Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Carabao Cup - white flag raised already 13:40 - Aug 21 with 3486 viewsMyke

Reading Warburton's comments about the upcoming season on the official site, it's not hard to see that the league cup is waaay down his list of priorities. On three different occasions he mentions how difficult it will be to manage the squad through the fixture congestion 'if' we get past the first round. Looks like the gap since '67 is going to be extended by another year at least!.
Carabao Cup - white flag raised already on 13:42 - Aug 21 with 2568 viewsNorthernr

You know what, on this one occasion, and you know how vociferous I've been with criticism of our pis rank attitude to cup comps, I think I could forgive it.
Carabao Cup - white flag raised already on 13:48 - Aug 21 with 2542 viewsMyke

Carabao Cup - white flag raised already on 13:42 - Aug 21 by Northernr

You know what, on this one occasion, and you know how vociferous I've been with criticism of our pis rank attitude to cup comps, I think I could forgive it.

It's clearly going to be very challenging season with several 'clusters' of games packed closely together and of course everyone will lose their sh1t if we get off to a poor start. But even with previous managers who clearly couldn't give a fiddler's about the competition, I don't recall any of them pretty much conceding before a ball was kicked. It just sends out a poor message to the squad imo. Is it compulsory to enter it? Because if not, not sure why we bother.
Carabao Cup - white flag raised already on 14:36 - Aug 21 with 2336 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Given the ever decreasing interest in the thing, would football really give a toss if we scrapped it?

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Carabao Cup - white flag raised already on 14:47 - Aug 21 with 2298 viewsQPR_John

Carabao Cup - white flag raised already on 13:48 - Aug 21 by Myke

It's clearly going to be very challenging season with several 'clusters' of games packed closely together and of course everyone will lose their sh1t if we get off to a poor start. But even with previous managers who clearly couldn't give a fiddler's about the competition, I don't recall any of them pretty much conceding before a ball was kicked. It just sends out a poor message to the squad imo. Is it compulsory to enter it? Because if not, not sure why we bother.

I know a player can get injured in a league game but that is the manner of things. Getting injured in a cup game is a gamble that need not be taken.
Carabao Cup - white flag raised already on 15:02 - Aug 21 with 2245 viewsrsonist

Shouldn't even be happening this year.
Carabao Cup - white flag raised already on 15:20 - Aug 21 with 2182 viewsAntti_Heinola

Carabao Cup - white flag raised already on 15:02 - Aug 21 by rsonist

Shouldn't even be happening this year.

That's what I was going to say.
Not like clubs need it, especially with no crowds.

Bare bones.

Carabao Cup - white flag raised already on 15:28 - Aug 21 with 2147 viewsMistication92

Carabao Cup - white flag raised already on 14:36 - Aug 21 by PlanetHonneywood

Given the ever decreasing interest in the thing, would football really give a toss if we scrapped it?

Always thought this TBH. IIRC it was created in the 50s/60s to showcase floodlit football, which was new then. Well its been showcased and we've all got used to it, now get rid of the needless competition that even the big teams don't really give a toss about.

It would also bump up the prestige of the FA Cup if it was the only cup as well!
Carabao Cup - white flag raised already on 15:37 - Aug 21 with 2120 viewsfrancisbowles

Carabao Cup - white flag raised already on 15:20 - Aug 21 by Antti_Heinola

That's what I was going to say.
Not like clubs need it, especially with no crowds.

We won't be saying that if we progress to the last eight.

Actually our league cup record has been a bit better of late, last we went out in the first game was 2014/15.

We have won some FA Cup games in the last two seasons as well.

Progress
Login to get fewer ads

Carabao Cup - white flag raised already on 15:44 - Aug 21 with 2090 viewsfrancisbowles

Carabao Cup - white flag raised already on 15:28 - Aug 21 by Mistication92

Always thought this TBH. IIRC it was created in the 50s/60s to showcase floodlit football, which was new then. Well its been showcased and we've all got used to it, now get rid of the needless competition that even the big teams don't really give a toss about.

It would also bump up the prestige of the FA Cup if it was the only cup as well!

If the big teams are not interested, they still seem to keep winning it.

It would make me very happy, if we won it again.
Carabao Cup - white flag raised already on 16:14 - Aug 21 with 2019 viewsMyke

Carabao Cup - white flag raised already on 15:44 - Aug 21 by francisbowles

If the big teams are not interested, they still seem to keep winning it.

It would make me very happy, if we won it again.

That's the reason why most teams throw in the towel early on, because they know that eventually through sheer strength of resources, the big teams will go all the way in spite of themselves.Whatever about the likes of us, I could never figure out why mid-table prem teams, would field weakened teams from the third round onwards. Maybe if it was just open to the EFL, now that would make it interesting
Carabao Cup - white flag raised already on 16:22 - Aug 21 with 1988 viewsDavieQPR

The big teams are not really bothered unless by some chance they get through to the latter rounds. The only reason we have got it this season is for the EFL coffers.
Carabao Cup - white flag raised already on 16:23 - Aug 21 with 1986 viewsClive_Anderson

Could be our best chance of actually winning it if every other team are playing their reserves.
Carabao Cup - white flag raised already on 16:29 - Aug 21 with 1958 viewsLythamR

At least this year people wont be travelling, i would use it to give the fringe players a go and if they progress then fine let them play until they get knocked out.
Carabao Cup - white flag raised already on 16:51 - Aug 21 with 1885 viewsterryb

Carabao Cup - white flag raised already on 15:28 - Aug 21 by Mistication92

It came into being for the 1960/61 season, but was not compulsory to enter until the late '60's.

