Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ollie Watkins 18:46 - Aug 5 with 11547 viewsjohncharles

£18 million ??? What does that make Eze.

Strong and stable my arse.

Ollie Watkins on 18:52 - Aug 5 with 6091 viewskensalriser

One billion dollars.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Ollie Watkins on 18:53 - Aug 5 with 6079 viewsWatford_Ranger

That’s his release clause. Pre-lockdown he’d have commanded that fee comfortably. He probably still will but less certain. Great as Eze is, Watkins will probably appeal to more teams and strikers go for even more than attacking mids. Brentford also don’t have to sell nearly as much as we do.
Ollie Watkins on 18:56 - Aug 5 with 6061 viewsRANGERS4EVER

Even as a QPR fan id say Watkins is almost as good, if not equal to Eze, and £18m is definitely his worth.

Poll: Who would you most like to see at QPR?

Ollie Watkins on 19:01 - Aug 5 with 6032 viewsEmpireStateRanger

Varying opinions on Watkins. Some say 18m is robbery, others say he’s not Prem level. Some Villa fans aren’t sure if he’s worth it after hearing that they’re linked with him.

From my perspective, 18m doesn’t seem like a huge amount for a PL team to spend on a striker who
knows how to find the back of the net with frequency.
Ollie Watkins on 19:02 - Aug 5 with 6026 viewsrsonist

Ollie Watkins on 18:53 - Aug 5 by Watford_Ranger

That’s his release clause. Pre-lockdown he’d have commanded that fee comfortably. He probably still will but less certain. Great as Eze is, Watkins will probably appeal to more teams and strikers go for even more than attacking mids. Brentford also don’t have to sell nearly as much as we do.

The appeal is the main bit. Good finisher, good presser, positionally versatile, plus young and English. Could be a credible option on most Prem clubs shortlists to slot right in.

Eze does what he does wonderfully... but what that is is of niche appeal in comparison (despite not being anywhere near the luxury showpony some probably see him as). He's a piece of a puzzle that fewer clubs are prepared to make a substantial commitment to.
Ollie Watkins on 19:08 - Aug 5 with 5980 viewsswitchingcode

There is no release clause fact,He would have gone long ago if there was.
Ollie Watkins on 19:11 - Aug 5 with 5943 viewsWatford_Ranger

Ollie Watkins on 19:08 - Aug 5 by switchingcode

Unless it only came into effect at 10:30 last night.

FWIW if I were a Villa, Leeds, Palace etc I wouldn’t think twice about paying it. Spurs even.
Ollie Watkins on 19:23 - Aug 5 with 5898 viewsLowerloftLad

how long is left on his contract i cant see brentford putting in clauses as they have been getting decent prices for players as it is

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

Login to get fewer ads

Ollie Watkins on 20:50 - Aug 5 with 5614 viewsswitchingcode

Ollie Watkins on 19:23 - Aug 5 by LowerloftLad

how long is left on his contract i cant see brentford putting in clauses as they have been getting decent prices for players as it is

June 2023 with 1 year option
Ollie Watkins on 21:04 - Aug 5 with 5550 viewsNewBee

Ollie Watkins on 19:08 - Aug 5 by switchingcode

I don't think that's right.

I've read that the release clause was £10m last season - Palace sniffed around, but didn't bite - and was raised to the new figure this season.

These things are a matter of negotation between club and player/agent. The higher the release fee the more the club has to pay him in wages and bonuses etc. And even as late as January, clubs may have baulked at paying that much for a player who was a £10m winger 6 months previously i.e. he might just have been a 'flash in the pan'.

Also the player himself is unusually selective over his career eg Bees had wanted him the season before we signed him but he stayed at Exeter because he felt another season in their 1st team would benefit him more than a season in BFC's 'B' team. So he may not have fancied any offers he may have got this season.

Either way, getting £18m for a player who cost us £1.8m is great business in anyones book, and I'm hopeful that we'll replace him just like we've replaced Maupay, Hogan, Vibe, Gray and the rest.
Ollie Watkins on 21:06 - Aug 5 with 5543 viewshorshamHoop

Sorry mate but there is only one Hogan and he wore the hoops!
Ollie Watkins on 21:10 - Aug 5 with 5524 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Ollie Watkins on 18:56 - Aug 5 by RANGERS4EVER

Even as a QPR fan id say Watkins is almost as good, if not equal to Eze, and £18m is definitely his worth.

