Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
HMRC Scams 09:03 - Jan 27 with 15601 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Had a text today saying I was due a rebate and click this link.....the text was from a mobile .

I blocked and reported and checked the HMRC website apparently a lot of vermin are trying this with covid related ones.

You may want to tell more vunerable people 'no clicky strange text linky'

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

HMRC Scams on 16:26 - Feb 28 with 2645 viewsPinnerPaul

Mentioned before, easy to mock but they do get joy.

Just had the Cyber Crime report for Hillingdon from the police for January.

£555,000 lost to scams - that's ONE month, ONE borough!
HMRC Scams on 10:17 - Apr 1 with 2355 viewsToast_R

Thought I'd bring this up as its happening right now.

This £150 energy rebate payments the council will be paying out to Council Tax payers in bands A to D

There is a scam going on right now where people are cold calling pretending to be from respective councils asking for bank details so they can pay the rebate. Council's are not doing this.

Tell your friends/family if you think they're vulnerable to scammers.
HMRC Scams on 10:42 - Apr 25 with 2172 viewsMetallica_Hoop

RIP Cryptoland.

It's been fun.

HMRC Scams on 10:47 - Apr 25 with 2161 viewsNorthernr

Had a new one the other day that I haven't come across before.
ID withheld call on the mobile.
Hi mate, it's Robert from next door, have you got a minute?
(pretty sure my neighbour isn't called Robert, but ok)
Look, I don't want to be a dick about it but I know that you or your housemate smokes in the garden and quite a lot of the butts are scattered across my side of the fence.
(ok, so now I know it's bolox, because neither of us do)
Yeh, in fact my planters look like you've literally emptied the ashtray into them and are going to need replanting. They've also burned and ruined a couple of my shirts on the washing line. It's completely out of order mate, they were expensive shirts...
(at this point I hung up but presumably it was about to ask for a contribution).
HMRC Scams on 12:27 - Apr 25 with 2034 viewsdanehoop

Either a wrong number (seems unlikely) or just plain lazy scam that one.

Never knowingly understood

HMRC Scams on 13:53 - Apr 25 with 1955 viewsR_from_afar

I've been getting a lot of calls claiming to be from Domestic and General.

I always respond by telling them I'm more of a Captain and Tennille man, so kindly buzz off

In all seriousness, be careful, there really are scammers ringing people about D&G insurance renewals. I normally tell them I find it strange that they are 'phoning me given that all previous correspondence has been by mail.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

HMRC Scams on 14:13 - Apr 25 with 1929 viewsPinnerPaul

HMRC Scams on 13:53 - Apr 25 by R_from_afar

I've been getting a lot of calls claiming to be from Domestic and General.

I always respond by telling them I'm more of a Captain and Tennille man, so kindly buzz off

In all seriousness, be careful, there really are scammers ringing people about D&G insurance renewals. I normally tell them I find it strange that they are 'phoning me given that all previous correspondence has been by mail.

Had that one before as well.
HMRC Scams on 14:49 - Apr 25 with 1888 viewsbollockchops

if you worked from home during the pandemic your entitled to £312 for one year this is with taxcredits/rebate is this dodgy ? the office is in cardiff !
Login to get fewer ads

HMRC Scams on 15:13 - Apr 25 with 1848 viewsslmrstid

HMRC Scams on 14:49 - Apr 25 by bollockchops

if you worked from home during the pandemic your entitled to £312 for one year this is with taxcredits/rebate is this dodgy ? the office is in cardiff !

£312 was allowable as a tax deduction for the WFH lockdown year as a flat rate to anyone who spent even a week working from home.

The relief though is 20% of that (assuming you are a BR taxpayer), so £62.40 is the effective "cash" amount before you get excited to spend all of it at once ;)

I claimed it through changing my tax code just over a year ago.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2022 15:13]
HMRC Scams on 15:24 - Apr 25 with 1818 viewsNorthernr

HMRC Scams on 12:27 - Apr 25 by danehoop

Either a wrong number (seems unlikely) or just plain lazy scam that one.

Yeh it was a recorded message, tried to reply to them at first and it just carries on whether you say anything, anything irrelevant, or nothing.
HMRC Scams on 15:32 - Apr 25 with 1802 viewsbollockchops

HMRC Scams on 15:13 - Apr 25 by slmrstid

£312 was allowable as a tax deduction for the WFH lockdown year as a flat rate to anyone who spent even a week working from home.

The relief though is 20% of that (assuming you are a BR taxpayer), so £62.40 is the effective "cash" amount before you get excited to spend all of it at once ;)

I claimed it through changing my tax code just over a year ago.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2022 15:13]

the letter looks legit but why do they need my bank details ?
HMRC Scams on 15:46 - Apr 25 with 1784 viewsLimehouseR

HMRC Scams on 10:47 - Apr 25 by Northernr

Had a new one the other day that I haven't come across before.
ID withheld call on the mobile.
Hi mate, it's Robert from next door, have you got a minute?
(pretty sure my neighbour isn't called Robert, but ok)
Look, I don't want to be a dick about it but I know that you or your housemate smokes in the garden and quite a lot of the butts are scattered across my side of the fence.
(ok, so now I know it's bolox, because neither of us do)
Yeh, in fact my planters look like you've literally emptied the ashtray into them and are going to need replanting. They've also burned and ruined a couple of my shirts on the washing line. It's completely out of order mate, they were expensive shirts...
(at this point I hung up but presumably it was about to ask for a contribution).

