Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Concentration 15:59 - Apr 14 with 3581 viewsBklynRanger

Anyone else working from home and almost completely unable to concentrate?

I usually try to pay attention to things at least 50% of the time - that's the personal target I set for myself anyway - can't say I always hit it :)

But fcuk me! - not sure I'm hitting 25% at the minute!
Exercise helps but my aging knees can't be exercising every minute of the bleedin' day.
Concentration on 16:03 - Apr 14 with 2874 viewsLblock

Was chatting to my next door neighbour but one about this on Sunday.

I reckon when I'm doing the old WFH usually I function at about 75% but make up for that by working late into the evening.

Now... as it's every bleedin day... I reckon I'm running on about a 30% output rate.
Maybe that's because all my projects are shut so urgency isn't there.

All I can say is thank Christ for dry weather and a bit of sun...... I've never loved having a couple of Labradors so much!!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Concentration on 16:06 - Apr 14 with 2867 viewsted_hendrix

I'm concentrating on my retirement Mr Higginbottom, however I have noticed that whilst I'm 'locked in' I've fallen foul of snacking syndrome and I'm pigging out in a manner that almost constitutes addiction, I'm getting bigger by the day.

Billy Bunter city!

Toffee crisp.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Concentration on 16:16 - Apr 14 with 2858 viewsBklynRanger

30% is a good target, LB - I'll try to 'up' my intensity

And keep going, Ted - can all be explained I'm sure by considering the life of the humble brown bear with his hibernatory practices and such.
Concentration on 16:17 - Apr 14 with 2850 viewsswisscottage

Been WFH since beginning of last week in Feb. Gone from WFH one or two days a month to this being my 8th week wfh.

If you're not careful the days just merge into one and the week's gone before you know it.

Ability to concentrate comes and goes, the key thing is setting up an appropriate working environment, and taking appropriate breaks during the day, and removing outside distractions ( like loftforwords:) as best you can. Stick to a schedule, including mealtimes, and attempt to get a proper nights sleep.

However this is extended period with reduced human contact ( I live alone) is not natural, and my sleep has become affected to the point where I now take night nurse one or two nights a week just to ensure I get at least one or two solid night's sleep a week. The days I do that my concentration levels are considerably better.
Concentration on 16:21 - Apr 14 with 2840 viewsswisscottage

oh and exercise.

I go for a one hour walk every morning round the lakes here in Rickmansworth at 5:30, taking in a shop at Tesco's for 6am opening on the circuit every 3 or 4 days. There's practically nobody out at that time, and there's no queue to get into Tesco's either.

The walk really helps.
Concentration on 16:27 - Apr 14 with 2826 viewsJuzzie

Yeah, WFH and finding it difficult. We have milestone completion tasks for just about everything we do (apart from going to the loo but I'm sure they'll introduce that soon!) so they'll know who's pulling their weight and who isn't whether we WFH or at the office.
Concentration on 16:43 - Apr 14 with 2811 viewsTacticalR

I have been thinking about this a lot.

When you work from home say, one day a week, you are likely to get an increase in productivity simply by having no interruptions. However, for a lot of people this could soon to be counteracted by the loss of social interaction. In Capital, Marx uses the term 'animal spirits':

'Apart from the new power that arises from the fusion of many forces into one single force, mere social contact begets in most industries an emulation and a stimulation of the animal spirits that heighten the efficiency of each individual workman. Hence it is that a dozen persons working together will, in their collective working-day of 144 hours, produce far more than twelve isolated men each working 12 hours, or than one man who works twelve days in succession. The reason of this is that man is, if not as Aristotle contends, a political, at all events a social animal.'

Karl Marx, Capital, Volume 1, Chapter 13: Co-operation
https://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1867-c1/ch13.htm

Obviously a lot depends on the kind of work you do, how much you have to interact directly with other people etc.

Air hostess clique

Concentration on 17:10 - Apr 14 with 2778 viewsMickS_

Concentration on 16:03 - Apr 14 by Lblock

Was chatting to my next door neighbour but one about this on Sunday.

I reckon when I'm doing the old WFH usually I function at about 75% but make up for that by working late into the evening.

Now... as it's every bleedin day... I reckon I'm running on about a 30% output rate.
Maybe that's because all my projects are shut so urgency isn't there.

All I can say is thank Christ for dry weather and a bit of sun...... I've never loved having a couple of Labradors so much!!

I don’t work from home as it’s not possible doing what I do, but what you say about the weather and particularly the dogs - what a boredom buster. I’m lucky that we have a very lively breed, so we have to get out regularly for my dog’s well being. Our first dog was a Lab - fantastic breed. We have a Hungarian Vizsla ( still a pup for a few months yet ) and boy are they a challenge. He’s coming into his own now - absolutely worth it and a massive help breaking the days up.
Login to get fewer ads

Concentration on 17:12 - Apr 14 with 2772 viewsTacticalR

Concentration on 17:10 - Apr 14 by MickS_

I don’t work from home as it’s not possible doing what I do, but what you say about the weather and particularly the dogs - what a boredom buster. I’m lucky that we have a very lively breed, so we have to get out regularly for my dog’s well being. Our first dog was a Lab - fantastic breed. We have a Hungarian Vizsla ( still a pup for a few months yet ) and boy are they a challenge. He’s coming into his own now - absolutely worth it and a massive help breaking the days up.

