Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sundays 21:32 - Jan 15 with 2161 viewsqprxtc

Were they as boringly crap as we remember before 1994(ush)

Pubs opened at midday then closed at 3pm and didn’t open till 7.30 and closed again at 10.30.

Shops couldn’t open and you had to buy your papers and magazines at random stalls at tube stations.

Tv was three (four max) of old films and religious nonsense. Like now but barely allowed out.

Ho hum
Sundays on 21:34 - Jan 15 with 1943 viewsCiderwithRsie

"Like now but barely allowed out. "

So, exactly like now?
Sundays on 22:21 - Jan 15 with 1848 viewsqprxtc

He shoots he scores

1/1
Sundays on 22:27 - Jan 15 with 1836 viewscolinallcars

Midday 'til 2pm for pubs. Newsagents open alright. But yes it could be a boring day.
I remember a load of us leaving the Pav at 2pm and going to play football over the Scrubs unlike sensible folk that played in the morning and went to the Pav at midday.
Sundays on 22:28 - Jan 15 with 1826 views2Thomas2Bowles

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Sundays on 22:34 - Jan 15 with 1810 viewsBoston

Yeah, last orders at 2pm, stagger out squinting in the sunlight but...home for Mums Sunday roast, the Big Match, then Nicky Horne's American football round up, though I sometimes succumbed to ...

So, unless I was drinking local, not really that much time to kill until opening.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Sundays on 22:42 - Jan 15 with 1793 viewsted_hendrix

I worked in Leith docks Edinburgh in the early 70's in the heavy crane industry, as I recall pubs never opened Sunday dinnertime, you had to get to a hotel sharpish as hotel bars In Scotland were allowed to open for one Hour only, It was the same In Wales when I was working in Powys one hour only in a hotel bar.

There were corner shops back then but shut all day Sundays.

Pubs in Newbury called The Catharine Wheel and the Bricklayers Arms where you could get a 'lock In' at most closing times.

Couldn't tell you what was on the TV back then on a Sunday, probably the same as now (shit).

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Sundays on 22:50 - Jan 15 with 1776 viewsqprxtc

Ted. That’s how it was mate. Sunday’s.

The test of the week wasn’t much better. Pubs shut at 3pm to 5pm. 1988 it changed.
Sundays on 22:53 - Jan 15 with 1766 viewsQPRSteve

Sundays on 22:50 - Jan 15 by qprxtc

The test of the week wasn’t much better. Pubs shut at 3pm to 5pm. 1988 it changed.

I thought you would have been a regular for the lock ins at the Mail Coach Liam.
Login to get fewer ads

Sundays on 22:57 - Jan 15 with 1751 viewsqprxtc

Sundays on 22:53 - Jan 15 by QPRSteve

I thought you would have been a regular for the lock ins at the Mail Coach Liam.

The Mailcoach. Steve, mate. Right behind ya!

If Willy allowed it.
Sundays on 23:41 - Jan 15 with 1701 viewsBoston

'55 in Oz, well into the '60's before the Kiwi's changed it.

Sundays on 01:06 - Jan 16 with 1623 viewstimcocking

What's sad is, all the beautiful south sea islands are perpetually locked down on pain of eternal Hellfire and damnation every Sunday, thanks to those evil lying missionaries brainwashing and manipulating all the locals with their wicked bulls!t. To think of how idyllic those places were before the religious psychos reached them and how they've been totally ruined now is a real tragedy.
Sundays on 01:10 - Jan 16 with 1627 viewsBoston

Sundays on 01:06 - Jan 16 by timcocking

What's sad is, all the beautiful south sea islands are perpetually locked down on pain of eternal Hellfire and damnation every Sunday, thanks to those evil lying missionaries brainwashing and manipulating all the locals with their wicked bulls!t. To think of how idyllic those places were before the religious psychos reached them and how they've been totally ruined now is a real tragedy.

Missionary Position R Us.

Sundays on 02:03 - Jan 16 with 1588 viewsFredManRave

Sundays on 22:57 - Jan 15 by qprxtc

The Mailcoach. Steve, mate. Right behind ya!

If Willy allowed it.

Ah Willy. What a legend! He'd allow anything and you'd never know if he was for or against it because the profanities flew either way. Never met anyone that swore so much. Literally fcúking every cnùting other wàkning word!

The Mailcoach was our pregame venue of choice mainly due to the Willy show but never ever made it there post game! Whitehorse was always the closest place to start drowning the postmatch sorrows!

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Sundays on 10:16 - Jan 16 with 1457 viewsterryb

I thought Sunday's were quite good actually!

Get up at 9.30 & off to play football (kick off 10.30). In the pub till 2.00pm (the best session of the week). Go home & take the tasteless dried up roast out of the oven & eat it in front of the telesision.

