, Vietnamese Boat People Charity.

Ya.... you're definitely in the lead!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

What's your claim to fame? on 15:12 - Mar 18 with 2016 viewsRangersDave

i have a few, but i'll leave this one here for now.....

At Bray Studios as a 12 year old lad during the summer holiday (i used to hang out at Pinewood and Bray during all the school holidays, and everyone knew me and i had pretty much unlimited access to everywhere.

Anyway, i'd just finished a couple of hours on set (if you know Bray, it really only had 1 proper set) for a lunch break.
I'm outside taking in the sun, and out come Albert Finney and Martin Sheen. 'Hello Dave, what are you doing for lunch?', not a lot i replied, just hanging around waiting for everyone to come back.
"want a drink?' says Albert, no thanks, i'll be fine....."come on" says Martin, "ive got ice cold coke in my trailer and Albert and I are going to have a sandwich, and watch the open golf on the TV"
so i spend a very nice hour or so in Martin Sheen's trailer talking with both of them, and very nice guys they were too.

Oh and chatting with Suzanne Daniel, on her doorstep one morning in Gerrards Cross, she was in a silk Komono that barely covered anything and was open almost down to her navel! For a young chap, it was quite an uplifting experience i can tell you ;-)

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

What's your claim to fame? on 15:13 - Mar 18 with 2008 viewsMick_S

What's your claim to fame? on 15:12 - Mar 18 by RangersDave

At Bray Studios as a 12 year old lad during the summer holiday (i used to hang out at Pinewood and Bray during all the school holidays, and everyone knew me and i had pretty much unlimited access to everywhere.

Anyway, i'd just finished a couple of hours on set (if you know Bray, it really only had 1 proper set) for a lunch break.
I'm outside taking in the sun, and out come Albert Finney and Martin Sheen. 'Hello Dave, what are you doing for lunch?', not a lot i replied, just hanging around waiting for everyone to come back.
"want a drink?' says Albert, no thanks, i'll be fine....."come on" says Martin, "ive got ice cold coke in my trailer and Albert and I are going to have a sandwich, and watch the open golf on the TV"
so i spend a very nice hour or so in Martin Sheen's trailer talking with both of them, and very nice guys they were too.

Oh and chatting with Suzanne Daniel, on her doorstep one morning in Gerrards Cross, she was in a silk Komono that barely covered anything and was open almost down to her navel! For a young chap, it was quite an uplifting experience i can tell you ;-)

Lead re-taken.

Login to get fewer ads

What's your claim to fame? on 15:18 - Mar 18 with 1983 viewshantssi

Was also on Record Breakers, met Roy Castle and the McWhirter brothers just before one (Ross?) got killed by the IRA.
They all signed my copy of the book and I’ve still got the letter from the BBC thanking us for attending.
What's your claim to fame? on 15:20 - Mar 18 with 1972 viewsThe_Beast1976

What's your claim to fame? on 14:35 - Mar 18 by Mick_S

Then you probably have a Barmy Army garment embroidered by my good self.

I have about 30 different BA tops from travelling over the years. I was told the fella who did them (i.e. you) was a QPR fan. So you know Leafy, the General, Chris Millard etc?

P.S. I met Mel at the cricket in NZ this winter and he said you were a mate of his
[Post edited 18 Mar 2020 15:22]
What's your claim to fame? on 15:25 - Mar 18 with 1948 viewsMick_S

What's your claim to fame? on 15:20 - Mar 18 by The_Beast1976

I have about 30 different BA tops from travelling over the years. I was told the fella who did them (i.e. you) was a QPR fan. So you know Leafy, the General, Chris Millard etc?

P.S. I met Mel at the cricket in NZ this winter and he said you were a mate of his
[Post edited 18 Mar 2020 15:22]

I do know Leafy, but only through work. Haven't done much for them lately other than some caps for the NZ tour which is a coincidence. Who'd have thought Mel would like cricket?

What's your claim to fame? on 15:25 - Mar 18 with 1948 viewsngbqpr

I was a foot soldier in the music biz for a number of years - most of the people I worked with would only impress those on the Frankie thread, but in terms of proper famous people:

- did some promo work for Simon Cowell when his big act was Sinitta
- had a water cooler moment with Kylie and introduced her to my labrador puppy (not a euphemism) when she was recording in the studios downstairs - Kylie that is, not the lab
- met Les at the Big Breakfast, "Stay at Rangers," I said pathetically, as at the time he was being linked with summer moves all over. We got one more season out of him - you're welcome
- spent a very pleasant hour in the bar at the Brits with John Thomson (Fast Show / Cold Feet). Nice.
- went to a bash that Paul McCartney threw in honour of Ray Charles. My boss was involved - I was grateful for the invite, but hacked off he didn't introduce me to Macca
- the same boss invited me to a dinner & quiz night at his golf club, where I was sat next to commentator Alan Parry. We'd just been relegated from the Prem - "QPR? You'll be back soon enough", opined Alan. Took 15 years mate...
- had several meetings with Tony Wilson & Feargal Sharkey helping organise dance music panels for TW's annual In The City music conference

