Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What The Hell Are We Gonna Do? 17:34 - Dec 5 with 6283 viewsted_hendrix

C'mon for crying out loud we're going backwards, week on week or so It seems I'm never one for conspiracy theories but I'm convinced that there's something wrong behind the scenes.
I do my best not to over react after defeats but I'm at a loss tonight after that performance.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

What The Hell Are We Gonna Do? on 10:51 - Dec 6 with 1093 viewsR_from_afar

What The Hell Are We Gonna Do? on 08:28 - Dec 6 by daveB

central midfield has been a big problem all season, Carroll is good but we need someone better alongside him and what we do have don't protect the back 4 and don't get forward well enough. We are far too easy to play against.

This is a dire league this season but we are one of the worst teams in it at the moment, need a massive improvement in the coming weeks. Nowhere near good enough at the moment.

If Bettache is an energetic defensive midfielder, we need to give him some game time.

The defence needs a proper shield, Warburton's plan to press and attack hard early on, to get a good lead, is simply not working. Our attacking players are not good enough, our whole squad is not clinical enough, to be able to get two or three up then tough it out.

Unless we drastically improve our chance conversion rate, we simply can't stick to this "We're going to outscore" you approach.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

What The Hell Are We Gonna Do? on 11:01 - Dec 6 with 1070 viewsdistortR

What The Hell Are We Gonna Do? on 10:51 - Dec 6 by R_from_afar

If Bettache is an energetic defensive midfielder, we need to give him some game time.

The defence needs a proper shield, Warburton's plan to press and attack hard early on, to get a good lead, is simply not working. Our attacking players are not good enough, our whole squad is not clinical enough, to be able to get two or three up then tough it out.

Unless we drastically improve our chance conversion rate, we simply can't stick to this "We're going to outscore" you approach.

Is he though? I've no nidea, but am surprised he hasn't really had any game time this season as Warburton is reckoned to rate him.
What The Hell Are We Gonna Do? on 11:04 - Dec 6 with 1055 viewsGloucs_R

What The Hell Are We Gonna Do? on 11:01 - Dec 6 by distortR

Is he though? I've no nidea, but am surprised he hasn't really had any game time this season as Warburton is reckoned to rate him.

What Warburton says and what Warburton does are usually two different things.

Poll: Are we staying up?

What The Hell Are We Gonna Do? on 11:26 - Dec 6 with 1023 viewsWatfordR

Many have supported the idea of the club seeking to be self sufficient, buying cheap, selling on at a big profit, rinse and repeat, and often hold up Brentford as the model to aspire to.

One of the big differences in Brentford's model is that they spent the first four of five years establishing it in the division below, where you could get away with selling someone on and giving their replacements some time to settle in and improve without it necessarily costing you points every week.

The Championship is different. I've often said it before, it's 24 shades of average. Not much between any of the teams, just the odd difference in quality here and there. When you are taking the likes of Eze, Wells, Hugill and Manning out of an average team, and replacing them with players who are unproven - who may or may not improve - then you are likely going to see the team and its performances darken a few shades compared to everyone else.

It may be that simply staying up for a few seasons while those younger players improve and can be sold on for profit will be as good as we can hope for. Irrespective of FFP supposedly applying to everyone, it clearly doesn't, so either you agree that the club's operating model is the one you want to support, and live with the onfield ups and downs it inevitably brings at this level, or you don't, in which case you're quite within your rights to criticise the club for not "going for broke" whatever the long term consequences of that gamble.

For what it's worth, I agree with a comment that gazza1 made ( ) that it's a team that is likely to get better over the season. But I think sorting out the set piece defence ought to be an obvious quick fix that hasn't really improved over the last 18 months, and I'm not sure why that should be. Nothing to do with personnel, that's a coaching blind spot for my money, one that shouldn't cost much to sort out, and I do think either Warburton is forced to address it or has a fix forced upon him. It's the biggest criticism I have of our management, given that I like the emphasis on trying to play good football.
What The Hell Are We Gonna Do? on 11:46 - Dec 6 with 991 viewsDannytheR

Agreed. I'm always baffled by how much of easy ride Cameron gets given this.