Was going to say similar. Very different players but in terms of value not a lot of difference.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Ollie Watkins on 21:24 - Aug 5 with 5459 viewsenfieldargh

Ollie Watkins on 21:06 - Aug 5 by horshamHoop

Sorry mate but there is only one Hogan and he wore the hoops!

talking of hogan

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/ex-qpr-man-hogan-ephraim-aims-digs-at-brentfor

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Ollie Watkins on 21:30 - Aug 5 with 5442 viewsNewBee

Ollie Watkins on 18:56 - Aug 5 by RANGERS4EVER

I don't think you're comparing like-with-like.

OW is a straightforward goalscoring No.9 - 26 this season - and at 24, has over 200 league games under his belt.

Whereas Eze is a wide player who scored 14 goals - v.respectable for a 22 y.o in his position, who's only played 125-odd.

Which is in no way to disparage EE - he looks to have the makings of a terrific player. But he's closer in style/position to Benrhama.
Ollie Watkins on 21:33 - Aug 5 with 5426 viewseghamranger

Considering there was a load of BMW stuff in the papers and a load of blah about how good their strikers actually are .., I must have seen a different game... all 3 were very poor .
Ollie Watkins on 21:37 - Aug 5 with 5407 views2Thomas2Bowles

Ollie Watkins on 21:24 - Aug 5 by enfieldargh

talking of hogan

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/ex-qpr-man-hogan-ephraim-aims-digs-at-brentfor

He is not wrong but I'm sure most Brentford fans know it themselves.

Losing to Barnsley (as we did) was the killer, there really should have gone out all blazing, win 6-5 anything for a win but it's like they did not believe in themselves...like last night,

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Ollie Watkins on 21:41 - Aug 5 with 5389 viewsLazyFan

They want £40m for Said so, £18m is about correct. You see what your missing is this, they are Moneyball Brentford and we are Charity Park Rangers.

So, the Bee's sting everyone else for maximum monies, whereas we swap Trevor Sinclair for two Wet Spam cast-offs or a top Prem striker in his Prime for a mere £4m, when months before we could have had £12m. Or letting two top youngsters go for way below market rate because we let them slip into the last year of their contracts.

Brentford is not a fancy football team, they are a football factory.

zzzzzzzzzz

Ollie Watkins on 22:05 - Aug 5 with 5302 viewsswitchingcode

Ollie Watkins on 21:33 - Aug 5 by eghamranger

Considering there was a load of BMW stuff in the papers and a load of blah about how good their strikers actually are .., I must have seen a different game... all 3 were very poor .

How many poor games has Eze ( excellent player)had this season yes they were all poor last night but have scored over 50 goals this season which is a good return.You judge and value players over the season not one game.Dare I mention they scored 6 against you in the 2 league games.Not our clubs fault what’s written in newspapers.Will be interesting to see what offers these players attract as I’m sure the economy downturn will have an impact.
Don’t get the rubbishing of good players even Clive was slagging off our front 3 last night Yes hate or take the pee out of the club on their failure but choose creditable targets.
Ollie Watkins on 22:12 - Aug 5 with 5261 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Ollie Watkins on 21:41 - Aug 5 by LazyFan

They want £40m for Said so, £18m is about correct. You see what your missing is this, they are Moneyball Brentford and we are Charity Park Rangers.

So, the Bee's sting everyone else for maximum monies, whereas we swap Trevor Sinclair for two Wet Spam cast-offs or a top Prem striker in his Prime for a mere £4m, when months before we could have had £12m. Or letting two top youngsters go for way below market rate because we let them slip into the last year of their contracts.

Brentford is not a fancy football team, they are a football factory.

So you'd pay £40m for Eze?