The Big Match, Danger Man(?) & Please Sir. Drive to my gran's for Sunday tea, Sunday Evening service at the parish church & finish up back in my local OR a family visit (including uncles, aunts, cousins) to a village pub.

Back to work on the Monday for a rest!
Sundays on 10:41 - Jan 16 with 1416 viewsRs_Holy

Sundays on 10:16 - Jan 16 by terryb

Get up at 9.30 & off to play football (kick off 10.30). In the pub till 2.00pm (the best session of the week). Go home & take the tasteless dried up roast out of the oven & eat it in front of the telesision.

The Big Match, Danger Man(?) & Please Sir. Drive to my gran's for Sunday tea, Sunday Evening service at the parish church & finish up back in my local OR a family visit (including uncles, aunts, cousins) to a village pub.

1970s TV = Thunderbirds followed by the Big Match... maybe Open All Hours early evening?... that was about it on a Sunday
Sundays on 10:56 - Jan 16 with 1386 viewsDavieQPR

Complete opposite for me. All night working to get the existing show at The Palladium into vans for storage and unloading and rigging scenery for the ATV Sunday night show Next was rehearsals then actual show and then loading back into lorries. Back at 9AM Monday to reset existing show.
Sundays on 11:11 - Jan 16 with 1363 viewsDannyPaddox

Love this post - it’s like listening to one side of a Kinks album.
Sundays on 11:15 - Jan 16 with 1354 viewsHayesender

Sundays on summer holidays in Ireland were the worst. My brother and I would literally sit around on a Sunday morning for about 300 hours waiting for the church bells to ring at midday.

This meant the ammusment arcade was now open as far as we were concerned, and off we'd go to play and pacman, space invaders, and defender for hours on end.

Pre-covid boredom was proper boredom

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Sundays on 11:32 - Jan 16 with 1323 views2Thomas2Bowles

Much like terryb

1970's

As a young teenager was always out Football for a team or over the park or on the Green come rain or shine.

Underage 16/(17) drinking in the Greyhound FPR watching the strippers, the Mail Coach and playing pool in the evening, other pubs around the green 18 onwards

Sunday dinner the big match and some of the others mentioned

Only boring if you were a girl wanting to go shopping, my sisters hated Sundays. they had to do the cooking with Mum and clean the home and scream a lot.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2021 11:38]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Sundays on 12:00 - Jan 16 with 1278 viewshantssi

Pretty sure it came in on a Friday.
I remember taking a day off work with my mates so we could “celebrate” by drinking all day.
Pubs still shut at 11pm though.
Sundays on 19:49 - Jan 17 with 1071 viewsted_hendrix

Well this turned out to be a crap bloody Sunday, I've just opened a tub of Waitrose soft scoop raspberry ripple that I bought for the Grandchildren when they visit and the bloody stuff is anything but soft scoop it's bloody rock hard and frozen solid, took me almost 5 minutes to get some of it out and into the bowl, and another thing when you scrape the top off there is hardly any raspberry ripple beneath the top!!! hardly what you would call ripple.

Office of Fair Trading will be hearing from me tomorrow.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Sundays on 21:46 - Jan 17 with 999 viewsMickS

Sundays on 10:41 - Jan 16 by Rs_Holy

1970s TV = Thunderbirds followed by the Big Match... maybe Open All Hours early evening?... that was about it on a Sunday

Captain Scarlett before The Big Match and Hawaii 5 O in the evening with some Cracker Barrel cheese ( black wrapper) and Ritz biscuits. Sunday was great.
Sundays on 21:53 - Jan 17 with 987 viewsStanisgod

Sundays on 22:34 - Jan 15 by Boston

Yeah, last orders at 2pm, stagger out squinting in the sunlight but...home for Mums Sunday roast, the Big Match, then Nicky Horne's American football round up, though I sometimes succumbed to ...

So, unless I was drinking local, not really that much time to kill until opening.

That's the perfect Sunday, or was. Shops shut on a Sunday was the best thing of the lot then.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Sundays on 22:28 - Jan 17 with 944 viewshantssi

Sounds like my Sundays.
Up with a hangover for Sunday morning footie, Wembley CSA in the Hayes & District League (some choice oppos as you can imagine), back to the club for a few, DRIVE home, dinner, Big Match, kip, St. John’s at Wembley Triangle for an evening sesh as they had a liberal view of the licensing laws, bed, work Monday.
I don’t remember not having a hangover at work on a Monday morning!!
[Post edited 17 Jan 2021 22:31]
Sundays on 11:25 - Jan 18 with 781 viewsfrancisbowles

The thing was Sunday was Sunday. It was bloody different!. So was Saturday with the 92 all in action at 3pm, unless there was someone like Southend that played on a Friday night.

Monday to Friday were, pretty much, the same but the weekends were very different.

Now every day is virtually the same, especially during covid!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024