I take it at face value that he's a good influence on the younger players in training, probably does a nice rousing Any Given Sunday speech in the dressing room etc, but for a midfield leader on the pitch he's invisible most of the time. And when he does make his presence felt, it's most likely to be with a hospital pass or falling over his own feet at crucial moments.

Carroll is what he is - I think it's a shame we obviously had to do an either/or with Ben Watson, but if anything he's performed above expectations.

But if we're crying out for a proper physical central midfielder to take games by the scruff of the neck - which we are and have been now for as long as I can remember - then frankly Cameron is a waste of a wage.

The irony is that after all the grief he took from some fans, Amos and his pressing was obviously making it a lot less noticeable just how poor (non existent) we are in the middle of the team.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2020 11:52]
What The Hell Are We Gonna Do? on 11:49 - Dec 6 with 980 viewsMelakaRanger

Like many on here the perfomances this year have left me at a loss. How can we be so good for 45 mins then so rubbish the next? How can we so nearly beat Bournmouth yet capitulate to Huddersfield? Same manager, same players yet wildly different performances, not only from match to match but from one half of the game to the other. Most perplexing, frustrating and to be honest bloo@y annoying

Why is the club I have followed for 53 years just so rubbish?

In my mind the decline happended the day they sold Sir Les to Newcastle and we have yet to fully recover from that mistake.

The knock on consequences of that one sale in 1995 caused a long 'dark ' period that we only came out of in the 2010/11 promotion year.

Despite all the good that Warnock did for us, in my mind the current rot actually started under his stewardship, in particular the immediate few weeks after the Fernandes take over. Warnock was given the keys to the sweet shop and he splashed buckets loads of cash on long contracts for a load of Flops & Has-beens like - Luke Young, Anton Ferdinand, SWP, Traore and Barton and members of our promotion winning team were cast aside.

The rot was underway when Hughes came in and made a bad situation far far worse. In just 318 days at the club he wasted far more money that Warnock and I believe that it is Hughes who ruined the club and when he finally left, I said at the time it would take us 10 years to recover from his (less than)1 year of miss-management .

QPR was riddled with rot when they replaced Hughes with Rednapp - who papered over the cracks by spending even more money on a mix of flops and short termers. He then legged it when the purse strings were finally shut to him.

Hughes and Rednapp eviserated the club and will go down as the worse managers and the worse period of management that QPR have ever had - and we have had some Humdingers in the past!

At the end of the day Fernandes and his mates allowed 3 managers to spend spend spend with no oversight or control. They thought they could trust the managers, trust the players. With the exception of a few players, they were totally wrong.

Would they have allowed their airline or port business to be run by managers like this? No they would not.

As a supporter of Fernades, I accept that since he took over any reasonable man would say that his time as Chaiman/Owner was a time of utter failure. But to their credit they have stayed the course, admitted their mistakes and continue to fund the club. many an owner would have walked leaving the club looking at Administration or being wound up.

So what can we supporters reasonably expect from a club that has had to suffer so much? I guess not a lot really.

Rednapp left us in Feb 2015. Assuming Fernandes/Ruben stay at the helm then I expect it will take us a good 10 years to recover from the consequences of Hughes/Rednapp era , so I dont expect us to have a decent 'winning' team until the 24/25 season at the earliest.

So until then I think there will be a lot more of what we saw yesterday. I will be happy of we avoid relegation this year and next.

The good times will come again. But not for a while yet and maybe not for a good few managers yet either.