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

What's your claim to fame? on 15:28 - Mar 18 with 1929 viewsstowmarketrange

What's your claim to fame? on 15:12 - Mar 18 by RangersDave

Lucky it wasn’t jimmy saville or Gary glitter.
What's your claim to fame? on 15:29 - Mar 18 with 1924 viewsThe_Beast1976

What's your claim to fame? on 15:25 - Mar 18 by Mick_S

I do know Leafy, but only through work. Haven't done much for them lately other than some caps for the NZ tour which is a coincidence. Who'd have thought Mel would like cricket?

Indeed. I hadn't met him before until we got chatting in a pub in Mount Manganui and then Hamilton . Half expected to see him in SA, but he was a no show
What's your claim to fame? on 15:39 - Mar 18 with 1887 viewskarl

Circa 1985/86 Runners up in World wheelbarrow races, Castletown, Isle of Man. Glory days
What's your claim to fame? on 15:43 - Mar 18 with 1874 viewsMrSheen

My dad put a bathroom in for Jimmy Cliff in about 1975 and he took me along one day to see his house, a big four story terrace near Stamford Bridge. It had fabulous white shag-pile carpet, and lots of Rastas sitting cross-legged on the floor smoking. JC stuck it to Babylon by not paying my Dad.
What's your claim to fame? on 15:48 - Mar 18 with 1855 viewsNoelmc

Appeared on page 3 of the Sun.

In the early 90's I played in a wheelchair basketball match at Brentford's Fountain Leisure Centre to raise the profile of one of Princess Di's charities. She was in attendance and threw the ball up for the tip-off between me and an opponent. The strapline the Sun used with the resulting photo was 'A pair of royal bouncers', appropriately positioned on the same page as the standard page 3 photo.
What's your claim to fame? on 15:50 - Mar 18 with 1846 viewsNorthernr

What's your claim to fame? on 14:23 - Mar 18 by flynnbo

Off the top of my head:
Spending a Saturday night with the Indian cricket team in 1979 in London.
Taught Chris Perry, Jason Cundy, Stephen Finnan and Ben Chilwell.
Won the QPR LInk It Up competition in the programme in 1976/77 season.

Ben Chilwell always seems a decent sort. You going to tell me he was a dick?
What's your claim to fame? on 15:53 - Mar 18 with 1833 viewsflynnbo

What's your claim to fame? on 15:50 - Mar 18 by Northernr

Ben Chilwell always seems a decent sort. You going to tell me he was a dick?

No, he was a nice and polite student as was his younger sister.
What's your claim to fame? on 16:04 - Mar 18 with 1790 viewsW13R

Another one to add.

I went out with Nicky Clarke's sister years ago (allegedly he's a famous hairdresser)

I had the impression he didn't like me much as I was a working class lad.
Double standards really as he was originally from the Heygate Estate in Elephant & Castle!?
What's your claim to fame? on 16:17 - Mar 18 with 1745 viewsHantsR

I dined with the Queen when she visited our little island of Kiribati on Britannia; I did have a little chat when she mingled. Opposite me on my table were Brian Hanrahan, Prince Philip's Equerry and HM's bodyguard... Hagen?
What's your claim to fame? on 16:28 - Mar 18 with 1724 viewsB_Wad

I hung out after a concert on Willy Nelson's bus.

Rode a bicycle across North America from the Pacific to the Atlantic and from Canada to Mexico.
What's your claim to fame? on 16:41 - Mar 18 with 1702 viewskingo

Glen Matlock was my best friend when I lived in Kensal Green as a kid. Also knew Paul Young when he was in the Q tips.

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

What's your claim to fame? on 16:56 - Mar 18 with 1672 viewsitsbiga

I met Simon Stainrod in White City pool back in the day. I was 10 or 11.
"Oi you're Simon Stainrod"

He was nice to us and that's when I really got into QPR a lot more.

Poll: Serious concern we'll double drop?

What's your claim to fame? on 17:07 - Mar 18 with 1661 viewspaulparker

What's your claim to fame? on 16:04 - Mar 18 by W13R

Another one to add.

I went out with Nicky Clarke's sister years ago (allegedly he's a famous hairdresser)

I had the impression he didn't like me much as I was a working class lad.
Double standards really as he was originally from the Heygate Estate in Elephant & Castle!?

He was only jealous off your dashing good looks mate

And TBF you probably had a better Barnet

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024