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Ollie Watkins on 22:17 - Aug 5 with 5232 viewseghamranger

Ollie Watkins on 22:05 - Aug 5 by switchingcode

How many poor games has Eze ( excellent player)had this season yes they were all poor last night but have scored over 50 goals this season which is a good return.You judge and value players over the season not one game.Dare I mention they scored 6 against you in the 2 league games.Not our clubs fault what’s written in newspapers.Will be interesting to see what offers these players attract as I’m sure the economy downturn will have an impact.
Don’t get the rubbishing of good players even Clive was slagging off our front 3 last night Yes hate or take the pee out of the club on their failure but choose creditable targets.

Like I said.... last night they were poor.. I don’t follow them or dislike them.

Maybe you saw a different game, but they didn’t perform for a big game and big money players need to do that.

Eze hasn’t had a chance to show that either
Ollie Watkins on 22:37 - Aug 5 with 5159 viewsswitchingcode

Ollie Watkins on 22:17 - Aug 5 by eghamranger

Like I said.... last night they were poor.. I don’t follow them or dislike them.

Maybe you saw a different game, but they didn’t perform for a big game and big money players need to do that.

Eze hasn’t had a chance to show that either

No I agreed they were poor last night.
Ollie Watkins on 09:31 - Aug 6 with 4856 viewsrsonist

Ollie Watkins on 21:04 - Aug 5 by NewBee

I don't think that's right.

I've read that the release clause was £10m last season - Palace sniffed around, but didn't bite - and was raised to the new figure this season.

These things are a matter of negotation between club and player/agent. The higher the release fee the more the club has to pay him in wages and bonuses etc. And even as late as January, clubs may have baulked at paying that much for a player who was a £10m winger 6 months previously i.e. he might just have been a 'flash in the pan'.

Also the player himself is unusually selective over his career eg Bees had wanted him the season before we signed him but he stayed at Exeter because he felt another season in their 1st team would benefit him more than a season in BFC's 'B' team. So he may not have fancied any offers he may have got this season.

Either way, getting £18m for a player who cost us £1.8m is great business in anyones book, and I'm hopeful that we'll replace him just like we've replaced Maupay, Hogan, Vibe, Gray and the rest.

I thought so too tbf (clause very widely reported, strange). Percy will be getting his info from Villa so they've obviously already been in touch straight away.

Exeter have a nice sell-on and they really need it so that's nice.
Ollie Watkins on 09:37 - Aug 6 with 4835 viewsNorthernr

Ollie Watkins on 21:24 - Aug 5 by enfieldargh

talking of hogan

He really went for them the other night. What was interesting was other footballers, Charlie Austin, Jack Collison, and others agreeing with him. I think Brentford's, shall we say, 'confident approach' to the end of this season, and the never ending stream of just how fcking wonderfully they're run as a club rubbed quite a few people up the wrong way.

We all know they're superbly run but it is going a little bit OTT at times. Three times in as many games I've been told by that bloody Sky commentator about their "sleep coach". And he trotted out both in the semi and the final this line that "for once, last summer, and again in January, Brentford kept hold of their best players because they'd crunched the numbers and worked out they had a 50/50 chance of promotion if they did."

I'm sorry, but, what?
Ollie Watkins on 09:57 - Aug 6 with 4765 viewsbakerloo8

Ollie Watkins on 09:37 - Aug 6 by Northernr

He really went for them the other night. What was interesting was other footballers, Charlie Austin, Jack Collison, and others agreeing with him. I think Brentford's, shall we say, 'confident approach' to the end of this season, and the never ending stream of just how fcking wonderfully they're run as a club rubbed quite a few people up the wrong way.

We all know they're superbly run but it is going a little bit OTT at times. Three times in as many games I've been told by that bloody Sky commentator about their "sleep coach". And he trotted out both in the semi and the final this line that "for once, last summer, and again in January, Brentford kept hold of their best players because they'd crunched the numbers and worked out they had a 50/50 chance of promotion if they did."

I'm sorry, but, what?

Obvs they didn't have stats on bottle or they would've realised there was a 0% chance of promotion 🤣
Ollie Watkins on 10:06 - Aug 6 with 4726 viewsMick_S

Ollie Watkins on 09:37 - Aug 6 by Northernr

I'm sorry, but, what?

[Post edited 6 Aug 2020 10:26]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024