If we go down, well we go down. Teams have dropped down to League 1/Division 3 over the years and rebuilt back up to a Premiership position.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2020 12:07]
What The Hell Are We Gonna Do? on 11:50 - Dec 6 with 977 viewsDannyPaddox

What The Hell Are We Gonna Do? on 12:04 - Dec 6 with 941 viewsParkRoyalR

Bettache impressed me when he played a recent cameo as looked quick over 10 yards,

Similar to Amos pace wise, but looked alot more aggressive in the tackle than Amos,

Bettache is 20 and was mentioned in comparison to Ball and Amos by Warbs earlier in the season,

We have n't got time to repeat the Eze on loan to Wycombe half season experiment,

Amos was key to Warbs Plan A, is out for the season, so we need a like 4 like replacement, and now, not in January.

Niko and Kane in a back 4 is what I call a risk! much more a risk than Bettache starting on Tuesday.
Login to get fewer ads

What The Hell Are We Gonna Do? on 13:49 - Dec 6 with 818 viewsnix

What The Hell Are We Gonna Do? on 12:04 - Dec 6 by ParkRoyalR

Bettache impressed me when he played a recent cameo as looked quick over 10 yards,

Similar to Amos pace wise, but looked alot more aggressive in the tackle than Amos,

Bettache is 20 and was mentioned in comparison to Ball and Amos by Warbs earlier in the season,

We have n't got time to repeat the Eze on loan to Wycombe half season experiment,

Amos was key to Warbs Plan A, is out for the season, so we need a like 4 like replacement, and now, not in January.

Niko and Kane in a back 4 is what I call a risk! much more a risk than Bettache starting on Tuesday.

I must admit I've been surprised not to see Bettache play when we're struggling so much in midfield, especially since losing Amos. I thought he looked okay in the matches after the first lockdown. He's neat, works hard and plays the simple ball from memory. I can understand we wouldn't hang him out to dry against Brentford or Bristol City but give him a chance against Huddersfield.

I also agree we need a couple of decent experienced players who've played in the Championship on loan in January. Maybe a CH and a DCM. But not someone whose legs have gone, we need someone reasonably mobile.
What The Hell Are We Gonna Do? on 14:39 - Dec 6 with 742 viewsloftus77

What The Hell Are We Gonna Do? on 11:49 - Dec 6 by MelakaRanger

Like many on here the perfomances this year have left me at a loss. How can we be so good for 45 mins then so rubbish the next? How can we so nearly beat Bournmouth yet capitulate to Huddersfield? Same manager, same players yet wildly different performances, not only from match to match but from one half of the game to the other. Most perplexing, frustrating and to be honest bloo@y annoying

In my mind the decline happended the day they sold Sir Les to Newcastle and we have yet to fully recover from that mistake.

The knock on consequences of that one sale in 1995 caused a long 'dark ' period that we only came out of in the 2010/11 promotion year.

Despite all the good that Warnock did for us, in my mind the current rot actually started under his stewardship, in particular the immediate few weeks after the Fernandes take over. Warnock was given the keys to the sweet shop and he splashed buckets loads of cash on long contracts for a load of Flops & Has-beens like - Luke Young, Anton Ferdinand, SWP, Traore and Barton and members of our promotion winning team were cast aside.

The rot was underway when Hughes came in and made a bad situation far far worse. In just 318 days at the club he wasted far more money that Warnock and I believe that it is Hughes who ruined the club and when he finally left, I said at the time it would take us 10 years to recover from his (less than)1 year of miss-management .

QPR was riddled with rot when they replaced Hughes with Rednapp - who papered over the cracks by spending even more money on a mix of flops and short termers. He then legged it when the purse strings were finally shut to him.

Hughes and Rednapp eviserated the club and will go down as the worse managers and the worse period of management that QPR have ever had - and we have had some Humdingers in the past!

At the end of the day Fernandes and his mates allowed 3 managers to spend spend spend with no oversight or control. They thought they could trust the managers, trust the players. With the exception of a few players, they were totally wrong.

Would they have allowed their airline or port business to be run by managers like this? No they would not.

As a supporter of Fernades, I accept that since he took over any reasonable man would say that his time as Chaiman/Owner was a time of utter failure. But to their credit they have stayed the course, admitted their mistakes and continue to fund the club. many an owner would have walked leaving the club looking at Administration or being wound up.