The dogs have to take people for a walk.

Air hostess clique

Concentration on 17:18 - Apr 14 with 2757 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I had a wobbly few days a few weeks back where the motivation went.

But I've been following the advice we got from a performance coach for our players. it's excellent and simple. Here's the bones:

1) Go to be at the usual time
2) Get up at the usual time
3) Make a plan each night for the following day
4) Exercise once outdoors every day
5) Exercise once indoors per day
6) Stay in touch with friends and family
7) Learn a new skill, language or instrument

I'm doing all of the above and - because I'm no longer an athlete and only a coach - I enjoy my weekends with good food and drinks.

Hope it helps. It's helping me.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Concentration on 17:20 - Apr 14 with 2749 viewsMickS_

Concentration on 17:12 - Apr 14 by TacticalR

The dogs have to take people for a walk.

Thankfully, we’ve overcome that one. Our neighbours have just got their kids a hatch dweller of some sort and I had to get the dog down from a six foot fence yesterday. It’s all good exercise.

And concentration.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2020 17:21]
Concentration on 17:25 - Apr 14 with 2733 viewsblacky200

I've not had that problem. I'm finding that after the first week where I had the TV going and did next to nothing I now leave the TV off and get cracking. Not having the social interation at work means I'm getting loads done (too much I'm running low).
Concentration on 17:37 - Apr 14 with 2716 viewsstowmarketrange

I’ve been furloughed for the last 2 weeks and I’ve got at least 1 more week to go.I had a stash of books I’d hoped to make a start on,but not 1 page has been turned so far.
I’m sick of doing nothing all day but can’t be bothered to get out and do anything.
I do now have the cleanest gutters in the village though.
Concentration on 17:45 - Apr 14 with 2702 viewsSimonJames

I've been WFH since 2009 - because my work is all done on the Internet.
But you've got to be disciplined and have a routine.
I get up at 5:45 each morning and row for an hour.
Have a shower, get dressed, eat breakfast and then start work.
I do 45 mins of bodyweight exercises before lunch - which is a good break from 4 hours of computer screens.
I then work again until I collect my youngest son from school (except during lockdown). If I'm not taking him to clubs, I usually finish about 6:30pm.
Because I'm sat in front of a computer for many hours, I'd probably turn into an amorphous blob if I didn't do the exercise.
I find the biggest reason concentration wanders, is due to not drinking enough water throughout the day.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Concentration on 18:07 - Apr 14 with 2673 viewsLblock

Concentration on 17:45 - Apr 14 by SimonJames

I've been WFH since 2009 - because my work is all done on the Internet.
But you've got to be disciplined and have a routine.
I get up at 5:45 each morning and row for an hour.
Have a shower, get dressed, eat breakfast and then start work.
I do 45 mins of bodyweight exercises before lunch - which is a good break from 4 hours of computer screens.
I then work again until I collect my youngest son from school (except during lockdown). If I'm not taking him to clubs, I usually finish about 6:30pm.
Because I'm sat in front of a computer for many hours, I'd probably turn into an amorphous blob if I didn't do the exercise.
I find the biggest reason concentration wanders, is due to not drinking enough water throughout the day.

For your morning row.....

Do you and your missus set a timer to ensure it's exactly one hour or have you simply perfected the duration it takes to be shouted at about the toilet seat being left up, washing on the floor, why you are still alive etc, etc, etc?

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Concentration on 20:03 - Apr 14 with 2581 viewsBklynRanger

A lot of sage advice here; if I could get it together to read the various sentences and paragraphs in which the many thoughts and ideas are contained...

Ha, I jest of course. Will begin crafting an appropriate sociopolitical/lifestyle strategy immediately. Or if not immediately soonish, when I get round to it. After I do the other thing, whatever that was.
Concentration on 20:24 - Apr 14 with 2540 viewsMickS_

Concentration on 20:03 - Apr 14 by BklynRanger

A lot of sage advice here; if I could get it together to read the various sentences and paragraphs in which the many thoughts and ideas are contained...

Ha, I jest of course. Will begin crafting an appropriate sociopolitical/lifestyle strategy immediately. Or if not immediately soonish, when I get round to it. After I do the other thing, whatever that was.

Straightening wonky picture and photo frames is very satisfying.
Concentration on 21:53 - Apr 14 with 2448 viewsMatch82

Concentration on 17:18 - Apr 14 by BrianMcCarthy

I had a wobbly few days a few weeks back where the motivation went.

But I've been following the advice we got from a performance coach for our players. it's excellent and simple. Here's the bones:

1) Go to be at the usual time
2) Get up at the usual time
3) Make a plan each night for the following day
4) Exercise once outdoors every day
5) Exercise once indoors per day
6) Stay in touch with friends and family
7) Learn a new skill, language or instrument

I'm doing all of the above and - because I'm no longer an athlete and only a coach - I enjoy my weekends with good food and drinks.