I'm fairly certain that floodlights were required in the FL by that time, but that would have been a newish requirement. I hadn't heard that it was created to showcase floodlit games, but I can definitely see the logic with that.

A fact that many people don't know/remember is that West Bromich Albion entered the competition in 1965/66 & won it at the first attempt. Losing in the final to Queens Park Rangers was the first time that they were knocked out, although they did lose the first leg of the '66 final.
Carabao Cup - white flag raised already on 16:58 - Aug 21 with 1862 viewsLazyFan

Ban the Prem teams, keep the Euro slot open and there will soon be enough interest.

Also, it will really be funny as the Champions of Europe are in the prem now and won't be able to get the benefit of it :)

zzzzzzzzzz

Carabao Cup - white flag raised already on 16:58 - Aug 21 with 1861 viewsterryb

For many a season I've read many posters saying that the first round should be played a week before the start of the league games instead of a friendly.

It will be interesting to see if clubs play strong teams (as is normal for the last friendly), or play an "experimental" team.
Carabao Cup - white flag raised already on 17:03 - Aug 21 with 1844 viewsClive_Anderson

Do people really want the only competition we've ever won to just disappear?

Since the Champions League came in all clubs not in it have just given up ever trying to win anything.
Carabao Cup - white flag raised already on 18:34 - Aug 21 with 1697 viewsMistication92

Yes. The history won't just disappear, the honours board will still say QPR 1966/67.

If it was that popular then the games would be attended in the same numbers as league games. But you regularly see low crowds up until the semis. The public obviously aren't that interested.
Carabao Cup - white flag raised already on 21:05 - Aug 21 with 1501 viewstoboboly

Carabao Cup - white flag raised already on 13:42 - Aug 21 by Northernr

Disagree.

Go for it every year. We have a load of young lads, a load of guys wanting more games. Win it and go down in legend. If we could attend i would be sorting a few days holiday already, as would you.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Carabao Cup - white flag raised already on 21:50 - Aug 21 with 1440 viewsCiderwithRsie

Carabao Cup - white flag raised already on 17:03 - Aug 21 by Clive_Anderson

Do people really want the only competition we've ever won to just disappear?

Since the Champions League came in all clubs not in it have just given up ever trying to win anything.

If it was still one of three big prizes in Football all, with a proper place in Europe up for grabs, (and a proper name) of course I'd still want it kept.

But it's been downgraded by the attitude of the Prem clubs so much (mostly due to changes in European qualification) it's become a joke.

TBH I think the status of our win would actually improve if the current devalued tournament disappeared, it'd become a matter of history and anyone interested would find out the context, instead of thinking it was as pointless then as it is now.
Carabao Cup - white flag raised already on 22:05 - Aug 21 with 1409 viewstoboboly

Carabao Cup - white flag raised already on 21:50 - Aug 21 by CiderwithRsie

If it was still one of three big prizes in Football all, with a proper place in Europe up for grabs, (and a proper name) of course I'd still want it kept.

But it's been downgraded by the attitude of the Prem clubs so much (mostly due to changes in European qualification) it's become a joke.

TBH I think the status of our win would actually improve if the current devalued tournament disappeared, it'd become a matter of history and anyone interested would find out the context, instead of thinking it was as pointless then as it is now.

You say it has been downgraded by the attitude of the PL clubs then immediately downplay it woth the same attitude. This competition os more important to is than anything in Europe and we should never forget it.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Carabao Cup - white flag raised already on 22:54 - Aug 21 with 1327 viewsDorse

I miss the Simod Cup.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Carabao Cup - white flag raised already on 23:22 - Aug 21 with 1286 viewsDannyPaddox

There'll always be a place in my heart for the DryWorld Trophy
Carabao Cup - white flag raised already on 23:23 - Aug 21 with 1286 viewsCiderwithRsie

Carabao Cup - white flag raised already on 22:05 - Aug 21 by toboboly

You say it has been downgraded by the attitude of the PL clubs then immediately downplay it woth the same attitude. This competition os more important to is than anything in Europe and we should never forget it.

The point is that it's not up to me to play it up or down. Who cares what I think? But the people who run football and the vast majority of football fans no longer care about it.

If we won it next year it'd be a great giant-killing but we have virtually zero chance of that, however hard we try, it is always won by big clubs in their spare time. If we did have a chance of winning it, no-one would give us any credit for doing so.

If the thing was buried now IMO it would allow the legacy of the past to be preserved
Carabao Cup - white flag raised already on 23:30 - Aug 21 with 1278 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

At least he’s honest.

It’s the flannel about strongest teams that gives me the hump.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024