So what can we supporters reasonably expect from a club that has had to suffer so much? I guess not a lot really.

Rednapp left us in Feb 2015. Assuming Fernandes/Ruben stay at the helm then I expect it will take us a good 10 years to recover from the consequences of Hughes/Rednapp era , so I dont expect us to have a decent 'winning' team until the 24/25 season at the earliest.

So until then I think there will be a lot more of what we saw yesterday. I will be happy of we avoid relegation this year and next.

The good times will come again. But not for a while yet and maybe not for a good few managers yet either.

If we go down, well we go down. Teams have dropped down to League 1/Division 3 over the years and rebuilt back up to a Premiership position.

Really good assessment - but I just particularly want to applaud your 3rd para because I think that claim has always been absolutely key. And I've always felt that Sir Les knows it which is maybe why he's soldiering on here to try and do his best to give something back(?).

Rangers regrets? 'There's been a few' - but the one I always think of is the Thompsons (whatever you think of them) not selling up in the summer of 1995 instead of 1996. That period 95-96 was always crucial (much more than 2010-15 IMHO) and still has a direct link to yesterday's debacle.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2020 14:44]
What The Hell Are We Gonna Do? on 14:54 - Dec 6 with 718 viewsfrancisbowles

Dieng excepted, the whole team were very poor yesterday. Cameron and Kane came back into the team after injury and suspension having previously been our best performers in those positions. Other options in those positions haven't been performing as well and have been making mistakes as well.

Cameron may be a bit past it but he is the only really experienced head in the squad, apart from Wallace. He really has to be first choice when fit and reasonably rested, until we find better. I said we should have rested him for the Rotherham game but we didn't, he got injured and we really missed him when he went off and in those difficult second halves against the two Bs.

As for finding combative midfielders, experienced full backs and an old head centre back, we tried in the summer and we couldn't get them for a few different reasons. Money, money, money! It is going to be even more difficult in January especially this season as almost everyone's injury stats are up.

So we will try but for the most part we are stuck with what we have.
What The Hell Are We Gonna Do? on 18:14 - Dec 7 with 490 viewsTGRRRSSS

If we go down I can see us drifting further into the Abyss of League 1 League 2 in the longer term, as I have little faith in the people who own the club anymore.

Really hope I'm wrong if such a thing happened, but there's a certain malaise I feel settling in at the club.

No doubt a win tomorrow night will be the tonic for us all but...???
What The Hell Are We Gonna Do? on 18:50 - Dec 7 with 466 viewsPinnerPaul

What The Hell Are We Gonna Do? on 17:50 - Dec 5 by Gloucs_R

Balance the books, sell the club? It's that what they are doing?

We can't compete longer term like this. Not if we want to be competitive.

Well clearly we can as we have been bottom half since we came down.

And it is possible as the 'books' have been getting better in that time.

Clive has explained very clearly what he thinks the model is, so it IS possible, whether we can achieve it , is of course another matter entirely.
What The Hell Are We Gonna Do? on 19:24 - Dec 7 with 431 viewspaulparker

What The Hell Are We Gonna Do? on 11:49 - Dec 6 by MelakaRanger

It won’t be that easy to bounce back from league one ask Ipswich & Sunderland fans

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

What The Hell Are We Gonna Do? on 19:38 - Dec 7 with 412 viewsGloucs_R

What The Hell Are We Gonna Do? on 18:50 - Dec 7 by PinnerPaul

Well clearly we can as we have been bottom half since we came down.

And it is possible as the 'books' have been getting better in that time.

Clive has explained very clearly what he thinks the model is, so it IS possible, whether we can achieve it , is of course another matter entirely.

I guess it depends on what level we want to compete at. I would accept the championship if we were top 10 and pushing for the playoffs every season. I think being in the bottom 8 is a failure for a club like ours.

A new stadium is a must. If we have a new stadium, finances under control, new training ground and a competitive championship team....I would say that would be hugely successful.

Someone mentioned 2025...I think that's reasonable if they committed to the above

Poll: Are we staying up?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024