Hope it helps. It's helping me.

All excellent advice. May I suggest an alternative for people with multiple young kids below school age?

1. Remember to breathe
2. Remember they are not trying to make your life a nightmare, it's just a natural ability
3. Alcohol is available in many forms
Concentration on 22:03 - Apr 14 with 2433 viewsqueensparker

Concentration on 21:53 - Apr 14 by Match82

All excellent advice. May I suggest an alternative for people with multiple young kids below school age?

1. Remember to breathe
2. Remember they are not trying to make your life a nightmare, it's just a natural ability

Yeah, having a 3 and 5 year old at home 24/7 while me and the missus are both trying to hold down a full-time WFH schedule is proving a big challenge! Knackered at the end of every day.

Only way we've found that works to be clear with yourself and your office that you're either working or you're not, strict division of labour, you can't be looking after the kids and doing work calls and emails at the same time, it's impossible.

Workwise I'm finding getting any bigger projects or proper thinking done really tough, I can do the mindless admin but anything else I don't have the headspace at all.

Have to say I'm enjoying the kids time way more than the work time. Never knew I was a frustrated housewife/teacher.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2020 22:12]
Concentration on 22:14 - Apr 14 with 2418 viewsdaveB

Concentration on 22:03 - Apr 14 by queensparker

Yeah, having a 3 and 5 year old at home 24/7 while me and the missus are both trying to hold down a full-time WFH schedule is proving a big challenge! Knackered at the end of every day.

Only way we've found that works to be clear with yourself and your office that you're either working or you're not, strict division of labour, you can't be looking after the kids and doing work calls and emails at the same time, it's impossible.

Workwise I'm finding getting any bigger projects or proper thinking done really tough, I can do the mindless admin but anything else I don't have the headspace at all.

Have to say I'm enjoying the kids time way more than the work time. Never knew I was a frustrated housewife/teacher.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2020 22:12]

i'm in the same boat, loving spending time with the kids, my youngest i would usually see for an hour in the morning and she was asleep time i got home then time at the weekend, now being able to play with her in the morning, work during the day then do bath and bed time plus time during the day has been great. Workwise it's a bloody nightmare though trying to do it all, hold meetings etc and I end up working till 8/9 every night to get it all done. Hard to moan too much though when you see how many people might be out of work due to all this
Concentration on 00:48 - Apr 15 with 2354 viewsMatch82

Concentration on 22:14 - Apr 14 by daveB

i'm in the same boat, loving spending time with the kids, my youngest i would usually see for an hour in the morning and she was asleep time i got home then time at the weekend, now being able to play with her in the morning, work during the day then do bath and bed time plus time during the day has been great. Workwise it's a bloody nightmare though trying to do it all, hold meetings etc and I end up working till 8/9 every night to get it all done. Hard to moan too much though when you see how many people might be out of work due to all this

Yeah trying to keep reminding myself that we are so lucky in the grand scheme of things. Hard work though.

I tell you what, anyone who looks after children for a living is going to come out of this thing with everyone looking at them with a whole new level of respect.
Concentration on 01:13 - Apr 15 with 2335 viewsBoston

1. Remember to breathe

If your missus is reaching breaking point, I am available for one on one recreational physical therapy.
[Post edited 15 Apr 2020 1:14]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Concentration on 05:09 - Apr 15 with 2295 viewsMatch82

Concentration on 01:13 - Apr 15 by Boston

If your missus is reaching breaking point, I am available for one on one recreational physical therapy.
[Post edited 15 Apr 2020 1:14]

Appreciate the offer. I'd imagine that would be difficult without breaching social distancing protocols though.
Concentration on 07:51 - Apr 15 with 2238 viewsBrianMcCarthy

1. Remember to breathe

4. Don't give the kids all the alcohol. You'll need some yourself.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Concentration on 08:21 - Apr 15 with 2208 viewswombat

Concentration on 07:51 - Apr 15 by BrianMcCarthy

4. Don't give the kids all the alcohol. You'll need some yourself.

Been working from home since November 19, found it easy at the start got more work done didn’t have to make tea for 8 people all the time , since everyone is working from home and there is little to no work to do I’m bored , did have two agin labs until recently one decided to have liver failure last March and finally gave up the fight this feb when it all become to much for him and we had to let him go , our second lab (both 12 years old dogs trust ) started fitting Xmas day morning , turns out a brain tumour was causing it every drug under the sun scans you name it all to no avail and we lost her a month ago . Two of the crapiest days of my life in a monthly dea§l with . We did sort of plan ahead though and got two 8 weeks old lab pups Ollie and Stan . So they have helped with this haven’t slept past 6am since we got them and they can finally go on there first walks on Friday so will get out of the house a bit more thank fully , would post pics but still not worked out how to do it yet , stay safe everyone

Poll: which is your favouite foot

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024