I had a similar one whereby the neighbour threatens to call the police because of a smell of cannabis.
It was a prank from a 'friend'. I think you can get a variety of them online or something so it was probably someone you know trying to wind you up...
HMRC Scams on 16:19 - Apr 25 with 1740 viewsslmrstid

HMRC Scams on 15:32 - Apr 25 by bollockchops

the letter looks legit but why do they need my bank details ?

To be honest I would be contacting HMRC directly myself to get it sorted. The letter could be an attempted scam (or one of these "Tax Reclaim" companies that charge you fees to do something you can do yourself entirely for free).

If it is an attempted scam they'd be using something real, to try and scam you. Which I guess is perfectly possible!
HMRC Scams on 12:03 - Apr 27 with 1453 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

I’ve been getting loads of ‘unwanted’ calls on my work landline recently. 3 already this morning. 2 from a recorded message something to do with my amazon account (I haven’t bought anything directly from amazon in 4-5 years). 1 from a call centre somewhere probably about business rates reductions.

I do wonder whether the telephone companies are complicit in some of these. A bit like how the post office tried to make up for lost revenue by allowing more junk mail. I wouldn’t be surprised let’s put it that way!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

HMRC Scams on 13:35 - Apr 27 with 1367 viewsloftboy

I changed my number 5 years ago, now daily I get a call asking to speak to Miichael Carter, I tell them it’s not me , I don’t know him and to please stop ringing me, lost my rag yesterday and ended up telling someone to Fûck off.
Don’t want tot change my number again as it’s too much hassle telling everyone.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

HMRC Scams on 13:47 - Apr 27 with 1352 viewsstowmarketrange

HMRC Scams on 13:35 - Apr 27 by loftboy

I changed my number 5 years ago, now daily I get a call asking to speak to Miichael Carter, I tell them it’s not me , I don’t know him and to please stop ringing me, lost my rag yesterday and ended up telling someone to Fûck off.

I have an answerphone and I don’t answer any calls from numbers I don’t recognise unless they leave a message.The scammers and cold callers hang up straight away.
HMRC Scams on 13:53 - Apr 27 with 1346 viewsNorthernr

HMRC Scams on 13:35 - Apr 27 by loftboy

Michael Carter is actually the owner of Wakefield Trinity so if you can get some gos on who they're signing for next season please do...
HMRC Scams on 15:19 - Apr 27 with 1246 viewsBklynRanger

HMRC Scams on 12:07 - Jul 3 by PinnerPaul

Quick tip - if anyone has ever tried to create a Gov.uk log in they will know that it is a LOT, LOT, LOT, LOT harder and more involved than just clicking on a link.

Did it for me and Mrs Pinner and took about 15 minutes for each of us and some of the questions are very tricky.

You also need your passport amongst many other details.

Sooooo if it ain't very very very complicated it ain't the HMRC!

That's very true - my wife got stuck in an identity verification vortex with them a couple of months ago. In the end we figured out they were using a previous name that she hadn't used for years and for some reason they have it spelt wrong. That'll be fun to fix.

So she was never going to pass - the eventual answer from them was "Not everyone is able to create an online account" which seemed a bit daft when one of the four forms of acceptable ID is a Northern Ireland driving license - which "not everyone" phoning in will even have. (I would qualify for that culturally but not in terms of actual ability to drive).
[Post edited 27 Apr 2022 15:20]
HMRC Scams on 15:52 - Apr 27 with 1215 viewsPinnerPaul

HMRC Scams on 15:19 - Apr 27 by BklynRanger

That's very true - my wife got stuck in an identity verification vortex with them a couple of months ago. In the end we figured out they were using a previous name that she hadn't used for years and for some reason they have it spelt wrong. That'll be fun to fix.

So she was never going to pass - the eventual answer from them was "Not everyone is able to create an online account" which seemed a bit daft when one of the four forms of acceptable ID is a Northern Ireland driving license - which "not everyone" phoning in will even have. (I would qualify for that culturally but not in terms of actual ability to drive).

Just to add, once you DO manage to get an account, you then have to quote that log in ID and THEN each time you use it they send you a code (valid for only 15 mins) to your phone to log in.

As I said previously if its easy and/or a phone call its not HMRC!
[Post edited 27 Apr 2022 17:24]
HMRC Scams on 16:44 - Apr 27 with 1162 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

HMRC Scams on 15:19 - Apr 27 by BklynRanger

I’ve got this thing whenever I do my tax return where HMRC keep putting an old address down as my home address. I keep updating it every year but it always reverts back. I’m sure it’s going to cause me problems at some stage.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

HMRC Scams on 18:24 - Apr 27 with 1079 viewsdmm

HMRC Scams on 12:03 - Apr 27 by CliveWilsonSaid

I’ve been getting loads of ‘unwanted’ calls on my work landline recently. 3 already this morning. 2 from a recorded message something to do with my amazon account (I haven’t bought anything directly from amazon in 4-5 years). 1 from a call centre somewhere probably about business rates reductions.

I do wonder whether the telephone companies are complicit in some of these. A bit like how the post office tried to make up for lost revenue by allowing more junk mail. I wouldn’t be surprised let’s put it that way!

I'm sure you're right about telephone companies following the Post Office's example, Clive. If we ever needed an example showing why we should never privatise a national service, the Post Office is a particularly good one.
HMRC Scams on 11:36 - Apr 28 with 927 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I had and energy company call me (think they were genuine)

I told them no don't call me again. In the meantime I looked up where they are (baker street) so of course they called me.

I asked "is your call center in Baker Street as well? As it's on my way home and I told you not to call me, what's your name?" phone was put down.

They didn't call me again.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024